• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon's Crown

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
followed in the next breath by "of course they're going to make what sells!"
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The video game industry is about the last one you can defend with "but what about the artistic integrity?! Don't bind the creator's ability to express the vision they want!"

so all gaming artist or story creators should just conform in order to please ever-body that disagrees with them?? All game creators should just create a standard art style or way of telling a narrative that will please everybody??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so all gaming artist or story creators should just conform in order to please ever-body that disagrees with them?? All game creators should just create a standard art style or way of telling a narrative that will please everybody??

creators should do whatever the hell they want and the public should respond however the hell they want and you should chill the hell out and not get mad about people getting mad about anime titties.

what is the worst case scenario in your head? a titty shortage in mainstream entertainment? having to go places other than PSN or Steam to find products that cater to your tastes? creators you like not having access to big money distribution channels and development resources? what an unthinkable nightmare!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:

creators should do whatever the hell they want and the public should respond however the hell they want and you should chill the hell out and not get mad about people getting mad about anime titties.

what is the worst case scenario in your head? a titty shortage in mainstream entertainment? having to go places other than PSN or Steam to find products that cater to your tastes? creators you like not having access to big money distribution channels and development resources? what an unthinkable nightmare!

dude I was just asking a simple question your the one that needs to calm down. I agree the public has a right to be offended by something however that minority should not effect everyone else. I don't care if the game has tits, ripping heads off or gay/bisexual relationships. I just draw a line when people want every game being made now to cater to everyone because it offends them. I don't even play call of duty anymore and do you want to know why?? It had to do with the terrorist mission in MW2 main story line and that deeply offended the hell out of me, so I've never touch the series since.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
that minority should not effect everyone else.

hmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I just draw a line when people want every game being made now to cater to everyone because it offends you.

what people are those?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Companies already do this, though. This is why Tomb Raider was turned into a shooter in the first place. Shooters are the big genre in western video game industry right now. More games and genres are being retooled to be shooters because that is what moves those millions of copies, at least in theory. Yes, quite a few don't reach that mark, but that is why games are constantly being retooled and they throw out elements they find prevents these from happening. One of these is female protagonists.

Well...if that's truly what you believe I guess that's at least a consistent position. If the industry can only afford to make CoD clone FPS games...well that's certainly a pretty grim situation but that doesn't mean it isn't the case. You do realize we're talking about Dragon's Crown though right? I mean, it's about as far from a generic FPS as you can get and its sure as heck not gonna sell 10 million copies. If it can exist then there is simply no justification for saying games with female protagonists can't either.

Quote:
Companies do not do this blind, they have focus groups and market testers doing research for them and this is hardly throwing darts at a wall and selecting random characteristics in a game. This is why Elizibeth is absent from the cover of Bioshock Infinite and we are treated to a generic shot of Booker, it was what resonated with the average buyer the most.

It pretty much is actually. Although at least a dart board would be random and have a chance of being right. Focus groups are one of the most biased, presumption reaffirming, flawed methods of "research" out there.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The video game industry is about the last one you can defend with "but what about the artistic integrity?! Don't bind the creator's ability to express the vision they want!"

Nope, not what I said at all.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
I just wanna take a moment here and thank all the whiners and complainers. Without your weird, pathological inability to tolerate people liking things you don't like this game simply would have pleased a small group of people and then passed into obscurity. But, thanks to the giant shit storm you created, it got a massive bump in popularity. And even though you tried your darnedest to make it bad publicity in regards to the game, it only resulted in a torrent of people rushing out and buying the product. A second game is by no means guaranteed of course. But it's looking a whole heck of a lot more plausible now. And it's all thanks to you guys. And for that I say, thank you. Thank you and flame on my crazy little friends~ >_>
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote
Its almost like you have no idea what this discussion is actually about.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
I just wanna take a moment here and thank all the whiners and complainers. Without your weird, pathological inability to tolerate people liking things you don't like this game simply would have pleased a small group of people and then passed into obscurity. But, thanks to the giant shit storm you created, it got a massive bump in popularity. And even though you tried your darnedest to make it bad publicity in regards to the game, it only resulted in a torrent of people rushing out and buying the product. A second game is by no means guaranteed of course. But it's looking a whole heck of a lot more plausible now. And it's all thanks to you guys. And for that I say, thank you. Thank you and flame on my crazy little friends~ >_>

Well played. Laughing

Although to clarify, I don't actually hate Dragon's Crown or anything like that and I'm by no means rooting for it to fail. In fact, I'm probably gonna buy it myself. It's fine to like something and still criticize it's problematic aspects. I wish more people understood that.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
There are two types of criticisms: one, intra-comparative, within the universe of the media and its objectives, where you can form some rational judgement, even if it is subjective; the other, extra-comparative, where judgement is based on something outside its universe, almost always based on personally normative (social or political) views.

This is not, "the gameplay sucks" or "there are gaps in the story and it makes no sense". All of the hate is coming from the later extra-comparative type. Now, it's not a problem when someone just states they don't like it and find it offensive. Fine. But they can't leave it at "don't like it, don't buy it". The issue or conflict comes from the attempted interference in trying to change other people based on personal norms--or heckling for social change.

Anyone is free to pick it up or ignore it. It's already a niche segment. No one is even bothering you and its purpose is purely for its own market. So why do people keep focusing on getting someone's goals changed, to shape an entire market segment towards their own social views?

I suppose most don't care, but in general, any change or outcome that is achieved purely from social crusading or engineering will always be disingenuous too (being forced to pander to the majority or some group; instead of having desires and intentions align with a market segment)

Any push is going to be met with resistance. Of course, one way to overcome it is with government force and way too many people often desire that. Yeah, I know some here would not go that far and I commend you at least for that restraint, but others here and elsewhere don't mind.

But since you're not going to change Kamitani and will meet resistance from supporters, why instead of trying to interfere, simply ignore and focus on your own segment either in creation or support of its market? One very recent example:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/boob-jam-lightning-returns-game-jam,review-1825.html

Quote:
But it's time to get real: Breasts are a lot more than just sexy; they can be a serious health risk. They can be a liability in athletics, or just a factor in whether a shirt fits or not. And, they can be really, really annoying.

It seems that games writer Jenn Frank was thinking of that latter reason when she tweeted earlier this week (July 30) that "I'm gonna make a game called "Final Reality," and it's gonna be about how I just accidentally smeared tons of deodorant all over my left [breast]."

< . . . >

The purpose of "Boob Jam," as the challenge is titled, is to have videogame developers and creators make a videogame that deals with an aspect of female breasts other than the fact that they're sexy and fun to look at.

Within the next 24 hours, Frank had received such an overwhelmingly positive reaction, including many suggestions for games or game features, that she and several friends realized there was something to the idea.

And in the few days since the game design "Boob Jam" first sprouted, the concept has been developing quickly.

There you go, an alternative in direct reaction to "teh boobs" you can support instead
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
Please explain (in 300 words or less) how "the men are just as bad as the women!"

When this:

Is the Dwarf's stun animation.

And this:

Is the Sorceress's.

Can you explain why the one image means something different to you than the other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The issue or conflict comes from the attempted interference in trying to change other people based on personal norms--or heckling for social change.

Anyone is free to pick it up or ignore it. It's already a niche segment. No one is even bothering you and its purpose is purely for its own market. So why do people keep focusing on getting someone's goals changed, to shape an entire market segment towards their own social views?

if someone feels that a product reinforces harmful attitudes that are already prevalent in society, why not try to weaken its place in the market? are you opposed to boycotts in general? if so, that's extra dumb, but at least it's consistently dumb i guess

configspace wrote:
I suppose most don't care, but in general, any change or outcome that is achieved purely from social crusading or engineering will always be disingenuous too (being forced to pander to the majority or some group; instead of having desires and intentions align with a market segment)

nobody is trying to stop George Kamitani from making or releasing Dragon's Crown. people might be trying to make the video game market less friendly to his product in the long run, but... so what? consumers are allowed to talk about products however they want. creators are not owed a market segment.

configspace wrote:
Any push is going to be met with resistance. Of course, one way to overcome it is with government force and way too many people often desire that. Yeah, I know some here would not go that far and I commend you at least for that restraint, but others here and elsewhere don't mind.

name two.

Quote:
But since you're not going to change Kamitani and will meet resistance from supporters, why instead of trying to interfere, simply ignore and focus on your own segment either in creation or support of its market?

what about doing both? why do you insist that people stop saying stuff you don't like about stuff you do like? maybe it is you who are actually the censorship nazi here!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:

Can you explain why the one image means something different to you than the other?

BEEP BOOP EXPLAIN THIS TO ME HU-MAN
spankminister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Actually objectifying yourself by cosplaying is a fairly large thing to write off as glossing over, especially when it is the main issue at focus in these topics. It'd be a bit hypocritical, at the very least.

So some people cosplay because they're excited about the characters in the shows they love. I think it's a little harsh to look at how the scales tip in terms of revealing male costumes vs. revealing female costumes in anime/video games and telling anyone who's uncomfortable about it, "Well then, don't cosplay, HYPOCRITE."

Quote:
Tomb Raider was also considered flop so it's not really an example of a female protagonist success, nor even if you consider it a success does it live up to other franchises in the same genre. One shooter which sells 3 million does not overshadow dozens of other shooters that sell over 10 million. 3.5 million is not a number to brag about in the very competitive genre that is the shooter. It is especially bad when you realize Tomb Raider is a long established franchise that has built up loyal fans over the years and even then Tomb Raider 2013 has failed to live up to past Tomb Raider sales.

For reference, Tomb Raider Legend was considered a commercial success at 4.5 million, but it also came out on Xbox 1+360, PS2, PS3, PC, DS, Gamecube, etc. It's certainly up from Tomb Raider Underworld's 2.5 mil. Second, it's a little disingenuous to call Tomb Raider part of the competitive "shooter" genre simply because of a third person camera and the fact that you can shoot. Uncharted, Splinter Cell, and Gears of War are not all in the same genre, and you know it. The idea that an action puzzle platformer has to directly compete for the exact same audience as Gears of War is ridiculous, as were the sales expectations of Square Enix in the first place.

Quote:
And what kind of game is Sims 2? Life simulation. These are not the games that always get brought into these discussions, it's always action based games aimed at men. People are presuming a majority of women would buy Dragon's Crown and other games aimed at men if only the women were not sexualized, but that is a baseless presumption with zero evidence. If we assert Sims 2 is what women like to play, and indeed a lot of marketing suggests it is aimed at women, why must other genres restrict or alter themselves to appeal to a demographic that has no guarantee a sizable amount of women want to play? Comparing The Sims to Dragon's Crown makes little sense in the grand scheme of things.

You assert that action games aimed at men sell well with men, and then that life simulation games aimed at women sell well with women, yet cannot fathom that an action game aimed at both men and women would sell well with both demographics. No, no genre has to "restrict or alter itself to appeal to a [new] demographic." But it does if you want to make more money by getting more sales. Otherwise, stop bringing up the fact that "money talks."

Marketing is not the art of getting someone to do something they were going to do anyway, it is encouraging people to do something they might not have done. You call it a "baseless presumption" that more women might buy action games if they alienated their demographic less. Is it not also a baseless presumption to think that men inherently want to play action games and women inherently want life simulations?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18