• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: EX-ARM

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
The review is your magnum opus. Never change.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:59 am Reply with quote
I am sincerely impressed by the fact that you actually put out the work to make this. Sure, a generator is likely to be involved but... still. At this point, these are the Chainsawman of ANN reviews.
Malsang

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The puzzle is more entertaining than the actual show lmao
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your service Nick. I was mildly amused by your descent into madness
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Well... ideally, Braille could be read with the tip of the nose. It might be the one literal instance of putting one's nose to the grindstone.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I still believe this show's biggest victims are the duo that worked on the manga. It HAS to be soul crushing to have your art showcased in such a manner. I hope it doesn't impact their careers in the future and they get another anime adaptation down the line where they can actually get some royalties and feel the many hours spent drawing the manga were worth it.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I would say that tye social experiment was actually successful.
You somehow managed to retain you sanity even aftee being exposed to this new form of psicological torture, you almost break on episodes 10 and 11 though.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if I would be that insulted by Ex-arms, I feel like both redo healer and pedophile isekai are both more insulting to... humanity, for lack of a better word, than Ex-arms, and that's just this season. Ex-arms was obviously produced with a bare minimum of budget, so other big failure like promise neverland S2 probably sucked more money.

More than that it probably will be able to teach some lessons, from an animation point of view since it tried to use mo-cap and live action director, and that was clearly not a good idea. But this means that it can be studied to understand why it was a bad idea, or at least illustrate what not to do.
Rogural

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Going to have to limbo hard under the low bar that Ex-Arm set for bad anime.
Given the conclusion I had to do some research on the ending of the manga and was sort of shocked.
spoiler[As far as I can tell, the big boss man never died and certainly wasn't in a plane/helicopter crash. The Doctor wasn't the one who went all Ex-Arm eye, it was a completely different character they were just too lazy to introduce, and the conversation she had with Minami was also a completely different character they just couldn't be bothered writing in.]
It's not the first time they did it, but hey, at least like this is sort of sign that the horror will never repeat as they've written themselves out of being able to do a sequel. Still I can't help but feel a little horrified at what the manga creator must be feeling seeing his work not only visually butchered but also content cut and frankenstein'd.

Truly Ex-Arm was a once in a lifetime extinction event. We survived the war that was declared. And who knows, maybe I'm the idiot for actually paying attention or trying to make sense of this mess.
LightningComet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I will concede that there are other animation works that I would definitely find more insulting based on their subject matter and/or the way they handle said ideas (Redo of Healer and Promare come to mind), but I absolutely agree that EX-ARM's anime adaptation really is just a giant middle finger to the auteurs trying to get their work circulated. Frankly speaking, I firmly believe that this doesn't deserve to exist.

That said, I also think the saddest part is that this actually paid off for the EX-ARM manga; I certainly had never heard of it before this trainwreck of capitalist ideology was unleashed upon the world, and now the manga is at least being praised for its artwork if nothing else. I am already of the belief that most anime adaptations of manga or LNs that are produced do nothing more than advertise the source material, and EX-ARM may just be the epitome of that.

I'm of the opinion that adaptations should stand on their own merit, and a good example of what I mean would be the adaptation work of director Kazuhiro Furuhashi. Between Dororo and Rurouni Kenshin, basically all of his non-original directorial efforts serve to elevate the effectiveness of their respective source materials rather than detract from them, and they do this (obviously) by making changes, some subtle, some major. It's my belief that said changes end up improving the work or at the very least make them more marketable to a contemporary audience, and while this will inevitably upset fans of the original sources, I think it presents said fans with the opportunity to become a bit more open-minded, just like the creative team itself, and that's always a good thing.

If EX-ARM decided to take its story in a wildly different direction and not settle for just being a poorly-made advertisement, then I would definitely think more highly of it. What we got, however, is an encapsulation of everything wrong with why anime adaptations are made in the first place: corporate greed combined with neither creative/artistic vision for the screen as a medium nor even the most fleeting desire to entertain the audience. Through some combination of greed, producer negligence, and staff incompetence, we, as a community, have been given something that should make us scream, "We deserve better."
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hats off to Nick for these write-ups (and that one crossword puzzle)! Even when I couldn't be bothered to watch another moving frame of this show, I kept coming back each week to read these reviews.

ryanvamp wrote:
I still believe this show's biggest victims are the duo that worked on the manga. It HAS to be soul crushing to have your art showcased in such a manner.

This right here. I wouldn't wish this sort of adaptation on any author/artist.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
if there is a bright spot it is this thank god go hands is gona be dead/broken and not messing up CLAMP
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
That was rather an abrupt ending. At least it's over. I did get a good laugh out of the Doctor's reaction to learning the guy behind it all wasn't dead. Long static shot on her console, then suddenly her lollipop drops onto the desk. Laughing Given the lack of facial expressions beyond dull surprise, this was probably harder for them to animate than showing her face.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, this means the end for Crunchyroll originals. Further proof that Crunchyroll should just license anime.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Hopefully, this means the end for Crunchyroll originals. Further proof that Crunchyroll should just license anime.

Hey, Tonikaku and Tower of God worked good enough. And I still have hope for Spider.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12