• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Head Says UK Issues May Be Due to Illegal Releases

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
It's so hard to try to have an intelligent conversation when people keep going back with the "you're the spawn of the devil" anti-fansub speak.

Please read this post from a few weeks ago which explains where I am coming from:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=531776#531776

I know it's SO hard to believe I might be on the same side as you guys when it comes to wanting to see the industry succeed...

-Tofu
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
The ball is in the industry's court to either adapt and find a business model that negates this in some way (e.g. speed, speed, speed, speed!) or resign themselves to lower revenues for the rest of the industry's existence.

I await their response.

-Tofu
I'm afraid that response will be no anime industry existing outside of Japan then. That will be the fansubbers glorious victory. I can hear the bragging already.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
I enjoy video games greatly. When one isn't released in the US, I have to actually purchase it and import it. That way, the actual coders and developers for the game are receiving compensation for their work. There seems to be this idea in the anime fandom that if something isn't released in their native region, they have the RIGHT to go and download it for free and watch it, when this is simply untrue.

The same happens with video game releases. There's this idea that they have the RIGHT to download a series because its taking too long to be released. The vast majority of gamers simply import a game if they can't wait that long. Why do fansub leaches feel they are entitled to another person's work, for free?

There are ways to pirate games as well, but I'm not going to get into that whole ordeal. The fact is that it's not just fansub leeches that feel entitled to another person's work, but almost everybody that participates in piracy of music, movies, etc. In the end, television, radio, and shows on licensed websites is really the only thing you can watch for free while still supporting the people who created the work.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
The ball is in the industry's court to either adapt and find a business model that negates this in some way (e.g. speed, speed, speed, speed!) or resign themselves to lower revenues for the rest of the industry's existence.

I await their response.

-Tofu
I'm afraid that response will be no anime industry existing outside of Japan then. That will be the fansubbers glorious victory. I can hear the bragging already.

Do you honestly believe that fansubbers want to see the R1 industry collapse?

Honestly, answer that question.

-Tofu
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Alright guys, this isn't an ethics debate and it isn't even regarding the R1 industry in this case. Seeing every single talkback thread about any article that so much as mentions fansubs spiral down in to the exact same debate with the exact same people day after day is just getting ridiculous and is preventing any discussion relevant to the article from actually taking place. Would be nice if we didn't have to really start cracking down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, I agree. All it takes is one negative post to spiral the entire discussion down the tubes. Let's all do our best to be more careful in the future, guys.

-Tofu
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Let's look at that quote again.
Quote:
Perhaps if so many fans weren't getting their anime from illegal file sharing sites or unlicensed streaming sites, we might have expanded our UK catalogue more quickly. As it stands now, however, we have a better shot at growing our business with Lace than maintaining an overseas branch.

Gee. That sure sounds like an industry collapse, even if just a small one, a rumple.

Plus we're talking about UK. What's that? Region 3? Not Region 1. So your argument that the R1 industry is unaffected by your work is bull. Here's clear proof that the UK industry is hurt by fansubs. Yet you continue to ignore it. Your actions have global repercussions. Welcome to the world wide web.

Again, it doesn't matter what the fansubber's intention is. Look at the results of your actions. Oh, you had good intentions? Well we never went anywhere bad with good intentions. Carry on your distribution of licensed material and act like you're not harming the industry at all.

Though I need to confess something. Just tonight, I mentioned to a friend my hypocrisy in that I was tempted to download Hellsing Ultimate, fansub or raw, especially how that Geneon US is gone. I hardly torrent much, especially compared to friends or the average torrent user. Yet, I too am part of the problem. I too sometimes am, as it says right on the program, a leech.

Yes! The anime industry is one of the worst in the entertainment field with their prices for DVDs. Maybe if their prices were better, if the Japanese companies weren't so greedy and mistrusting of forien markets, they would be more mainstream and simply sell better. It would be nice if prices were slashed.

Yet torrenting and this form of piracy is not going to work. Things are going to get worse before they get better, if they get better. This digital piracy is very dangerous. Hell, most all of us have done it or still do it. Yet if you do, at the very least acknowledge the danger to the industry and the damage you risk doing.

Hmm.. then again.. dressing up as native Americans and dumping tea into Boston harbor inciting a war with the largest military on Earth didn't seem too smart or mature at the time either. So who knows where this will lead. Just know what you're starting and how big it is.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm looking at this from a very idealistic point of view, but I don't understand why some of the best fansubbers and people like the examples Tofu-sensei mentioned use their talents for industry. And I don't mean existing industry. Sure ADV is huge, but if groups of the most talented fansubbers banned together, with a few lawyers, a sizable IT, and people who are capable of dealing with financial work, as well as a bit of $ to start with... we can have the industry of anime DVDs like ADV, and a separate company/companies that purchases licenses from Japanese companies and releases speed shows...for a profit.

Just like the success of iTunes, given the right group of people and approach this could really take off, and companies would surely take notice...perhaps adding it to their way of doing things and hiring the people responsible.

For example, a friend of mine created and shared a progressive free database and internet tool software, and now him and his whole team have been employed at Mozilla, with their software being incorporated into Mozilla's ideas. Seriously, this current college generation (that is, everyone that's in college in the US right now) has a sample of some of the smartest people I've seen and been able to talk with. In every situation like the one the anime industry is in, there's always someone who can capitalize on the situation, and it definitely isn't the fansubbers in this case; they're not getting anything out of it and they should (legally) change that.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Here's clear proof that the UK industry is hurt by fansubs. Yet you continue to ignore it. Your actions have global repercussions.

I'm not going to argue over whether or not fansubs are hurting the industry. However, to say this is "clear proof" is logically false. This is clear proof that the UK industry is struggling. It fails to prove that: 1) A significant amount of people downloaded anime there 2) A significant number of those people would have bought that anime if they couldn't have bought it. I'm also not one of those people who demands absolute proof before admitting fansubs may cause any kind of problem. However once again, to claim that this is that "clear proof" is just flat out false.

The Xenos wrote:
Well.. looking at this poll, I think we see part of the problem.
animenewsnetwork.com/survey/147/result

A good chunk of 'fans' think "Fansubs are always okay".

True. However, When you stack that up compared to the people who think some variation of "fansubs aren't okay if you can buy it" I would say it measures to maybe 15-20% at best.

larinon wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Let me try and rephrase my point. Just because you like anime doesn't mean you should therefore be willing to pay to buy it in DVD form. You could argue that if you're unwilling to buy you should do without. I won't go into that debate. However, my point is that I don't see any reason why if you say you like anime that must mean you are willing to purchase anime through the current system. Again, I'll go back to my example about TV shows. Plenty of people enjoy watching shows but only a fraction would be willing to if they had to buy them on DVD. If you want something to have any kind of relatively mainstream audience, you can't expect that audience to be willing to purchase it via DVD.

I get what you're saying better now, sorry for the confusion.

As for anime being mainstream? Maybe only a handful of titles in the history of the R1 market could make that claim. The vast majority of what's released here depend solely on the DVD sales. I think it'd be nice if it were more mainstream, and that the licensing companies were more financially robust, but it doesn't look like we can count on that happening anytime soon. It's a tough nut to crack.

No problem. I agree that anime isn't truly mainstream. However, it is so much closer than the super niche import product it once was. At the point it is at, I think the anime market has become close enough to mainstream that it can no longer sustain itself on a DVD only method of distribution. It needs to begin moving towards methods of distribution that work for those more mainstream fans. Of course that is easier said than done. It is indeed a tough nut to crack.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

I await their response.

-Tofu

If the industry cannot adapt, it DESERVES to fail. It will fail.
And I honestly think that this will be catastrophic for anime fans around the world.

Now back on topic. I believe the main reason for the demise of the UK industry is simply the fact that they would not or could not offer what the mainstream anime fan needed. With prices much higher than R1 media, licensing and releases 1++ years after the R1 releases, and with absolutely no variety and bulk in their products, they are destined to fail.
geowrian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
I enjoy video games greatly. When one isn't released in the US, I have to actually purchase it and import it. That way, the actual coders and developers for the game are receiving compensation for their work. There seems to be this idea in the anime fandom that if something isn't released in their native region, they have the RIGHT to go and download it for free and watch it, when this is simply untrue.

The same happens with video game releases. There's this idea that they have the RIGHT to download a series because its taking too long to be released. The vast majority of gamers simply import a game if they can't wait that long. Why do fansub leaches feel they are entitled to another person's work, for free?

Actually, the vast majority of the time, it's ILLEGAL to import media like that. It would be a violation of export regulations for somebody to sell something to somebody from the US or UK if the item is only approved for sale in Japan. Those "made for sale in Japan ONLY" logos on DVDs and games isn't just for show.
shadowblack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
@geowrian
Thank you. It’s good to know that at least one person read my post.

The Xenos wrote:
What is boils down to is that such fan subs stop the industry from even existing.

The Xenos wrote:
Let's look at that quote again.
Quote:
Perhaps if so many fans weren't getting their anime from illegal file sharing sites or unlicensed streaming sites, we might have expanded our UK catalogue more quickly. As it stands now, however, we have a better shot at growing our business with Lace than maintaining an overseas branch.

Gee. That sure sounds like an industry collapse, even if just a small one, a rumple.

Plus we're talking about UK. What's that? Region 3? Not Region 1. So your argument that the R1 industry is unaffected by your work is bull. Here's clear proof that the UK industry is hurt by fansubs. Yet you continue to ignore it. Your actions have global repercussions. Welcome to the world wide web.

In the short time since registering I got really tired of people blaming fansubs withouit providing ANY real proof.

As I already explained in my previous post (which you probably didn’t even read) not all people who download fansubs are lost sales. Many people would not buy DVDs EVEN if fansubs did not exist. Yes, there are some people who do not buy DVDs because they watch fansubs instead. But are they the majority, or are they the minority? How much do they really hurt the industry? How much of a difference would it make if such people had bought the DVDs?

Quote:
Perhaps if so many fans

I ask again: How many are these “so many fans”? And what’s with the “perhaps”? Sounds to me like someone’s guessing because he doesn’t know for sure. Well, then, allow me to do the same:
“Perhaps if ADV UK had been more willing to take risks and had expanded their UK catalogue more quickly there wouldn’t be so many fans getting their anime from illegal file sharing sites or unlicensed streaming sites.”

The Xenos wrote:
The vast majority of translations and DVDs are good quality and deserve your money instead of just downloading an illegal copy of the media.

1) No one said otherwise
2) Newsflash: People pay for what THEY want. Just because something is of high quality and deserves my money doesn’t mean I’m going to buy it. Pepsi, Coca Cola, Sprite and 7up all deserve my money, but I don’t buy all of them…
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Plus we're talking about UK. What's that? Region 3? Not Region 1.

We're R2 in the UK (along with the rest of Europe, Japan, the Middle East and South Africa). DVD region map.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Maybe I'm looking at this from a very idealistic point of view, but I don't understand why some of the best fansubbers and people like the examples Tofu-sensei mentioned use their talents for industry. And I don't mean existing industry. Sure ADV is huge, but if groups of the most talented fansubbers banned together, with a few lawyers, a sizable IT, and people who are capable of dealing with financial work, as well as a bit of $ to start with... we can have the industry of anime DVDs like ADV, and a separate company/companies that purchases licenses from Japanese companies and releases speed shows...for a profit.

Just like the success of iTunes, given the right group of people and approach this could really take off, and companies would surely take notice...perhaps adding it to their way of doing things and hiring the people responsible.

Likely because you would also need someone to talk to Japanese companies who own the rights to the anime. I doubt those companies would be so open to your smaller companies and especially not open to your digital distribution ideas. I think they are as hesitant of digital distribution as many US producers and studios. I vaguely remember hearing that was the issue with attempts from ADV or Viz or Funimation to distribute stuff online. The Japanese companies who have the final say were not up for it. And the US companies don't want to cheese them off, so they have to play it safe and not experiment. The problem lays not in the US companies, dear Brutus, but in the Japanese ones.

Tofusensei wrote:
Why must you attack me so? We're in a conversation about the translation quality of fansubs and R1 subs that was completely removed from such ethical discussions (those have been done in other threads dozens of times over) and you have to start the anti-fansub speak again?

Please let's try to keep the focus on what's at hand.

Look at the news post you replied to. The issue at hand isn't abut the translation quality of fansubs and R1 subs. It is about the ethical discussions and namely the financial toll fansubs are taking on the actual industry. You are the one that skewed it into some childish debate that somehow your amateur subtitles are better than someone else's. You diverted it into 'my subs are better than your subs.' Pull out a ruler while you're at it.

ikillchicken wrote:
True. However, When you stack that up compared to the people who think some variation of "fansubs aren't okay if you can buy it" I would say it measures to maybe 15-20% at best.

True. Yet those 15 - 20 percent are distributing material even licensed in the US. They're continually seeding piracy for others, maybe even those who don't bother to respond and just leech in silence. Of course even those more supposedly more ethical that stop when something is licensed are seeing those people too. I know when I torrent something even unlicensed that seeds it to people who just don't care and pirate no matter what.

Plus maybe it's 25%. I wish those polls would include numbers instead of just bars.

ikillchicken wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Here's clear proof that the UK industry is hurt by fansubs. Yet you continue to ignore it. Your actions have global repercussions.

I'm not going to argue over whether or not fansubs are hurting the industry. However, to say this is "clear proof" is logically false. This is clear proof that the UK industry is struggling. It fails to prove that: 1) A significant amount of people downloaded anime there 2) A significant number of those people would have bought that anime if they couldn't have bought it. I'm also not one of those people who demands absolute proof before admitting fansubs may cause any kind of problem. However once again, to claim that this is that "clear proof" is just flat out false.

Really? The whole point of the news report and comment was over whether or not fansubs are hurting the industry. Clear proof that the UK industry is struggling should be a sign to support it. Plus I'm sick of fans in denial that their actions of distributing a product for free obviously hurts people trying to sell it. Basic economics. What more absolute proof do you need? Especially if you consider that there is no way to monitor all the torrent activity and show how it's affecting sales.

Dante80 wrote:
And I honestly think that this will be catastrophic for anime fans around the world.

Well, I hope you enjoy watching blank screens. Because there is no divide between the people who sell the UK or US DVDs and the people who make the anime. IThose UK companies are paying the Japanese ones. That's why it's so expensive. If the people who make the anime aren't getting paid, why would more anime be funded and made for who they see are selfish fans who download their work for free.
shadowblack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Likely because you would also need someone to talk to Japanese companies who own the rights to the anime. I doubt those companies would be so open to your smaller companies and especially not open to your digital distribution ideas. I think they are as hesitant of digital distribution as many US producers and studios. I vaguely remember hearing that was the issue with attempts from ADV or Viz or Funimation to distribute stuff online. The Japanese companies who have the final say were not up for it. And the US companies don't want to cheese them off, so they have to play it safe and not experiment. The problem lays not in the US companies, dear Brutus, but in the Japanese ones.

And whose fault is it that things are like that? Some would blame the Japanese for not wanting to take risks, others would blame the people negotiating with the Japanese for not being persuasive enough. Either way it is NOT the fansubbers’ fault. The ones to blame are people from the industry.

The Xenos wrote:
The issue at hand isn't abut the translation quality of fansubs and R1 subs. It is about the ethical discussions and namely the financial toll fansubs are taking on the actual industry.

The Xenos wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

Really? The whole point of the news report and comment was over whether or not fansubs are hurting the industry. Clear proof that the UK industry is struggling should be a sign to support it. Plus I'm sick of fans in denial that their actions of distributing a product for free obviously hurts people trying to sell it. Basic economics. What more absolute proof do you need? Especially if you consider that there is no way to monitor all the torrent activity and show how it's affecting sales.

Yes, the UK industry is struggling. But is it ONLY because of fansubs? The news report does nothing to prove that it is.
Quote:
John Ledford considers illegal file-sharing, streaming as possible causes

“Possible causes”. In other words illegal file-sharing and streaming may have something to do with it, or they may have absolutely NOTHING to do with it – there’s no way to tell. You just assume they are the problem, without knowing for sure. In fact, by reading the last few pages of this topic you can find more than enough reasons for the UK industry to fail even if fansubs did not exist...

Dante80 wrote:

I partially agree. If the current industry cannot (or will not) adapt it deserves to fail. But I prefer to be an optimist so I hope that after the current bosses in the industry are gone new ones will take their places – people who are more adaptive and who are willing to take more risks, thus avoiding the catastrophe you speak of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17