• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
Sakura22222 wrote:
I hated the anime and loved the manga. I'd be happy no...I'd be ecstatic if they made a manga adaptation. I agree that the first anime series is wrapped up and a sequel to the movie would be terrible and a prequel would be idiotic. In my opinion. I guess I'm the only one who's a fan of Winry and Riza on this whole forum because In my opinion they butchered and completely slaughtered Winry AND Riza's character in the anime more Winry than anything else.

With Riza she's a human in the manga she's cries she smiles she makes funny facial expressions. Not some shooting no emotions feeling solider. In the manga they reveal her past and why she's so dedicated Roy. They also watered down spoiler[Roy and Riza's relationship. In the movie Roy was in remote post where it was snowing and he was all depressed. Anyone that has read the manga KNOWS Riza would never let him be alone like that. I'm mean she didn't wan't to even live anymore when she thought he was dead. And she said she's follow him to hell.]

My opinion on Winry is that they killed her. They absolutely destroyed her character. First off she's a main character not spoiler[some support character that shows up every 10 episodes Evil or Very Mad (I'm pissed about that. And a main theme in the manga is forgivness and compassion. Winry is full of that. I mean she helped the man (Scar) that killed her parents Smile. It takes a big person to do something llike that. And I absolutely despised the animators when in 2 different episodes both Ed and Al hit her. Anyone that reads the manga knows that they woud never harm her....Well apparently the animators didn't know that. I think it's safe to say that most people that like the anime better or have seen the anime first hate Winry because the animators sure do. I don't know how they got her main character thing wrong because it's in a manga count and even Arakawa said Winry's one of her favorites. ]

Al is his own person in the manga and independent. Whereas in the anime he's just Ed's little brother and a side kick. Nothing more.

Ling, Ran Fan and Mei are great characters who I feel really deserved animation

I have no idea how anyone can like the anime better seeing as how it was BASED off the manga. If they do make the sequel I am PRAYING that it's based off of the manga.

Oh yeah I have to scream this. Ed and Winry do NOT HAVE A BROTHER/SISTER RELATIONSHIP!!!!!

Phew! I'm glad I got that out.

I'm looking forward to this. Smile

(I added spoiler tags for you, please do this yourself in the future. -selenta)

I completely agree with you. I bet many people didn't even read all the manga volumes released so far. -_-'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Hey... forgive me if this has been thought of before on the thread (I don't feel like sifting thru all 150+ posts....though I did follow a good amount of them), but WHAT IF the series took place between the end of the anime and the movie? From Al's (and maybe Ed's...?) perspective? Sure, it may make everything that happens in it relatively pointless, but on the bright side, it would have a lesser chance of ruining what I thought as a pretty much resolved ending in the movie, if the new series wants to be in synch with the anime storyline.

But is that the most preferrable? Prob. not. Though I'm probably not adding much new by saying this, I think the series could easily be given "reboot" from the beginning (though I may be mistaken, not having read much of the manga at all). Though we may see key scenes + developments from the 1st series' half again, these could be kept in a "tighter" and denser episode count-- after all, there were at least a couple episodes that were filler (with the Blue Rose episode coming to mind), and probably one or two that only mattered to the anime's plot in the last half (like Lyra, from the Youswell incident,spoiler[ coming back as Dante]), unless there's some significance to the first half's more minor characters too later on it the manga too. Do it all with brand-spanking-new animation in a 16:4(?) frame-aspect ratio and I think we'd be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aele

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess the we can call this series ,tentatively, Fulltimatel Alchemist?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I hope they will realese more info soon... ^^

Anyway, a little thought: if the new series will be someway related to the old one, why waiting all this time to make it?

It would make more sense to create a series more true to the manga, at this point, since the manga, if not at its end, is maybe near to it, and the ending could always be done later as OAVs or some specials...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Electrastar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
YES!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool Cool Cool

I hope it turns out to be like Hellsing Ultimate. Starting from volume 7, of course.

Exactly. They could continue the story from where the anime and manga were still the same (about the time where Greed shows up), then we could forget the awful job they did with the rest of the first anime and the movie (forgive me, but I'm a hardcore fan of the manga...the anime, even if I own them on dvd, is kinda meh...)
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
If I remember well, though, there are some few, small differences with the manga even in the first half of the anime.
And the problem about the difference in the format (4:3 to 16:9) would still remain...
karvelot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping it's going to be a complete remake that's more faithful to the manga than the first series was. I'm also hoping that they keep Vic Mignogna as Edward Elric.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Heh, I had to register here just to fulfill my burning desire to discuss this. I know I'll probably just be reiterating a lot of what people have already said, but, hey, I figure I can throw my opinion in too.

FMA is one of my favorite series of all time, and owning both all of the anime and the manga, I truly love both versions. I really find it hard to decide between the two - there are some things about the anime I like more than the manga, but it's also a shame that the manga hasn't been animated all of the way through. Yet I don't regret that they stopped half way through, either, because I love what came out of it, and I personally think studio BONES is brilliant.

But in all reality, that storyline has come full circle, and to continue it now would just be ridiculous. So I just don't get why people are making it seem like it has to be anime vs. manga. I mean, trying to prove that one is better than the other is pretty futile, anyways, and pointless. And it's not like, even if you could, that would also prove the direction of the new anime. And on top of that, I just don't see how you can justify reviving a complete story in lieu of animating the rest of the manga, which really does have some absolutely incredibly scenes that already give me chills on paper - I can't imagine the effect they could have on me animated. And it's not like if they animate the rest of the manga, it invalidates the first anime series - on the otherhand, if they try to pick up the old anime plot, and ruin it, then it would ruin the rest of the anime. I guess I just don't see why the anime and manga have to be competing, it just seems silly. They are separate entities, neither one invalidates the other.

So, yes, please, full steam ahead with the animation of the rest of the manga! It's actually something I've been dreaming of ever since I first started reading the manga, and it would really be amazing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
allykatty1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I put a poll on my blog to see what everyone actually prefers insofar as what will happen in the new series (although I personally have no doubt that it will be a manga-based remake! Wink ).

Go vote! Very Happy

allysonfloyd.blogspot.com
Joyful

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
Heh, I had to register here just to fulfill my burning desire to discuss this. I know I'll probably just be reiterating a lot of what people have already said, but, hey, I figure I can throw my opinion in too.

FMA is one of my favorite series of all time, and owning both all of the anime and the manga, I truly love both versions. I really find it hard to decide between the two - there are some things about the anime I like more than the manga, but it's also a shame that the manga hasn't been animated all of the way through. Yet I don't regret that they stopped half way through, either, because I love what came out of it, and I personally think studio BONES is brilliant.

But in all reality, that storyline has come full circle, and to continue it now would just be ridiculous. So I just don't get why people are making it seem like it has to be anime vs. manga. I mean, trying to prove that one is better than the other is pretty futile, anyways, and pointless. And it's not like, even if you could, that would also prove the direction of the new anime. And on top of that, I just don't see how you can justify reviving a complete story in lieu of animating the rest of the manga, which really does have some absolutely incredibly scenes that already give me chills on paper - I can't imagine the effect they could have on me animated. And it's not like if they animate the rest of the manga, it invalidates the first anime series - on the otherhand, if they try to pick up the old anime plot, and ruin it, then it would ruin the rest of the anime. I guess I just don't see why the anime and manga have to be competing, it just seems silly. They are separate entities, neither one invalidates the other.

So, yes, please, full steam ahead with the animation of the rest of the manga! It's actually something I've been dreaming of ever since I first started reading the manga, and it would really be amazing.

I totally agree. I love both the anime and manga and consider them two different entities with similar themes and characters. The two have split apart so much so, that the anime was able to carry on on its own without the manga. True, I'm quite the fan of Winry, so the anime does anger me in that respect, but again, they are two different things. I eagerly await an anime that will be in manga time. spoiler[to see Ed protect Winry from Scar and to see the whole evil looking Hoenheim thing pan out would be amaing]
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see someone agrees! Very Happy Yeah, Winry's role is a bit minimized in the anime, but she still contributed nicely to it, I think. I do wish they'd had her confront Mustang, at least, but her role in the anime was still enough for me. If they are going to animate the rest of the manga, then I really can't wait to see spoiler[the scene where she's got a gun pointed at Scar], that is such an intense moment, I think it would translate into anime wonderfully. I'd also love to see the scene where spoiler[Ed is digging up the remains of his and Al's transmutation with Pinako behind the remains of his burnt down house and realizes that it isn't his mother], everything about that scene was just bone chilling, especially Ed's expression at the end, it'd be wonderful if they copied that image straight from the manga. It really has just imprinted itself into my mind as one of the most striking images of the entire series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smashmeapples

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
AHHH! X3 X3 X3 X3 X3 X3
I'm so freaking excited for this, I KNEW IT I KNEW IT! They were BOUND to make another series, the world of alchemy is just too interesting to let go >w< I've been a true, die-hard fan of Fulllmetal Alchemist for YEARS, this means so dang much to me (bounces up an down) YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!! Gosh, im so psyched! YES!! Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper_Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when we'll have more info... I'm dying to know if it'll be really based completely on the manga, this time around!
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm really syched for this sequel but along with other's I cant imagine were they would leave off when the anime finished it up so nicely.... Though I really want it to continue with the anime counterpart I really didn't enjoy the manga but I loved the anime's plot better than the manga... Also I'm positive it will get licenced by Funimation it was there goal mine, also I hope they keep the same VA's because the cast was just amazing and the best dub ever better than the japanese version. But I feel sad about Alphonce's VA, even if they hire one just as good I'll still be alittle disapointed... I was a big Fma fan it's a classic and I hope this one will be good ifo not better, though the new director worrie's me will he/she be able to manage it as good as the last one because the last one was awesome...
itbme1987

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
about the movie, I thought there were a few parts missing, like how do they close the gate on un-alchemic side, do they attempt to get the atomic creation that was made in the alchemic world that somehow crossed into the other side. About the new show i believe it is possible they somehow can make it back....somehow.....im glad this show didn't wind up like the dragonball series...it mean its a nice series but it got so predictable....someone would pull out some world saving move and fix it...in FMA there wasnt some fix without sacrifice leaving it unpredictable
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14