• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pioneer Stops Making Laserdisc Players After 27 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
they are only as big as vinyl, make a crate and you have a nice shelve space.

forgot to say, if you think about it you can put more LD's on a shelf than you can using DVD's
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
i did even know that there where still being made
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:

Unit 03.5-ish has probably never seen a vinyl record or even the playing device they are used with, so you can now feel really really old along with the rest of us that remember life before CD's Razz

Oh, and I'm with the group who didn't know LD's were still being made. I just figured fans of the format were keeping there existing players alive. BTW, I have seen a LD and players in real life, as well as the other RCA Disk player that use to be out (actually used one of those quite a bit back in the day).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This makes me a sad panda, though I have to admit I thought they'd all been discontinued a few years ago. Last time I was in Tokyo I hauled back a ton of LDs of old rare stuff that never got DVD release in any country. Paid through the nose for the overweight bag I had them in... These suckers were heavy!

I should see if I can track down the old Streamline LD of Twilight of the Cockroaches and the Criterion LD of Akira. (It was bilingual!)
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I only saw laserdiscs once, but yeah, they are HUGE. There were even video games that used the format, off the top of my head I can think of Dragon's Lair, Cliff Hanger (which was actually Castle of Cagliostro made into an arcade game) and Galaxian^3 which used laserdisc projectors on 6 large screens to produce a background. (There was a 28-player version in Japan with a MASSIVE circular screen) There's even a laserdisc-based home console called the Laseractive, but it's hard to find and requires special "modules" in order to play its games.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that the laserdisc was the father of the audio CD, which then fathered the DVD.... Much higher quality than VHS, accoding to my dad. My dad reckons the reason LDs failed was that people were so obessed with the fact you could "record" your own videos, which you couldn't do with LDs.

Philips made LD players in Europe ~1982. My dad created a museum exhibition called "Technology of the Future" in 1983 (something like that) featuring fax machines the size of filing cabinets on each side of the gallery sending faxes to each other, an ATM dispensing genuine Bank of Toyland money, a barcode reading till and a LD player! Seems almost comical now...
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
This makes me a sad panda, though I have to admit I thought they'd all been discontinued a few years ago. Last time I was in Tokyo I hauled back a ton of LDs of old rare stuff that never got DVD release in any country. Paid through the nose for the overweight bag I had them in... These suckers were heavy!

I should see if I can track down the old Streamline LD of Twilight of the Cockroaches and the Criterion LD of Akira. (It was bilingual!)

I found Twilight of the Cockroaches a few months back. Pristine condition. Seller only wanted $10 for it. Can you believe that? I've got Criterion's standard Akira release too, but I've been trying to get my hands on the special edition for a while. I can never find it cheap enough though.

While you're trying to snag old Streamline LDs, Justin, it might be worth tracking down a copy of Lensman too. The 3D animation is just awful. You find yourself wondering why anyone on the production staff ever thought it was a good idea splicing traditional cel animation with that crap for the entire final battle scene.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Cliff Hanger (which was actually Castle of Cagliostro made into an arcade game)

Stern's Cliff Hanger actually used footage from both Cagliostro and Mystery of Mamo.
Descent123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

LD Twilight of the Cockroaches was good but the subtitles were FAIL! Terrible timing on the subtitles to the point that when they were speaking they weren't NO subtitles! LAME. I paid $40 shipped for a mint one, a little too much but I don't see this title often on LD.

Quote:
I found Twilight of the Cockroaches a few months back. Pristine condition. Seller only wanted $10 for it. Can you believe that? I've got Criterion's standard Akira release too, but I've been trying to get my hands on the special edition for a while. I can never find it cheap enough though.

While you're trying to snag old Streamline LDs, Justin, it might be worth tracking down a copy of Lensman too. The 3D animation is just awful. You find yourself wondering why anyone on the production staff ever thought it was a good idea splicing traditional cel animation with that crap for the entire final battle scene.

Lucky for $10. Shocked

I paid $25 for my Criterion Special Edition of Akira not too long ago. It's a great release and it's full of nice extras which some are still not found on the current releases.

You know what I hate about the Streamline LDs: They include both Japanese and English audio but NO SUBTITLES! Pioneer LDC LDs were great since they include both English and Japanese audio with CC subtitles. Shocked

Lensman, what a ultra lame movie (while typing this I'm looking at my Lensman movie poster and my LD copy of the movie). The CGI was cool for its time, but yeah it aged. Man, that chick in Lensman looks too much like Princess Leia from Star Wars. Laughing

I got lucky on Lensman, I picked it up for $7. Razz
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the people crying about how big they were never grew up with a vinyl collection... haha. You store them the same way you did with those, in crates or boxes. 8D My family had some laserdiscs, but by the time I got into anime we were really just using VHS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
We use to have an old RCA Selectavision which we picked up second hand. It stored films digitally on vinyl! It was extremely sensitive to dust, which caused the film to skip. Naturally, it didn't take off and I think LD followed it shortly afterwards.

I think most would be surprised to hear that LD was still being made. Then again, turntables are still being made. Although I'm sure they'll still be available for purchase for the next decade, this is the time to transfer any films you haven't already.

I remember those things from way back in 3rd grade! This one was a TV with an integrated RCA Selectavision player, and the school I was going to had them so we could watch specially made programs. This was way back in 1986, and back then I didn't think anything of it because they looked like regular LPs to me.

I am suprised myself to see that LD players were still being made. I never ever saw a LD player in any store, and the only time I saw a LD itself was at Disney Land in California in 1988, spring break.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
cool3865 wrote:

Unit 03.5-ish has probably never seen a vinyl record or even the playing device they are used with, so you can now feel really really old along with the rest of us that remember life before CD's Razz

Oh, and I'm with the group who didn't know LD's were still being made. I just figured fans of the format were keeping there existing players alive. BTW, I have seen a LD and players in real life, as well as the other RCA Disk player that use to be out (actually used one of those quite a bit back in the day).

Well, I have seen some vinyls my mom had, so I have an idea. I just can't imagine my anime collection being stored on discs bigger than my head Wink

It's an interesting bit of history/nostalgia, like Beta tapes (which is why that one scene in Cowboy Bebop with a Beta tape was funny, but sadly this generation probably wouldn't get the joke).
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember getting laserdisc boxes of the entire series of Cardcaptor Sakura, Creamy Mimi, Kimagure Orange Road, and Magic Knights Rayearth. The boxes probably weigh 40 pounds for each series. You knew you got your money's worth and the picture was 10 times better the VHS or Beta. I bought the last laserdisc player in the store - Pioneer Elite DVL-90 for 75% off. The best player Pioneer ever made.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
megumi's guy wrote:
I remember getting laserdisc boxes of the entire series of Cardcaptor Sakura, Creamy Mimi, Kimagure Orange Road, and Magic Knights Rayearth. The boxes probably weigh 40 pounds for each series. You knew you got your money's worth and the picture was 10 times better the VHS or Beta. I bought the last laserdisc player in the store - Pioneer Elite DVL-90 for 75% off. The best player Pioneer ever made.

LOL, and my World of MKR box can't weigh more than a few pounds. Isn't it funny how the technology gap can be sometimes?
jcaliff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
You guys make me feel old. Confused

Yeah, I collected LDs in the 90s, have a large LD collection and LD player I use fairly frequently. I don't know what I would do if my LD player dies. How else would I watch the complete version of Area 88 OVA 2: The Requirements of Wolves?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:
You guys make me feel old. Confused

Yeah, I collected LDs in the 90s, have a large LD collection and LD player I use fairly frequently. I don't know what I would do if my LD player dies. How else would I watch the complete version of Area 88 OVA 2: The Requirements of Wolves?

Me too. I have about 700 laserdiscs (not all anime) and 3 players (all pioneer). If your laserdisc player dies there's only one thing to do - eBay!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4