• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Zac wrote:
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
B-List? HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME IS NOT B-LIST!

Frankly, it is the best animated Disney movie of all time.

I like that movie a lot myself but it isn't exactly unfair to call it B-list. It isn't one of their revered classics or anything.

If the talking gargoyles and their extremely out-of-place humor had been omitted from the movie it would've made it a lot better. They did a pretty decent job of keeping the story together without some of the other important characters from the novel.

The gargoyles allowed the filmmakers to convey what Quasimodo was going through without having him talk to himself, as well as supply a fun musical number. They were probably in his head all along anyway (disregard the two-second clips of them defending Notre Dame).
As for the humor... well... it wouldn't be a disney movie without it!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

And maybe you should try Mass Effect 2 for yourself and form your own opinion. 2 is a meaner, darker game. It's a bit like Empire Strikes Back compared to 1's A New Hope. 3 is an even bigger improvement on combat mechanics, shooting is tighter with a greater variety of weapons/armor and abilities.

The thing about graphics is just from past experience with other people. I think Minecraft is a part of this belief people have were developers are either triple A developers, or are independent developers made up of a small team. A company like say Banpresto, or Monolith really doesnt fit either criteria.

For me it depends on how you use it, Masamune, and Xenoblade are both for the Wii but their design work is so great that they look better than most high budget PS3/X-Box 360 games.

I dont like shooters, while I can stand 3rd person shooters to a point, I just hate cover based shooting as a whole. I don't have a lot of money and I would rather spend it on games like Last Story(were I want to support the developer), and Disgaea 4 (I love turn based strategy) than to see if Mass Effect 2 is one of the few shooters I like.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Have you seen what several prominent critics have stated? How many articles on major websites have articles claiming that Final Fantasy should completely revamp how they make games by ripping off bioware? FF maybe one of my favorite franchises but I am not going to play an FF if they removed everything I love for boring cover based first person shooting.

The Kotaku review for Xenoblade list "Its a wi game" as a major detraction for the game. Sure lets just jack up the budget tens of millions more and guarantee that the game is a major money loser just so it can slightly look better.

My favorite critique I saw on a 'professional site' was. "Con: Has anime art."

animehermit wrote:
When people say they want to make it more like a Bioware game, they don't mean "boring cover based first person shooter" (which, by the way, is not any game made by Bioware), they mean they need to evolve. Bioware used to make games that were top down RPG's, games that had really great stories but lackluster combat. Over time they've evolved to the point of a game like Mass Effect. The reason people play is the same, the story, but the combat sections have turned from lackluster to fun (the old games had their moments with good strategic elements, but I feel the bad outweighed the good). The lines are blurring on what makes a game an RPG, hell the latest call of duty has more RPG elements than Final Fantasy XIII

It's ironic because FF13 sold more than any Mass Effect game did... shouldn't we be saying Bioware should take some tips from Square-Enix in this case? Bioware's hardly some paragon. I think after DA2, ME, and TOR... (i.e. after EA snatched them up) they're hardly people to aspire to. Ironically, their 'lackluster' days as you put it were their prime years.

Then again, if you don't like FPS games Mass Effect won't do anything for you. It's hardly a case of 'now it's fun' and clear cut when it comes to combat.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Poor Dave. I mean honestly, writing a review that calls out some of sillier elements of the KH franchise, towards a fan-base known to go nuts the moment its (many) faults are even suggested; you may as well have posted an article calling Nintendo irrelevant for all the balanced criticism you’ll receive!

I love the KH series, but even I can’t deny what a garbled mess the story is at this stage. Honestly, that’s kinda why I like it. Still, saying that the plot-points & character motivations make sense if you pay enough attention is really missing the point guys! It’s just like those hardcore Type Moon fans who dredge up their encyclopaedic knowledge of the Nasuverse to defend the Fate franchise. It still doesn’t mean the finished product is necessarily any good; just that you have book's worth of back-story to explain away the nonsense!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's ironic because FF13 sold more than any Mass Effect game did... shouldn't we be saying Bioware should take some tips from Square-Enix in this case? Bioware's hardly some paragon. I think after DA2, ME, and TOR... (i.e. after EA snatched them up) they're hardly people to aspire to. Ironically, their 'lackluster' days as you put it were their prime years.

Then again, if you don't like FPS games Mass Effect won't do anything for you. It's hardly a case of 'now it's fun' and clear cut when it comes to combat.

False, this is only the case in Japan, globally FF13's numbers are not even that good, even for a game in a franchise that has been built up for decades longer than Mass Effect. Man, even your numbers now are skewed by your anti-west soapboxing. Dear god man, you ever going to step off that soapbox?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
I actually liked this game a lot. Way more than the other handhelds at least!

I didn't really like the dream eaters aspect, as party members. It was fine I guess, but I just didn't care to change and train them at all. I just liked naming them random Disney and Final Fantasy references. But I had the same reaction to it overall as I did to the FFXIII-2 monsters - I just didn't give a crap.

I really enjoyed combat though, the Flowmotion and Reality Shifts aspect. For one, I thought it was neat that Reality Shift was different for each world, and mainly that the touch screen was actually used for something (usually it's just a map, unless I am forgetting it's other uses in previous KH games). Flowmotion was a fun addition to combat. The only thing I didn't like about it was it could become too easy to spam masses of monsters with it. If I was in trouble all I'd have to do was use "Shock Dive" over and over to win. Actually the game was pretty easy overall. Hopefully Critical mode will be harder, cause Proud was a piece of cake. I was only level 36 when I beat both stories, and I beat those last boss groups with ease, I feel I could have been lower. (What level was everyone else at the end?)

I liked how Dropping worked... sort of. I thought it was cool when I dropped as Sora during my first boss fight. I thought it'd be exciting to be tossed back into the battle when I came back (I just needed a couple more hits and was dying myself). And then I came back to find I had to restart the fight Sad But I enjoyed doing the stories simultaneously much more than how BBS worked. It made it feel much less repetitive.

The stays in the worlds were a little short and I felt like Riku and Sora were merely bystanders half the time. They didn't feel truly incorporated in some worlds, like The Grid. But once I got to the end of the game, I thought it was worth it. I really enjoyed those last parts. spoiler[That part where Riku answers the three questions on Destiny Islands made me feel like a little kid again playing KH for my first time :3] As for the plot having "little bearing on the overall series" spoiler[ isn't Sora falling into darkness, and Riku becoming a master pretty important? That alone made it feel more important than the entirety of 358/2 Days]

And before I forget, I would like to say how much I LOVED the Fantasia world! Maybe cause I was in orchestra in middle school and we watched Fantasia in class like every other week, but it was so fun to travel through those worlds, with the music in the background and all the voices removed, really made it feel like I was in Fantasia. Very Happy
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Magna_Lilly wrote:
I actually liked this game a lot. Way more than the other handhelds at least!

I didn't really like the dream eaters aspect, as party members. It was fine I guess, but I just didn't care to change and train them at all. I just liked naming them random Disney and Final Fantasy references. But I had the same reaction to it overall as I did to the FFXIII-2 monsters - I just didn't give a crap.

I really enjoyed combat though, the Flowmotion and Reality Shifts aspect. For one, I thought it was neat that Reality Shift was different for each world, and mainly that the touch screen was actually used for something (usually it's just a map, unless I am forgetting it's other uses in previous KH games). Flowmotion was a fun addition to combat. The only thing I didn't like about it was it could become too easy to spam masses of monsters with it. If I was in trouble all I'd have to do was use "Shock Dive" over and over to win. Actually the game was pretty easy overall. Hopefully Critical mode will be harder, cause Proud was a piece of cake. I was only level 36 when I beat both stories, and I beat those last boss groups with ease, I feel I could have been lower. (What level was everyone else at the end?)

I liked how Dropping worked... sort of. I thought it was cool when I dropped as Sora during my first boss fight. I thought it'd be exciting to be tossed back into the battle when I came back (I just needed a couple more hits and was dying myself). And then I came back to find I had to restart the fight Sad But I enjoyed doing the stories simultaneously much more than how BBS worked. It made it feel much less repetitive.

The stays in the worlds were a little short and I felt like Riku and Sora were merely bystanders half the time. They didn't feel truly incorporated in some worlds, like The Grid. But once I got to the end of the game, I thought it was worth it. I really enjoyed those last parts. spoiler[That part where Riku answers the three questions on Destiny Islands made me feel like a little kid again playing KH for my first time :3] As for the plot having "little bearing on the overall series" spoiler[ isn't Sora falling into darkness, and Riku becoming a master pretty important? That alone made it feel more important than the entirety of 358/2 Days]

And before I forget, I would like to say how much I LOVED the Fantasia world! Maybe cause I was in orchestra in middle school and we watched Fantasia in class like every other week, but it was so fun to travel through those worlds, with the music in the background and all the voices removed, really made it feel like I was in Fantasia. Very Happy

You thought this game was EASY!?? I was just saying to a friend that I knew no one would complain about the easiness of this game because it wasn't Anime hyper At least for me. This has to be the KH game that I died the most during boss battles. I beat the game at level 34 btw. Next time I play I'll make sure to level up more Anime hyper
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that it is still fun to play but the fact that this game is only a precursor to Kingdom Hearts 3 rather than stand alone is rather concerning but I'll still give it a shot since I loved playng 352/2 Days and trying to get that coded game too.

As for future properties that Kingdom Hearts can crossover into, why hasn't any characters from Shonen Gangen showed up since Square Enix owns that magazine? I would love it if characters from FMA and Soul Eater were to show up since it is the magazine's most popular and more well known titles.

As for any new Disney properties that Disney could add into Kingdom Hearts 3, it may be crazy but I want The Avengers to show up as one of the new worlds that Sora travels to because since Disney bought Marvel and that Kingdom Hearts is a major Disney property, I say sure, why not? It would make Marvel fans want to buy the game because of that alone and this would be a Disney/Marvel crossover that I would gladly support unlike the upcoming Phineas and Ferb crossover coming out next year.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Of the extra games I've only played birth by sleep, so plot wise I still know what's going on. Well maybe I don't, but it all still makes sense to me.

I do really want this new one but alas, I do not own a 3DS. But this review has left me feeling tempted. Very tempted, maybe I'll buy myself one next week, when I get back my exam results...
Correl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

False, this is only the case in Japan, globally FF13's numbers are not even that good, even for a game in a franchise that has been built up for decades longer than Mass Effect. Man, even your numbers now are skewed by your anti-west soapboxing. Dear god man, you ever going to step off that soapbox?

Looking at www.vgchartz.com, the games break down as follows:
Mass Effect 2:
Japan - .06 Million
Non-Japan - 4.25 Million
Total - 4.31 Million

Mass Effect 3:
Japan - .04 Million
Non-Japan - 3.77 Million
Total - 3.81 Million

Final Fantasy XIII
Japan - 1.88 Million
Non-Japan - 4.86 Million
Total - 6.74 Million

So, Final Fantasy XIII sold 610K more units outside of Japan than Mass Effect 2 and 1.09 million more units than Mass Effect 3 has (admittedly, Mass Effect 3 hasn't been out nearly as long). This runs counter to your claim that Final Fantasy XIII has sold poorly outside of Japan (admittedly, it sold much better in Japan comparative to the ME games).
Regannator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Blegh. Kingdom Hearts. Laughable in story and characterization, acceptable in gameplay. But even THAT is getting seriously stale. Also, I love it how self-entitled twits jump on somebody's review, positive or negative, over inconsequential details, and label anyone who defends the review a troll.

If anyone wants to try out a fun experiment, post this review on the KH3D Gamefaqs message boards. The stupidity level will be almost offensive.

Correl wrote:

I just wanted to let you know, but you'd have more credibility making random numbers up than posting anything from VGChartz. So, those little comparisons of yours are completely worthless.

This coming from someone well acquainted with individuals in the video games industry and localization offices.
Correl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Correl wrote:

I just wanted to let you know, but you'd have more credibility making random numbers up than posting anything from VGChartz. So, those little comparisons of yours are completely worthless.

This coming from someone well acquainted with individuals in the video games industry and localization offices.

According to your acquaintances, where would I get more reliable sales figures?
Regannator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Correl wrote:
According to your acquaintances, where would I get more reliable sales figures?

Lol, you can't. Unless a particular company openly discloses sales numbers, that stuff is kept confidential.

Usually, though, big companies like to release sales numbers in quarterly reports as, I dunno, a sign of pride or something. But smaller houses on the other hand always keep it to themselves, unless it's a release they're, y'know, REALLY proud of and deem successful.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, everydaygamer. 3D is going on the list of games I'll buy when I buy a 3DS, which won't be for awhile (unless Nintendo releases a new Zelda game sooner then I expected).

Lycosyncer wrote:
As for future properties that Kingdom Hearts can crossover into, why hasn't any characters from Shonen Gangen showed up since Square Enix owns that magazine? I would love it if characters from FMA and Soul Eater were to show up since it is the magazine's most popular and more well known titles.

Manga based worlds (especially Soul Eater) would be pretty awesome. That alone would tempt me to buy a future game even if I don't have the system for it. I can just steal borrow a friend's system, right? Wink
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to clarify that my beef was with the writer, not his opinion. He's allowed to think whatever he wants, but his critique style and his conclusions are inconsistent. However, I don't care if people dislike things I happen to like, because I understand what it's like to express an unpopular opinion (for example, getting attacked by Final Fantasy diehards when I state my personal opinion that XIII and XIII-2 were sketchy games) and for people to overreact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4