• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria the Virgin Witch (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Which makes it ironic, probably intentionally, because there's a lot of similarities that can be drawn from Maria up until she's at the stake and the treatment of Jesus Christ prior to his crucifixion. Watch it with the idea of Gilbert filling in for Pilate.

Yes. And I think it is intentional. I certainly have my criticisms about this show, but it definitely seems like there is a message here about people being persecuted by the Church being more Christ-like than the Church officials themselves. It's no mistake that Maria has been ringing the non-violence gong pretty hard for the entire series.

I don't think it is controversial to say that the Church's historical persecution of certain groups was evil, just like it isn't controversial to say that Americans' practices of slavery was evil, whether or not they could claim at the time that they had perfectly rational reasons to do it. We have the perspective now to understand what it was, and there's no reason for us to give a pass. I think this show is clearly trying to address that and criticize it, but it is just doing it in a very ham-fisted manner which is why I think it is flawed.

As for the final scenes between Joseph, Maria and Michael - that was all a bit of a roller coaster for me. Joseph's self-flagellation was a bit over the top. spoiler[However, the way Maria and him came together and affirmed their love for each other (and the proposal) was very touching.] That was the high point of the episode and probably one of the high points of the show. It demonstrated some growth for both of their characters. Unfortunately it has been almost the only growth that has happened, but still it was pretty good stuff.

The negative came after spoiler[the proposal]. It was extremely anti-climatic. spoiler[Somehow she got her powers back because Joseph proposed to her (this is going to leave a lot of questions about where they went in the first place), and then they get called up to Michael and Maria declares "Ha! Now I have a boyfriend!!"] That was all very strange to me and belittled the significance of the spoiler[marriage proposal], which should have remained the climax of the episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
Comparisons between Joan of Arc and Maria? Or is it just me?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yes. And I think it is intentional. I certainly have my criticisms about this show, but it definitely seems like there is a message here about people being persecuted by the Church being more Christ-like than the Church officials themselves. It's no mistake that Maria has been ringing the non-violence gong pretty hard for the entire series.

jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
The church targets Maria over other witches because she:
1) Does not maintain the status quo of behind the scenes influence that allows for strategic, profitable allegiances.
2) Her upfront interference for the general good threatens the Church's sway over the citizens.
3. They want to set an example to other witches who might take up her cause.

You can reduce the probable reasons for Church's actions to two main ones:
1) the Church is playing politics of its own and Maria interferes with it;
2) she interferes using magic, which is Evil, so the Church is especially interested in bringing her down.

Concerning the first reason, we do not know why Church is playing politics. It could be power for its own sake and it could be to maintain its power and authority as the shepherds. In first case the reasons are selfish, in the other they're not and are justifiable in the Christian context. It could be both depending on the person of course.

As for the second reason, I'll assume that the show intends to stay true to Christian theology. As far as we can tell, Maria is human and all humans are creations of God, thus good. Magic as something that is not a part of the natural order is evil, so as long as witches don't use magic, Church has no reason to persecute them. Maria is using large-scale magic for everyone to see, so the interference with natural order is on a huge scale. Church would have no choice, but to interfere if they want to minimize evil in the world.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

As for the second reason, I'll assume that the show intends to stay true to Christian theology. As far as we can tell, Maria is human and all humans are creations of God, thus good. Magic as something that is not a part of the natural order is evil, so as long as witches don't use magic, Church has no reason to persecute them. Maria is using large-scale magic for everyone to see, so the interference with natural order is on a huge scale. Church would have no choice, but to interfere if they want to minimize evil in the world.

This doesn't make it non-evil. Again, use the slavery example. In the 18th and 19th century, Americans claimed that they had rational, "traditional" and/or economic reasons for enslaving other human beings. It was recognized by the "founding fathers." At that time, people felt justified in doing it based on their teachings. Now, we have perspective, education, and some level of enlightenment. We know it was evil then, and that it would be evil now. It's the same way with the Church's treatment of Maria and her magic. As octopodpie noted, she isn't using her magic to harm people or commit atrocities. She is only using it to save people. Their persecution of her is based on the exact same type of fixation that was shown by the pharisees persecuting Jesus in the scripture. It is a fairly close analogy. It is persecution of someone because they are different than you and won't bow down to your own belief system. Not only are they bad-mouthing her, they send people to rape and kill her. Yes, that is evil.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
Something that I find interesting about the show is that - and correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think there has been a single explicit mention of the Devil. Hell, I'm not sure there has been an implicit mention. So we are dealing with a world where there is a Church but no mention of Satan. Witches are deemed to be heretics but I don't think there has been any indication that the Church links their activities to my Lord and Mast-- er, I mean to the Dark One.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Something that I find interesting about the show is that - and correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think there has been a single explicit mention of the Devil. Hell, I'm not sure there has been an implicit mention. So we are dealing with a world where there is a Church but no mention of Satan. Witches are deemed to be heretics but I don't think there has been any indication that the Church links their activities to my Lord and Mast-- er, I mean to the Dark One.

You are correct that there has been no mention of the devil by anyone. That being said, Cernunnos has looked pretty demonic on several occasions so I've been wondering if he is supposed to be representative of that kind of dark force. Though, he hasn't done anything dastardly thus far and Anne didn't seem frightened by him (which was pretty crazy, right? How old is she, like 5? and she wasn't afraid of some demon thing with glowing red eyes?)
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Your arguing from the point of view of your own moral convictions. I'm explaining why Church would see it as a moral necessity to try and stop Maria. As far as how they went about it, a lot of learned Christians would probably have a problem with it. This is all of course if the fictional Church keeps to the actual Christian theology of the time.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Your arguing from the point of view of your own moral convictions. I'm explaining why Church would see it as a moral necessity to try and stop Maria. As far as how they went about it, a lot of learned Christians would probably have a problem with it. This is all of course if the fictional Church keeps to the actual Christian theology of the time.

Yes, I am arguing from the point of hundreds of years of human moral evolution. Unless you are willing to state that ISIS beheading people in Iraq and Syria is not evil because it is God's will, then I think you agree with me. This is the point I was making with Key about this cultural relativism argument people try to make. We have hundreds of years of knowledge and intellect that separates us from people during the time that this story takes place. To be blunt, they are dumbasses compared to the average citizen of today. We know what they were doing was evil, no matter if they would claim that God told them to do it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
@ CK - I had the same thought about Cernunnos. And I guess Anne has ice water flowing through her young veins. I'm sure I would have dropped a shit-brick at that age if a smoky thing talked to me. Hell, I'd probably drop a shit-brick even now.

It's funny how anime doesn't seem eager to deal with Satan. There is lots of anime where the Church is an element, God and angels are mentioned. There's lots of anime that feature demon kings and deal with demons. But you very rarely hear much about the Prince of Lies, himself.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The negative came after spoiler[the proposal]. It was extremely anti-climatic. spoiler[Somehow she got her powers back because Joseph proposed to her (this is going to leave a lot of questions about where they went in the first place), and then they get called up to Michael and Maria declares "Ha! Now I have a boyfriend!!"] That was all very strange to me and belittled the significance of the spoiler[marriage proposal], which should have remained the climax of the episode.

I think we have enough information to conclude that in this world belief is a source of power. Old deities that have been forgotten without any apparent believers are reduced to a pathetic state, like Cernunnos, who is nothing more than an observer.

spoiler[Similarly, it appears that all witches need to believe in themselves (and, by extension, probably also benefit from the beliefs of others in their actions) for their magical powers to work. I don't think it's a coincidence that Cernunnos points this out when Maria's magic starts to manifest in the forest once again.

Maria suffered the psychological impact of the rape attempt (which presumably would be even greater if it had succeeded, but it is no laughing matter). I'd imagine the paralysis-inducing smoke wasn't a good thing either. She was too mentally and emotionally shaken to properly believe in herself. From that perspective, the events in the church helped her recovery and allowed Maria to use magic. ]

I'd beg to differ concerning the last scene, as I think such behavior is part of Maria's personality and also starts to bring us full circle, back to events from earlier in the story. It should be easier to discuss that after the next episode takes us to a final resolution, or so I hope.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Unless you are willing to state that ISIS beheading people in Iraq and Syria is not evil because it is God's will, then I think you agree with me.

If 1) God exists, 2) is omnibenevolent and 3) that is His will, it's indeed not evil. That is basic logic and a morality that claims to be universal needs to be logically consistent. The same here, if some Christian, Gilbert for example, believes that God is real, omnibenevolent and wants witches to burn, his actions are logical to us all and moral to him.

The thing is, most of us here don't believe at least one of those premises, so of course we have other ideas about what's evil and what isn't.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
You are correct that there has been no mention of the devil by anyone. That being said, Cernunnos has looked pretty demonic on several occasions so I've been wondering if he is supposed to be representative of that kind of dark force. Though, he hasn't done anything dastardly thus far and Anne didn't seem frightened by him (which was pretty crazy, right? How old is she, like 5? and she wasn't afraid of some demon thing with glowing red eyes?)

I haven't seen any indication that Cernunnos was meant to represent anything devilish or demonic. The series seems to be entirely avoiding supernatural evil, possibly in favor of an "it depends on how the supernatural power is used" attitude. (Of course, we are talking about Japan here, where demons and devils - even devil lords! - being the good guys pop up with relative frequency.)

On other points, the slavery comparison isn't a good one. There's tons of documentation that slavery was regarded as evil at the time by a fair amount of the population, and to even imply the the Founding Fathers generally considered it justifiable is ridiculous; many of them strongly opposed it, in fact (and this is also quite well-documented). Slavery only persisted into the founding of the U.S. because compromises had to be made to get the Declaration of Independence signed and the U.S. Constitution ratified.

That was not the case with witchcraft in the Middle Ages. The arguments there were almost always about whether or not people actually were witches, not whether or not it was moral to pursue true witches and burn them at the stake.

octopodie wrote:
Which makes it ironic, probably intentionally, because there's a lot of similarities that can be drawn from Maria up until she's at the stake and the treatment of Jesus Christ prior to his crucifixion. Watch it with the idea of Gilbert filling in for Pilate.

Can't agree with this comparison at all, as the circumstances are too different. (I also don't agree with interpretations that she is being set up as a Christ-like figure even besides that.) Casting Gilbert as Pilate seems like reaching to me, because Gilbert is not being drawn into this from an outside position; he is part of the system that is going after Maria from the beginning, and he has made clear that he has a low opinion of witches himself. Remember, he is the one who has always been questioning Gilbert about getting involved with Maria at all.

And no, to address another point, just because she's a virgin being burned at the stake doesn't mean that they are trying to draw a Joan of Arc comparison. Again, the circumstances are too different. (The biggest one is that Joan/Jeanne was a militant rather than a pacifist.)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Anne is implied to be more like 8-9 years old.

Last edited by Key on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

If 1) God exists, 2) is omnibenevolent and 3) that is His will, it's indeed not evil. That is basic logic and a morality that claims to be universal needs to be logically consistent. The same here, if some Christian, Gilbert for example, believes that God is real, omnibenevolent and wants witches to burn, his actions are logical to us all and moral to him.

The thing is, most of us here don't believe at least one of those premises, so of course we have other ideas about what's evil and what isn't.

I think the VAST majority of mankind would say that they do not believe ISIS is doing God's will by beheading people in Iraq and Syria and burning them alive. You, me, and everyone in this forum knows that to be true. So, we all believe what ISIS is doing is evil. Same thing with what the Church was depicted to be doing in this show. We give no credit to that, because our knowledge and intellect informs us that it is evil. Thus, it doesn't matter what the perpetrators of that kind of atrocity think they are doing. Would we say the KKK or Nazis aren't evil because they logically believe in what they are doing? No. That's crazy talk. If you accept that kind of logic, then anything becomes legitimate, even the most extreme, monstrous activities.

Key wrote:

On other points, the slavery comparison isn't a good one. There's tons of documentation that slavery was regarded as evil at the time by a fair amount of the population, and to even imply the the Founding Fathers generally considered it justifiable is ridiculous; many of them strongly opposed it, in fact (and this is also quite well-documented). Slavery only persisted into the founding of the U.S. because compromises had to be made to get the Declaration of Independence signed and the U.S. Constitution ratified.

That was not the case with witchcraft in the Middle Ages. The arguments there were almost always about whether or not people actually were witches, not whether or not it was moral to pursue true witches and burn them at the stake.

You're just saying they knew it was evil but they did it anyway because it was politically expedient. I don't think we could then say that somehow makes it not evil. Whether they embraced it or not doesn't change the fact that it was accepted.

But, just for some context, here is some of the wiki article on James Madison:

Wikipedia wrote:

Like other Virginia statesmen in the slave society, he was a slaveholder who inherited his plantation known as Montpelier, and owned hundreds of slaves during his lifetime to cultivate tobacco and other crops. Madison supported the Three-Fifths Compromise that allowed three-fifths of the enumerated population of slaves to be counted for representation...

...Insight into Madison is provided by the first "White House memoir," A Colored Man's Reminiscences of James Madison (1865), told by his former slave Paul Jennings, who served the president from the age of 10 as a footman, and later as a valet for the rest of Madison's life. After Madison's death, Jennings was purchased in 1845 from Dolley Madison by arrangement with the senator Daniel Webster, who enabled him to work off the cost and gain his freedom. Jennings published his short account in 1865. He had the highest respect for Madison and said he never struck a slave, nor permitted an overseer to do so. Jennings said that if a slave misbehaved, Madison would meet with the person privately to try to talk about the behavior...

...Madison was very concerned about the continuing issue of slavery in Virginia and the South. He believed that transportation of free American blacks to Africa offered a solution, as promoted by the American Colonization Society (ACS). He told Lafayette at the time of the convention that colonization would create a "rapid erasure of the blot on our Republican character."

Between 1834 and 1835, Madison sold 25% of his slaves to make up for financial losses on his plantation. Madison lived until 1836, increasingly ignored by the new leaders of the American polity. He died at Montpelier on June 28, as the last of the Founding Fathers...

Essentially, he was an active participant in slavery even though he later in life acknowledged that it was a "blot" on the idea of liberty that America was supposed to stand for. Yet he continued to maintain his slaves, selling some of them off to pay off debts and leaving the rest to be inherited.

We could say that perhaps he knew at the time that he was a participant in a great evil, but he still did it anyway. Maybe that makes him a complicated historical person, and perhaps at the time he thought himself more enlightened than most people since he is claimed to have not been a particularly abusive owner. However, that doesn't change the fact that slavery was evil, and we are still not fully cognizant of all of the depths of that evil - we are still learning about the full ramifications.

The analogy is sound. In the case of the Church in this show, you could claim that people like Bernard and Gilbert are perpetrating evil though perhaps they see themselves as enlightened in some way. But it doesn't change the facts of what we now know with our 21st century knowledge.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Thus, it doesn't matter what the perpetrators of that kind of atrocity think they are doing.

On the contrary, it matters a lot. It informs us how they think, let's us predict their actions, helps us decide how to judge them, since most of us care not only for consequences, but also for motives. Or do you think what is evil and what isn't is the only important thing here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 28