• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
wheal its more complicated than that. Lelouch hates him because of what happened to him and naunally. that and he kinda deserved it (he was evil) and it makes for a better show
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I mean come on, the guy ordered spoiler[the mass murder of all the residents of Shinjuku] and you're upset he was killed? Laughing
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
(Note: I'm starting off with some general thoughts about the first two episodes; I would have replied earlier, but I was locked up with obligations from school and home.)

Episode 1: Some posters have commented on the pacing of this episode; to me, it was stretching at times, but ultimately worked. (Truth be told, I actually do like it when a show jumps out of the gate to start.) The first use of Lelouch's Geass power still ranks as shocking, despite having seen the first episode before at club. Decent hook at the end; as look as anything I'm watching leaves me wanting to know more, I generally stick around with it.

Episode 2: That same, near-breakneck pace continues, but considering the events happening, it's understandable to me. For me, Lelouch's character starts revealing itself during spoiler[the mecha battle that he jumps into. Namely, it's before he runs into the Lancelot, where Lelouch simply waives off the fact that the people he was commanding are dying by calling them, more or less, incompetent]. Yet, despite this, it's piqued my interest as to the true nature behind his actions, and as to what role that freaky eye of his will play in the end.

As an aside, I'm left wondering whether the code names Lelouch gives spoiler[to the resistance members he took command of] have anything to do with the spaces on a chess board. Considering Lelouch's love of beating Britannians at chess, I think there may be a point there.

Episode 3: So, for the third episode of the series, it's one that's more in the "a day in the life of" vein. It played well against the high energy action sequences of the last two. There were two points of interest that I was left with at the conclusion of this episode: 1) spoiler[Jeremiah's plans with Clovis dead and Bartley apparently removed from his position, and 2) The resolution of Suzaku being charged with Clovis' death.] (And, for a change, I was surprised with that plot twist.) In addition, the revelation of the limit's of Lelouch's Geass power was interesting; down the line, it might be interesting to see if his earlier uses before this spoiler[(notably Kallen)] will prove poorly.

Misc.: I'm finding Liam O'Brien's take on Lloyd to be really good; every now and then, though, it reminds me of Fukuyama (of Girls Bravo infamy), which I don't know is a good or bad thing.

As far as Prince Clovis goes, Sam Riegel nailed it; it holds just the right combination of arrogance, ass, and slight cowardice. spoiler[It's too bad that his role is finished, though.]

JYB seems to be making slight improvements as Lelouch, but his Zero voice in the third episode... not different enough, I guess I would say. I'll give another episode or two before i make a firm judgement on it.

And Nunnally... it depends on how Rebecca Forstadt handles the role. I could tolerate her work as the lead Tachikoma on GitS: SAC, but if her voice starts straying towards Chizuko from Mahoromatic, I'm going to have to buy cotton for my bleeding ears.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Yeah, I mean come on, the guy ordered spoiler[the mass murder of all the residents of Shinjuku] and you're upset he was killed? Laughing

Um...yes? Laughing

I admitted he was a big douche-bag, (douche runs in this family) but that doesn't mean I'm happy that spoiler[our "good guy" blew his head off. What made it worse was the immaturity of the action. It wasn't a "crime of passion," which is more understandable, or even "self-defense" which is totally understandable. He first manipulated him and then coldly got as close as he could to his face before taking his life.]

Um, what? Yeah, go Lelouch? What's sad is that he reacted out of a drive to prove to himself that he could spoiler[murder someone he knew personally and was in a position of power] and keep his cool. That was one of his prime motivations. That's just so childish. I mean, he responds to his body's natural reaction the next day, (playing tango with the toilet, or sink as the case may be) as evidence that he isn't as tough as he needs to be.

My reaction would've been: "Oh, wow. I really killed someone yesterday. I need to think harder about these kinds of decisions in the future. I still don't know whether it was right or wrong, but all the same, I'm going to need to sort out my limits before I take on this entire war."

Maybe that's just me and I'm weird and could never be in the army. But Lelouch's reaction? "I shouldn't be emotional! What the hell? I'll need to toughen up if I'm going to control the terrorist faction like I manipulated that weasel the other day, heh."

Yeah, I just don't find that appealing. Personal tastes, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
Goal: to kill the most powerful man in the world by yourself.

Supples: Few resistance members and yourself.

If it were me and this is what I had I would need to get used to the fact that I was going to have to kill lots of people, some through indirect means and some with my own hands. Also if his head there has to be the whole "is this the right choice?" thing. One of the ways to make sure he will continue on is to spoiler[kill his own brother with his hands. ]"I cant turn back now not after what i have done." so then spoiler[killing cloves ] makes perfect sence.

Like in DeathNote. Light had to prove to himself he could do it so he had to kill some one.

For all of the above reasons and it also makes for a good story line Laughing thats why Lelouch did it.

JesuOtaku wrote:
our "good guy"

In this story in makes it apear that lelouch is the good guy, but you can just as easly root for the other side. (Also like DeachNote. Why did they put these 2 back to back?)[/spoiler]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

Misc.: I'm finding Liam O'Brien's take on Lloyd to be really good; every now and then, though, it reminds me of Fukuyama (of Girls Bravo infamy), which I don't know is a good or bad thing.

I've finally gotten around to watching the first three episodes dubbed. I have to agree on Lloyd, he's perfect.

The rest of the cast is at least passable. JYB does well enough as Lulu though I still don't think he was the best choice for the role. He is, however, significantly better than I thought he would be after seeing the preview. I don't really have much to say on the rest of the cast at the moment as they typically do the job pretty well.

Red Lotus wrote:

@Chaos42 I thought that spoiler[Milly was a lesbian? Did i just totally come up with that?] although almost everyone has a crush on Lelouch spoiler[there was that one w/ the cat and zero's hat and everyone wanted to kiss Lelouch or kallen]

Er, you came up with that first point on your own, though I think spoiler[you may be mixing her up with someone else.]

That said, I really don't think we should be mentioning major spoilers like the ones in Chaos42's post, even in tags. Really, those of us that have already seen the series shouldn't be talking about anything at all that hasn't happened yet, but especially those major things like what Chaos42 mentioned.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Red Lotus wrote:

In this story in makes it apear that lelouch is the good guy, but you can just as easly root for the other side. (Also like DeachNote. Why did they put these 2 back to back?)[/spoiler]

Really, I think CG shows that both Lelouch and Suzaku are in fact not-so-nice-people
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Red Lotus wrote:

Really, I think CG shows that both Lelouch and Suzaku are in fact not-so-nice-people

From what I have seen, so far, Suzaku has been following orders and protested when they weren't honorable or fair. Lelouch, on the other hand, has spoiler[killed his own brother.]
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
So I'm starting to grow on this show.
Thought episode 3 was pretty good and up to my tastes.

But I just know I'm gonna end up hating Lelouch just like Light from Deathnote [but i sooooo adore his name.Saying "Lelouch" is fun xD]I also liked the after-effect of when Lelouch realized what he's done.So he's not much of a tough-cookie to handle those things yet.

...and for some reason I like Suzaku >_>
spoiler[I heard ALOT of people end up hating him after he's done a stupid thing but....I'll save up my hate for him later as the series goes on.]

He's just...cute >w<
[ i need to stop fangirling]
braves

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Lelouch, on the other hand, has spoiler[killed his own brother.]

spoiler[Wasn't he his stepbrother? Either way, Lelouch is pretty ruthless.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
Red Lotus wrote:

From what I have seen, so far, Suzaku has been following orders and protested when they weren't honorable or fair. Lelouch, on the other hand, has spoiler[killed his own brother.]

Suzaku's hypocrisy is pointed out later.
Exaar

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Clovis was spoiler[Lelouche's half-brother, I believe.

The Emperor has sown his seed wide, so to speak. All of the Princes/Princesses in the show, including Lelouche and Nunally, were fathered by the Emperor, but born by many different women.

In fact, what makes Lelouche and Nunally (and later Cornelia and Euphemia) closer is that they have the same mother AND father, so are full siblings. They are half-siblings to most of the other royal children, though.]

Last edited by Exaar on Mon May 12, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
Red Lotus wrote:

Suzaku's hypocrisy is pointed out later.

Hmmm, looking forward to seeing that then.

Still, so far Suzaku's still has more points in the "nicer guy" column. But, keep in mind that I did change my mind about Byakuya of Bleach.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network fixed the video quality of their TV airings of Code Geass for Episode 3. As I mentioned previously, the video for Episodes 1 and 2 was animated incorrectly, jerking every second. Anyway I'm glad to see it got fixed, I suppose I was not the only one who noticed. This also hopefully means that the problem was with the TV broadcast and not the source itself, so hopefully the DVDs will come out correct.

The problem must have been more severe than I had acknowledged previously, since I noticed that Episode 3 was fixed right away, without having to wait for a panning sequence or anything. As soon as the flying-around-in-blue-crazy-space scene in the Intro started up I could tell that the video was fixed.

Anyways, as for my thoughts on the dub, after watching only Episode 1 I had thought that the dub was very well done in general, with only Lelouch being a horrible miscast, and maybe Crispin Freeman's character too. But after I saw Episode 2 I changed my mind. About half the characters in the dub seem pretty bad to me. Lloyd is ultra horrible too. I dunno if I would call it a miscast but they just didn't do him right. It's as much a problem with the dub writing/script/translation as it is with the English voice acting. He didn't come out with the right character personality, in my opinion. Oh well.

I'm perfectly fine with CC and Shirley, etc, though, even though some other viewers may not have liked them. I find it odd that they call Karen Statdfeld as "Kallen". It sounds dumb to me. At least in the dub they should have called her Karen.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
What?! You don't like Lloyd? I like Lloyd. He's funny.

I asked my friend Ayaka about it, and she said she hates his voice in Japanese, too, that he's supposed to sound like a completely barf-worthy foot-kisser in any language. So, I like Lloyd. And Crispin Freeman's playing his role well, I think.

Actually, Crispin Freeman, Laura Bailey, Mona Marshall, and MAAAAYBE Steve Blum are the only VAs I can think of that have consistently played their roles well in any show they were in regardless of the rest of the cast...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 60