• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Anime Dub Opening Songs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
varmintx wrote:
That was not there before.

Yeah it was dude, I wrote that in before I reposted the article.

We're figuring out how better to repost this stuff - should be smoother sailing next time.
I don't see how I could have possibly have missed it as I made sure to check before my original comment, but you're the one that posted it, so I guess I have to be wrong.

I hate being wrong.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just to get it out of the way, I don't know how "Ronin Warriors" is more appealing to an American audience than "Samurai Troopers."

Haha yeah, I remember wondering about that ages ago lol.

That was a fun show though, I remember enjoying it back when it was on.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
nobahn wrote:
Maybe I'm confused; but I'm surprised that that this Rave Master monstrosity didn't get a dishonorable mention.

*hides her .mp3 player with that on it*
I can easily top that; for sheer cringe-worthiness check this out! Yeah, I'm a fan. Embarassed

Takkun4343 wrote:
Eff you, I love that song and all its cheesiness.
Now, now, no need to be crass. Razz
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Maybe I'm confused; but I'm surprised that that this Rave Master monstrosity didn't get a dishonorable mention.

What? This is actually a pretty good song. By Reel Big Fish! Laughing

I'm sure the Japanese ver. is better but, you gotta give these guys credit for doing it.
Not often do you have an actual band doing a cartoon intro, much less a dubbed anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

For "dub" songs which are not really dubbed but actually made from scratch, DiC actually put out a Sailor Moon CD with their own created music songs:

And I actually own that CD.
I had never watched Sailor Moon dubbed until the recent Viz release, but about 10 or 12 years ago I was buying all of the Sailor Moon music that I could find, even if it was not really Sailor Moon music.
I listened to the CD only one time. It was not bad, but not good enough to make me want to listen to it again, not when I had so much of the real thing to choose from.

That's only what we had in the Moonie MLs 90s

Heishi wrote:

Not often do you have an actual band doing a cartoon intro, much less a dubbed anime.

Bowling for Soup Twisted Evil

Also

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-09/pop-group-blush-performs-glitter-force-opening-theme-other-songs/.96286
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
What's the deal about Cartoon Shows in America and having the title song have to have the title sung in it? (Usually in copious amounts)

I also detest the English dubbed Dragon Ball songs. Not because the singing is bad (Vic can sing), but because the production on the music usually isn't remotely as good as the original. (Ouran is a perfect example of this. The singing was fine, it just wasn't mixed at all well to match the original. )

Probably the only ones I genuinely like are Suzuka and Blue Gender. Though that's pushing it. I still prefer the originals. (Music is a universal language, so why does it need to be done?)

Beck is the one exception though. The dubbed songs are just as good as the originals.

Also: Sandy Fox can sing, you are just crazy. But is also another good example of the production work and mixing not being up to par with the original. Causing it to sound worse by default. Which is almost always the case with dubbed songs.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I find the English version of Negima's opening and ending songs to be very well-done. Smile

MrBonk wrote:
(Music is a universal language, so why does it need to be done?)

I answer this question concerning dubbed songs with this question: Music is a universal language; why should they not be done?
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also think saying that the Sandy Fox Unyielding Wish is the worst dubbed anime theme EVER is seriously exaggerating. Saying it's worse than the One Piece rap is pretty ridiculous.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Carl Finch's early covers for FUNimation were great. Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Blue Gender, Case Closed, Fruits Basket, etc. When he stopped producing FUNimation's songs, the quality, while still sometimes solid, wasn't as consistently good. They were produced and mixed well too, and were usually better than the Japanese songs. It helps the music was redone to fit.

For original songs, 4Kids and Saban did some great, memorable songs for shows I didn't care about, and I still know all the words a decade+ later. THAT'S the mark of a good theme song.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
I'm not sure how Ouran's dub opening can be construed in any way as being one of "the very worst" when there's stuff like FUNi's original Dragon Ball GT opening out there too.

The qualities you list about the song hold true to the original Japanese version too -- being a bit monotonous -- so it's more a problem with the song than the dubbing of it.

Maybe just listening to it not ever seeing the show/being a fan of makes me hear it differently than others...

Step into the Grand Tour. Featuring Hank Hill.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Quote:
Just to get it out of the way, I don't know how "Ronin Warriors" is more appealing to an American audience than "Samurai Troopers."

Didn't that come on at the same time as "VR Troopers"? I'm guessing that might have had to do with it.

And I miss dubbed songs as I'm better at singing in English than I am in Japanese. I also liked Sandy Fox's version of the Rayearth theme.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Dessa wrote:
nobahn wrote:

*hides her .mp3 player with that on it*
I can easily top that; for sheer cringe-worthiness check this out! Yeah, I'm a fan. Embarassed

Takkun4343 wrote:
Eff you, I love that song and all its cheesiness.
Now, now, no need to be crass. Razz
Sorry, I agree Rave Master is just so lame it's funny. But, don't 'dis early Neil Diamond! I'll even "out" myself and say I love Barry Manilow too! If you want "cringe-worthy" try "Heart Light", bleugh...Anyway, I really don't see where Lynzee is coming from, those songs weren't all that bad.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Quote:

Because check your mind-ears people, "Ronin Warriors" sound way cooler than "Samurai Troopers". "Samurai Troopers" sounds like something your grandpa would've watched when he was a kid back when this new-fangled japanimation was all black and white on static-y tube televisions.

But yeah the show was awesome. I don't why but I keep remembering that one episode where the red guy's twin Swords of Inferno broke because they were TOO WEAK and he ended up replacing them with another dude's twin Swords of Ferber or Fervor, whatever they were called. In hindsight this was probably the first time in an anime that the phenomenon known as WEAPON UPGRADE left an impression on me such that I still remember it to this day.

The next "weapon moment" wouldn't happen until Gundam Wing where Wing Zero's Twin Buster Rifle totally disintegrated an entire space colony in one shot. I've seen a lot of Gundam but I don't think I'll ever like a Gundam weapon as much as that Twin Buster Rifle.

BTW was this article really from 2013? All the most recent posts seem to have come through the wormhole.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Anyway, I really don't see where Lynzee is coming from, those songs weren't all that bad.

And I miss dubbed songs as I'm better at singing in English than I am in Japanese. I also liked Sandy Fox's version of the Rayearth theme.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
Yeah, I also think saying that the Sandy Fox Unyielding Wish is the worst dubbed anime theme EVER is seriously exaggerating. Saying it's worse than the One Piece rap is pretty ridiculous.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
I actually think Sandy Fox's version of the ED is good, and I think her version of the first Rurouni Kenshin OP was really cute.

I stand by my opinion from three years ago that the song is one of the worst things to reverberate off my ear drum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GFYC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Digimon......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17