• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
And again, if she doesn't know, that makes it right? If someone leaks a nude photo of you on the internet and you never find out about it, does that make it okay?
How is a leaked private photo the same as dressing a certain way in public? I mean there is no expectation for privacy when you go out in public so that isn't the same as the goo incident. Also the girls were just angry about the goo incident which is why they started complaining about other stuff. The idea was that they started with a legitimate complaint since most of the boys were staying quiet during the goo incident but than they started complaining about other stuff that wasn't relevant. I thought the episode did a good job of showing both sides of the issue.
micah007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
The episode did a great job addressing both sides of the issue, however the argument that boys/men aren't allowed to be aroused or simply take note of a female they find attractive is irrational and needs to stop. I can understand complaints about the Franxx setup, but attacking them over being excited about girls they are seemingly attracted to in swimsuits during the beach episode is too far.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Beatdigga

Well, she has two horns, she calls the object of her affection "darling" and her name is pronounced Oni. So, yes it is a Lum reference. Hiro is no Ataru though. Ataru never had any problem rising to the occasion with any good looking female.

ONI, oh why I didn't catch that. But I was trying to decipher the other character's names. I don't know why I didn't catch that.

Okay, I marathoned all 8 episodes. Yeah, I know that 8 isn't the same as someone doing all 13 or 26 or 52 but it's close enough given my schedule. Plus, didn't know when the show started. And I was just in time to catch 8. Much of this show does remind me 'Freezing' to some degree. But that whole deal with the 'Girls vs Boys', well...yeah that is an old trope that goes back to the days of the 'Brady Bunch' and even before that. But it's still a universal deal up to today. I kind of viewed it in the same manner that of issues we're having today. Just we're not addressing them as well as we should. But yeah, we're going to have a mixed bag. But I hope there is a revelation. Some are paying to close attention to the usual battle of the "sexes" that has been done time and time again. And yeah, it's got it's obvious innuendos. But we still gotta keep our eyes on the guys behind the curtain. Dr. Franxx (who reminds me of the old Gendo) vs APE who are the "Old geezers". There are plenty of tropes and references to every Gainax, Trigger and any other anime. But hopefully, Trigger can pull the 180 that they've been known to do.

Oh and BTW when is the time to throw beans at demons? Lots of red going on.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
I like DitF, and it's definitely a fun experience every week. The cast is likeable, the girls are cute, and the character interactions are great to watch.

But this episode defies all logic and comprehension.

1 - If the Franxx doesn't function at all without the girl partner, and it took a returning Ichigo to pilot the two of them back to safety, then what was the point of ejecting Ichigo in the first place? Why can't they just fly out without getting Goro stuck? And why can the Franxx only eject the girl, but not the boy?

2 - if Ichigo could dive into the Klaxosaur and join Goro in the Franxx, then why couldn't Goro just swim out instead of suffocating to death?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I like DitF, and it's definitely a fun experience every week. The cast is likeable, the girls are cute, and the character interactions are great to watch.

But this episode defies all logic and comprehension.

1 - If the Franxx doesn't function at all without the girl partner, and it took a returning Ichigo to pilot the two of them back to safety, then what was the point of ejecting Ichigo in the first place? Why can't they just fly out without getting Goro stuck? And why can the Franxx only eject the girl, but not the boy?

2 - if Ichigo could dive into the Klaxosaur and join Goro in the Franxx, then why couldn't Goro just swim out instead of suffocating to death?

1) He was concerned with her well being and had no idea they would survive the explosion. So he made his priority to let her escape alive. As for why only the girl has a escape pod, I guess it's just to create this specific dramatic situation. Wouldn't be the first lazy choice in this series.

2) Maybe he was planning on detonating all along. The self destruction function didn't seem to have a timer so there's that. Then again, I do get the feeling he decided to self destruct once he thought he was gonna die. But, also, he didn't know he could escape. It was Oni who noticed the exhaust. And even if he did swim there, how exactly would he go down? And if he did go down, then what?

What I do find stupid is how the whole situation came to be. Zorome and Miku go ahead and do something stupid, no one moves and then Goro and Ichigo go save the day while no one does nothing. Seem like the idiot ball was going around a lot this episode. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the obviousness of it all.

That said, I like Goro so an episode about him is all good even if said episode doesn't feel particularly impactful. It's like they're just trying to get characterization out of the way and then to move the plot beyond. Actually, I don't even feel like there's a "plot" going on. I do know there's one but it's all just kind of happening without much clarity. They drop some hints with Oni's reaction to the mirror and gifts but that's about it.

Lastly, with this last Kyouryuu I get again the feeling that their concept was better than the execcution. A giant cloudlike monster could be pretty cool but the design just doesn't stand out.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
While I'm a Beckett fan, since we're on the subject of obviousness this week, I'm surprised the arc structure is only now realized. The Jian Arc (see my comment 2/17) was so obviously constructed from Ep1 that they could have had a sign (sort of like those in E7) during the closer for Ep6. We are currently toward the beginning of an arc where the unknown squad from the OP is introduced to cause trouble and we will likely find out what the "front lines" is about. As in, I'd guess there is a war being waged and klaxxosaurs are bio-engineered weapons which is why we get a new variety every week designed to exploit weakness in the Frankxx (like the leaky roof and spray-on "suits"!)

It seems to me that some have been thinking "why isn't DitF the next Eva?" and reacting accordingly.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Since when was being a teen perv something unnatural and wrong. It's perfectly normal and healthy.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
A good review as usual Mr. James Beckett. (On a side note, In your episode 9 review, I believe you listed the incorrect mech that Goro was in. It should be Delphinium.) Thanks again.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Don't guys tend to be more visually/physically oriented than girls anyway, though?
Yes, they are. Men have an incredibly strong, overwhelming affinity for the visual that has simply no analogue in women. This is not to say that women don't like looking at pretty/sexy things, but it is clear they do not have the same visual compulsion as men do. Men, to their misfortune in many cases, fall in love with their eyes, while women fall in love with their ears. That one verbal reprimand of "do you whisper the same sweet nothings into any girl's ear?" exists for a reason.

CrowLia wrote:
And again, if she doesn't know, that makes it right? If someone leaks a nude photo of you on the internet and you never find out about it, does that make it okay? Also, she does know because the dialogue in this episode explicitly has the girls conclude that the guys have been oggling them since before, and they specifically mention "they were probably doing the same thing at the beach". So 1) She does know and 2) Even if she didn't, it's still wrong, given the framing of "oggling (unaware) girls as something males gather together to do ex professo".

It's also telling that you're more concerned about Goro being "dehumanized" by me pointing out his wrongdoing -in being complicit in the guys' oggling at the beach-, than about the girls being exposed to the guys' oggling. So you're very worried about one guy getting treated "unfairly", but you have no sympathy for the girls who were put in a vulnerable and shameful position, only accentuated by the boys' leering. How unsurprising.
Do you realize how insanely tyrannical you sound? What kind of backwards puritanical moral system do you hold that prohibits boys from looking at pretty girls? At a beach? When they are wearing swimsuits? And also, it is amazing how far you go to infantilize and coddle these girls. How can ANYONE be expected to mature into a healthy, functioning adult if they have to be constantly protected from the gaze of dumb teenage boys? Maybe they should have just kept the girls locked in their rooms because they're so weak and fragile! So, they feel ashamed. Okay, that's true and their feelings on the subject certainly matter. So you think about it and maybe come up with a solution that doesn't involve punishing boys for being boys. Maybe next time the girls to to beach and the guys go somewhere else? Until the girls feel comfortable enough to share the beach with the boys? You can't just prevent kids from feeling uncomfortable all the frigging time. Everyone must have the opportunity to build the skills they need to weather difficult situations in life, including having life-or-death battles with monstrous dinosaurs and the everyday occurrence of being stared at.

Quote:
I was tired of communal life so I decided to make everyone hate me

What the fug did Goro mean by this? He seemed like such a generic nice guy but he's got some dark insecure stuff in his childhood.

Last edited by Chrysostomus on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:

What the fug did Goro mean by this? He seemed like such a generic nice guy but he's got some dark insecure stuff in his childhood.

I think he just felt exhausted of dealing with others and then decided that if he thought everyone hated him it'd simpler. He could justify his isolation by saying "they don't get me" and just be good with it instead of having to force himself to live well with other people. At least that's how I read it.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:

I think he just felt exhausted of dealing with others and then decided that if he thought everyone hated him it'd simpler.

Yeah, that sounded a bit weird when Goro said it, but I think this explanation works. Evidently he felt he couldn't fit in with the crowd, which is a sentiment I, personally, can empathize with sometimes.

Episode 9 had some plot holes/contrivances to it (why were the other mechs slow to action? Why is there evidently only one escape pod?), but overall I thought it was a solid episode. I was very pleased to see Goro's character fleshed out, and his relationship with Ichigo (and Hiro) better established.
While the hair clip replacement was pretty easy to see coming, I did like how Ichigo losing the first could be symbolic of her letting go of Hiro so she can hold on to Goro. Time will tell how true that is, but I thought that was neat when I realized it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
While the hair clip replacement was pretty easy to see coming, I did like how Ichigo losing the first could be symbolic of her letting go of Hiro so she can hold on to Goro. Time will tell how true that is, but I thought that was neat when I realized it.

I like this.

And I agree, it was nice to get a Goro ep and see more work done on his relationship with Ichigo (and Hiro).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The nicest imagery in the episode was Zero Two looking at her reflection in the mirror and the raindrop on her face in her reflection in the window.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So far, this show has shown itself to be better at entertaining than provoking thoughtful discussion

Have you looked at /r/anime lately? Cause i wouldn't call a show, with an average of 1500 comments per week, as not thought provoking.

(For people who come with the "but das reddit". Please don't even bother).
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if I read what it's doing as entirely heteronormative. It's not like in Brave New World where John's desire for Traditional Romanticism is contrasted against the amoral hedonism of Modernity, at least not in the same way. It's people pantomiming the customs of the nuclear family without it having any actual meaning. And obviously it could go two ways; either it's saying recapturing the meaning is fundamental to the human experience, or that there can be alternatives to it. But I don't think, as of yet, that it's as cut and dry as that (I still think Ikuno is likely gay while Mitsuru might be Ace).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 124