• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This episode was a bit of shonen formula, hitting all the notes of New Enemy - Flashback - "I've Figured Out His Technique" - Heroes Win. But I was still thoroughly entertained. Great animation and execution can go a long way toward making genre tropes sing.

Also, I cannot fault an episode where the good guys win by summoning bunnies. What do they need such good eyesight for, anyway?

Quote:
Granny also uses her transformative powers to turn her grandson into Toji of all people, which…well, Takuma has no idea who Toji is, so it doesn't affect anything on a narrative level, but it's cool to see Toji, I guess?

I'm not a manga reader but I have to imagine this is setting up for Fake Toji to have a confrontation with Megumi. Takuma just got steamrolled on so I don't think we're meant to think he's gonna be Grandma and Grandson's main opponent.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
For a second I thought it was Toji but aged and that was the twist. Then he would need to somehow survive to hole Gojo made. The elder reminded me of a younger Netero while child Gojo was voiced by Killua. Coincidencia? Or not?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
Either I missed something, or the show doesn't really give a reason why Mechamaru didn't just send his ghost thing ahead of time to warn them about Shibuya? He said he made it to activate when this particular thing happened, but why not give them the heads up?
Mechamaru was under a Binding Vow with Getwo's crew. Reneging on that deal has terrible consequences for both of them. He needed to be freed from that to avoid consequences and also to have Mahito fix his body. Once that deal is nulled, he immediately tries and fails to contact Gojo. The earpiece is a failsafe that only activates upon his death so as not to break his vow.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I am gonna give something to the series:

Non-Geto and Geto actually have different personalities, thus, if you were obserband you could predict that something weird was going on.

A good plot twist is one the public can predict, however, I thought it would be something bigger, like Gojo being the one controlling Geto, since non-Geto, Gojo and Patch Boy have the same personality I said "I don't think the author is going to use the same Urahara personality 3 times", alas, I was wrong, he did.

Regardless, one can like or hate the replacement, but, it was not something that came from nowhere.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:54 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't really try to think about the details of the cursed energy stuff. Maybe I'm not giving it enough credit, but it mostly sounds like vague atmospheric mumbo jumbo, with a lot of shallow analogies to common mathematical structures. I mostly checked out when Gojo started spamming words about his survival/new attack, and just kind of summarized it in my head as 'Oh he survived with uhh some kind of reverse cursed heal thing; and has a fwd attack; and a reverse attack he couldnt do before; and a super secret attack where he mashes them together. And he likes imaginary numbers. OK'

That cracked me up. A solid point that a lot of the manga readers make as well and I whole heartedly agree with you.

Get ready to scratch your head more. 1/3rd will make since, the other you will have to reread and ask questions, the final third will never make sense.

Gege did a good job creating the battle system and rules, but should have either simplified them or found a better way to explain them.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:36 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Between the reviews for this, Bleach, the latest Demon Slayer season, heck, certain episodes of MHA during the first arc of the last season, I can see why some people are getting upset. It seems like ANN critics have either started being harsher on these big Shonen action titles, or it’s all a coincidence. If all it takes to pull you out of a show is a fight with side villains, you’re in the wrong genre.

Seriously. I have a feeling this guy isn’t going to like this arc since it’s mostly 1v1 shonen fights. I mean… that’s why it’s hype. But if this stuff doesn’t get you going, perhaps this genre simply isn’t for you. The Shibuya Incident arc is hyped for a reason but this reviewer is being a mighty contrarian. Rolling Eyes
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well it seems the series is now all-in on the typical shonen battle formula but at least here, they dont go out of their way to explain their powers to the enemy... *cough*Bleach*cough*.

Bringing back Toji is definitely an inevitable set-up to a face-off reunion with Megumi which is also further evident by the shadowy figure Megumi seems to be facing in the OP.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:59 am Reply with quote
With how many characters have already been esablished and more or less developed, I really don't get why they keep throwing new NPC villains I couldn't care any less about and dedicate multiple episodes to them. It's making this arc feel bloated, at least for now
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
With how many characters have already been esablished and more or less developed, I really don't get why they keep throwing new NPC villains I couldn't care any less about and dedicate multiple episodes to them. It's making this arc feel bloated, at least for now

Ever heard of wanting to make the story more realistic and expand it?

In your opinion, a plan that requires the capture of the strongest sorcerer in the world doesn't involve at least ten characters, some of whom are very interested in his disappearance?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:55 am Reply with quote
I don't mind the extra characters, but agree with him that they feel like extras, kind of thrown in just to give the good guys someone to overcome. It would have been nice to introduce these baddies a bit earlier and expand on who they are a bit.

Though, that said, the bunny fight was entertaining.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:43 am Reply with quote
Guy Tizio wrote:
In your opinion, a plan that requires the capture of the strongest sorcerer in the world doesn't involve at least ten characters, some of whom are very interested in his disappearance?

But then you should make them more interesting, I guess. Like that locust thing... was really pointless (the ghosting made it worse admittedly). And the guy in the last episode wasn't much better unfortunately. It's still pretty early in the arc and I'm enjoying it (albeit less than the previous one for now), I'm just not as engaged as I was with season one that introduced characters in a similar fashion.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
Guy Tizio wrote:

But then you should make them more interesting, I guess. Like that locust thing... was really pointless (the ghosting made it worse admittedly). And the guy in the last episode wasn't much better unfortunately. It's still pretty early in the arc and I'm enjoying it (albeit less than the previous one for now), I'm just not as engaged as I was with season one that introduced characters in a similar fashion.

The locust was just to show how strong Yuji had become.

The guy from the last episode lamneo has a backstory behind it and a convincing context.

Did you want it to last for three episodes maybe?

The purpose was clear:

Destroy the veil, but the veil is watched, whoever looks at it has reasons to want to get rid of Gojo, clash, one enemy is defeated, but the other has a surprise in store that could have unexpected effects. ...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there’s no winning because if you stop to give all these villains backstory or development you’ll have people say the pacing is too slow or that the author is wasting his time on these no-names.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Yeah, there’s no winning because if you stop to give all these villains backstory or development you’ll have people say the pacing is too slow or that the author is wasting his time on these no-names.

This is so key and I'm glad you brought it up. Too much heavy character development on every little thing, will kill your story before it takes off. Jupiter's Legacy Netflix is a perfect example of this. The comic book version told the story much faster, one might say too fast, but I enjoyed it more than the tv series. All the creator had to do was find the perfect balance.

But the creator was banking on that they were going to be green lit a season 2 and old fans plus new viewers would hold on until then. BIG CAN OF NOPE!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
To cut in the other direction: I could have done without most of the locust fight. Would have been fine with just some brief narrative description implying the locust is stronger than anything we've seen Yuji beat before, only for Yuji to one-shot it and move rapidly on. Their fight was by a significant margin the least interesting part of this season so far, to me (and dropping it could have made room to develop one of the other secondary villains a bit more!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 58