• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Suspends Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Production

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
A good idea. Why would anyone buy these upscales of SD anime on BD?

Because they generally look fantastic.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, they have a million other DBZ releases going on at the same time. This was obviously a long way coming.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
Quote:
"due to technical challenges of restoring from the original film frame by frame, we are unable to continue these releases by way of this process

Code for: Not enough sales to commit to a expensive process that uses resources (people's time) that can be used for other projects.

It is a tad sad though. I was planing on getting the BDs when they went to 39 episode season sets in 1-1.5 years.

This seems more legit an explanation than your usual cancellation excuse. Producing BDs are a pain in the butt both production- and cost wise, but even more so when you are tacking a remaster project you yourself are tackling on top of that.

It's important to keep in mind that unlike other remasters (i.e. Utena, Akira), Japan has nothing to do with this one, so FUNimation is fronting the costs and work on the process. Tons of time, effort, and cash goes into the process alone, and likely, FUNimaiton thought they had enough money on them to pull it off and would be able to make it back in with the typically big DBZ sales numbers. While lower sales could be an ulterior reason (doubt it, but possible), it sounds like FUNimation got in way over their head. But, no shame; BD production is still no walk in the park for even Hollywood outfits, and remastering's even tougher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:
had no intention of buying these as i have no nostalgic love for DBZ and the orange bricks ,cut to 16:9 and everything, are good enough for me.

Still shocked to see this though as Funimation continue to seemingly shoot themselves in the foot over and over again recently. Fans will not be pleased.

Seems Sentai might well be the new market leader by the end of 2012/early 2013 should this court case go their way.

Doing it frame by frame is a lot of money that no regular fan will buy. What's the point of releasing something if they can't even cover the cost of the restoration?

But they did start releasing them. Its all very easy to say in hindsight theat its too expensive and yes you probs have guessed that before but the fact is they started released them and have let alot of fans down. Something Funimation has been doing alot of recently.

i understand the decision to do so completly but they should have known that the DBZ demand had ben more than catered for and quite frankly this was way too soon. Should have waited 5 more years and then these releases would have made alot of sense.

Im not fanboyish in nature but buisness wise this is another mistake from Funimation and one that will hurt them support wise.

future wise i hope they lose the court case and then get back into gear licensing with Funico as a plan to cement a right now unstable position up top.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Err...because they were restoring it frame by frame instead of just taking the easy path and upscaling like they do with other releases?
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why would anyone buy these upscales of SD anime on BD?

They are new transfers from 16mm film, which has somewhat more resolution than 1080p. Why are you calling them upscales?
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
and here i was thinking to get rid of my orange bricks pfft i had a hunch something might happen and was right damn no suprise with funi when it comes to dbz i bet in a few years itll just be downloadable from online in HD
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

My brain is melting and exiting through my ear...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
For the people who complain that DB/Z is released too many times:

What do you think is paying for the other Funimation licenses? DBZ. So shut your pieholes and thank Goku for your Princess Jellyfish.

Exactly.

The only difference here is that this version was taking an insane amount of work for what they were getting. If continued releases of more economical version are viable, I say go for it.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not worried. The Dragon Ball series have been remastered before. Including the movies and specials.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

What gave you the impression these were simple upscales?

These were frame-by-frame from the original 16mm film.

Even when a BD is actually an upscale, a piece of expensive studio equipment that isn't required to render the result in real time and going to give a much better result than a $10 chip in a DVD player which is required to.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

What do you think is paying for the other Funimation licenses? DBZ. So shut your pieholes and thank Goku for your Princess Jellyfish.
Don't forget the fanservice shows (*Cough*Sekirei, Master of Martial Hearts*Cough*). Though you're right.

I do joke about how them milking the series, and releasing it OVER 9,000 times, but I'm never serious. They aren't forcing people to buy DBZ every time. Did they force people to buy ALL the singles, VHS tapes, orange bricks, etc.? No.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

LOL!
thank you goku, I am not a DBZ fan however I am happy it sells for them (most of the time).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
In one way, I feel bad for anyone that bought the previous released DBZ Blu-Rays, since now they'll have a very incomplete set.

But in another, with knowing how these were being produced, I'm glad Funimation has decided to stop production. If it's been that costly, they can instead use the funds that were devoted to that project towards other releases.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
In one way, I feel bad for anyone that bought the previous released DBZ Blu-Rays, since now they'll have a very incomplete set.

But in another, with knowing how these were being produced, I'm glad Funimation has decided to stop production. If it's been that costly, they can instead use the funds that were devoted to that project towards other releases.

Ok why is everyone assuming that they are just not stalled in terms of remastering the show, and that they are not simply pushing the release back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6