• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
Digidestined vs. Myotismon, Digimon Adventures
vs.
Sailor Scouts vs. Queen Beryl, Sailor Moon

Little personal interest here. Barring compelling arguments to the contrary, I favor Scouts vs. Beryl.

Group B-18
Le Secret du Roi vs. Revolutionary Brethren, Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto franchise

Ugh. I hate to eliminate the Le Chevalier d'Eon rivalry this early, as it's one of the most intricate in the tournament, but it's even harder to deny Naruto vs. Sasuke. Especially in the first series, it's simply too strongly-established and well-reinforced.

Group B-19
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman vs. Galactor, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
vs.
Group B-6
Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z

Wow, this is a tough choice, and I nominated both of them. The Gatchaman vs. Galactor rivalry more completely defines and composes its series than Goku vs. Vegeta does, but the latter sets the standard for an entire major genre. Ultimately the difference comes down to the fact the DBZ rivalry is more decidedly personal, and that's why it gets my vote here.

Group B-20
Nabuca vs. Shu, Now and Then, Here and There
vs.
Inuyasha vs. Koga, Inuyasha franchise

Yeesh; this one is the toughest of this Group so far. Inuyasha vs. Koga is unquestionably a potent rivalry, as the fact that they have similarly contrary personalities and are in love with the same girl makes it difficult for them to not be rivals. Nabuca vs. Shu, OTOH, is one of anime's most intense ideological contrasts. Their philosophies, beliefs, and outlooks conflict on multiple levels, making it impossible for one to save the other until it's too late. That makes it a slightly more interesting rivalry.

Group B-21
Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi, Code Geass
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Another toughie. I'm going with Noir vs. Soldats because it is more clear-cut and lasts for a longer chunk of the franchise, proportionately-speaking.

Group B-22
[url=]Kenji Harima vs. Haruki Hanai[/url], School Rumble
vs.
Capulets vs. Lord Montague, Romeo x Juliet

No contest here. Capulets vs. Lord Montague defines its series' plot and most of its cast; in fact, the hero and heroine being the exceptions to the rule only makes the fierceness of this rivalry seem to burn stronger by contrast.

Group B-23
Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise
vs.
Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis, Summer Wars

Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru is the stronger and longer-standing of the two Inuyasha rivalries in this Group. Their long-standing disdain for each other is strongly-defined early on, lasts the entire series, and is unquestionable. I stand by my Round 1 statement that this is anime's top sibling rivalry.

Group B-24
Three Goddesses vs. Mara, Ah!/Oh My Goddess franchise
vs.
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam

I thought the AMG "rivalry" was a tenuous one last round, and the competition is stronger here. Amuro vs. Char is, arguably, the defining mecha rivalry of the past 32 years, so this one isn't even close for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Match B-17: Digidestined vs Myotismon (Digimon franchise)
While the Beryl/ Sailor Scouts rivalry is one of the memorable ones to come out of the mahou shoujo genre, it doesn't carry the depth and longevity that the two generations of Digidestined in Digimon Adventures had in confronting Myotismon.

Match B-18: Naruto vs Sasuke (Naruto franchise)

Match B-19: Goku vs Vegeta (Dragonball Z)

Match B-20: Nabuca vs Shu (Now and Then Here and There)
Koga and Inuyasha's love spat over Kagome is a minor feud compared to other heated rivalries that the Inuyasha series has to offer. Compare their feud to the tense conflicts of ideology that Shu and Nabuca have with one another in how they handle things against Hellywood and the former rivalry looks quite outclassed as a result.

Match B-21: Lelouch vs Suzaku (Code Geass)

Match B-22: Capulets vs Lord Montague (Romeo x Juliet)

Match B-23: Love Machine vs Kenji and Jinnouchis (Summer Wars)
While Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's rivalry made for one of the more interesting feuds to see in the earlier episodes of their series, Naraku's presence eventually drives the brothers to put their focus towards taking out the main series baddie and tensions between them become increasingly less hostile with Sesshomaru occasionally coming to his brother's aid in later episodes. Thus as a result, I must put my vote towards the intriguing technological warfare that Kenji and the Jinnouchi family engaged against the Love Machine virus in Summer Wars.

Match B-24: Amuro Ray vs Char Aznable (Mobile Suit Gundam)
The Mara/ Goddesses rivalry is completely outclassed in what could be the Gundam franchise's most famous and heated rivalry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shadow13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Group B-17
vs.

Group B-18
vs.

Spies and secret organizations rank higher than ninjas in my book

Group B-19
vs.
Group B-6

Group B-20
vs.

Group B-21
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Group B-22
vs.

Group B-23
vs.

Group B-24
vs.

Hmm girls on missions or the bloody one year war rivalry between the famed red comet and a rookie Newtype...
hands down Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Minigame Results!

That's it for now.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
First off, good luck, Key, on the job front! I've been facing a similar situation and it really isn't fun on the stress levels. Hope everything works out Anime smile

Also, the coding to the Kenji-Haruki guide entry has a problem and so there is no link.

Group B-17
Voting for: Digidestined vs. Myotismon, Digimon Adventures

I have been dreading/debating this one ever since the first round for Group B. It's nostalgia vs nostalgia and really hard for me to decide. The factor that finally won me over to Digimon was actually something I forgot about when I made the initial nomination: this one actually does span two seasons. Admittedly Beryl is the main villain for an entire season but I think Myotismon still shakes things up enough both times for that to count as a bit more. But I won't be devastated if the Sailor Moon rivalry wins out in the end.

Group B-18
Voting for: Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto franchise

Group B-19
Voting for: Science Ninja Team Gatchaman vs. Galactor, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman

This one is hard, since they are both so iconic (and I also have about as much knowledge about one as the other). Going to go with Gatchaman in the end though, since it sounds like it is more sustained throughout the series.

Group B-20
Voting for: Nabuca vs. Shu, Now and Then, Here and There

Group B-21
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi, Code Geass

Group B-22
Voting for: Capulets vs. Lord Montague, Romeo x Juliet

Group B-23
Voting for: Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise

Group B-24
Voting for: Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I am voting early before Hurricane Irene does something about that. This is the first time in my life where something like this happened. Upon leaving today, public service announcement flyers for hurricane preparation were placed in the space between the door. This is some serious stuff.

Group B-17
vs.

My vote goes to: Sailor Scouts vs. Queen Beryl.

Group B-18
vs.

Despite my sporadic following of the series, I have to admit that there is a intense rivalry between these two. The amount of training these two do is one aspect of their desire to surpass the another. I do like how their rivalry passes on from the first series to the second.

My vote goes to: Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha.

Group B-19
vs.
Group B-6

My vote goes to: Goku vs. Vegeta.

Group B-20
vs.

My vote goes to: Inuyasha vs. Koga.

Group B-21
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

My vote goes to: Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi.

Group B-22
Kenji Harima vs. Haruki Hanai, School Rumble
vs.

Emotions are in the air when the name of Lord Montague is uttered. This is more than a familial feud. It is a debt, a blood debt that spans through parent and child where young star-crossed lovers must face the cruel reality known as fate. Love is a casualty in this rivalry.

My vote goes to: Capulets vs. Lord Montague.

Group B-23
vs.

My vote goes to: Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis.

Group B-24
vs.

This is a long-term rivalry that spans through Amuro's teenage (Mobile Suit Gundam), young adult (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam), and adult years (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack). Throughout those years, the two men have differing ideas and will not let bygones be bygones especially on the death of the woman both men loved. While Amuro does his best to to fight for a better future, Char still sees the naivety in him just as he did when they first met.

My vote goes to: Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Yay, no power outage or serious damage!
So, um, turnout looks painfully low right now, and I don't imagine the hurricane is helping with that.

B-17
Digidestined vs. Myotismon, Digimon Adventures vs.
Choosing: Digidestined vs Myotismon
Because It's been a while since I've seen Digimon and I've never seen Sailor Moon, but the arguments in favor of the former are a little more convincing.

B-18
Le Secret du Roi vs. Revolutionary Brethren, Le Chevalier d’Eon vs.
Choosing: Le Secret vs Brethren
Because Naruto and Sasuke are good enough to move on, and they probably will, but the Chevalier groups are just as driven in their actions, and I prefer the ideological motivation for their conflict over the shonen who's stronger contest.

B-19
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman vs. Galactor, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman vs.
Choosing: Goku vs Vegeta
Because Following Key's lead based on the comment that the Dragon Ball fight is more personal.

B-20
Nabuca vs. Shu, Now and Then, Here and There vs.
Choosing: Nabuca vs Shu
Because I recall people saying this was maybe the weakest of the three Inuyasha rivalries, so it's hard to vote against the perennial favorite of NTHT.

B-21
Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi, Code Geass vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir
Choosing: Lelouch vs Suzaku
Because Coin toss. Not familiar enough with either show, and there hasn't been much in the way of arguments for this match up.
Changing my vote in light of later comments regarding this match up.

B-22
Kenji Harima vs. Haruki Hanai, School Rumble vs.
Choosing: Kenji vs Haruki
Because Pity vote. The Capulets vs Montague is unquestionably a stronger conflict, with a whole lot more on the line, but the School Rumble rivalry provided some pretty consistent humor, and I don't want them to go down with no votes here.

B-23
Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise vs.
Choosing: Love Machine vs Jinnouchis
Because Haven't seen Inuyasha, so my choice is to support the Summer Wars nominee, which builds to some very intense show downs and is the driving force of the movie.

B-24
Three Goddesses vs. Mara, Ah!/Oh My Goddess franchise vs.
Choosing: Amuro vs Char
Because The Goddesses are only here because their opponents last round were perhaps the worst in the tournament. There's been enough positive things said about Char and Amuro that this should be a complete blowout, if not a full shutout.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I get notifications on 3-year-old necrothreads, but none on this one...go figure!

Group B-17

Sticking with my girls for now. I just feel that their fight is much better than the Digimon one. I just don't feel that the Digimon rivalry is any better than the Scouts vs Beryl.

Group B-18

vs.

I think that I'm going with Naruto and Sasuke. While the Le Secret du Roi rivalry is good. Naruto's and Sasuke's is just a step or two better. Possibly because they do know each other.

Group B-19

Group B-6

Group B-20

Inuyasha vs. Koga is fine for giggles but we've got to get serious at some point and Nabuca vs. Shu is VERY serious. While I've never seen the series (and to be honest, I don't think I want to) from the other Tournaments what these two boys went through was Hell On Earth. And, right or wrong, both found a way to survive yet on different philosophical sides. In what I've read previously, I got the feeling that they possibly could have been friends but because of what they went through, they can't.

Group B-21
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Group B-22

Group B-23

Like others have said, the rivalry between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru is the better one in the series. From what I've read about the other group, I'm having flashbacks of Matthew Broadrick and a computer asking "Shall...we...play...a...game?"

Group B-24

I'm all for Girl Power and whatnot but the Goddesses and Mara have absolutely NOTHING when compared to Amuro vs. Char. Like Key said this defines Mecha Rivalry. And it is one of the best!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I missed the previous round, so perhaps it's worth voting a little earlier this time.

Group B-17
vs.

Voting for: Digidestined vs. Myotismon

Sailor Moon's entry has much more nostalgia value, at least for me, but multiple arguments and statements in favor of Digidestined vs. Myotismon have convinced there is a better choice here. Either way, I wouldn't complain about any of the possible outcomes.

Group B-18
vs.

Voting for: Le Secret du Roi vs. Revolutionary Brethren

I don't expect this rivalry to win but, going by what others have already mentioned before, it at least deserves a show of support thanks to having a superior concept and more complexity.

Group B-19
vs.
Group B-6

Voting for: Goku vs. Vegeta

This was probably the best and most enduring rivalry in Dragon Ball Z, despite its inherent limitations. In contrast, the alternative is certainly classic because of its age but otherwise not particularly unusual.

Group B-20
vs.

Voting for: Nabuca vs. Shu

Group B-21
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi

The biggest issue I have with the Noir rivalry is how much of it relies on endless gunfights against dozens of faceless hitmen, without much elaboration on why they are out to get Mireille and Kirika outside of purely circumstantial details, ambiguous hints and cryptic references. At the beginning, we barely know that both of them are consistently being attacked by a third party with unknown intentions and little else.

True, the characters themselves attempt to find out what's really going on and thus they gradually manage to collect more information, but red herrings persist and the real motivations fueling this conflict largely remain unclear and open to interpretation for quite a long time. In my personal opinion, that makes for an intriguing mystery but not for a great rivalry.

Granted, Chloe's occasional appearances increasingly provide something of a real face to the opposition, but I would once again argue her presence makes for a better individual rather than collective rivalry. The episodes involving her were certainly more enjoyable than those involving fights versus countless nameless men in suits.

In the meanwhile, the ovearching secret organization that's pulling the strings, one way or another, generally continues being rather vague and mysterious. Of course, eventually the story does provide some tangible substance to Les Soldats as past secrets, conspiracies and the truth behind "Noir" are ultimately revealed, admittedly leading to interesting implications, but I feel the most important developments appeared way too late in the series for the purposes of this tournament.

Group B-22
vs.

Voting for: Capulets vs. Lord Montague

Group B-23
vs.

Voting for: Love Machine vs Kenji and Jinnouchis

Coin toss. Honestly, I feel this one could easily go either way.

Group B-24
vs.

Voting for: Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Group B-17
vs.

Sailor Moon's nostalgia value aside this Digimon rivalry is the real deal, unlike the show with the more mainstream popularity, this rivalry has some vocal and persuasive supporters.

Group B-18
vs.

Voting for: Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha
Am familiar with both rivalries and I found the Secret du Roi one to be underwhelming since the main focus of the show lies outside this rivalry and this rivalry really isn't clearly defined.

Group B-19
vs.
Group B-6

An enduring and iconic rivalry this constant struggle between two Dragon Ball Z titans does have it merits, despite its inherent limitations and trite nature. In contrast, the alternative is certainly classic, but I from I can peruse their weakness seem to be in the same vein but even more evident since this rivalry hasn't aged well.

Group B-20
vs.

Group B-21
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi

The biggest issue I have with the Noir rivalry is how much of it relies on endless gunfights against dozens of faceless rank-in-file men. This rivalry also isn't well defined, and it's not very convincing when we know little about the motivations of the other side. outside of purely circumstantial details, ambiguous hints and cryptic references. At the beginning, we barely know that both of them are consistently being attacked by a different group with intentions that are also left undefined.

Group B-22
vs.

Group B-23
vs.

Voting for: Love Machine vs Kenji and Jinnouchis

A bit campy, but endearing, this rivalry sits merrily at center stage of this movie in terms of importance.

Group B-24
vs.

The goddesses rivalry is a questionable inclusion, and this classic Gundam rivalry can at least hold it's own though a tad outdated and rarely straying from archetypes. However, I can forgive it since this rivalry only seems derivative because many others have followed in its footsteps.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
vs.

Sailor Scouts vs. Queen Beryl

Group B-18
vs.

Le Secret du Roi vs. Revolutionary Brethren I don't care about Naruto and Sasuke. Their rivalry is dragged on. It is boring.

Group B-19
vs.
Group B-6

Goku vs. Vegeta

Group B-20
vs.

Nabuca vs. Shu

Group B-21
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Noir vs. Soldats

Group B-22
vs.

Capulets vs. Lord Montague

Group B-23
vs.

Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru
This rivalry doesn't get old, unlike the rivalry between Naraku and Inuyasha, which I grew tired of.

Group B-24
vs.

Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
There always seems to be one group that I simply don't care too much for. This is that one. I nominated one of the matches so I should care... but I'm actually voting against that one, so meh. COmments will be light becasue they're mostly toss ups.

Group B-17
vs.

Group B-18
vs.

Group B-19
vs.
Group B-6

Group B-20
vs.

Group B-21
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir

Voting for: Noir vs. Soldats

Group B-22
vs.

Voting for: Kenji Harima vs. Haruki Hanai

Group B-23
vs.

Voting for: Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru
Here's the one. I can't believe I'm voting against Summer Wars but even when I nominated it I was admitting to myself LM was a program with limited intelligence and slightly faultless. The two sides are proper rivals rivals but it's a bit of a simple one really, like battling a creature. Like running from a bear, what are you going to do when you realize the bear can climb the tree?... What are you gonna do when you realize Love Machine can reset your networks security?

On the other hand, one of Ms. Rumiko Takahashi's greatest talents has been creating rivalries that you want to see played out. And this sibling rivalry is really central to Inuyasha's inner fight against his nature and Sesshomaru's fight against being... humane to humans. Getting a resolution to this conflict is the biggest motive I have for finally getting around to watching Final Act. It's not like there's really any doubt Naruku will be defeated or who ends up with who but there's still a bit of mystery as to how these two resolve their sibling rivalry and their battling inner natures.

Group B-24
vs.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Back in time, to vote. Why is it so cold here in Holland? I want to go back!

Group B-17
vs.
Voting for: Sailor Scouts vs. Queen Beryl
Eh... no idea.

Group B-18
vs.
Like others have stated, this rivalry is very well established and drawn out, a big driving force of the story. Soon after establishing Naruto's character, Sasuke is introduced. From day one there's tension in the air and their rivalry continues... maybe until eternity Wink?

Group B-19
vs.

Group B-20
vs.

Group B-21
vs.
Noir vs. Soldats, Noir
Voting for: Lelouch vs. Suzaku
This one was hard for me. I like the Code Geass rivalry better, because of his nature. These two best friends don't even know they're up against each other and have opposing philosophies. Well, at first they don't know, hehe. Their relationship therefore changes over time. I liked Noir as a series, but for a big part of it we don't even know what the Soldats group is or does.

Group B-22
vs.
Poor Harima. But the other rivalry blows him away.

Group B-23
vs.
Voting for: Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis

Group B-24
vs.
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam[/quote]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Changed my vote in B-21 from Noir vs Soldats to Lelouch vs Suzaku.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group B is now closed.

The vote total is our lowest ever - only 12 votes - but I'm sure that Hurricane Irene leaving a few million people powerless over the past couple of days is probably contributing some to that. I considered extending this round an extra day because of that and the fact that we we a day late in getting started (which always results in lower-than-normal vote totals for some reason), but then we'd just be backed up again next week. So I guess we'll just have to suffer the low vote total and wonder how much of a difference that made on the outcome. (I mean, B-23? Really?)

B-17: Digidestined vs. Myotismon nudges out Sailor Scouts vs. Beryl, 7-5.
B-18: Naruto vs. Sasuke eliminates Le Secret vs. Rev. Brethren ninja-style, 8-4.
B-19: Goku vs. Vegeta goes ape on Gatchaman vs. Galactor, 10-2.
B-20: Nabuca vs. Shu overwhelms Inuyasha vs. Koga, 11-1.
B-21: Lelouch vs. Suzaku defeats Noir vs. Soldats, 8-4.
B-22: Capulets vs. Lord Montague oust Kenji vs. Haruki, 10-2.
B-23: Love Machine vs. Kenji/Jinnouchis edges Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru, 7-5.
B-24: Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable blows out Three Goddesses vs. Mara, 12-0. FLAWLESS VICTORY!

B-17 was a bit of a surprise for me, but I have much more serious doubts about the worthiness of the B-23 winner - and that's based on seeing both participants. Next round I see two probable blow-outs and two probable tight matches; I will be particularly interested to see if the Digimon support holds against the Naruto twosome (which I think has more compelling supporting arguments than the Sailor Moon rivals did) and how people are going to vote in the DBZ vs. NTHT match, as both participants there have very strong arguments but for entirely different reasons.

Anyway, next Group is already set and will go up shortly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 38