• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Worst Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Another one would be Legend of DUO from 2005. Possibly made for cellphones of the time, yet aired on television, DUO is a painful hour of anime to watch. The story moves like molasses, the characters get barebones development, and the animation.... Well, it doesn't really exist. There are entire episodes (5-minutes each) of DUO where the only movement you see is either a camera pan or lip flaps, and the ever-so-short moments where you do see animation aren't anything notable.

I'm always surprised that Legend of Duo never comes up on these lists. Maybe it's because from a cap you'd think it was at least halfway competent. It isn't. It really isn't.

Struggling for multiple-episode shorts to fill a scheduling gap, my university anime society screened the whole thing one semester. It was the SECOND TIME I'd watched it. "DUO!" "ZIEG!" and the fact that one character looks like a child Vash the Stampede are all I remember about it. Oh, okay. Something something Our Vampires Are Different, and I think there's a ball, then running through a sewer, then a shootout in a church or something? There. That is all I can remember, and that from a show I thought was hilariously bad.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle... nothing happens, except I lost the time it took me to watch 50 episodes.

I would disqualify Tsubasa from the running simply because of the music. Tsubasa's OST marks some of Yuki Kajiura's finest work to date. Granted, it was wasted on such an ugly flat mess of an adaptation, but I stand my point.

Eri Itoh - You Are My Love (from Yuki Kajiura Live 2008.07.31 DVD) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkISMnadhrA

Even the OVA's had brilliant music: Synchronicity and Kioku no Mori.

Kioku no Mori: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7s6SZQ9SRQ

(That performance is available in very high quality on the Yuki Kajiura Live vol. #4 blu-ray).

For bad anime, the "anime within an anime" in Nodame Cantable and in Shirobako (the one that gave the producer a bad reputation) would count.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Someone mentioned Diabolik Lovers and I realized I had successfully blotted it out of my mind and forgotten it.

Yeah no THAT'S easily one of the worst anime I've seen in recent memory. Yeah, otome game adaptations have the issue of vapid, empty protagonists.....but never has a single character INFURIATED ME SO MUCH as the girl in DL. I can't believe I watched as much of it as I did.

Now, there was one otome game adaption that fell into "it's so bad it's great" territory for me, and that was Kamigami no Asobi. I gleefully laughed my way through those 12 episodes, starting with the overdone flower backgrounds that popped up when the boys were introduced. Man....especially the play episode...I was in stitches. It was HILARIOUS. And now I want to play the game LOL.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned Koi Koi Seven--fanservice to the point of ridiculous overkill. Small wonder why that series never got a US distribution license.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
How does an article describing the Worst Anime Of All Time segue into a whinefest of people lining up to throw a variety of anime that aren't even bad under the bus?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
How does an article describing the Worst Anime Of All Time segue into a whinefest of people lining up to throw a variety of anime that aren't even bad under the bus?
Actually, despite some obvious baiting by some, I think this discussion has been surprisingly civil considering the topic.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
I remembered the name of the movie! Dead Leaves. F*cking sh*tty.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
Explorer Woman Ray is up there. It fits Mike's original premise (and I'm pretty sure he's discussed it before) because there's really nothing redeeming about it at all. The premise even sounds fine enough, but the execution is so uniformly bad. Big Wars is another.

Many of the other things being listed appeal to at least some niche fanbase (and really, the vast majority of anime is selling to only a niche fanbase in Japan in the first place; for a late-night essentially infomercial anime, 10,000 units moved is a huge success.) I don't put them in the same category as shows where even huge fans of the genre and theme would say that they're terrible.
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Sparrow's Hotel was a 1995- quality short anime that came out in 2013 abouta girl with superpowers and big boobs who worked at a hotel, and would usually beat someone up and then have a sorry-looking expression on her face. That was about it.

Pupa is about a guy who can regenerate and his little sister who eats chunks of him, it was a highly anticipated series (?) that got delayed like three times then finally came out in five minute episodes and everything about it is bad.

And one of my favorite terrible anime, Bagi, Monster of Mighty Nature. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's terrible.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
The worse anime I've ever seen was Pupa. As other people have mentioned before, it's a horror anime condensed into 5 minutes episodes. It's one of the few objectively bad anime I've ever seen.

On a more subjective note, Black Rock Shooter (TV). It was basically just an 8 episode long melodrama. The CGI in the anime is, admittedly, some of the best I've ever seen in any anime, but that quickly loses its appeal when you have to suffer through 8 episodes of wangst.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
[...] It's one of the few objectively bad anime I've ever seen.

On a more subjective note, [...].

I feel compelled to note that I disagree with the concept of "objective" opinions. All opinions are subjective. Something that is objective is, ipso facto, a fact -- not an opinion.

That's my story; and I'm stickin' to it! Razz
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
And one of my favorite terrible anime, Bagi, Monster of Mighty Nature. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's terrible.

Tezuka's ancient-manga days carry a sort of naivety that creates a range of "Well, what did you EXPECT?" on anything related to Astro, Kimba or BlackJack.
Bagi's certainly in that ballpark, but hardly "awful". (When the villainess of the story turns into Disney's Wicked Queen, complete with magic mirror and heart-box, we just shrug it off and say "Yyyep, that's Tezuka...Oh, Osamu-kun, you nutster. Confused )
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
My list:

Kanokon "BECAUSE RAPE IS LOVE"
Glasslip Good lord, there's six hours of my life I'll never get back. D:
Mamotte Lollipop WORST SHOUJO EVER. "LAZY" is the ultimate word that comes to mind.
Green Green The last episodes will insult your intelligence so bad, you can't even....but really, the whole thing sucks.
Love Love .......the entire first episode is the protag running into girl after girl and seeing their panties. THAT IS ALL THAT HAPPENS. AND SOME OF THEM ARE LIKE EIGHT.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
I think some people here are confusing things they don't like with objectively bad anime that even the people who made would admit, "Look, we had two hundred yen and an afternoon to make. Of course it's crap."

For recent examples, I'd go with Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi. I mean, just look at the PV and tell me the people making it didn't treat it as a joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnOgYboulfI

I LOVE ItsuTen and have no clue as to why people don't like it. What's wrong with it?

Quote:
I remembered the name of the movie! Dead Leaves. F*cking sh*tty.

Lol yeah.....I saw it and did not enjoy.
T Quatermass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Of the recent TV fare:

Cross Ange: If sadism and rape are you thing, you might enjoy this show. But, this show is only for those who enjoy hating the characters they're watching. I would like to describe it as Game of Thrones without the hope. No doubt, watching it will make a you bad person if you're not already.

Any show existing only for loli fanservice: There seem to be too many fitting this terrible trend. Regardless of technical quality or other qualities, I submit them for the title of worst for moral reasons, along with Cross Ange. Just bad ideas. Some examples would KnJ and Asteroth's Toy. It's also a bad trait of Fate/Kaleid Ilya (and almost every recent anime made despite them otherwise being good shows).

Queen's Blade: Incredibly boring. Terrible pacing. A great example of fan service done badly, per another article on ANN. A show also needs plot and characters, besides go from point A to B and fight.

Of old shows;

Violinist of Hameln: This is bad for the budgetary restraints and the choices made with it. An anime consisting of mostly only still frames, leading to one of the most disappointing rushed endings in anime. Historically speaking, an example of a way to really screw up an adaptation of a long-running and popular manga. I don't even hate this show; however, it was an epic failure and thus qualifies as a candidate for the worst.

A Wind Named Amnesia: Because it could drive viewers to suicide. Perhaps, some would rank that as a technical achievement. I've set aside a special hollow point in case I'm forced to watch it again.

Art of Fighting: ... Really, numerous low budget video game adaptations are truly horrendous, like they were animated, voice-acted, and put to music by a single retarded monkey.

In agreement:

penguintruth: "The worst anime I've ever seen is Virus Buster Serge, an anime that combines Bubblegum Crisis, Evangelion, and clumsy, pretentious, ham-fisted naval-gazing." +1

ZenAmako: "Bubblegum Crash:" Truly one of the worst sequels of anything. +1

In defense of fare previously unjustly maligned:

Cyber Team in Akihabara: Decidedly not totally forgettable. Not only did it have an interesting twist on the magical genre at the time and high quality voice actors, designers, and musicians, it's plot was also quite interesting with good characters. I know some who rank this as a favorite show. It could be criticized for decreasing animation quality as the series went on, but that's not a really unique trait of an anime series. While there are many examples of cookie-cutter magical shows, this one shouldn't be called one of them.

Fate/Stay Night and Zero:
First, dismissing these as eroge adaptions is wrong since the visual novels can't really be categorized as eroge. They merely have a few loves scenes in them. That makes them as much eroge as the original Terminator movie or any other 80s action film. (And yes, Zero was adapted from a sexless novel, but I'm speaking generally of the series.) Even if the general consensus is that the visual novels are eroge, I have to state that they don't really fit the definition.
Second, this series really seems to be a love it or hate show. It can't objectively be called bad. With the top notch artwork, animation, voice acting, and music, it is simply objectively good (or well done, if you'd prefer). The top notch animation is more applicable to the Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works and Fate Zero series than the original FSN TV series.

Record of Lodoss War: It hasn't aged well. I tend to agree. However, it was very notable and impressive at the time. The artwork is still incredible.

Lunar Legend Tsukihime: I'm actually surprised this gets so much hate. This was a gothic romance. I enjoyed it as such. I was actually expecting a Street Fighter type show since my only familiarity was with the Melty Blood game, and I still liked it. Reminded me of a Maison Ikkoku tpe show, only with vampires and dismemberments. The slow pace fit the gothic romance.

Bonus:
Violence Jack:
I want to nominate Violence Jack for worst if only due to my reactions to watching the recent release on DVD.
I must have watched the edited version on VHS way back when and mistakenly had nostalgia for this. The actual uncut show is truly horrific. It would be found in the hentai section with the uncut scenes added back in. The story is also fairly nonsensical. It doesn't stand on its own. It really needs more cohesive tying to the other Go Nagai works to function. So, all of the hanging elements that point to greater story are instead merely nonsense moments in the show. This is essentially a nihilist action version of Cannibal Holocaust. However after I watched it, I immediately wanted to show it to someone else. Some pains needs to shared. They need a support group.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
All the excellent, great, good, or at least decent titles that are being called bad in here... Geeeez...

Anyways, my list of worst I've watched thus far:

-Argevollen: Generic Mecha action.

-Avenger: Can I say ''POINTLESS''?!!

-Mahouka: I feel that somehow, a scenario and even some characters were put to waste. And then there's that lingering jingonism/nationalism.

-Karen Senki: What did I even try to watch?

-Rail Wars!: Dropped it at 3rd episode. Typical Otaku fare.

Honorable Mentions. These are not the worst anime, but are frustrating for a variety of reasons:

-Bubblegum Crash! is not in itself a bad anime, but it is the worst sequel even. Bubblegum Crisis deserved better.

-Isuca: It already wasn't a masterpiece, but it was watchable, even if some characters annoyed me... but not giving a proper conclusion to a already ''barely-making-it'' story doesn't improve your cause.

-Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora/Shatered Angels... I swear, one day I will finish watching you and finally see what is so good about you. But god ******* damn it, the protagonist annoys me to hell.

-M3: That Dark Metal... Never have I seen a story collapsing like this before. I was really into it. Why?

EDIT: Gundam Recongista in G (G-Reco) was a waste of 12 hours of my life.

Last edited by Hellsoldier on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15