• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It's really all Nemurin's fault.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't much left of her, so it was hard to tell, but did Cranberry actually turn back into her human form after she was killed?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
There wasn't much left of her, so it was hard to tell, but did Cranberry actually turn back into her human form after she was killed?

dont think so. her legs still had her magical girl outfit, which disappears immediately once they die
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I said this in the other thread, but I thought that I might bring it here. It seemed that the series might be criticising the making things that are inherently innocent into violent dark things just because those at the top are bored.

Also, I feel that Swim Swim may really be a clinical psychopath, a person born without empathy.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
well I promote swimswim culture and find it pretty nice who is the "main" villain to to speak, it reminds me of akira and how giving humans the power of gods can backfirre tremendously; in this case being more delicious by making the most "evil" magical the one character who is "the most girl" so to speak, feels like yet antoehr stab of the genre, since in the traditional magical girl series the girls have so many ways to just abuse their power but for plot reasons they won't do it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Your right about the real villains, but the twins are just as bad, along with Swim Swim's group. There was no excuse for what they did, though they had a good (evil) teacher.

Surely I will not compliment anything they've done in the game. But once told that 1) If you're last place you die, and that 2) if you give up you die, then only those with enough mental fortitute can handle that information. The more frail minds think: Unavoidably, somebody's dying, and it ain't me/us. Ruler's teaching don't help surely. I do have some questions regarding Ruler, since she did spend time teaching kanji to Tama.

F.a.v. probably chose people by type, and that means he probably knew who was gonna crack in what is essentialy a warfare atmosphere of (in their minds) kill or be killed. The flashbacks sure seem to indicate most of them have very little interest in killing. Poor Sister Nana, your great intentions were ruined from the get-go.

But hey, my analysis is not the only way of reading the situation. I apologize if I make too many war comparisons. Vietnam-themed movies are a favorite.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I said this in the other thread, but I thought that I might bring it here. It seemed that the series might be criticising the making things that are inherently innocent into violent dark things just because those at the top are bored.

Also, I feel that Swim Swim may really be a clinical psychopath, a person born without empathy.

That would result in a kinda hipocritical state of existence, though I've seen some works like that.

Swim Swim wouldn't have dropped a tear for killing Tama, nor feel remorse for killing Ruler were she a clinical psychopath.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

That would result in a kinda hipocritical state of existence, though I've seen some works like that.

Swim Swim wouldn't have dropped a tear for killing Tama, nor feel remorse for killing Ruler were she a clinical psychopath.

Yeah, it is kind of hypocritical, although hypocrisy can be a tool within it that can have a point, even if it could be overlooked. Kind of Like how Rambo was meant to be a criticism of the sort of violence it portrayed, yet became just an action movie series. But just look at the “villains” of the show, an overseer mascot who likely caused an accident to make things more interesting, and a little girl who has misunderstood lessons properly and become very dangerous.

And looking a bit more, because Swim is under 18 she could only be diagnosed with Conduct Disorder. But she has a lot of the symptoms from a lack of empathy, low fear responses, a cold blooded aggression for violence, among others. People tend to think when they hear of psychopathy that you are calling someone pure evil, that it is the sort of person that gets off on inflicting violence on others. But psychopaths can be the perfect soldier to defend a country, they could be the most likely to ignore normal fear and run into a burning building to save a child, they can be good leaders who will do anything to get the result, or a lawyer that could defend someone while ignoring bias to get them the defence they deserve. Yeah it might seem off to those with higher empathy, but it does not necessarily make them “evil”.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Don't be a Swim Swim apologist, James.

I stg nobody reads bylines when they're right there in plain sight. Paul is the reviewer for MGRP, not James.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
I was a little surprised by this episode, I thought that Cranberry would kill SwimSwim.

After thinking about it for a bit, having Swimswim as the possible final battle does make a bit of sense seeing as how she has killed the most magical girls. I was about to say people but just remembered the carnage Calamity Mary did.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I stg nobody reads bylines when they're right there in plain sight. Paul is the reviewer for MGRP, not James.

Don't you be a Swim Swim apologist too, Jake Laughing

Sorry for the mistake, Paul
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Paul Jensen wrote:
Having Tama deliver the killing blow is in line with the show's pattern of going against conventional genre logic in the way it wraps up character arcs.
I've mentioned this before, but having anybody else deliver the final blow would've been a surprise: Cranberry went on about how she wanted strong opponents about as much as Top Speed did about those six months.
Quote:
When Swim Swim finally regains consciousness, she realizes that Tama has seen her in her human form. In order to keep her identity secret, she promptly chops Tama's head off.
This is the real shocker. She didn't cry when the Peaky Angels died, but this right here shows how little she values the lives of her followers. Between her comparison to Ruler being about letting them die(quietly ignoring her murdering Tama) and her remarks to Fav in taking the Master position, it's rather clear she wants to rule, period, without much thought being given to her subjects(whereas Ruler merely wanted to remove the upper management stopping her wisdom from being implemented).
Hellsoldier wrote:
To what degree do we owe that tear to her being upset at utter failure, though? A princess without subjects is no princess at all.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
This episode further cements how evil Swim Swim is. Being young doesn't excuse you from being evil.

This ceased being a game a long time ago. As a Magical Girl, Ripple is fully justified in putting down Swim Swim. There will be no dark mark on Ripple. Swim Swim needs to die, and deserves a Magical Girl to kill her.

Since (F'av) killed Nemurin and Ruler, and since (F'av) and Cranberry were making up the rules as they went along, one wonders if (F'av) can simply kill the Magical Girls anytime he wants to. He doesn't appear to be bound by any rules (per se) or a natural law (like Madoka Magica).

Ruler's death appeared after the fact to be quite bloody, they didn't really explain how she died, unlike Nemurin.

Still think Nemurin's candies should have still counted, after all, her powers were dream based.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Calling Swim Swim evil is an incredibly simplistic evaluation. I get why people make it because many of us liked the girls who have died because of Swim Swim. However, the show has done something very interesting with her as an antogonist and if you are the type of person who actually enjoys thinking, you should take the time to appreciate it.

I've never really run across an antagonist like Swim Swim before. There's clearly something not right with her in RL. I've speculated that she is somewhere on the spectrum. Among other things, she takes things too literally. It was unfortunate she fell under the influence of Ruler. She has taken Ruler's lessons literally and does not have the intellectual capacity to discern nuance and context. The results have been tragic.

She's not evil. If she'd been taken in by Sister Nana, she'd be striving to be the kind leader in Sister Nana's mold. If she were evil, she'd be doing bad things regardless of who was influencing her and I just don't believe it. Enjoy the complexity of her situation because you don't get that in antagonists in anime very much.

There is only one true villain in the show and that is F'av. He selected various personalities and then manipulated the situation to ensure maximum carnage and chaos. All simply because he was bored. He needs to die.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Calling Swim Swim evil, does nothing to take away from her character. I am not talking about some supernatural or religious evil, but rather the evil in one's actions and thoughts.

While Swim Swim is not evil in the way Cranberry and Calamity Mary were, her actions are evil, especially what she did to Tama. You may be right that she has some development problems, but that doesn't excuse her actions.

Classifying something as evil, doesn't eliminate discussion on the reasons for why the character acts that way. Nor does it mean that an evil character can't find the light. Though I find anime tends to be way extravagant when it comes to forgiveness.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Yes, some of Swim Swim's actions have been evil - although she lacks the capacity to understand them in that light. I find the use of the word evil fairly trite, though. It's easy just to dismiss a character as "evil" and be done with it. Like I said before, the show has done something far more interesting than merely creating an "evil" Swim Swim.

In any case, I'm incredibly interested in seeing how this all gets resolved. One episode to go!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 17