• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Anime Dub Opening Songs

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I think you're mistaken on theme songs though. The seiyuu aren't the ones that usually sing those. OPs and EDs are usually done by established bands and artists. You might be thinking of character songs which are what character seiyuu sing.

It depends a lot on the show. The stuff I watch is about 50/50. I do notice that shoujo stuff tends to have the cast sing more often than shounen, but it's still not unheard of.
arromdee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I still remember the dub Sailor Moon using the lyrics "Never running from a real fight", at which one must wonder if they ever watched the show.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I went through 17 pages of chat responses, and not one mention of the Tokyopop butchering of Initial D? I thought it was worse than the One Piece rap, personally.
jstrahan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that Sandy Fox is as bad a singer as you said. I listened to it and it wasn't half bad. She doesn't deserve the appelation "she can't sing."
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
I went through 17 pages of chat responses, and not one mention of the Tokyopop butchering of Initial D? I thought it was worse than the One Piece rap, personally.

if you though that was bad,the english version for rave masters was even worse (which was also under the control of tokyopop. though yea the abomination that 4kids did to one piece is the primary reason why people despises their name. the same can say for what nelvana did with cardcaptor sakura.

sure, even though 4kids went bankrupt, sold most of their assets to konami and rename themselves as 4k media all in an effort to keep the yugioh franchise in their puzzy little hands, it still wont remove the stain. however magical knight rayearth and ronin warriors definitely dont need to be on this list. sure they sound bad now , but people who were new to anime definitely liked them. especially people like myself who watched ronin warriors on the first incarnation of toonami. and definitely ouran host high school should not even be on this list, sure it wasnt the best OP/ED english openings funimation did,but it definitely wasnt bad at the slightest. after all when it came to doing english OP/ED versions at least funi got that right for their earlier releases.also having some of their VAs do them helps somewhat.

Quote:
The original jazzy pop song "We Are!" by Hiroshi Kitadani got a much better dub treatment by Vic Mignogna when Funimation took over the series.

not exactly. while he did do the english version when they took over the series, he wasnt the only funi VA either. Catlin Glass did the ED for the alabasta arc and miss palenica (chopper's VA) did the english version of bon voyage for the skypeia arc as well for chopper's ED theme during the ending of the drum island arc and the start of the alabasta arc. and correct me if i am wrong cause i am probably am , but i believe that (at least from how it sounds like) steaphnie young did the english version for ED 4 which was used for the little garden arc. so vic wasnt the only funi VA that did english songs for the series.

however the one thing that puzzles me is that for some reason funi decides to stop english version and just use the original japaneese versions when they got around to the water 7/enies lobby arc. Why was that???

if fans were complaining about them, i would understand,but i never heard of fans disliking them and no one was talking badly on those english versions.hell most people back then were glad that those versions were ten times better than the crap 4kids did.

and if they are using original OP and ED , does that mean they will be doing the same for the songs from the romance dawn arc to the skypeia arc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
however the one thing that puzzles me is that for some reason funi decides to stop english version and just use the original japaneese versions when they got around to the water 7/enies lobby arc. Why was that???

As I understand it, this occurred at the same time that that Funimation finally established its own cable channel.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
None of those takes the complete shyte opening dub bisquet like the one for the early "Initial D" done by "DJ Milky" (aka SL of TP Wink )
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
As I said before,a lot of these songs aren't bad. I wish that there would be a list of great dub songs. It would be great. But,that's neither here nor there. Today,I saw the decidedly inferior version of "I Ran (So Far Away)" done by Bowling For Soup on Youtube. It was done as an AMV to the opening of "Saint Seiya Omega." So,why doesn't someone do the same thing,except with the original version sung by A Flock of Seagulls? Sitting here thinking about it,that could one of the reasons why "Saint Seiya" didn't do well here in the States.
I don't know if anyone would do that but it would be a whole lot better than Bowling For Soup's version.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I wish that there would be a list of great dub songs.

There is a thread about English songs in the Music forum. The person who started it probably would not mind if you tried to get a list going there.

I think that I have some notes about dubbed songs from posts in other forums. If I can find them I might be able to contribute something.
I would not be surprised if there are some existing lists on the web.
This thread shows that there is some interest in the topic here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17