• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedragon

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Liam O'Brien as Lloyd Asplund is perfect. He hits the high note just right.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
I was much more impressed with this second episode than I was with the first one. Although the spoiler[utter dominance of the Lancelot] felt overplayed, the episode still had plenty enough other thrilling content to carry through.

Guess I'll just have to get used to those annoying pointy-chinned male character designs. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I'm still not sold yet. Maybe it's because they are trying to stuff so much into one episode, or the awkward way scene transitions seem to be played out. I don't know I just get a total rushed feeling when watching. Like a sports highlight show or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Well, get used to it being rushed, the entire show is like that and it won't stop to explain it to you. And it gets even worse in the second season. You either follow along with suspension of disbelief, or you find another anime to watch.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I find that statement to be more than a little bit rude for no damn good reason. Also keep in mind, that many, and hopefully most of the people that are in this thread haven't seen Code Geass before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
I agree that was a bit rude, to say the least.

Still, I would add that the show does have slower moments where certain things are given an acceptable explanation or contextualization...but it's true that the overall pace is on the faster end of the scale, and other events aren't always going to be explicitly explained in the process (though there may be hints or foreshadowing). Some things, arguably, never will be.

Some questions continue to exist well within the second season, but I'd argue that a couple of the things left hanging towards the end of the first were in fact resolved easily enough.

I guess you might as well stick around and decide, one way or another.
babbo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
thedragon wrote:

Totally agreed there. That came out of nowhere imo. Johnny yong bosch on the other hand missed out on some of the melodrama that Jun Fukuyama put into lelouche's role. A comparison of the acting in the scene where he steals viletta's knightmare illustrates it pretty well. I'm interested to see how he's going to pull off some of the speeches later on the series <.<
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
thedragon wrote:

Totally agreed there. That came out of nowhere imo. Johnny young bosch on the other hand missed out on some of the melodrama that Jun Fukuyama put into lelouche's role. A comparison of the acting in the scene where he steals viletta's knightmare illustrates it pretty well. I'm interested to see how he's going to pull off some of the speeches later on the series <.<

I thought that Lloyd sounded forced, as if the VA was too focused on getting the accent down that he struggled to get the "zaniness" of the original. That said, he has potential. It sure isn't an easy role, and I expect he'll settle in nicely.

I haven't got many kind words for Johnny, the voice of Lelouch. He isn't pompous enough - he doesn't sound like a prince of the most powerful nation on Earth. Although he sounds more like a teenager than the original, he doesn't bring out the maturity and intelligence that Lelouch is supposed to have. Don't get me wrong, the performance was alright. But, I did expect more from such a veteran.

Oh, and did anyone else realise that Lelouch did not alter his voice when talking to the terrorists? That's plain wrong, and messes up the story (well, will mess it up in the next episode). Does Young Bosch really have that limited a range?
babbo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
babbo wrote:
thedragon wrote:

Totally agreed there. That came out of nowhere imo. Johnny young bosch on the other hand missed out on some of the melodrama that Jun Fukuyama put into lelouche's role. A comparison of the acting in the scene where he steals viletta's knightmare illustrates it pretty well. I'm interested to see how he's going to pull off some of the speeches later on the series <.<

I thought that Lloyd sounded forced, as if the VA was too focused on getting the accent down that he struggled to get the "zaniness" of the original. That said, he has potential. It sure isn't an easy role, and I expect he'll settle in nicely.
I guess I was surprised enough how lcose it was in that it's such an eccentric character role. I thought for sure if anyone was going to get a bad dub it was lloyd so seeing it pulled of decently really kinda made my day.

Quote:

I haven't got many kind words for Johnny, the voice of Lelouch. He isn't pompous enough - he doesn't sound like a prince of the most powerful nation on Earth. Although he sounds more like a teenager than the original, he doesn't bring out the maturity and intelligence that Lelouch is supposed to have. Don't get me wrong, the performance was alright. But, I did expect more from such a veteran.

Oh, and did anyone else realise that Lelouch did not alter his voice when talking to the terrorists? That's plain wrong, and messes up the story (well, will mess it up in the next episode). Does Young Bosch really have that limited a range?

Yup; that's exactly what I meant by the lack of melodrama. I think it's worse in the case of when he's using his geass. The guy is commanding people to kill themselves and he barely even changed his tone of voice. On another rather pointless note I found it kind of amusing that he pronounced "lelouche" differently than clovis's VA Anime hyper

Last edited by babbo on Sun May 04, 2008 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
KairuRoukan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I don't know, I'm still not sold yet. Maybe it's because they are trying to stuff so much into one episode, or the awkward way scene transitions seem to be played out. I don't know I just get a total rushed feeling when watching. Like a sports highlight show or something.
My feelings exactly. As it stands, the story has me interested...but those scene transitions are so jerky and fast I felt like I was missing out on something. At times it felt like I was watching a heavily edited video. I'm sure I'll get used to it...but it's just so awkward to watch at times.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
There was some kind of disconnect between when Lelouche decided to run the show and when he had the means to do so. How was he able to get so much intel on the enemies? I mean, couldn't they have shut him out once they knew the situation?
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
When he got Villetta's knightmare frame he gained access to Britania's radio and IFF data (and if anyone was wondering he still had the radio Kallen left behind when she launched in episode one). With this he pretty much had the means to both know what his enemies were doing and tell the Terrorists what to do.

also the Britanians never figured out what was happening (when they changed the IFFs Lelouche would know and change along with them)
omar235

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Guess I'll just have to get used to those annoying pointy-chinned male character designs. Razz

You know despite the fact that Clamps character designs annoy me I find that I have gotten use to them enough to, eventually you tend ocassionally forget about their long limbs and such.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the voices for this episode, they were done pretty well, Lloyd's voice was pretty good I must say. Wink
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

I get the same feeling too.
Everything happenes so suddenly and I'm like "wtf?"
I'm still giving the show a chance though.

Episode 2 sorta bored me on the first half but the second half I enjoyed [maybe because of the action >.> ]
skyesage

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, it is a little trippy to watch Bleach and then Geass, because then you are like, 'Oh it's Ichigo! Haha!' with Johnny Yong Bosch.

...That said I think he does a fairly good job, he creeps me out...though not the most of any role ever or something like that.

I will admit, I er...started on this episode and not the last one (I didn't realize it was starting LAST week!!!!!!) but it is shiny and I like his character designs and I think that the characters are awesome and that it'll be a lot more fun for me than Death Note, and a good complement to Bleach too Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 60