• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Scum's Wish

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A character like Akane messes with my head. One of the first thoughts I have is that this story is only so much fun because of her.

She is definitely the nucleus of the series. It would not exist without her.

Though I do not think she is entirely responsible for Hanabi's unrequited love....simply because Kanai does not see Hanabi as more than his little sister and feelings like that normally cannot change.

Yeah, I'm absolutely *not* a fan of the AkanexMugi pairing. I was very disappointed in Mugi for the latest events.....although certainly not that surprised. I don't like the whole "I want to change this person!!" relationship dynamic if it is one-sided. It needs to be two-sided, so both people can give something back to one another. Akane only takes. She doesn't give anything.....except her body and that doesn't count. Confused
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
Excellent review of episode 8! Having read the manga, I was looking forward to this point in the anime. It was just as brutal as I anticipated. Mugi's succumbing to Akane's lies, when I'm sure Akane was well aware of the growing relationship between Hanabi and Mugi, was a massive failure as a person for him, but it was entirely predictable. After all, he knew going in what kind of woman he was dealing with. One wonders why he ever thought she would turn him down?
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
You know, the truly healthy solution for Hanabi (and for Mugi as well, most likely) wouldn't be to just switch from loving sensei to loving Mugi but to try to start loving/accepting herself first instead...that would be the natural first step in avoiding to become Akane v.2.0 (that being said, Akane is still the most...entertaining character in this show by far.).
Lifesongsoa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
The hate for Mugi seems a bit weird to me. He was planning to get turned down. He expected to get up and walk away from Akane. It was his own feelings he didn't understand. That is consistent with his portrayal up till now. Sure he knew how Akane is, but he is blind to basically everything else and realizing all too late that she was going to take advantage of him caused his emotions to explode. He wasn't reasoning his way out of that situation. A failure in reasoning while he was much more calm, cool and collected is what got him into it. All he had left to rely on in that situation was impulse. I don't feel like Akane deserves all the blame for what happened, but she absolutely took advantage of him.

Really the whole confession idea was terrible from conception. I'd expect Hanabi would have had a similar explosion if Narumi had made moves on her.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(pretty easy to do given that he's closer to a sheepdog in demeanor than a man)

This comments irks me a bit. Is he a man or isn't he?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Gina Szanboti: No, I don't think that observation of Akane is quite right. Again, she was pretty explicit - and I have no reason to doubt her - that the enjoyment of having a man choose her over another female is seeing the pain this causes the other female. THAT'S the tasty treat for her.

What Akane explicitly finds enjoyable is stated outright in the manga, so I'm guessing we'll see it next episode or the one after that. Suffice to say however, it's not about stealing from other ladies or one-up-man-ship (or one-up-woman-ship, if we're splitting hairs). It's actually way simpler: Akane just spoiler[enjoys making and watching people--regardless of gender--suffer].

EDIT: Ack, meant to add this before I closed my tab; I do think the way the show comments on Akane's actions within the workings of society as a whole is interesting, but by and large, she is the least-developed "main" character; even when you get a chance to see through her worldview, there's a sense that she's keeping even her own thoughts, and consequently the audience, at bay. So it's hard to say whether the simplicity of her motivations is down to her femme-fatale mystique or a lack of serious introspection.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Was anyone else as distracted by Ecchan's idiotic Scum's Wish hat as I was? Not only did she look incredibly dorky in that style of hat, but the product placement made no sense at all and just stuck out like a sore thumb.

I kinda liked Sheepdog-kun though.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Actually I'm with Jacob. That scene just made me want to get one of those hats. Someone get on that.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Quote:

That would appear to be debatable...

On a more serious note, while he is definitely male, Ecchan has never looked at him as A MAN. He is just her cousin. She doesn't think of him with sexuality attached at all.

As for the cousins thing, that isn't really that big of a deal. As a matter of fact, I'd say it is more likely a cultural problem on the REVIEWER'S end as opposed to a cultural problem on the AUTHOR'S end. The fact is that the majority of the countries in the world allow first cousins to marry. Approximately 10% of marriages worldwide are between individuals who are second cousins or closer (source). There are only a few countries worldwide that outright BAN first cousins marrying, and guess what THE US IS NOT ONE OF THEM! In 18 US States, it is legal to marry your first cousin with NO provisions! In some others there are provisions like genetic counselling or advanced age or proof of infertility. In 41 states, cohabitation or sexual relations between first cousins are not restricted by law.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure it matters much how common marriage between first cousins is; what's advisable or good to do isn't decided by majority vote. Of more immediate relevance is a clear look at the risks, and having a conversation about whether they're substantial enough to warrant cultural taboo or not:

NYT wrote:
In the general population, the risk that a child will be born with a serious problem like spina bifida or cystic fibrosis is 3 percent to 4 percent; to that background risk, first cousins must add another 1.7 to 2.8 percentage points, the report said.

Although the increase represents a near doubling of the risk, the result is still not considered large enough to discourage cousins from having children, said Dr. Arno Motulsky, a professor emeritus of medicine and genome sciences at the University of Washington, and the senior author of the report.

Continue reading the main story
''In terms of general risks in life it's not very high,'' Dr. Motulsky said. Even at its worst, 7 percent, he said, ''93 percent of the time, nothing is going to happen.''
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Northlander wrote:
Quote:

That would appear to be debatable...

On a more serious note, while he is definitely male, Ecchan has never looked at him as A MAN. He is just her cousin. She doesn't think of him with sexuality attached at all.

Why would that be debatable? (I know you're being at least partially facetious, but I'd still like to hear what your thoughts behind that comment is.) And why would Ecchan's lack of desire over him disqualify him from being a man (I.E. an adult male?)

I'd like to make it clear that I haven't watched Scum's Wish, nor do I think I ever will. Mostly because it's not really my kind of show, hence why I'm reading episode reviews about it to sate whatever curiosity I have about it. (And I generally like Jacob's writing style.) The reason I was somewhat irked is because of how the comment was presented in the review. It has nothing to do with the show itself. Your "that would be debatable" comment is more or less the same thing.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm not sure it matters much how common marriage between first cousins is; what's advisable or good to do isn't decided by majority vote. Of more immediate relevance is a clear look at the risks, and having a conversation about whether they're substantial enough to warrant cultural taboo or not:

NYT wrote:
...''In terms of general risks in life it's not very high,'' Dr. Motulsky said. Even at its worst, 7 percent, he said, ''93 percent of the time, nothing is going to happen.''
While technically correct that quote maybe misinterpreted by some people as simply there's very little chance of anything negative happening to offspring. If you belong to a family or a specific group where cousin marriage is a normal occurrence those statistics do not stay constant. Do you belong to a group that has a higher predisposition to certain genetic disorders? Do you have a family history of certain diseases? Then the risks can increase. The article does point out that its good to get some genetic counseling, but I'm not sure it stresses that enough as it seems more interested in sensationalizing that people who were perfectly healthy were denied their chance at having children by misinformed health professionals.

On a personal note when I was in high school (many, many years ago) I babysat for a married couple that were first cousins. They had 3 children. One was perfectly healthy the other two were special needs children with varying issues. Obviously it wasn't as simple as 93-97% of the time nothing happens and the issue can be a little more complicated.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I agree; emphasizing individual variation in the risk is important. It is maybe not clear if widely varying risk from incest between first cousins should justify a general taboo, though, which was the original focus of discussion here.

For what it's worth, I'm repulsed by the thought; I can't think of my cousins sexually. Emotionally, I've pretty completely absorbed my nation's taboo against even weakly incestuous relations. But what little I've seen of the relevant research literature leads me to believe that the taboo is not evidentially well-founded.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I had some pretty hot cousins/2nd cousins growing up so I can't proudly claim to never have thought about cousins in a sexual way.

And no, I don't live in the Ozarks, thank you very much.

Anyway, I continue to be impressed by how Hanabi is handling things. As I wrote in the series discussion thread, Hanabi is clearly and understandably bummed by her expected rejection from Onii-chan but she is being far from silly about it. Ditto with the Mugi sitch. She clearly values her friendship with Ecchan strongly enough to fight for it. I'm not as down on Ecchan as I once was, although I still find her sexual aggression towards Hanabi off-putting, as well as her willingness to exploit Hanabi's desire for friendship with her. However, at this juncture, I am willing to cut her a little bit of slack in that I believe that behaviour was motivated more by desperation and a lack of maturity as opposed to true scum-baggery.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
However, at this juncture, I am willing to cut her a little bit of slack in that I believe that behaviour was motivated more by desperation and a lack of maturity as opposed to true scum-baggery.

We must remember that these are not real people, but the writer's constructs. Ecchan is two distinct people that would not exist in real life: a sexual predator (except for their final kiss, I cannot think of a sexual exchange between the two that was not predatory) and a smitten damsel (I thought keeping the candy wrapper was a bit much, but it made the writer's point). On the sexual side, she is the most despicable character of the series, on the damsel side, she is one of the most pitiable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 21