• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
It occurs to me that what the writers are doing in this series is essentially inverting the old Gundam formula. Our hero is the rebellious nobleman, the brilliant schemer, the rebel plotting to destroy the corrupt order. Meanwhile the main "good bad guy" is the young military recruit, determined to set things right and protect the people, who just got a new mecha which for whatever reason only he can pilot. And, of course, they're childhood friends. Interesting.

I must say, though- that Zero getup is the stupidest outfit I've seen in a while.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
I so want the artbox to BE the helmet...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
I must say, though- that Zero getup is the stupidest outfit I've seen in a while.

THANK YOU!

I was going to say something, but I don't think I would have been as nice so I didn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chaos42

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
actualy i though the helmet looked interesting its not a standard or normal one so i though it makes him stand out
loka

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
It occurs to me that what the writers are doing in this series is essentially inverting the old Gundam formula. Our hero is the rebellious nobleman, the brilliant schemer, the rebel plotting to destroy the corrupt order. Meanwhile the main "good bad guy" is the young military recruit, determined to set things right and protect the people, who just got a new mecha which for whatever reason only he can pilot. And, of course, they're childhood friends. Interesting.

you might really be on to something there with the whole inversion thing. unfortunately for gundam, that formula is so pervasive that once you've seen one, you've seen practically all of 'em. unless you care about mech designs.

and i agree; hearing johnny young bosch's voice come out of that outfit made it sound and look silly. it was much more badass in japanese. how he ruins that character!!
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
unfortunately for gundam, that formula is so pervasive that once you've seen one, you've seen practically all of 'em. unless you care about mech designs.

and i agree; hearing johnny young bosch's voice come out of that outfit made it sound and look silly. it was much more badass in japanese. how he ruins that character!!

several problems here>

1. Gundam series vary greatly between series (particularly AU series)

Wing is almost nothing like say SEED or Zeta (other than maybe the fact that they have Giant Robots called Gundams)

2. JYB does not kill the role it's rather unfair to blatantly claim such
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the Japanese version of this, but I do agree that having "Zero" have a different voice would make ten times more sense. If they even just used distortion, like in Death Note, it would improve things, but they don't, and the "no one can tell that Clark Kent is Superman" thing is bothering me. A lot. Not to mention that yes, voice or no voice, you can't argue that that Zero outfit is anything but SILLY.

But he's a nearly influenceless teenager. He probably made it himself. Nunnally couldn't have done it, anyway. Wink (Yes, I'm mean.)

And I'm really liking Crispin Freeman as Jeremiah. I mean, there's NOTHING new or interesting about that role, and he makes it pretty fun. Can someone please find me an instance where this man's acting was bad? Seriously. I mean it.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
he did change his tone of voice between student and Zero

sorry if you can't hear it.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Chaos42 wrote:
actualy i though the helmet looked interesting its not a standard or normal one so i though it makes him stand out

The helmet isn't the problem. Actually the helmet is kinda cool, though one wonders where he got it. But that damn cape- Dracula lapels, worn wrapped around his body, makes it look cheesy as all hell.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Agreed aside from the helmet it's pretty cheesy. Also they just showed where he got the costume made in the last episode that aired Saturday. It was pretty brief though blink and you'll miss it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Zero's costume is a bit . . . fabulous, eh? Where did he even get that thing? It makes less sense than Spidey's costume in the movie.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
There's a scene in one of those episodes where Lelouche uses his Geass on some craftsman guy in order to have him construct his fabulous and hi-tech costume.

The helmet is badass. The rest of it is a little ostentatious, though.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
he wares that costume for a reason-one to hid his physical features and two because its like in v for vendetta and batman-theatrics get peoples attention and can give you power also it promots the iconic aspect and contribues to the fad factor-things like that become fads. as such they serve a funciton

plus he's like an actor on a stage-he's preforming you have to be in costume
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
In these last 2 episodes, the series has definitely gotten better. It's been way more intriguing in terms of plot in comparison to the first 2 episodes. I'm looking forward to more. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 60