• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I was mostly disappointed by this trite, trope-filled, filler-esque beach episode, and the part that bothered me the most was the boys' camaraderie in ogling girls as an activity, because it immediately suspended my disbelief that they were raised in a bubble. When kids are kept ignorant about sex and raised in a segregated environment, as in fundamentalist communities, they wouldn't act like that. Not that they wouldn't look at girls they're attracted to, but they wouldn't make "girl-watching" into a communal game, reinforcing a "forbidden" activity within their peer group.

Completely agree, it completely broke my suspense of disbelief. They don't know what a kiss is but they find pleasure in ogling girls' breasts and butts?
Add me to the list of people who thought that scene completely broke immersion. It was just a dumb excuse for fanservice and Goro's line about "being a guy" implied that it was perfectly natural for him to ogle his female comrades, which clearly contradicts what was previously established about the kids' sheltered nature and unawareness about sex. Couldn't help but facepalm at that.
Humblemumble01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Mojave wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I was mostly disappointed by this trite, trope-filled, filler-esque beach episode, and the part that bothered me the most was the boys' camaraderie in ogling girls as an activity, because it immediately suspended my disbelief that they were raised in a bubble. When kids are kept ignorant about sex and raised in a segregated environment, as in fundamentalist communities, they wouldn't act like that. Not that they wouldn't look at girls they're attracted to, but they wouldn't make "girl-watching" into a communal game, reinforcing a "forbidden" activity within their peer group.

Completely agree, it completely broke my suspense of disbelief. They don't know what a kiss is but they find pleasure in ogling girls' breasts and butts?

It made me remember of an episode in the weird Centaur's Life that featured the merpeople society. In that society, it was the standard that girls didn't cover their breasts, so a couple of guys are shown having no interest in ogling their naked classmates because it's a normal thing for them. Conversely, they did show interest in a half-mermaid girl who had been raised outside the Merpeople country, so she covered her breasts. The boys were attracted to her modesty because that's what they found exotic. Although I wasn't a fan of the narrative that boys enjoyed seeing a girl ashamed of having to expose her body, it was at least more consistent with the established setting instead of trying to throw gratuitous winks at the audience that make no sense in the context of the series. The worldbuilding of the show so far is already very slim, and this type of moments break the coherency of the story

I actually had a very different take on this scene. It immediately seemed different to me than the standard "The guys inappropriately ogle the girls at the beach" trope that pops up in so many anime. If you notice, each of the boys looks primarily at his own partner. They're not engaging in the forbidden group activity of ogling girls, they're collectively getting their first experiences with seeing their partners in a manner different from how they have been raised up to this point. With how strict the separation is, this is the most revealed they may have ever seen each of their partners. So they're enjoying that experience of seeing their respective partners in a new light, together. It's pretty much exactly the situation that Agent355 talked about with fundamentalist communities, as each boy is getting their first look at their partner in this new way. Instead of being a mindless trope, I thought this scene was actually excellent writing, as it took the place of where the common trope would be in this type of episode, and changed it to be different in tone and also adhere to its world's own logic.
You beat me to the punch. I had a feeling what the scene was meant to convey, and what the camera was showing us, were not one and the same. The camera gave us fanservice, which is what everyone expects, but the boys likely weren't ogling the girls breasts or butt like the camera was. As you said, they were watching their respective partners as a whole, not specific body parts, let alone in a sexual manner. We've already seen that they feel love and heartache even if they don't understand what it is, so it makes sense that, admiring their partners, they'd feel something and try to interpret it as a group. They watch the girls frolic on the beach, their hearts feeling strange, a feeling they don't quite understand, but that they like.

If that's the case than the show really needs to pick its shots a hell of a lot more carefully because what I saw onscreen conveyed something completely different from what you and @Mojave just said. As it stands, I'm having a hard time believing anything the show decides to throw at me and the way they are framing things like that is not helping.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Before this episode, Darling has showed us how segregated the kids are--boys and girls have separate dorms, separate changing rooms and even separate dining tables. We know that the boys are taught that it's wrong to watch the girls change, and we saw how instinctively embarrassed Hiro was when he saw 02 bathing.

So social shame is reinforced, and usually, in those situations, either openly ogling girls would be considered just as shameful, in which case the boys wouldn't admit to one another that they're doing it and therefore it wouldn't be a group activity, or they would be taught that girl watching in certain circumstances is ok by media or adults modeling that behavior and feel ok to engage in it themselves, as they did in this episode. We never saw them getting that message, so it felt so "off" to me. Like the show was trying to have its cake and eat it, too--show the boys as relatable and "normal" to modern secular audiences despite their bubbled, ignorant upbringing.

The town exploration was more interesting. If I were one of those kids, I'd grab every piece of reading material I could find! I think Kokoro kept the maternal education booklet, but it looked like Ichigo put the romance novel back, which is too bad.

On the note of reading materials, what was Ikuni reading? I'm wondering what type of books these sheltered kids, who barely understand their own world structure let alone history, have access to.

It doesn’t seem strange to me. If anything I find it hard to believe that a society that uses mechs where the female pilot is bent over in a skin tight suit and the male pilot controls the mech by grabbing handles that come off of the rear end of the female pilot finds the ogling of women forbidden and shameful. They do have separate bedrooms and changing rooms but I’m hard pressed to come up with a modern secular society that doesn’t have the latter. Even in hot springs in Japan that offer mixed bathing still have gender segregated changing rooms. And while they have separate dining tables, they are both in the same room with no veil in between them. Likewise the girls and boys dorms seem to be in the same building and there are no barriers between these sections. Outside of sleeping, bathing, and changing, the boys and girls are practically always together and there appears to be no direct adult supervision outside of work nor has anyone be punished for fraternizing with the opposite sex, beyond Ichigo reprimanding Zero Two, and she had other motives for that beyond the rules. They don’t really seem to have any modesty rules beyond the uniforms but I don’t know that the girl’s skirts would pass muster at say a Catholic school and they certainly weren’t prevented from wearing bikinis, not to mention the skin tight pilot suits. If their intent as a society was to forbid and shame the ogling of women, they failed pretty hard. Surreptitiously watching women change may well be forbidden but that isn’t any different from modern secular societies. I don’t really see their society as akin to fundamentalists but rather they just don’t have sex ed or other venues to learn about sexuality beyond direct experimentation and rumors amongst themselves.

Nor do I think it is odd for the boys to find looking at the girls appealing absent being taught about sex. I don’t recall ever having to be taught to find the secondary sexual characteristics of women appealing. I don’t see why they need to know exactly why doing so makes them feel that way or what exactly it is to find it appealing and aside from particular situations, which does not include the beach generally, I don’t see why they would feel the need to hide that and not commiserate about it. I think the idea that sheltering teenagers from sex will prevent them from experiencing such feelings is about as naive about the horniness of teenagers as the societies you are comparing them too.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

It made me remember of an episode in the weird Centaur's Life that featured the merpeople society. In that society, it was the standard that girls didn't cover their breasts, so a couple of guys are shown having no interest in ogling their naked classmates because it's a normal thing for them. Conversely, they did show interest in a half-mermaid girl who had been raised outside the Merpeople country, so she covered her breasts. The boys were attracted to her modesty because that's what they found exotic. Although I wasn't a fan of the narrative that boys enjoyed seeing a girl ashamed of having to expose her body, it was at least more consistent with the established setting instead of trying to throw gratuitous winks at the audience that make no sense in the context of the series. The worldbuilding of the show so far is already very slim, and this type of moments break the coherency of the story

I actually had a very different take on this scene. It immediately seemed different to me than the standard "The guys inappropriately ogle the girls at the beach" trope that pops up in so many anime. If you notice, each of the boys looks primarily at his own partner. They're not engaging in the forbidden group activity of ogling girls, they're collectively getting their first experiences with seeing their partners in a manner different from how they have been raised up to this point. With how strict the separation is, this is the most revealed they may have ever seen each of their partners. So they're enjoying that experience of seeing their respective partners in a new light, together. It's pretty much exactly the situation that Agent355 talked about with fundamentalist communities, as each boy is getting their first look at their partner in this new way. Instead of being a mindless trope, I thought this scene was actually excellent writing, as it took the place of where the common trope would be in this type of episode, and changed it to be different in tone and also adhere to its world's own logic.

If that’s the case, then it bugs me that it’s so one-sided. We only ever see the boys sexualizing the girls, never the other way around. Even Ichigo’s attraction to Hiro is framed as something more innocent and emotional; we never see any lingering camera shots of his body from her perspective the same way we see those of the girls.

I actually feel the lack of male fanservice and lust on the girls’ part greatly undermines the themes of the show. So far, they’re trying to tell us that 1) sex is natural and it shouldn’t be repressed in any way, and 2) successful relationships can only happen when there’s love and consent alongside sex. By only showing female fanservice and keeping the lustful feelings firmly in the guys’ camp, the show’s giving me the impression that sex is only okay when guys do it, that girls somehow don’t (or, god forbid, can’t) feel sexual lust when that’s obviously not true. It automatically takes away their sexual autonomy and seriously reduces any potential consent they could have within a partnership.

I know there’s still a ways to go with this series, and the themes could totally change, but for now, they’re more than a little troubling to me.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
the show’s giving me the impression that sex is only okay when guys do it, that girls somehow don’t (or, god forbid, can’t) feel sexual lust when that’s obviously not true. It automatically takes away their sexual autonomy and seriously reduces any potential consent they could have within a partnership
No idea how you could even begin to have those thoughts given that this same show you're talking about has 02 as its main female lead. And if she's not the most sexually aggressive being on their planet then no one is.

Anyway... Beach episode. This show is really trying its best to disappoint the audience, I think. The only thing missing from that cliche-filled smorgasbord was the watermelon bashing.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Kiddo626 wrote:
the show’s giving me the impression that sex is only okay when guys do it, that girls somehow don’t (or, god forbid, can’t) feel sexual lust when that’s obviously not true. It automatically takes away their sexual autonomy and seriously reduces any potential consent they could have within a partnership
No idea how you could even begin to have those thoughts given that this same show you're talking about has 02 as its main female lead. And if she's not the most sexually aggressive being on their planet then no one is.

But she’s portrayed as alien, weird, and sometimes even demonic and unnatural. I guess it just doesn’t sit right with me that the girls somehow need an external force to even understand the idea that women can have sexual thoughts, whereas these sexual feelings are something that comes to the guys naturally, without a Zero Two-like counterpart to introduce it to them. I mean, maybe that’s the show’s intention, and it’ll be brought up later on, but as of right now, the way they’re handling these themes is not instilling much confidence.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
But she’s portrayed as alien, weird, and sometimes even demonic and unnatural.
And? What does that have to do with anything? She's not some gray amorphous sexless blob, she's still a girl.

And secondly she's mostly that way because, presumably, all her life she's suffered from discrimination, and I'd wager people have always been tense and on their guard whenever she's nearby. So she has never learned how to properly socialize within a group.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Nor do I think it is odd for the boys to find looking at the girls appealing absent being taught about sex. I don’t recall ever having to be taught to find the secondary sexual characteristics of women appealing. I don’t see why they need to know exactly why doing so makes them feel that way or what exactly it is to find it appealing and aside from particular situations, which does not include the beach generally, I don’t see why they would feel the need to hide that and not commiserate about it. I think the idea that sheltering teenagers from sex will prevent them from experiencing such feelings is about as naive about the horniness of teenagers as the societies you are comparing them too.

I want to make it clear that I didn't find the boys being attracted to the girls odd, just the dialogue around it--Goro said something to the effect of "of course I enjoy the view, I'm a guy." That's a perfectly normal sentiment for people who grew up in cultures that teach them that boys should be attracted to girls and express it aloud with other boys. I'm not arguing that sexual desire or attraction needs to be taught, but people underestimate how much expression of sexual desire and attraction--from statements like "I'm a guy, of course I'd enjoy the view" to which specific body parts are considered most attractive--are culturally and socially influenced.

I lean towards the Ace end of the spectrum, so as a tween, I actually *was* taught which (usually celebrity) boy I was supposed to find attractive or else seem like a weird outlier to my peer group. The more religious the peer, the less it was even a topic of discussion, not because religious people don't have those feelings but because they're not encouraged to discuss them.
And these characters
zrnzle500 wrote:

don’t have sex ed or other venues to learn about sexuality beyond direct experimentation and rumors amongst themselves.

They also don't have any adults, media, or older siblings/peers to model after. If they were taking classes from Dr. "Groped the Assistant's Butt" Franxx, I'd understand. On that note, and the plug suits, remember when 02 told Hiro that Dr. Franxx said it's good for pilots to be a little pervy, and he was confused? That's because they're taught that everything relating to piloting is for the sake of piloting. 02's knowledge of perviness and expression of her own desire is an anomaly to these kids, and seems to come, in part, from the adults in her life.
Chrysostomus wrote:
Kiddo626 wrote:
But she’s portrayed as alien, weird, and sometimes even demonic and unnatural.
And? What does that have to do with anything? She's not some gray amorphous sexless blob, she's still a girl.

She's the most unusual girl in the group, and her expression of sexual desire is a big part of why the others find her strange. They apparently don't find it strange when Zorome stares at his partner is a bathing suit, but the way 02 acts around Hiro is weird. None of the other (read: normal) girls act that way. I see Kiddo626's point.
Mojave wrote:
If you notice, each of the boys looks primarily at his own partner. They're not engaging in the forbidden group activity of ogling girls, they're collectively getting their first experiences with seeing their partners in a manner different from how they have been raised up to this point. With how strict the separation is, this is the most revealed they may have ever seen each of their partners. So they're enjoying that experience of seeing their respective partners in a new light, together. It's pretty much exactly the situation that Agent355 talked about with fundamentalist communities, as each boy is getting their first look at their partner in this new way. Instead of being a mindless trope, I thought this scene was actually excellent writing, as it took the place of where the common trope would be in this type of episode, and changed it to be different in tone and also adhere to its world's own logic.

That's a good point! It would have been portrayed better if their dialogue about "enjoying the view" was either kept to inner monologues or came out in conversation with their specific partners. I actually like how the show handled Hiro's feelings this episode--telling 02 that she looked prettier than usual but he was having trouble looking her in the eye. That was the perfect way to show Hiro's realization of his increased attraction to Zero 2.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I want to make it clear that I didn't find the boys being attracted to the girls odd, just the dialogue around it--Goro said something to the effect of "of course I enjoy the view, I'm a guy." That's a perfectly normal sentiment for people who grew up in cultures that teach them that boys should be attracted to girls and express it aloud with other boys. I'm not arguing that sexual desire or attraction needs to be taught, but people underestimate how much expression of sexual desire and attraction--from statements like "I'm a guy, of course I'd enjoy the view" to which specific body parts are considered most attractive--are culturally and socially influenced.

I lean towards the Ace end of the spectrum, so as a tween, I actually *was* taught which (usually celebrity) boy I was supposed to find attractive or else seem like a weird outlier to my peer group. The more religious the peer, the less it was even a topic of discussion, not because religious people don't have those feelings but because they're not encouraged to discuss them.
And these characters

[...]

They also don't have any adults, media, or older siblings/peers to model after. If they were taking classes from Dr. "Groped the Assistant's Butt" Franxx, I'd understand. On that note, and the plug suits, remember when 02 told Hiro that Dr. Franxx said it's good for pilots to be a little pervy, and he was confused? That's because they're taught that everything relating to piloting is for the sake of piloting. 02's knowledge of perviness and expression of her own desire is an anomaly to these kids, and seems to come, in part, from the adults in her life.

I think you were pretty clear that you didn't find their attraction itself odd. My second paragraph was more aimed at some of the others who took issue with them not knowing about kissing but still finding boobs and butts attractive.

While they are sheltered, I think it is less that the topic is actively discouraged than the adults don't take it upon themselves to educate them and that they are isolated from the rest of society. I don't know that I can say definitely that they would express their attraction as they have absent social cues, but I don't think their society is trying to prevent or discourage it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
^ I still think that the Parasites are less human than Zero 2. Probably much less human. The Doctor seems to be attempting an experiment in socializing them in an attempt to create stronger bonding for piloting the mechs. The beach episode strongly points in that direction, and would indicate why the activities presented were activities that Japanese people would recognize as common socializing elements.

To be honest, this has been my least favorite episode so far. I didn't like the (what I felt) forced nature of many of the scenes and interactions, and I thought the girl finding the baby book was *too* coincidental.

I just hope that I'm wrong about my earlier thought that this is basically a RL government service announcement: Hey, kids, sex is OK! Do your part to help increase our population and ensure the survival of the (Japanese) species! If that's what this turns out to be, I'll be *very* disappointed with Trigger.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was mildly interesting that it's been twice now either Mitsuru and Kokoro have stumbled across each other alone. It's probably just coincidence, but..... Maybe something is being vaguely foreshadowed?

I also noticed how starkly Mitsuru's and Ikuno's relationship contrasts with the other pilot pairs. All the rest seem to have some level of healthy rapport, but these two? They're almost callous towards each other. I bet these two in particular have some rough times ahead.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
I thought it was mildly interesting that it's been twice now either Mitsuru and Kokoro have stumbled across each other alone. It's probably just coincidence, but..... Maybe something is being vaguely foreshadowed?

I also noticed how starkly Mitsuru's and Ikuno's relationship contrasts with the other pilot pairs. All the rest seem to have some level of healthy rapport, but these two? They're almost callous towards each other. I bet these two in particular have some rough times ahead.
I'm not gonna lie, the fact that Mitsuru was the one that came upon Kokoro right when she found that baby-making book gives me really bad vibes.

And considering Mitsuru's tendencies with women up to this point...
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ I still think that the Parasites are less human than Zero 2. Probably much less human. The Doctor seems to be attempting an experiment in socializing them in an attempt to create stronger bonding for piloting the mechs. The beach episode strongly points in that direction, and would indicate why the activities presented were activities that Japanese people would recognize as common socializing elements.

Dr. Franxx does not seem like a good role model on what it means to be an adult human, especially if he's the one teaching Zero Two ideas like "kissing means someone belongs to you"...
Quote:

To be honest, this has been my least favorite episode so far. I didn't like the (what I felt) forced nature of many of the scenes and interactions, and I thought the girl finding the baby book was *too* coincidental.

I just hope that I'm wrong about my earlier thought that this is basically a RL government service announcement: Hey, kids, sex is OK! Do your part to help increase our population and ensure the survival of the (Japanese) species! If that's what this turns out to be, I'll be *very* disappointed with Trigger.

I wrote off all the conspiracy theory thoughts as satire before, but that baby book seems mighty suspicious...if Mitsuru & Kokoro end up having a baby and everyone (in show) is happy about it, at least this thread'll get bragging rights! Razz
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I think they maybe engineered humans, but its hard to say.

I do think show is heading down direction of more natural relationships. We've seen little to nothing of what adults are like. There no one with the pilots while their in their caged garden. I don't get what hiro did to resist the problems inflicted from Zero Two.

Episode 7 was bit puzzling, but i know why they did it. The ruins should been more run down than they showed, with paper products having disintegrated after 100 years exposed to the elements. Why there still ocean on desert planet seems to be contrast to way we've seen the state of the world so far. My impression is Plantation 13 seems to be to in Japan from the looks of the ruins of the coastal community. Which would be MORE confusing why lands are so flat, when real Japan hilly if not mountainous in comparison.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I think they maybe engineered humans, but its hard to say.

I do think show is heading down direction of more natural relationships. We've seen little to nothing of what adults are like. There no one with the pilots while their in their caged garden. I don't get what hiro did to resist the problems inflicted from Zero Two.

Episode 7 was bit puzzling, but i know why they did it. The ruins should been more run down than they showed, with paper products having disintegrated after 100 years exposed to the elements. Why there still ocean on desert planet seems to be contrast to way we've seen the state of the world so far. My impression is Plantation 13 seems to be to in Japan from the looks of the ruins of the coastal community. Which would be MORE confusing why lands are so flat, when real Japan hilly if not mountainous in comparison.

that what i was wondering. is it possible their not even in that part of the world? or is it possible those creatures destroyed them? only time will tell.

regardless, if there is one thing that the series got right, is that its english dub is 100% top notch if i say so myself. though there are times that when shipman is in "hiro narration mode" the resemblance of vocal tone between and josh grelle is so uncanny there are some people from other forums though he was voicing him or is using an alias.

other than that, they definitely pulled out the stops for this dub. but considering that its a studio trigger series with some eva inspirations, they pretty much have to.

at least Funi didn't go overboard like they did and ACTUALLY had the entire EVA cast do this series. that would seriously open up a really messy crapshoot to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 124