• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Head Says UK Issues May Be Due to Illegal Releases

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randompeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
shadowblack wrote:
Saying that I owe someone just because of something I downloaded for free is just as ridiculous as expecting me to buy a book just because I borrowed it from someone and read it for free. Sorry, but the two are NOT related (as much as some people would like them to be).

Erm, you DO owe someone. If you enjoy a series, what money are you devoting to the creators to create more series that you might like? If you dislike an regional release, buy the japanese originals, that will support the creators.

Furthermore, borrowing a book is different, since the book was actually payed-for. This is like borrowing a photocopy of a book, the original creator sees no monetary gain whatsoever.

Show me one media that allows you to sample every episode of a series before you purchase it. Here in the US, Bleach and Naruto were going to be the proof that the whole "I'll download it now and buy it when it gets released" argument is bunk, and they did.

I think you are taking that a bit too far, essentially you are saying "if you watch something therefore you must buy it" however i find that to be wrong, if i don't like a show of any kind then i won't buy it since i don't think its worth my money, regardless of how i saw it.

The argument you are putting there is everyone must buy everything they watch even if they didn't like it.

shadowblack wrote:
Everyone's innocent until proved guilty. Fansubbers are no exception. Therefor all who say that fansubs and fansubbers are the main problem of the UK market (or any other market) have to prove that. Those who deny that accusation do not.

I have no doubt that the UK market has been hurt by many things, including these two:
1) Fansubs
2) Import from the US
But which one has hurt the UK market more? Is it the fansubs, or is it import? Or is it neither, but rather some other reason?

It seems you are the only other person who has posted in this thread who has actually realised that imports may hurt the UK market, a factor which alot seem to sweep under the carpet.
shadowblack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
Furthermore, borrowing a book is different, since the book was actually payed-for. This is like borrowing a photocopy of a book, the original creator sees no monetary gain whatsoever.

No, it's not different. Borrowing a book or borrowing a DVD someone else has bought previously means that I get that book - or that DVD - for free. The "original creator" gets no money from ME. I get it for free. The fact that someone else had paid for it is irrelevant. After all, the person providing the fansubbed version may have also paid for watching the show...

Situation 1:
I buy a DVD and let dozens of people watch it for free (by borrowing it from me)

Situation 2:
I buy a DVD, make a DVD-rip, and give that rip to dozens of my friends, who then watch if for free

Situation 3:
Identical to Situation 2, only this time I use Internet to let my friends get the rip, instead of bringing it to them in person

What is the difference between the three? You have a person who had paid for the DVD, and you have people watching it for free. In all three cases the original creator gets nothing from the people who watch it without paying.

What's more, those RAWs used for making the fansubs would not be there if someone had not paid to watch the show on TV (or had not bought it on DVD). So "the original was paid for" is not a valid argument here.

Quote:
Erm, you DO owe someone. If you enjoy a series, what money are you devoting to the creators to create more series that you might like? If you dislike an regional release, buy the japanese originals, that will support the creators.

Sorry, but I don't speak japanese, so buying the original version is out of the question. And with no local releases I'm limited to watching stuff on TV (which means Death Note and Blood+ only), or downloading fansubs and hoping that maybe, some day, one or more of our TVs would risk airing something other than kid stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh, Shinzo and Pokemon (and that 'something' won't have a dub that makes me wanna change the channel).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Randompeon wrote:
I think you are taking that a bit too far, essentially you are saying "if you watch something therefore you must buy it" however i find that to be wrong, if i don't like a show of any kind then i won't buy it since i don't think its worth my money, regardless of how i saw it.

The argument you are putting there is everyone must buy everything they watch even if they didn't like it.

I think the argument he's making is that you owe some sort of remuneration in some form for the act of viewing a piece of copyrighted material, whatever form that remuneration may take. Watching a series on television exposes you to advertisements that are paying for the broadcast in the first place, so that would count, as would viewing ads as part of a free legal streaming service. Using Netflix to rent DVDs would be another method. Putting Netflix aside for the moment (I really need to look into getting a subscription one of these days...), the sad fact is that there are scare few anime titles available via TV or streaming services, which is probably what drives at least some people (myself included) to download series before determining whether or not to buy them. I do agree with you in principle, though; there are any number of television series I've enjoyed that I'd never consider permanently buying, and I sorely wish that the same model existed for anime.
Randompeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Randompeon wrote:

I think the argument he's making is that you owe some sort of remuneration in some form for the act of viewing a piece of copyrighted material, whatever form that remuneration may take. Watching a series on television exposes you to advertisements that are paying for the broadcast in the first place, so that would count, as would viewing ads as part of a free legal streaming service. Using Netflix to rent DVDs would be another method. Putting Netflix aside for the moment (I really need to look into getting a subscription one of these days...), the sad fact is that there are scare few anime titles available via TV or streaming services, which is probably what drives at least some people (myself included) to download series before determining whether or not to buy them. I do agree with you in principle, though; there are any number of television series I've enjoyed that I'd never consider permanently buying, and I sorely wish that the same model existed for anime.

The BBC doesn't have ads in thier broadcast, which is the main reason why you need to pay for a TV licence, however since i live with my parents i don't pay for said licence therefore technically anything i watch on TV is free, since i am not the one paying for it.

I can understand where you are coming from, yes most channels have ads in the broadcast which pay for the production etc.

On the topic of this thread and things which have been said and some not said, i don't believe fansubbers as a whole are the problem with the UK market, rather it's the leechers who even if they like a show don't want to buy the DVD's when they are released, same with people who only ever import DVD's straight from the US, they don't help the UK market either, yet only the first point is ever brought up in conversation by companies, maybe its because even though some people import only they are still getting sales, which they are happy with.

How long would you say would be sufficent time between US release and UK release? in my opinion anything over a year is too long a wait which is what causes people to import in the first place.

I know you can't do simultaneous release due to the BBFC but i'm sure 6 months max is more than enough time to see how DVD sales are to have it released in the UK.
geowrian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
You just stole the entire thing online for f*ucking free, you have no right whatsoever to refuse to buy the DVD just because you don't like the dub, it's not got enough extras, its aspect ratio is not your favourite, they butchered it with edits, badly translated it or anything like that at all. You OWE the company the money and you WILL pay it back unless you are truly a no good dirty criminal. Sample the first few eps...fine, even I do that, not the whole thing though.

Sorry, but I stopped reading right there. That is nothing but name calling, flaming, and it is not productive to the discussion at all.

As for any others that claim I am not contributing to the discussion: Maybe what I've said has been said in some way before, but so pretty much everything about this topic. So should you just stop discussing it? I stated my information AND my opinion (which were clearly separated), as have those who argue against my conclusion. Just because I didn't join until later or don't have any brand new ideas (I haven't seen any of those on here from anybody) doesn't mean I should just be quiet. But alas, I am saying my farewells. I see this topic heading downward very quickly with the past few pages of comments (especially the rudeness and flaming noted above) and I don't want to be there if it blows up.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Shadowblack wrote:

Quote:
Several things, actually:
1) Speed of release – the official release will not require searching for a good raw (or any raw, for that matter), so it can be out literally MINUTES after the ep airs on TV, before ANY fansub group starts working

Of course, all of the above ASSUMES that the official releases WILL be better than the fansubs in every aspect except price. Unfortunately that is not always the case, so someone has to convince the buyers that it is worth spending their money on the official version instead of waiting for the free one.

You see? Official releases can have an advantage over “fast and free”.

There's a relevant current in here, but firstly what your describing is less of technical 'added-value', and more of a marketing strategy that focuses on demand (in this case draw some demand away from fansubs). Especially if the 'official' release is offered free of any copy protection, whatever is offered commercially will be quickly pirated, so the question becomes is 'added value' (which was the original point) an effective strategy at this point in time for the industry?

What you perhaps unwittingly described in your example may be a more realistic move for companies at the start however, which is to say take various steps to try to reduce the overall demand for fansubs in ways other then 'commercial value' extras/artboxes/plushes etc. . Could good quality, fast downloads, backed by various contests/promotions start to whittle away some fansub viewership? Perhaps that could be combined with some limited-scope legal enforcement aimed at certain supply sectors? Maybe even toss in some 'asymmetrical warfare' style maneuvers as Tofusensei suggested by 'buttering up' (or in other words toss them some freebies/perks like they do with media sources)some of the more 'established' fansubs players, getting them to stay away from particular properties and using their large 'social fansub community' influence to stigmatize those who don't follow suit.

Those are all hastily written examples that obviously aren't 'fleshed out', and no one thing by itself is a magic bullet for the problem. However, what it roughly illustrates is a mind-set of addressing demand (or in other words start to erode fansub viewership/habits, however limited at first) as opposed to concentrating on 'value-added'. The industry obviously isn't ever going to see the raw numbers involved in downloading/streaming turn into a 'one to one' sales ratio, but if they could see a return in sales levels back to where they were before the rise of the 'easy-use' fansub (or, if factoring in a new 'download' model a 'net profit' level that equals that) it would be a great start.

geowrian wrote:

Quote:
As for any others that claim I am not contributing to the discussion: Maybe what I've said has been said in some way before, but so pretty much everything about this topic. So should you just stop discussing it? I stated my information AND my opinion (which were clearly separated), as have those who argue against my conclusion. Just because I didn't join until later or don't have any brand new ideas (I haven't seen any of those on here from anybody) doesn't mean I should just be quiet.

Let me be fair and say there are posters with ten times your post amount who write things one hundred times more foolish then you have in these fansub threads, so the issue isn't about how long you've been posting. The issue, especially in fansub threads which attract a lot of eyes and tempers, is does an argument have core relevancy to the issue, or is it more of a marginal side-debate point which is essentially irrelevant to the overall matter.

I'll try an example: At your fall dentist appointment she (the dentist) tells you to watch your 'sweet tooth', you've got some soft spots forming. Perhaps you don't follow that advice as well as you should, and by summer you wake up one morning to find you've got a terrible toothache, courtesy one new cavity. Now there a some 'side issues' that may have some very general bearing, but reality dictates you've got one major relevant issue, the painful hole in your tooth and how it's going to get fixed.

-You don't expect your dentist to wag her finger at you, say 'I told you say', and toss you out of the office. She may have been correct on her 'hygiene/eating habit' ethics, but that's irrelevant to fixing the issue of the painful hole in your tooth.

-Similarly, maybe you feel you have good reasons for eating how you do. Are you going to sit there and debate your dentist for hours? No, it's irrelevant to the pressing issue, the painful hole in your tooth.

-Maybe you think floss/rinse/etc. are all scams perpetrated by the dental industry to make money off of you, and that you don't believe in using them. Does your dental ideology help you? No, you've got a painful hole in your tooth that has to be dealt with, your personal ideology is irrelevant to that matter.

In the case of fansubs, here in 2008 we've got a primary relevant issue, just like the cavity:Fansubs impact on the commercial market and the consequences for the industry, and ways/directions/strategies the industry can take to try to get healthy again. Everyone is going to have their own views, but conversation along those lines (in dealing directly with the severity/roots of the problem and possible solutions) is constructive (in a theoretical sense) and relevant. Like above, other issues can be relevant at specific points in specific places, but in general whether a person thinks fansubs are terrible or great is irrelevant in the big picture. That a person thinks it's okay if you can't afford anime/doesn't come out quick enough/free for Japnese on TV etc. is completely irrelevant to the main problem. Whatever a persons thoughts on IP/copy-right laws is irrelevant to the primary issue. Ethical/technical/moral issues have their time and place, but they don't 'address the cavity' so to speak, and there always what ends up filling every thread. I don't by any means wish to codify what's 'right or wrong' to say, but specifically in these fansub threads I wish more people would 'filter' a bit, and judge before posting whether they are addressing/arguing a position that has to do with fansubs impact/industry solutions/commercial demand etc., or whether it's a more 'Here's how I generally feel about fansubs-Here's why I think there okay/wrong' style argument. The latter has it's place, but it doesn't ever advance the conservation and is often completely irrelevant in the big picture.
Randompeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Having this arguement over fansubs being "a problem" or not isn't helping at all, do fansubs hurt the industry: in some cases yes, do fansubs help the industry: in some cases yes, you can't put the whole fansub debate into being black or white, but the same can be said about importers aswell, someone else said its ok to watch a fansub for say the first 6-7 eps then wait for the DVD releases but i have saw a few shows where after that amount of eps it started to go downhill in quality of story, comedy, action etc, i have also some shows which was the exact opposite, the other problem which some have touched on and most haven't is the format of anime that people want, some want it in a digital format others want it in DVD format.

Other factors which i have mentioned before but many ignore is: how much do import only consumers hurt the industry, how much does long gaps in release time between US and UK hurt the industry, which shows do the companies licence and how popular will they be in the US/UK.

Instead of trying to jump straight into fixing the industry, perhaps actually finding every problem first would help more, focusing on one problem won't fix it.

(off topic but still a question i wouldn't mind an answer to)
One thing i have always wondered is how do companies chose which shows to licence, is it by the popularity in japan? is it random choices?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
geowrian wrote:
If I was forced to pay to watch it, I wouldn't watch it since there are plenty more things for me to waste my time on....it's just recreation/entertainment! I know 100% that the companies are making more on me via accessories, related material, and ads than they would if I didn't watch fansubs. Not everybody does this, but it works without harming the makers or industry. However, according to ADV, I am somehow hurting them. It doesn't make sense how I would be hurting them since they would be getting $0 from me if fansubs didn't exist, but they can think whatever they want.

"If I was forced to pay to watch it, I wouldn't watch it"?

Wow. You watch shows without paying a cent for them. and then you say you wouldn't watch them anyway if you had to pay for it? What a leech. You are proof enough. Without any notification or credit to the manufacture that their show was watched.

If you can't see the problem with that and how it does lead to the industry losing money fairly directly, then I feel sorry for you. I am sick of this logic of buying accessories or hardware or black CDs to make up for not paying for a show.

That digital video you downloaded didn't make itself. It took time and money. Those companies are losing out and you're not paying them a cent.

Again, if you can't see how that hurts the industry, I feel bad for you.

"I wasn't going to buy it anyway" is NOT an excuse. It's pathetic. Maybe you should watch something worth spending money on instead of wasting time on meaningless freebies.

Geez someone I know does that. THey download fansubs and tell me how horrible the show is. Horrible harem dating game based anime. I make fun of them for it. I ask why they watch it and they say it doesn't matter because it's free. Geez.
kazana144

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Eh, some people feel a sense of entitlement, like how people like to download bootleg movies off the internet and watch them. Why more people don't get on their case I'll never know.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Another quote regarding illegal downloads from the same magazine that I posted elsewhere earlier:

John Ledford wrote:
Out of all the ways ADV markets its products, conventions are definitely the most fun. But they're also the most expensive. It becomes harder to justify the time and resources we put into conventions when more and more fans are illegally downloading their anime. That doesn't leave a lot of money on the table for all the cool and fun things that we love to do as a company for the honest fans who are paying, supportive customers of the industry as a whole. The UK has some distance to catch up with the US anime market, but piracy could really short-circuit that growth. Under these circumstances, it doesn't make sense to invest in conventions.

And to address a few points from above (a UK-oriented thread really shouldn't have so much dreck to skim through but hopefully I'm not re-treading too much, but this post itself will probably be another tl;dr by the time I've finished)

edzieba wrote:
As for streaming, that wasn't even available in the UK.

Not sure it counts as 'streaming', but ADV were in fact the only UK company that made episode available online, through Vizumi. Some series not deemed viable for DVD release, e.g. Air Gear, were only available this way.

Tu101uk wrote:
it pains me to hear that ADV have given up on us Brits.

They haven't. They have closed their UK office and entered into a distribution agreement with LDMS, who have been their sales partners for years.

BluMeino wrote:
Yes, there is always the matter of DVD cleanups, but they're generally so insubstantial to the actual show. General examples are things like enhanced panty shots or more animation around the breast/panty area like with Goshuushou-sama or Shana II as recent ones. So in essence, they're still see the show as it was meant to be seen, but they have to have something on the DVDs to make it more enticing.

DVD fixes can be quite extensive, down to whole scenes or even episodes being re-animated later outside the the pressure of a TV schedule (Negima being the poster boy here[/url], but other examples are Moonphase and R.O.D the TV).

Akakori wrote:
On ADV's UK DVD shop currently, Azumanga Daioh is still the big release and how long has that been out for in the US?! I certainly remember seeing it at a convention 4 or 5 years ago.

Azudai has been out in the UK for years. It just happens to have had a recent box set release (which was advertised fairly heavily) and was, I think, a UK exclusive in terms of package etc.

poehitman wrote:
I don't give a damn if it's illegal or not. I don't see it as illegal.

To quote the Red vs Blue Real Life vs Internet skit "I don't want it to be illegal, therefore it isn't".

Sam-I-Am wrote:
There's software in the works that compares video files much like comparing fingerprints, intended for use with getting rips found and removed from places like Youtube.

Youtube already have this working (at least in beta form) and Kadokawa are planning to use it to not just remove content from youtube, but to use if for revenue and advertising:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080128/146366/
http://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/index.php/digital_tokyo/articles/japanese_copyright_holders_embrace_youtube_uploaders/
http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/internet-and-broadband/news/youtube-debuts-video-id-to-guard-copyright?articleid=869000855

Moomintroll wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
I hear that customs expect you to pay duty and VAT unless the value of the DVD is less than £18. If you wanted to import a box set you'd probably have to pay through the nose.

You're right in theory but in practice HM Customs don't bother inspecting most parcels unless they're quite a size so most stuff gets through without duty being charged.

If the full cost is written on the package as it should be, then they don't even need to inspect the package they will just charge you. If I order from Amazon Japan or even CD Japan I am almost certain to be charged (or maybe I'm just unlucky..) and have to traipse down to the local sorting office which is why I mostly buy Japanese DVDs from Yesasia and R1 DVDs from Otaku, who both reship from a UK office.

And finally, I thought I've include this email regarding an order someone placed in the final ADV clearout sale where lots of titles were down to as little as £1 a disc:

Quote:
This order will be shipped out directly from the distribution centre at SonyDADC today, before the network closes down.

This is the last you will hear from the last three remaining employees here at ADV Films in the UK, since we are all unemployed from this Saturday. I do hope that the rest of your order finds its way to you, but since you paid less per disc than it cost to make them, even if you don't get the rest of the order, you still got the first half of your order for bargain prices. You were one of hundreds of fans who showed up to buy from us only when it was too late to save the company. If everyone had bought these discs at retail prices, we would still be open and have jobs.

If fans only want to pay one pound for a DVD, then the remaining anime companies in the UK will also close in the next two years, more of our colleagues will be unemployed, and fans will have to return to importing from the US, Australia and Japan.

Goodbye.

The London Office
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Sam-I-Am wrote:
No, I slighted an article that proposed to be an examination of copyright law that made no link, reference, or footnote regarding current statutes or conventions, and that used as its central example a comparison between a commodity with infinite multiple originals (digital video) and a commodity with a finite supply (real estate). The entire article is deeply flawed, which is why I think it can be classified as 'slanted'.

The point was an examination based on the most commonly used analogies. People who compare copyright to physical commodities will simply refuse to accept, even with presented evidence, that an infinitely reproducible intangible good is in any way even the slightest bit different from a finite, tangible good. If you understand and acknowledge the difference then I suppose it's really not an article aimed at your views especially. I wanted to bring it up though because there are some who refuse to make that distinction and consider copyright as automatic as one's right to live.

Quote:
If you think that the point of the article is that the law is lagging behind societal change, you would be right, but then again, the law always is lagging behind social change. Gay marriage is a current example - more and more people are in favor of it, or indifferent to it, yet the law still forbids it in most places.

Some fun facts to consider, as far as social engineering (by government) goes. Right now the majority of this nation is against it. Yet back when interracial marriage was legalized a far larger majority of people in this country opposed it, and it wasn't until the 1990s that for the first time more Americans supported the idea of interracial marriage instead of opposing it, some fifty odd years since it was made legal.

The point? That sometimes if something can academically/intellectually be realized as a greater right or good, then sometimes even if the idea is not supported it is in the best interest of society to push it forwards. This is why such debates are often so important, since if it ever reaches a point where there is no way to refute one side's argument for a long period of time, it can be assumed within reason that one side has shown whether or not something is moral or immoral.

Quote:
Took me a while to figure out this run-on sentence... Taxation and copyright, or copyright theft, are two different things. You've got a double negative going in the first half, so I'll let you clarify what you're trying to say before answering - as for being taxed, I never said that I thought being taxed was robbery - you said that I must think that.

No, you didn't, my point though was you used a Robin Hood analogy to attack the practice of any downloading, which seemed to say that even if it sounds noble it's still wrong because he's a thief. I was attacking the idea that such things are intrinsically wrong by using taxation as a counter example. Taxation, at its core, is government sanctioned thievery of wages. They literally steal money with their power and redistribute wealth, as Robin Hood did, from rich to poor. Yet we acknowledge in some capacity, as you did, that such redistribution for services we will never ever see or receive even a hint of are worthwhile. Which means that at some point such things can be right, which means now you must argue more directly why such a thing is wrong in this context, without simply reverting to "but, but, but, it's stealing!!!1" as an argument. The ends may not always justify the means, but why or why not in this situation?

Quote:
My Robin Hood analogy, coming after several paragraphs about fansubbers (page 10 of this thread), referred to the mentality of some fansubbers that they ought to have anime for free, without payment to the creators. My apologies if this linkage wasn't immediately clear. People wishing to watch entertainment for free is not a social cause worth breaking laws for, nor even calling the laws 'unjust'. I can't believe that the 'needs of society' to watch anime outweighs the rights of the creators to profit from it.

Here's the thing though, and this is key. The dispute over downloading is largely an issue of hearsay. As much as Zac or whomever else would like to say to the contrary, all company A, B, C, or D can say is this: "Well, we saw 10,000,000 downloads of Series Z on bit torrent but we only sold 5,000,000 copies!" They then, after that, jump to their own conclusions as to how much income they lost because of that. They can't actually prove anything though as far as lost sales goes because the fact is they can't prove how many people actually ended up not buying merely because a free alternative was available. Are there some people who did? Obviously, but the argument often presented that such downloading represents and obvious fatal danger to anime is really just people's subjective assumptions about the issue. They can't know anything beyond download and sales statistics and that alone is not enough to assume anything given the complexity of the issue and the variety of possible circumstances. To which, the response often is: "What are you smoking?! it's common sense downloading is killing anime!! don't agree? Then stop talking or I'll ban you!"

Quote:
Theft and taxation are two different things. A taxpayer can move to a different place, live so as not to incur taxes, hire lawyers to avoid taxes, or vote politicians in and out of office. The victim of a thief can only try to fight.

That's a lofty view but not really true. Every nation has taxes, unless you want to live on a desert island and isolate yourself from the world. Furthermore most people don't have the capital to simply move to another nation, to live without taxes is to make less than 10,000$ a year and that is really not possible to live by yourself off of that in America, lawyers can only reduce taxes, not eliminate them, and it is a political near-impossibility that anyone would ever get voted into office who would oppose the concept of taxation.

To put it simply, taxes are an unavoidable constant aspect of life no matter where you live. You will always lose some of your hard earned money to the government. There is no real way they will ever disappear. You can work to minimize their negative impact on you, but to do that you must first accept that taxes are inevitable and then move forwards, much like our current copyright conundrum.

Quote:
Here you're making some sense, as Prohibition and the 1980's War on Drugs provide easy examples of large numbers of people ignoring a body of law. However, both of those, and my gay marriage example above, involve freedom of personal behavior, and the article's example of Squatter's Rights involves the fact that there was not a clear procedure in place at first for divvying up land (little or no surveys, maps, courthouses, clerks, etc.). Downloading involves making unauthorized copies of items of known ownership, without regard to the existing legal means of obtaining a copy. When your actions impact another person's health or wealth, it's a different situation than when you're alone in your living room.

You've already brought up the big issue though, when you're alone in your living room how is it harmful? A large number of downloaders have never and will never pay for a single bit of material they download and would never have even if they had not had a free alternative available. They simply want to consume free material in a convenient manner and will do that however they can. The economic effects of copyright infringement are incalculable for that reason amongst others. They're simply making a copy, at no cost to anyone, of an established work that would never see money from them anyway. How is that any different from drinking in the comfort of your own home? You've had no direct negative impact on anyone. In legal terms all you've done is violated someone's government granted monopoly on an intangible thing. You haven't cost them anything, just denied them a right to control that never existed naturally in the first place.

Copyright is important, both in maintaining a viable economy and in promoting the progress of the arts and sciences. However, until the law is revised to be in line with the prevailing views of the people, it simply will never be respected. The genie is out of the bottle thanks to the internet and short of a totalitarian revocation of our rights, it'd be impossible to stop even a significant amount of it. There is no solution here but to change the law, and until such a time as it is changed, violation of it will be common place and viewed as a legitimate act of civil disobedience.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
To quote the Red vs Blue Real Life vs Internet skit "I don't want it to be illegal, therefore it isn't".

This same sort of argument can be used by people of either side though. I could also say in a similar but less iconic jest “I believe you are wrong because I say so, and therefore you should be tortured to death since I believe that is the punishment for wrong things. So let's all torture these people to death because their thievery is something horribly wrong!” The moral? dogma is bad no matter who uses it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
geowrian wrote:
Quote:
Nobody is claiming that all videos made available by fansubbers are later purchased. Sometimes it's...

For instance, how much would it cost them (and how long would it take) to just translate an episode and make it available on a digital download service? I believe this would make the VAST majority of anime viewers very happy and put the e-brake on fansubbing. It won't stop fansubbing completely, but it would pretty much end this whole debate. Fans are happier, sales go up, etc. I know that's an ideal situation, but it's a completely untapped market unless you count fansubs. All it takes is for somebody to take the risk. Yes, they can compete with free...

In this scope, what is even the 'value-added' element of the above quoted example? What 'added value' does a $1.99 fast official subtitled release have over it's free fansub alternative? Here 'value-added' becomes a term with no specific bearing to the conversation, it's just jargon to dress up the argument and make it seem as if any and all the industries problems stem from a bad 'business model', and fansubbers are merely 'progressive' consumers who have blazed a new path. It's relevant to write/debate about realistic ways the industry could improve/stay profitable, but employing the most flimsiest of 'Market competition' arguments is nothing more then the new model 'Let's pass the Fansub Buck' rolled of the rhetoric assembly line (Though being honest, I do like it better then the conspiracy-theory/low-rent Utopian 'IP rights are a scam by the Government to keep you oppressed!!!' kick ).

You're completely ignoring the fact that after one company starts doing this, sure there is no VA by purchasing a 1.99 episode..maybe a slightly improved quality or some other minor feature. People will still prefer free. However, one of two results will occur:

a) Fansub groups, that generally stop subbing licensed shows, will stop. This leaves the main alternative as the prescribed service. I don't know if you are aware of it, but most of the prominent quality fansubbers follow this rule. The ones that DON'T, are usually low quality, and in this case there is value added by purchasing the episode: quality, as opposed to low quality subs by groups like "Anonymous".

b) But what happens if the fansub problem persists? Groups I respect stop subbing after shows have been licensed, but groups that subbed Naruto and Bleach continued even after licensing. In this case, all I have to is cite some famous examples: music industry/RIAA v. Napster. They bust out their legal army and show that they're doing something legally, for profit, while there still exists a black market that distributes these for free (like the sub group "Dattebayo", as a famous example). Fansub groups are not impeccable, they leave a trace and most even advertise with their own websites. It only takes one scapegoat to cause some unrest and panic from these "2x illegal" fansub groups (where groups that sub only unlicensed shows are slightly better in the area of legality...supposedly).

Of course I would like for this witch hunt to go after only those groups that persist in subbing licensed shows, but essentially if companies head down that hell's road, it will affect a few of the more honorable groups that actually care about the industry. In that case, I should hope that they too would move on anyway, and perhaps become employed and earn a living for this online distribution portion of the industry, using their talents for subbing within the industry using this new model.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Randompeon wrote:

The argument I'm putting forth is, if you don't truly like something, you're not going to download more than a few episodes. If you have every episode of BLEACH on your PC, obviously you should be purchasing the official releases.

shadowblack wrote:
OneHotAlchemist wrote:

No, it's not different. Borrowing a book or borrowing a DVD someone else has bought previously means that I get that book - or that DVD - for free. The "original creator" gets no money from ME. I get it for free. The fact that someone else had paid for it is irrelevant. After all, the person providing the fansubbed version may have also paid for watching the show...

Situation 1:
I buy a DVD and let dozens of people watch it for free (by borrowing it from me)

Situation 2:
I buy a DVD, make a DVD-rip, and give that rip to dozens of my friends, who then watch if for free

Situation 3:
Identical to Situation 2, only this time I use Internet to let my friends get the rip, instead of bringing it to them in person

What is the difference between the three? You have a person who had paid for the DVD, and you have people watching it for free. In all three cases the original creator gets nothing from the people who watch it without paying.

The difference is, you're not giving it to dozens of friends. You're giving it to dozens of thousands of friends.

Furthermore, if your friends enjoyed that series, would they go out and buy Volume 2, or would they wait for you to burn them all copies of it? If they supported anime, they would, ya know, buy it.

Quote:
What's more, those RAWs used for making the fansubs would not be there if someone had not paid to watch the show on TV (or had not bought it on DVD). So "the original was paid for" is not a valid argument here.

So, for instance, I pay for a videogame, say... Orange Box. I make millions of copies of that game and distribute them freely on my website. You wouldn't see a problem with that? The difference is the "scale" of the argument. Furthermore, if people truly supported the ones making the shows, they would be supporting them monetarily. Simply "liking" a show and "being a fan of it" doesn't mean diddly, because you are not helping that creator in any way.

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't speak japanese, so buying the original version is out of the question.

You see, this would be a great example of "good" that fansubs can do. Unfortunately, people don't purchase a japanese release. If everyone purchased a japanese release of the fansubs they horde, then fansubs would be viewed as totally harmless.

So you're essentially saying that because you don't have access to the goods you want you deserve them for free. No, no you don't.

I think the greatest question a fansub leach can ask themselves is "What am I doing to offset the free anime I'm getting? How am I compensating ?" If you're buying Naruto plushies and Naruto headbands and Naruto gear, that's one thing. But if you're buying items not related to a favorite show, what incentive does that creator have to keep making it?

On another note, perhaps (in UK and the US) a free streaming service, based primarily on ad-based revenue would work best. Translation times would have to be increased. The only problem being, attaining the rights for the various shows. I'm also unsure as to how much revenue an ad-based service could provide.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
"If I was forced to pay to watch it, I wouldn't watch it"?

Wow. You watch shows without paying a cent for them. and then you say you wouldn't watch them anyway if you had to pay for it? What a leech. You are proof enough. Without any notification or credit to the manufacture that their show was watched.

Here is the problem with what you're saying here. You are insisting that there is something wrong with someone being unwilling to buy anime in DVD form. That is just ridiculous. I guess by your logic anyone who ever watched a TV show and liked it but wouldn't have been willing to just go out and buy it on DVD is also a problem?

You can call them leeches or whatever other nasty little insults you can think of, but the reality is that a large contingent of fans of anime don't value anime enough to pay 25 bucks for 4 episodes. I'm sure these people would love to support the industry if they could do so without paying or at least while paying less than DVD prices. However, if their willingness to buy is less than the price created by the industries chosen distribution method, they have every right to say: No, I'm not willing to pay that much so I'm not going to buy that. It doesn't make them a leech any more than you would be a leech every time you decide not to buy something because it costs more than you are willing to pay.

Quote:
If you can't see the problem with that and how it does lead to the industry losing money fairly directly, then I feel sorry for you. I am sick of this logic of buying accessories or hardware or black CDs to make up for not paying for a show.

That digital video you downloaded didn't make itself. It took time and money. Those companies are losing out and you're not paying them a cent.

I don't doubt that this does cause a problem. Obviously the industry needs to make money. However, you are blaming it on people for not being willing to buy. If they aren't willing to pay the price then they have every right not to pay it. Whether they should then go and download it illegally is a separate issue. Whether they do that or not though, then end result is still that they don't buy it and so the problem really comes down to that they aren't willing to pay what the industry charges. They are in no way obligated to be willing to pay this though. The reality is that in the end the industry is in trouble because there is a lack of demand for anime at the current price. It's not peoples fault for being unwilling to pay. It's just simple economics.

Quote:
"I wasn't going to buy it anyway" is NOT an excuse. It's pathetic. Maybe you should watch something worth spending money on instead of wasting time on meaningless freebies.

Yeah, thats brilliant. Lets have everyone who isn't willing to pay for anime DVDs just forget about it and go do something else. Then, the small group of people who is actually willing to buy DVDs who of course are already buying them can keep doing so and the industry can keep losing money because this group of hardcore fans is nowhere near enough to support it.

If the industry needs to find a way to gain from these fans who aren't willing to buy DVDs. That is just the way it works if any product hopes to break into any sort of relative mainstream. If they industry wants to be as big as it is now it has to realize that a big portion of it's fans are going to watch anime because they enjoy it but not enough to go out and buy DVDs.

Quote:
Geez someone I know does that. THey download fansubs and tell me how horrible the show is. Horrible harem dating game based anime. I make fun of them for it. I ask why they watch it and they say it doesn't matter because it's free. Geez.

Well I agree, thats just stupid. However, there is a massive area between not being willing to pay for something because you think it's stupid and liking something enough to be willing to buy it on DVD. You may still enjoy something, you might even enjoy it a lot. That doesn't mean you must automatically be willing to pay to buy it on DVD though.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Alright, unless this is going to go somewhere besides the anti crew saying it's wrong and the pro crew saying "tough" then I'm going to have to lock it. There are already other fansub threads going, with the same people saying the same thing (surprise surprise), we don't need 20 of them. This one is starting to generate reports, including some flaming going on now. If it's going to degrade and there's other threads open then this one has outlived its usefulness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17