• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Scum's Wish

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
It's exactly the kind of reaction I'd expect from a genuinely nice guy, albeit dramatized a tad.

That's the kind of reaction I'd expect from a complete manko. Akane wonders if he isn't a bit twisted, after all, and I'm inclined to agree. He's "hey, it's all cool!" attitude towards her sleeping around maybe less a matter of trying to convince her that she has intrinsic value and more just a streak of masochism. It's hard to say, of course, because the show has resolutely denied any access to his inner thoughts (pretty much).
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think his reaction necessarily implies acceptace that the two of them won't be exclusive if-and-when that's agreed upon (unless he's into polyamory or something, but that'd be a real curveball), or that he doesn't value that. It just entails a lack of judgment of her prior sexual promiscuity - and I don't see why he should judge her for that, outside of his obvious concern for her tattered self-image.

I mean I guess if you take her monologue literally it would be rather disturbing; if she'd literally sleep with anyone that poses some obvious safety concerns for him as another of her sexual partners. But I don't get the sense that she was speaking literally or that he interpreted what she said literally, and I can't imagine why he would in that situation (where she was obviously distressed, just having been publicly dressed down by a former lover).

Really, the only part of her behavior that I think he should react in anger and condemnation about is how she has emotionally manipulated her lovers, including a number of people much younger and more inexperienced than her. But that never came up in her monologue, so I don't see how Kanai's reaction to her monologue has anything to do with that stuff. As far as we know he is still blithely unaware of how she has e.g. treated Mugi and Hanabi, and Kanai's concern for Akane is therefore unconnected from her vile behavior towards others.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree that he doesn't have any insight into Akane's attitude towards Hanabi or her charming habit of making other females miserable for kicks. The fact that Leftovers-kun is not terribly old should give Mr. It's All Cool! pause, but clearly doesn't. In fact, the way he just stood there like a lump while this kid called Akane a slut shows what a wet noodle he is.

And as I said before, I do not know enough about his character to be able to attach a proper value to his reaction. Assuming your interpretation is correct, that smacks of condescension, imo: "oh don't worry, I'll save you from your promiscuity which is clearly just a cry for help and an indication that you don't value yourself." What a load.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure he thinks he can or intends to save her, exactly, and I don't think he conveyed that; something that heavy-handed would have definitely felt condescending. Instead I just read it as him responding to her self-dismissal by validating her; he saw her deny her own value openly, and so he reassured her that his affection and valuing of her isn't dependent on her sexual promiscuity, that he sees her as meaningful-in-herself and certainly not worthless. I don't think that reads as condescending, just empathetic.
Lifesongsoa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Akane and Kanai themselves are not all that old. Both are new teachers at their school and inexperienced adults.

Kanai didn't surprise me much. He told us everything we needed to know about him back in like episode 2? He knew that Akane was too good to be true and decided to go for it anyway and he told us that he doesn't have strong emotional reactions. He had a reaction to Akane and decided to go for it, but he doesn't have the strong expectations she expected him to have. I'd expect Kanai to be calm and collected even if he knew about Hanabi and Mugi. Having him lose it might be interesting too, but the character in the crosshairs right now is Akane. I doubt the show has much time to expand on Kanai.

My interpretation of Kanai is similar to NeverConvex's interpretation. I think he didn't like seeing Akane devalue herself. I'd add that I suspect Kanai's understanding of Akane's emotions is likely more accurate than Akane's own understanding of herself as shown by when she considers what it means to change. She doesn't know how to change. How she is all she knows. She is thinking about it so there is some hope for her, but she is completely oblivious to how Mugi and Kanai are working themselves in. She thinks they are all still a part of her game and hasn't recognized either of them as a threat to her identity yet. I think it makes sense that she doesn't see them as individuals. She has convinced herself that identity doesn't matter so of course she is going to be slow on the uptake when she starts reconsidering her own.

It's become really obvious to me that Akane's power fantasy is more her fantasy than her reality. I was worried I might be projecting at first, but it seemed pretty obvious this episode. Akane takes credit for being a terrible person and gets off on it. The way she spins is not necessarily how she feels about it or how responsible she is for it. She mentions early on in the show that she hates having so much of her time stripped away from her and yet she works at a school. She goes with the flow wherever it might lead, but isolates herself from everyone else on the same boring path she is on. In a sense she never had someone to back her up like Hanabi had in Kanai. Akane is inches away from discovering jealously.

I'm not sure exactly what will come next, but I doubt it's something we can consider wish fulfillment for Akane. I sooner expect fulfillment for Mugi, though I do feel he's earned it so if it plays out that way I probably won't call it that. Akane is starting to consider what change might mean, but she doesn't see it as a realistic option for her. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I'd be satisfied seeing her admit that she wants to care about her own identity.

Bad people who act like bad people and enjoy doing so are still real people. The way people think and act isn't always compatible with how they feel. I know the stereotype is that people don't change and in a core personality way that is probably true, but does Akane need to act like a terrible person to be true to her personality? The number one thing that inspires change in people is education I think. Akane is the most naive character in this anime.

We have maybe one episode for resolving Mugi and Akane? I can imagine all sorts of scenarios, but I feel we don't have any strong indication of exactly how Mugi plans to go about sinking Akane's battleship. Or is he sinking his own battleship? Only a few more days until we know!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm not sure he thinks he can or intends to save her, exactly, and I don't think he conveyed that; something that heavy-handed would have definitely felt condescending. Instead I just read it as him responding to her self-dismissal by validating her; he saw her deny her own value openly, and so he reassured her that his affection and valuing of her isn't dependent on her sexual promiscuity, that he sees her as meaningful-in-herself and certainly not worthless. I don't think that reads as condescending, just empathetic.

Yeah, that's how I read Kanai as well. Mother/Savior complex aside, Kanai is one of the few characters who isn't shown as linking sexual desirability to self-worth, and given that that is a rampant problem for just about all of the main cast as they come to terms with themselves, I think that's a really big hint for how the show wants us to view him (whether you agree with that assessment or not).

EDIT: Brain fart; mixed up names. ^^;

Last edited by whiskeyii on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Yeah, that's how I read Akane as well. Mother/Savior complex aside, Akane is one of the few characters who isn't shown as linking sexual desirability to self-worth, and given that that is a rampant problem for just about all of the main cast as they come to terms with themselves, I think that's a really big hint for how the show wants us to view him (whether you agree with that assessment or not).

That's a very confusing place to insert Akane where you meant Kanai. Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not entirely sure that Akane was being self-dismissing with Kanai. Yes, she was using the words that were tossed at her - i.e. dirty slut - but I'm not convinced that that wasn't more in a sense of, "well, sure, these are the words society uses to describe people like me so whatever." I'm not entirely sure she herself attaches a negative value to what society considers a dirty slut. She may, it's just not ultra-obvious to me that she does.

Having said that, NeverConvex's (and I suppose Lifesongsoa's) interpretation may have some credence given her decision not to cut Kanai loose after all. I have to say I'll be somewhat disappointed if there is any change in her character based on, "gosh, a man refused to go along with my self-dismissal. Gee, I guess that's all I needed all these years."

However, we have yet to see the final episode, so it may not come to that.
Lifesongsoa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Having said that, NeverConvex's (and I suppose Lifesongsoa's) interpretation may have some credence given her decision not to cut Kanai loose after all. I have to say I'll be somewhat disappointed if there is any change in her character based on, "gosh, a man refused to go along with my self-dismissal. Gee, I guess that's all I needed all these years.".

You seem disappointed already just considering it. lol

I don't think Akane was lying to Kanai. I got the sense she dropped her guard because she didn't think she needed to lie to him. She also looked a bit genuinely upset to have her fun spoiled by leftovers even if she was planning to dump Kanai herself. I took her frustration to represent on a certain level not wanting to be judged poorly by Kanai. She needs to end things on her own terms while she is still desired to get what she is seeking out of the exchange. She needs to do it that way because she can't imagine getting it any other way. In her mind the other way is getting taking advantage of. There is nothing else. That is why she immediately suspects Kanai of having a NTR fetish.

Going from feeling isolated to forming an irreplaceable bond with someone who isn't demanding something from the exchange can be a pretty dramatic game changer for anyone I think. The how and why aren't too important I think. I wouldn't normally expect it to be recognized so easily in an unhealthy romantic relationship, but seeing as Kanai isn't trying to get in her pants I might be okay with him getting the point across.

I don't think Kanai has a savior complex I guess. He's every bit as boring as he stated he is I think. He's a boring dude doing whatever he thinks is best at any given moment. Probably... That should work fine for Akane though, if she drops her power game she is pretty damn boring too. (I won't be completely shocked if he plays some wild card none of us are expecting. He's been the biggest variable since the start of the narrative imo)

Mugi needs to dump Akane and move on. It's about the only thing of value I can see him doing for her.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Kanai is what I find least compelling about the narrative so far; he's the only question mark waiting to be filled in. Every other main character has been given some depth and psychosocial detail.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

That's a very confusing place to insert Akane where you meant Kanai. Razz

I feel doubly embarrassed because I did this same exact screw up in reverse last time, and promised myself I'd get it right next time. Whoops! Embarassed
lhernan02

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm starting to think this is actually a pretty stupid show.

I have been saying that since about episode three, but it is a wonderfully written stupid show. These characters can only exist in-universe, they are secondary trope characters given life by a writer who cares. I tune in just to see what new marvelous (regardless of how unlikely and/or unrealistic) twist the writer comes up with. I have criticized some of the situations because I find them externally bothersome (or peoples reactions to them, e.g. Ecchan), but they are great in-universe and have never disappointed. This weeks show further proves my point, it is unrealistic and I will say "stupid," but the Leftovers-kun/Akane/Kanai scene was downright glorious.

THIS is what Flowers of Evil should have been, except the production committee was smoking some good ganja and screwed the pooch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 had me close to puking. As was hinted by in episode 10, it looks like the show is going to go with, "All Akane needed was somebody to love her unconditionally!" And just to add a bit more grotesqueness to that particular shit sandwich, the show reminded us that a chunk of Kanai's putrid unconditional love for his sociopathetic girlfriend is that she reminds him of his dead mother. If that's true, what a cow she must have been.

Mugi continues to win the award for "16-year-old Male Character Conceived By Somebody Who Apparently Has No Idea How 16-year-old Males Actually Think." One of the most banal criticisms that can be lodged against a fictional character is that he or she isn't "realistic." Human experience is so varied and numerous that, mathematically speaking, there is an excellent chance there is one or more Mugis in real life. That doesn't stop the fictional Mugi from reeking of non-credibility, imo. A 16-year-old boy who is so absolutely clear-eyed about his own failings and the failings of the woman he's in love with? And a 16-year-old boy whose helpless love is powered by the need to be needed by a "broken" woman? Yeah, okay, fine.

Stupid, stupid show.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've also felt like Mugi is a bit too sharp though I'd extend that to pretty much every teenaged major character in the show. It hasn't really bothered me personally, but I understand why it might hurt the credibiity for others.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Let's face it, any show that doesn't depict teenagers as the massive mental defectives they actually are, has entered the genre of high fantasy. May as well toss in a few orcs and dragons to the mix, it would be just as realistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 21