• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
RSJakeH wrote:

I guess I'm confused on how this would be considered 'false advertising' when the items from the Black Friday sale are no longer as discounted as they were last week. There really were just a few hours left to get the items at those prices. Yes, the items are still on sale, but not as low as last week. To some people that might not seem like a big deal, but to others that can be the difference between trying out a new series they fall in love with or not being able to get everything they want

Responding to the email... I've got no defence, we send a lot of emails. There really are a lot of items on sale and I know someone already pointed out that if you 'set an email aside' to come back to it later, you most likely never will. So we send multiple emails a day, reminding you of the Mega Deals and everything else going on. And some of the Mega Deals are 50% off, but some are discounted even lower than that. Remember, we're just getting started!

If the prices really did change, it wasn't by enough for me to even notice, nor have I noticed in past years if it worked the same way then. Regardless, I think you could have made it clearer in the mailings that you were talking about said change, instead of removing the items from the sale entirely. As a consumer, I appreciate having as much information available as possible before I pull the trigger. I know your jobs are to get us to buy as much as possible (lord knows it's worked on me for years), but I'd rather not feel like I did so only because I was pressured by an ill-defined deadline.

And maybe I'm a weird exception, but getting deluged by multiple emails about the same item on sale makes me less likely to buy it. I'll probably just wind up deleting the duplicates in annoyance and going about my day. If I get a message about something I want, I'll make a mental note to sit down and check it out later. I don't have short-term memory loss just yet. Razz
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Received from the comic shop last Wednesday and today (I forgot to post last week).

Manga: November 22nd
ACCA 13 Territory Inspection Department volume 1
Hana & Hina After School volume 3 (Final)
How to build a Dungeon Book of the Demon Lord volume 3
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon volume 8
Kiss & White Lily for My Dearest Darling volume 4
Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight volume 2
Spirits & Cat's Ears volume 4
There's A Demon Lord on the Floor volume 4
Novel:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes volume 5
Wolf & Parchment volume 1

Manga November 29th
A Centaurs Life volume 13
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts volume 5
Akashic Records of a Bastard Magic User volume 2
Anonymous Noise volume 5
Everyone's Getting Married volume 7
Idol Dreams volume 4
Plum Crazy Tales of a Tiger Striped Cat volume 3
QQ Queen's Quality volume 2
SP Baby volume 1
Sweet Blue Flowers volume 2
Sweetness & Lightning volume 9
Waiting for Spring volume 3
Yona of the Dawn volume 9
RSJakeH
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

If the prices really did change, it wasn't by enough for me to even notice, nor have I noticed in past years if it worked the same way then. Regardless, I think you could have made it clearer in the mailings that you were talking about said change, instead of removing the items from the sale entirely. As a consumer, I appreciate having as much information available as possible before I pull the trigger. I know your jobs are to get us to buy as much as possible (lord knows it's worked on me for years), but I'd rather not feel like I did so only because I was pressured by an ill-defined deadline.

And maybe I'm a weird exception, but getting deluged by multiple emails about the same item on sale makes me less likely to buy it. I'll probably just wind up deleting the duplicates in annoyance and going about my day. If I get a message about something I want, I'll make a mental note to sit down and check it out later. I don't have short-term memory loss just yet. Razz

I really do appreciate the feedback and I want to let you know that the next barage will be more clear about WHAT is about to end and just that 'something is ending, better hurry up.'

And I'm glad to hear our strategy to get you to buy as much as possible has worked Laughing

I wouldn't say you're a 'weird exception' to the emails, but we're trying to be as close to the front of your mind when you're ready to shop. If we don't send an email and you DID forget about something you wanted, that would be just as bad. However, the way we're currently working, if you receive too many about something you don't care about, it'd be better for you to delete those emails or set a filter than potentially miss out on something.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime:
Blood Lad Limited Edition Collection
Fairy Tail Season 1
Fairy Tail Season 2
Fairy Tail Season 3

Manga:
How to Build a Dungeon Vol. 3
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't pre-order games but I pre-ordered Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition from Amazon as I discovered that not only does it include the upcoming DLC but also all the extras from the "Digital Deluxe" edition of the base game making it a pretty good deal.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Some comic shop goodies!

Children of the Whales 1
Gangsta: Cursed 3
Jackass!
Magi 27
Spirit Circle 1
That Time I got reincarnated as a Slime 1

After being good and not starting anything new last time, here I start 4 new ones. Bad, zawa, bad! Well, one of them was a one time thing, so I can forgive that, I suppose. The comic shop is starting to get back up to speed, since they moved location (I'm accustomed to getting like, 15 books at once many times)
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Picked up the Miss Hokusai Collector's Edition from Anime Limited's 12 Days of Christmas sales.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered Keijo off Rightstuf.

I'm keeping tabs on Rightstuf's Annual Holiday Sale. Have a couple titles of interest, but waiting on more of the batches coming out over the next few weeks before I jump onto anything of interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
...although the current email does clarify the twist of the sale that Jake alluded to.
like the Black Friday week's sale, each previous week's sale items will change as the next week starts.

So maybe I will think about ordering those Nichijou manga bundles this weekend after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...although the current email does clarify the twist of the sale that Jake alluded to.
like the Black Friday week's sale, each previous week's sale items will change as the next week starts.

So maybe I will think about ordering those Nichijou manga bundles this weekend after all.

If that's the case, then I'm a bit disappointed. The only thing of interest for me in this week's batch was Hatenkou Yugi and I was hoping to hold off on snagging it to see if anything else of interest came up with the other batches so I could combine them and get free Standard Shipping.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Received this evening from Right Stuf!:

Initial D Legend 1 Awakening Bluray
Kizumonogatari part 3 Reiketsu Bluray
NEW GAME Season 1 Bluray
Your Name Bluray
So I'm a Spider, So What? novel volume 1
Ghost in the Shell README 1995-2017 (Hardcover)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I really hope that "items change every week" thing for the TRSI Holiday sale isn't true. As a Canadian, I only get free shipping when I spend $250. There is easily enough stuff I want right now for that, but that means I can't participate in any of the future weeks. In years past, I always waited until I knew all items were listed before ordering. That would really suck. Damn, why can't retailers just stick with a system that was working?

eta: yeah, I got the email that says the current round of deals ends tomorrow. Shit. This really sucks.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Items PRICES change... and if the black Friday week's changes are any indication, you might not even notice the change unless you're really looking. I really wouldn't bother rushing an order if it's one thing but in my case I might buy all of the Nichijou bundles and if all of them change price just by a couple dollars the difference would be significant enought to make a difference.

However, a word to our RS staff monitors, if I decide i don't want to buy it now (because I try not to buy with credit) and the sale price does worsen when I have the ready cash next week- it almost definitely means I won't bother at the higher price. I'm a patient bargain hunter, if I can't get the best price now, I'll wait for it to comes back later...like next year...or a Barnes and Noble sale.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Well, a small price change would be better than completely losing out on a sale price, but it's still annoying. And considering that the average discount for most anime titles is only about 50% as it is, charging more really makes me wonder why they'd bother having a holiday sale at all if all they're doing is basically offering the same discounts as a regular, non-holiday sale.

I feel a bit chintzy complaining about "only" getting 50% discounts but that's simply because I'm going by how these sales used to work.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
It does just seem to be the trend. Even Deep Discount is only topping out at 50%
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1308 of 1401