• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossGough

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys!

Pretty new to this site, so bear with me! Smile

NAME: Ross

HOME: Inverness in the Highlands of Scotland. Although I'll be living in Dundee when the Summer is over.
BLOOD: A+

I loved anime from a young age, but only typically because I watched the likes of Dragonball and Pokemon not understanding why it was different from the other rubbish on TV. I carried on enjoying whatever I came across in the way of games and animation while my friends at the time took nothing to do with it, so this was really only an interest of my own and I found it a shame to be experiencing such things without others. I only really began reading manga when I got bored of watching Naruto here in the UK, and wanted to be as far in to the story as was possible, also opening me up to other things I would come across.

Just for the sake of having read it up-to-date, I would say my favourite manga is Naruto, but I don't regard myself as a massive manga reader really, so I don't know if that would be classed as cliche or whatever. As for anime though, I originally fell in love with the original Full Metal Alchemist series, which I would regard as my favourite up until a point. I really love the Shinkai films, as well as Ghibli work. Howl's Moving Castle was, and may still be, the film that comes to mind if someone was to ask me what my favourite film would be.

I recently finished watching Clannad and Clannad After Story, and I really did not think animation could ever make me feel the way these series did. I'm a massive fan of anime that revolves around relationships and tragedy (before Clannad I watched Ga-Rei Zero and loved it) but Clannad After Story was a whole new level, and I felt so sad for a good few days after it. So perhaps I would class After Story as my favourite anime until something else was to come along.

Right now I have just finished my third year of Computer Games Applications Development at the University of Abertay, Dundee, and will be going in to my fourth after the Summer - provided I passed everything which I believe this year is a long shot due to my lack of interest. I'm an avid gamer none-the-less, and spend the rest of my time watching through various series of anime.

Essentially, I've been looking, as of late, for people to chat to, and share experiences with regarding my interests. As well as some people who may guide me and keep me right on here! So here's hoping I'll find that on these forums Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
Hi Ross! I am from Edinburgh, so it's nice to see another Scot on here. I am much more of a manga reader than anime watcher, but I enjoy both. Welcome to the forums Smile
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone! New poster (only posted in like 2 threads) but longtime anime lover. Yes I started watching DBZ and Gundam Wing and had no idea that those were anime. Inuyasha was the first anime I saw that I knew was anime. I didn't get really into anime until the beginning of my senior year in high school. Since then, I've seen a ton of anime. My anime list is probably half of what I've actually seen.

I hope I can have a good time in this community, and make some friendships through anime. I love anime, but sadly none of my friends are into it, leaving me with no one to really talk to. So I hope to talk to all of you about something that we all love!

Sex: Male

Blood Type: I'm a little concerned that a lot pf people here know this and I don't. lol. No idea.

Marital Status: Well, I am single in the government's eyes, but I have a longtime girlfriend.

Ethnicity: I'm Hispanic, more specifically my family came from Cuba, which mostly then came from Spain.

Religion: Raised Catholic, but very open minded to all and struggle with my faith.

Pets: No pets, I have birds in cages...but come on. I want a dog one day, specifically something ugly like a bulldog...he will be my best friend.

Drink/Smoke: I drink when there is a party, but I have never ben intoxicated, so I guess I am controlled? I smoke casually as well, and being Cuban... I enjoy my cigars.

Likes: Hmmm.. wow, I have a lot of likes really. Sports(Baseball, Basketball, American Football, Soccer or futbol, college football), movies, obviously anime lol, manga, cars, musicals.

Dislikes: They are all sports teams and I have a lot of them lol.

Favorite anime: This is tough, I would probably say Toradora, TTGL, Gundam (practically any), Cross game, Major.

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Umm.. I like them, but I don't really know any good ones, out of the ones I've read, I would have to say Mirai Nikki.

Favorite Books:This one is tough, probably Shadows of the Wind. Currently reading the Three Musketeers.

Favorite game: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask, Mass Effect 1&2.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Not a big fan of tv shows in America, but I have too many favorite movies to count, but the one tat stands above the rest has to be Star Wars.

Favorite Drink: Not really picky, I'll drink anything, lol.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Chocolate milk has to be the greatest thing ever.

Favorite Foods: Love Hibachi style food, especially from Kobe...delicious.

Favorite Sites: Gfaqs, IGN, multiple sports websites, Japanator.

Favorite Sport (to watch): I named all ofthese, but I'll add boxing, love watching boxing.

Favorite Sport (to play): I used to play baseball in highschool, I tore a ligament in my shoulder and had surgery. Sadly, the surgery wasn't a success, so I now have irreparable damage done to my shoulder. So I can't play baseball anymore, but I do coach. I played Basketball in middle school, and occasionally play with my friends.

Favorite Music: Metal..heavy metal.

Job: I was a usd car dealer, but am now looking for another job Sad

Hobbies: Anime, video games, watching sports, I used to act in high school and I miss it dearly.

Fun facts about me:
I'm always injured (just had an MRI done on my wrist, speculated to be broken).
Stupid shoulder surgery made me fat, coupled with my shoulder not being able to support itself for more than 10 minutes..this makes working out difficult..I used to love this.
I'm a sarcastic funny guy, I don't mean to be an overtly mean person, but sometimes I may come across as such..for that I'm sorry.
I just became an uncle! My nephew was born last week.

Favorite Quotes: I have a lot pf favorites, but I am lazy(fun fact!) and don't feel like looking them up, lol.
tate_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Hello, all! My name is Tate! (No worries, it’s a nickname! I’ve had since I was born.) I recently picked back up on my anime obsession. With classes out in April, & the time off I had from work, I started watching it again. If I’m not mistaken, my first anime was Samurai X. I really hope that I can get some great suggestions & possibly make new friends! 

Sex: Female

Blood Type: I have no idea…I really should know these things.

Ethnicity: Caucasian & 1/8 Cherokee

Religion: Pentecostle

Pets: 4 cats, 1 dog

Drink/Smoke: Neither

Likes: The outdoors, hiking, biking, etc. Anime, food (I could watch the food network all day), meeting new people, (even though I’m a semi-introvert), people-watching, sketching, writing, blogging, reading, etc.

Dislikes: I’m not too fond of people thinking they can just say ‘F*ck it, I do what I want’, simply because most of the people I know that are like that have no regard or respect towards any other person, which I think is quite sad, I don’t like abbreviated texts, but what I dislike most is when people show no respect towards others & also people who don’t do what they say. [keep promises, etc.]

Favorite anime: Oh gosh. Um, probably my top 4 would be: Samurai X, Trinity Blood, Nabari no Ou,& Fruit Basket!

Favorite Manga (Light novels): I actually wasn’t really into Manga at first, I suppose because I didn’t really have the patience to sit down & read it, whereas with an anime you can quickly get through several chapters & what have you. But I’ve recently read: Shinobi Life, Barajou no Kiss, Vampire Knight, etc.

Favorite Books: The Rite, Heaven Is For Real, Pride & Prejudice, I know, I know, not a lot of books, but I promise I’ve read a lot of good books, it just so happens it’s extremely late & after working all day, I can’t think too clearly! Haha.

Favorite game: Devil May Cry 4. [haha]

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Dexter, Law & Order, RHONJ, The Soup, Taboo, Anything on the Discovery, History, Food or Animal Channel(s).

Favorite Drink: I don’t really drink.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Green tea!

Favorite Foods: Anything with cheese really. Pasta, pizza, chicken & dumplings, gyozo, honey chicken w/ lo Mein noodles. YUM!

Favorite Sites: Tumblr, facebook, hulu, omegle, whatever I find.

Favorite Sport (to watch): Soccer, Rugby

Favorite Sport (to play): Rugby, soccer

Favorite Music: Honestly, I listen to everything. It’s whatever mood I’m in, I listen to.

Job: Brand rep at a clothing store!

Hobbies: All of those were pretty much listed under my likes!
Fun facts about me:
My nickname is Tate, but I didn’t find that out until I was 10 yrs. old because I had always been called that.
I have a floating rib.
I almost died. [Not a very fun fact, but interesting I suppose, haha.]
I make extremely weird noises.
I have 5 piercings [two of which are currently being stretched] & 3 tattoos.

Photo:
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay I am finally getting around to introducing myself, I am going to keep it simple to not bore everyone.

Name: Lil Red is good
Sex: Female
Blood type: A + I've donated blood a few times that's how I found out.
Martial Status: Single technically
Ethnicity: Asian
Religion: none, but Grandparents were buddhist
Pets: none
Drink/Smoke: yes to both, caffeine, alcohol and nicotine go hand it hand.
Dislikes: overly opinionated or judgmental, racist individuals.
Favorite TV shows: Don't watch too much TV to have one.
Favorite Drink: Cape Cod (cranberry juice & vodka)
Non Alcoholic Drink: Green tea
Favorite Sport: Volleyball or surfing
Favorite site: ANN of course
Favorite Music: instrumental - Kitaro, I listen to all kinds.
Favorite Anime: I like all genre too many faves to list just one.
Favorite Manga: again too many faves to just list one.
Favorite Game: don't play very well not good hand, eye coordination
Favorite foods: Japanese and Mexican, love red meat.
Job: Customer Service/Call Center
Hobbies: Baking, reading, watching anime, jogging, surfing
Fun Facts about me: I collect weapons, own a gun 9mm I call it my
James Bond special (his weapon of choice) and throwing blades, I've gone wild boar hunting (boar meat is actually pretty tasty) have several tattoos and couple of body piercings.
Favorite Quote: Do on to others as you want others to do to you. (treat other people how you would like to be treated)

Hope to see you in the forums and be able to chat with everyone.
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Woo! More new people, now I'm not the only one! Even though I don't really post that much, I just read what other people have to say, lol. Which is funny, because I'm actually really social in real life, oh well.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Hi Ross! I am from Edinburgh, so it's nice to see another Scot on here. I am much more of a manga reader than anime watcher, but I enjoy both. Welcome to the forums Smile

I'm not Scottish, but did my undergrad in Scotland!
I'm missing it a bit, except for glaswegian accent Very Happy
Parvis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Name: Alex

Blood Type: A - i think!

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Religion: Non-religious

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: Drink, no smoke

Dislikes: Watching football

Favorite anime: Gurren Laggan

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Evangelion - (Shinji project)

Favorite game: Starcraft 2, Heroes of Newerth, Call of duty 4

A bit about me - I'm currently living inNottingham, UK, I love anime and Manga, and currently play in an anime themed J-rock/pop/shred band called 'Area 11' ( get the reference!). Check it out if your interested -

www.area-11.co.uk

Apart from that I hope to make lots of friends here and get lots of recommendations for more shows for me to watch and manga for me to read!
tate_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Parvis wrote:
Name: Alex

Blood Type: A - i think!

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Religion: Non-religious

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: Drink, no smoke

Dislikes: Watching football

Favorite anime: Gurren Laggan

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Evangelion - (Shinji project)

Favorite game: Starcraft 2, Heroes of Newerth, Call of duty 4

A bit about me - I'm currently living inNottingham, UK, I love anime and Manga, and currently play in an anime themed J-rock/pop/shred band called 'Area 11' ( get the reference!). Check it out if your interested -

www.area-11.co.uk

Apart from that I hope to make lots of friends here and get lots of recommendations for more shows for me to watch and manga for me to read!

I checked out your bands site! It's pretty awesome & I love the anime theme!
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ok Alex, gotta admit your bad is good. Heaven-piercing Giga Drill is a pretty sweet song man. Keep on working hard!
Parvis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
thanks guys, ill make a thread in the music section when the next release is up!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Is it me, or are a lot of UK fans based in Nottingham? It just seems like a lot of locations say Nottingham. I understand it's the 7th largest city in the UK (thanks Wikipedia!), but London is the biggest and I don't see many Londoners.

As an aside, I think people from London should be called Londoneires (or Londoneres, not sure), because Londoners sounds dumb.

Lun-duh-nears
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Not really. What I find weird is the absence of online fans from Manchester and Liverpool. I live in Swindon, and I have seen only one from here so far.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
Hey, are people from Swindon called

*puts on sunglasses*

Swindlors?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
You can call us anything babe. Cool

Just like I call people from Virginia "Virgins".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 128 of 233