• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up Hunter x Hunter. It was unbelievably great but now I'm filed in with the rest who are waiting for anything new from Togashi.

Go Dark Continent.
opconvoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading various Manga,

Drrr!!
just because i love the anime so reading the Manga would be nice.

I would love to finish reading the Gundam 00 manga series, but i can't find the rest of the manga.

I'm reading Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin, just because its so amazing. And i'm a huge gundam fan.

And lastly i'm reading Rurouni Kenshin, i'm mostly reading it because i never was able to finish the show, so i'm reading the manga, but i don't want to watch the show, i just thought it would be fun doing it like that.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
Caught up to the latest volume of Gin no Saji and finally read vol.12 of Ao no Exorcist. GinSaji is a great series. Love it!! Huge twist in AoEx. spoiler[SHIMAAAAAAAAAAA~~!!!!!] Totally did not see that coming at all.
Jomei Jostar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy and am currently reading these manga:

One Piece:
A great story, great art, and also, I love how each character is unique in their own right.

Naruto:
Naruto used to be my 2nd favorite manga, when I was reading the first part. Although I enjoyed the timeskip, I have a feeling that the story is going a bit downhill.

Berserk:
I love this manga (although I just started it a few weeks ago), and I'm already around chapter 200. (This is because Berserk is one of the most addicting manga you will ever pick up. If you haven't read it and you don't believe me... trust me you won't regret it!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:
Although the first two arcs: Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency were never translated to English in the manga. However, in 2012, they started to air the anime, which started off with (and finished) the first and second arcs. By the way: It may be true that you can read a translation of the 1st and 2nd arcs online, although that's pretty much the only place you can read it in English. My personal recommendation be (If you don't know Japanese) to watch the anime up until the 2nd arc ends, and if the 3rd arc hasn't aired yet on the anime, then just continue where you left off in the manga.

YuYu Hakusho:
Man, it's been a few years since I finished this series, but oh crap I had such a good time! I really recommend this Manga/Anime if you are interested in cool fight scenes, awesome characters, and of course, a good story!

Death Note:
Yes, I'm sure you've all heard of this one. Well, that wouldn't surprise me, because this series (although quite short) is so intense and exciting that your hands will be glued to this one!

Fairy Tail:
Now, I'm sure all the Fairy Tail fans have heard of the anime being on hiatus for quite a while. Fortunately, the manga is still active and is as good as ever! I recommend this Anime/Manga to anyone who likes anime or manga, I mean, what's not to like about Fairy Tail? If you don't know this series, I know you think the name is pathetic, but come on, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Anyways, I've read and watching LOTS of manga and anime and I still obsess over awesome series' to this day! I hope to hear back from you guys if you like some of these, or even suggest other manga/anime to me..
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Edit: ignore this post
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Jomei Jostar I notice this is your first post so welcome to the Forum and enjoy your time here!

Berserk is a cracking series like you I ave been powering through the volumes recently.

My thoughts on my favourite manga can be found at the bottom of this page Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
So a while back, I backpeddled on a B&N purchase and got Skip Beat instead. I'm 6 vols in (as in 6 total, not 6 omnibuses), and apparently I do indeed like manga about show business somehow. It's strange because a) in real life, I could care less about it, especially when people like Justin Bieber are paraded around and we're told "this is show business!" and b) it's not like I have any personal vested interest here, I did tech stuff in theater, never acting. Alas, this isn't the first manga I've read about showbiz, there's Penguin Revolution (which I really hope Viz rescues since they're publishing Sweet Rein by the same author), Kodocha, hell I'll even count Kaleido Star here for performance art sake. And I've seen some of Glass Mask. But man do I clearly love manga about this sort of thing, it could be that they all have the burning passions thing that I really like and that what tends to make shonen so addicting. So yeah, I'm looking forward to more.
But dammit, I am missing the 10-11-12 omnibus (the comic shop had 13-14-15 and 16-17-18 half off so I obviously had to get them), which drives me nuts.

Speaking of performing arts, I also read the first two vols of Voice Over. Although I don't care personally about acting arts, voice acting clearly affects me waaay way more as I watch tons of anime, so I do find that inherently more interesting. Luckily, I also enjoyed these two vols! The second one definitely expands characters, which was desperately needed and I'm looking forward to more for sure. I don't typically watch too many extras on DVDs, but seeing them in the studio with a human making the familiar voices is just so fascinating to me. And man, have you guys ever seen some Avatar's extras where Dee Bradley Baker does all the animal and Appa and Momo noises? It's just mind-blowing to me! I admit, I do tend to prefer seeing these behind the scenes things for America shows because with anime, they have to match existing animation, but there, I know that the animation is going to end up matching them (and they'll come back and do fight scene grunts later)
Although I can't say how accurate the manga might be on the whole industry, it's the same sort of fun I get from other performing art manga. I definitely plan to check out more volumes.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Read Ooku 9 last night. It's really, really weird to see modern Dutch in there! I did notice one mistake:

It's "half drie 's morgens", not "half drie's morgens". The 's is short for 'des', which is an article and doesn't denote possession in the way an attached s would. In fact, it's the s at the end of morgen (morning) that indicates possession. For example:
"Vader des vaderlands" (father of the fatherland) means the same as "Vaderlands vader" (fatherland's father).

Well, I could be wrong. Maybe that did attach the article 's to the noun way back then. Or perhaps it looked like they did because many texts were still hand written. Damn it. Now I want to do some research Anime hyper
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Does that mean that the twist in empire strikes back was ruined for the dutch people during a new hope when they all heard Darth father??
Jomei Jostar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Jomei Jostar I notice this is your first post so welcome to the Forum and enjoy your time here!

Berserk is a cracking series like you I ave been powering through the volumes recently.

My thoughts on my favourite manga can be found at the bottom of this page Very Happy

Thanks man! And I will check out "The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe" pretty soon! By the way, I honestly hope Berserk will continue after this incredibly long hiatus.. What do you think will happen?
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
After reading that recent article about bookstore employees ranking manga for 2014, I've been reading Horimiya and I'm really enjoying it so far. The characters and interactions seem very natural.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Does that mean that the twist in empire strikes back was ruined for the dutch people during a new hope when they all heard Darth father??

I'm too young to have seen in theaters, but I can't recall being suprised when I first saw the movies on VHS. I was about 9 years old, too young to have had the movies toroughly spoiled, but almost young enough to consider some of those Scooby Doo reveals impressive. So, yeah, maybe reading 'Vader' in the subtitles (it's pronounced differently in Dutch) over an over again ruined the surprise. Actually, I recall it being kinda funny, because Darth Vader said something like "Nee, ik ben je vader."
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Jomei Jostar wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Thanks man! And I will check out "The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe" pretty soon! By the way, I honestly hope Berserk will continue after this incredibly long hiatus.. What do you think will happen?

I am only on volume 24ish so I still have a long way to go before I catch up with the current situation but in regards to its continuation Miura will continue the series once he has finished is mini series shown here Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toperz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Silver Spoon.

Anime is great and it's being published now. Not FMA'like, but still worth seeing! A great example that without superpowers and steel heroes manga can be interesting.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Toperz wrote:
Silver Spoon.

Anime is great and it's being published now. Not FMA'like, but still worth seeing! A great example that without superpowers and steel heroes manga can be interesting.

Sounds like your opinion before reading Silver Spoon was that manga had to have super powers to be interesting. ^^;;; There are plenty of manga before Silver Spoon without all the shounen action that are interesting. =P
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 111 of 154