• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:09 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Quote:
To tell the truth, I was glad when I heard that the show was going to be capping off its run with a trilogy of films. Even a trio of two-hour movies will be easier to sit through than this letdown of a season.

Sure, but we both know they're gonna repurpose those films (complete with lots of new footage) to make another season of the TV anime. Your sentence isn't over yet, James.

Sad to say it but this feels EXTREMELY likely...film 1 theatrical release next year...as film 2 releases in 2026 we get the "TV edition" of film 1 and blu-rays to coincide with film 2's theatrical release.

The KNY cash cow is gonna get miled bone dry!
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:27 am Reply with quote
Have they confirmed the release schedule for these 3 films? Is it gonna be a 1 year gap between them? If that's the case, that would mean Demon Slayer will completely dominate the Best Movie Category in the Crunchyroll Awards for the next 3 years. I'm gonna have a big laugh about that one Laughing
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:45 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Have they confirmed the release schedule for these 3 films? Is it gonna be a 1 year gap between them? If that's the case, that would mean Demon Slayer will completely dominate the Best Movie Category in the Crunchyroll Awards for the next 3 years. I'm gonna have a big laugh about that one Laughing

Absolutely zero info yet but there is two ways it could roll

1) Release with 1 - 2 month increments between

Recent Example a) - Idolmaster Shiny Colors
Recent Example b) - Sailor Moon Cosmos
Recent Example c) - Haikara san ga tooru

2) Release with 1 year intervals

Based off how long Mugen Train stayed well up in the box office charts I think 1) is fairly unlikely. As we all know Mugen Train rolled as follows

- Theatrical Release
- Stays in cinemas for months
- Just before new TV season started recut in to TV season and ran in straight run of Mugen Train with new "filler" episode 1 followed by Entertainment district.

If I was Aniplex / UFO table I would to maximise profits air it on TV just as the next film is about to release - keeps the hype up.

Maybe wrong and they go with 1) but seems unlikely to me...
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else get tired of people
complaining about Demon Slayer's
anime adaptation having great animation?

Its like this whole stupid thing where because
Demon Slayer is run of the mill standard shonen
that they think the animation is "wasted" when
really it's just a popular series that made money.
The animators make great animation because
they are able to and because they want to.

Of course that's not to say there aren't issues of
overwork in animation. But I do think animators
actually like animating. They just like sleeping too!

So when Muzan walks to Kaguya and it is animated
with extra SAUCE I don't think it is a waste
I think the animators just wanted to flex.

If other series could animate as well or even get
an anime they would and they would add the sauce.

And sometimes you get a series where they were
trying to add the sauce but they tripped and it's
a mess. Or the main dish was overdone.
Is this analogy even making sense? Probably not.

But whatever I like Demon Slayer even if it's your
standard battle shonen because I like battle shonen
they have inspired me to make my own comics
and trying to draw them myself it's not easy.
So while others might think Demon Slayer
is carried by animation I think the manga was
already a solid story with great art.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:39 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:

Its like this whole stupid thing where because
Demon Slayer is run of the mill standard shonen
that they think the animation is "wasted" when
really it's just a popular series that made money.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gold-painted%20turd
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

Right. It's actually crap, but people are just too dumb to see it. Always a classy take.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:13 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:

While that sentiment does come up sometimes, I don't think the quality of the animation is necessarily what people are objecting to. Rather, it seems like a lot of people chafe against the intensely ostentatious direction. Every scene and sequence that isn't comedic relief is layered with soaring music, countless digital effects, and sweeping camera movements courtesy of the largely 3D environments. Sometimes, that works, and it's a big part of why the show gets its fans so hyped.

On the other hand, if you don't think the writing in a particularly scene or episode is very good, it feels like the show is screaming in your face that it's super big and important without backing that up with any substance. Much like the stretched-out pacing, it feels like the only creative motivation behind that presentation is that it needs to be BIG and EPIC, and eventually you accommodate to that volume, so it stops feeling special.

Also, personally, I think the series' visuals have gotten somewhat weaker as it's gone on. Stuff like the 3D gloop from Mugen Train and the Tree Dragon from Swordsmith Village stick out, but in general the compositing of 2D and 3D elements feels worse compared to the first season. It makes the seams much easier to see, and takes me out of the moment in a lot of the fights.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:02 am Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:

Yes for sure Demon Slayer has outstanding visuals that is a given fact.

The problem is that sometimes the "oooh ahhhh" pretty visuals are being inserted to showboat rather than enhance the story being told.

Cases in point from past 2 weeks
- Did we need 5 - 6 minutes of footage wasted on the Muzan slow walk ?
- Did we need the Hashira running forever ?

If you want to see outstanding visual storytelling that is done well - look at Sound Euphonium - I missed it first time but people have highlighted how there is so many deep layered imagery within Eupho 3 that ehances the story being told. Its not just "omg Muzan is slowly walking lets put some cool smoke effects for fun" or "omg lets do big bad kaboom as everyone will drool over it"
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:45 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

Right. It's actually crap, but people are just too dumb to see it. Always a classy take.

My view is that demon slayer is standard. Its good
but it doesn't exactly break the mold and maybe you
want a story to do a bit more and that's totally fine.

I just think it's also fine for stories to be simple and to
enjoy them for their simplicity.

That's not to say that any criticism of lacking complexity
is unfounded but when the reviewer goes on about Muzan
being a villain without much character it's like Muzan is a demon.
What more do you really need? Its fine to want more complex
villains but I don't think it is necessary for Muzan to be complex
to consider him as an effective final villain.
To me Muzan is the less is more type villain.

This is why I don't see the animated walk as being "too much"
because for the most part it has been Muzan's underlings
doing his dirty work but now the big boss himself is making
a move so of course even the simple act of just walking
ought to be a big deal.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:39 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
mrsticky005 wrote:

While that sentiment does come up sometimes, I don't think the quality of the animation is necessarily what people are objecting to. Rather, it seems like a lot of people chafe against the intensely ostentatious direction. Every scene and sequence that isn't comedic relief is layered with soaring music, countless digital effects, and sweeping camera movements courtesy of the largely 3D environments. Sometimes, that works, and it's a big part of why the show gets its fans so hyped.

On the other hand, if you don't think the writing in a particularly scene or episode is very good, it feels like the show is screaming in your face that it's super big and important without backing that up with any substance. Much like the stretched-out pacing, it feels like the only creative motivation behind that presentation is that it needs to be BIG and EPIC, and eventually you accommodate to that volume, so it stops feeling special.

Also, personally, I think the series' visuals have gotten somewhat weaker as it's gone on. Stuff like the 3D gloop from Mugen Train and the Tree Dragon from Swordsmith Village stick out, but in general the compositing of 2D and 3D elements feels worse compared to the first season. It makes the seams much easier to see, and takes me out of the moment in a lot of the fights.

I dunno I feel like over emphasizing the importance
of a moment is really just what battle shonen do.

I just think people are a bit more critical of
Demon Slayer for what are often standard
shonen tropes BECAUSE it's popular and
has great animation and maybe they think
some other manga is more deserving?

Or maybe they are in the "anime was so much better
back in my day" camp? Or they want anime to be
viewed as "deep" so they only like stuff like I dunno
Serial Experiments Lain or Ghost in the Shell which
are already well received (obviously for good
reason) but with Demon Slayer being simple
and I believe intentional so it may not be
"sophisticated" enough for some tastes.

Btw this isn't aimed at the review or reviewer.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:30 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

My view is that demon slayer is standard. Its good
but it doesn't exactly break the mold and maybe you
want a story to do a bit more and that's totally fine.

I just think it's also fine for stories to be simple and to
enjoy them for their simplicity.

That's not to say that any criticism of lacking complexity
is unfounded but when the reviewer goes on about Muzan
being a villain without much character it's like Muzan is a demon.
What more do you really need? Its fine to want more complex
villains but I don't think it is necessary for Muzan to be complex
to consider him as an effective final villain.
To me Muzan is the less is more type villain.

This is why I don't see the animated walk as being "too much"
because for the most part it has been Muzan's underlings
doing his dirty work but now the big boss himself is making
a move so of course even the simple act of just walking
ought to be a big deal.

I agree with you. I know the value of an emotional story that is simple and direct. I've always said DS is more like a fairy tale akin to the old Disney classics (which if people remember are not replete with a lot of deep character development - but are powerful stories that have stood the test of time). Nowadays people think that if you don't fill a character with complex motivations and dialogue, it isn't as good. That's a limited view of what is good and what is not. I love me some deep storytelling - in anime form I think Vinland Saga is a masterpiece. But that doesn't mean DS has to build Muzan up to anything more than he is meant to be to be excellent. Nobody cares how deep Malificent's character is in Sleeping Beauty. She represents an idea and that is the obstacle the hero must overcome. And she does so in a grandiose finale. That's DS. It was never meant to be complicated. But it does resonate because we instinctively know that Muzan is evil and what he represents is wrong. He has to be defeated because the very nature of humanity cannot exist in his philosophy. Stagnation and might makes right mentality are ideas that must be defeated.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:42 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
I agree with you. I know the value of an emotional story that is simple and direct. I've always said DS is more like a fairy tale akin to the old Disney classics (which if people remember are not replete with a lot of deep character development - but are powerful stories that have stood the test of time). Nowadays people think that if you don't fill a character with complex motivations and dialogue, it isn't as good. That's a limited view of what is good and what is not. I love me some deep storytelling - in anime form I think Vinland Saga is a masterpiece. But that doesn't mean DS has to build Muzan up to anything more than he is meant to be to be excellent. Nobody cares how deep Malificent's character is in Sleeping Beauty. She represents an idea and that is the obstacle the hero must overcome. And she does so in a grandiose finale. That's DS. It was never meant to be complicated. But it does resonate because we instinctively know that Muzan is evil and what he represents is wrong. He has to be defeated because the very nature of humanity cannot exist in his philosophy. Stagnation and might makes right mentality are ideas that must be defeated.

No personal offense meant, but excusing Demon Slayer's lack of depth by saying that it's "like a fairy tale" reads as very flat to me. I don't think that anyone who's criticized the series is expecting it to be a deep, complex psychological drama. No one went into this series looking for Dostoevsky. But even limiting one's view to the battle shonen genre, it comes across as incredibly threadbare. There's very little overarching plot, even the main characters get almost no real development, and there isn't even much in the way of general world-building. Suffice it to say that I've watched multiple other battle shonen series that I believe do much better in all of these areas than Demon Slayer does. I have no desire to write an exhaustive list or anything, but for some reason there's one series that keeps coming to mind for me as a comparison point...and it's Inuyasha of all things. Like Demon Slayer, Inuyasha tells a fairly straightforward story, and the two series have more than a few basic elements in common. (Think about it: a small group of companions, one or two of whom exhibit demonic powers, band together to fight demons and collect macguffins to prevent an all-powerful demon from enacting some master plan.) But something that Inuyasha does so much better is how it handles its main villain, Naraku. He also has a sense of mystery to him, but he gets plenty of facetime with the protagonists, and actively taunts them over their perceived lack of power. He's evil and he knows it, and he does a great job of chewing the scenery, which makes him a villain that the viewer/reader loves to hate. Now counter that with Muzan, whom up until that walk scene was probably in the single digits of total screentime throughout the entire series, and who's pretty much a complete unknown. How can you properly hate someone who's barely in the picture?

Actually I'm glad you brought up Disney movies, because I think there's an important contrast to be made with them. As you said, fairy tales have effectively told simple good-vs-evil stories for centuries, and that works great in the short story format they generally use. And as Disney showed so many times, you can also do just fine with that level of simplicity over the length of a single family movie. But if you're telling a story that's going to be stretched out over dozens of chapters/episodes, in my opinion there needs to be some more meat on those bones. As James has repeatedly noted, Demon Slayer's anime adaptation has taken whatever issues may have existed in the original manga and greatly exacerbated with how it's handled the series' pacing and season lengths. At some point it just makes for a frustrating viewing experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14