• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: How do you prefer to watch anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I did not answer the format question, because it doesn't apply to me. Other than that, I usually watch my anime on the TV, on DVD, and I usually also just watch them when I find time to from my collection. I don't marathon, and I don't watch episodes as they come out.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't care either way on the whole sub vs. dub issue. But I do watch anime dubbed more often than not. I'd also rather see it on TV, so I can save some money on buying this stuff. But that's mainly because I've been burned in the past buying something I thought would be good but turned out to be utter crap (like the original Appleseed OAV). I'll leave it off at that since I don't want to start any flame wars. But someone will (someone always does) and this topic will end up locked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I watch anime on my computer also because the monitor's resolution (1440×900) is much higher than my 15 year old TV's (PAL=768×576).
I suppose I'll use my TV more often when I buy a new HDTV one (1920×1080), whenever that will be.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I just about exclusively watch my anime dubbed, unless there's no dub available or the dub is an utter detriment to the series; in fact, I've utterly ignored the existence of Japanese audio on just about every DVD I've purchased. (I'd say I don't watch "bad" dubs, but I feel like crappy shows should only be watched with equally-crappy dubs to get the whole experience. Razz) I'm one of the seemingly very few whose primary source of anime remains linear TV; I don't watch a whole lot to begin with, so [adult swim] and Sci-Fi cover most of my needs. What I don't watch on TV, I'm usually downloading fansubbed (or occasionally *cough* dual-audio). I make it a point to try and buy everything I download that I wind up enjoying (provided it's been released here, of course), and I've wound up buying most of the stuff I first saw legally on TV to boot. I much prefer watching anime on a TV, since that lets me curl up and get comfy on my couch or bed.

As far as frequency goes, since most of my anime-watching is done via TV, I do one or two episodes a week; those I'm not watching via TV are usually coming as part of a discussion group, so it's a similar frequency there. Hell, the closest thing to a marathon I think I've come is my current drive of two episodes of .hack//SIGN a day...though considering I've had that sitting around for about four years without watching it, I don't know that it really qualifies as a marathon. Razz
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I wrote that I preferred fansubs to commercial releases... but I own a LOT of anime on dvd. But, the sad truth is that, often, fansubs will go out of their way to keep the jokes accurate and explain them. Often, commercial releases will totally change the meaning of the joke. Like in Hanadan, there's a joke about Tsukasa using "boku" instead of his thuggish "ore" and the commercial release made the joke about a chef instead.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
I wrote that I preferred fansubs to commercial releases... but I own a LOT of anime on dvd. But, the sad truth is that, often, fansubs will go out of their way to keep the jokes accurate and explain them. Often, commercial releases will totally change the meaning of the joke. Like in Hanadan, there's a joke about Tsukasa using "boku" instead of his thuggish "ore" and the commercial release made the joke about a chef instead.

I'm the opposite. I don't really mind if a joke gets changed for the audience because I'm a firm believer that if it needs explanation, then it wasn't funny. Yet another reason why I prefer to get my hands on the legal DVDs.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I wrote that I prefer fansubs because I prefer some things about them, most things really except for the lack of a dub. I watch most anime from dvds because it's got a dub, but otherwise I'm cool.

As far as TV vs computer, I thought this question needed a "my tv is hooked up to my computer" option. I have a TV, a reasonably decent 42" 1080 p one, but like any sane person I have it hooked up to my PC.

What I like about fansubs is:
Karaoke - it rocks
h264/mkv encoding - it's small and high quality, I rip my dvds to h264 for viewing
Translation notes - I really like these for the subtitled version of the show. I think some of the fansub groups have done a really good job with them, though I'm certain there are bad examples as well. I particularly liked the Spice & Wolf fansub I watched which had the notes about the Light Novel version which cleared up some confusion on my part about the show.

To some extent dvds have the last but I find this to be less true more often than not. One thing that DVDs can do on the first option (I know they can't support Karaoke easily or at all) is start including both the romanized japanese & english subtitles on the openings/endings. I really don't like it when a show doesn't ever show the romanized version.

If download to own were as high quality as the good fansubs and didn't have DRM I would actually prefer it to DVD, but as it exists now it's not even close.
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
DVD and dubbed. If I wanted to read, I'd go get a book.
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
scortia wrote:

I'm the opposite. I don't really mind if a joke gets changed for the audience because I'm a firm believer that if it needs explanation, then it wasn't funny. Yet another reason why I prefer to get my hands on the legal DVDs.

Greed is right, if you have to explain a joke then it's not really funny any more.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
One thing that DVDs can do on the first option (I know they can't support Karaoke easily or at all) is start including both the romanized japanese & english subtitles on the openings/endings. I really don't like it when a show doesn't ever show the romanized version.
Wait, a number of shows coming out in the last 2-3 years have had romanized Japanese lyrics for the openings and closings. I've seen this on several R1 company discs.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say that wasn't true, they do usually alternate between romanized and english translation, but there are recent examples where they don't alternate and stuck with the english translation, which is why I said what I did. I would prefer that they have both at the same time as an option. I think I may have seen one show that had this... was it Haruhi?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Subbed w/DVD or fansubs.

I'm not a dub fan,though I do enjoy them from time to time.I do keep up with all the new releases as well.I watch them from my laptop,which is connected to my 3,50 inch HDTV's.

Panoramic anime. Laughing
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I prefer fansub's and usually wait untill shows are finished,then,watch like 3 episodes per day. Oh,and I really prefer a T.V.,but i usually just use my laptop(I do own a few titles on DVD. DB/Z/GT are the bulk of them). Cool

OH YEAH!!! Almost forgot... I...HATE... DUBS!!! Evil or Very Mad
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
My preference for dub or sub is a bit complicated. For me, it depends on the show. Whichever version I've seen first will be the one I usually prefer, just because that's what I've grown accustomed to. The only series I've ever really preferred as subs are Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star, but that's just because I watched them on YouTube before the dubs came out. Other than that, I tend to just watch the dub, since I'm familiar with a lot of the English voice actors. However, if dubs didn't exist, I wouldn't be devastated. I would watch it all the same.

Oh, I almost forgot! I like my anime on DVD, on a TV. Marathons are okay on occasion, mostly if I'm borrowing a series from a friend and they want it back quickly. Also if I find myself addicted to or mesmerized by a show.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Language: I was born a dub fan, and I'll die a dub fan. If I want to read anime, that's what manga is for. I see no reason why people should hate dubs, especially the older fans who started watching anime back when most dubs were edited to hell. They've long since gotten better, with the voice actors becoming the center of attention at cons, so for an anime fan to hate dubs because most of the older ones were edited is like a sandwich connoisseur refusing to eat turkey BLTs just because the one he ate at Al's Greasy Spoon back in 1978 tasted like ass. And then you have the elitist weeaboos who view Japanese as this Holy Language...seriously, why can't they just accept dubs? **facepalm** But in all cases, that language question seems flawed on its face--most of the people who answered "subbed" probably just watch fansubs. If it were targeted to people who buy DVDs, I'm sure dubs would win out.

Format: Whatever's available to me, but since it only allowed one answer, I voted DVD, because I ultimately like having anime in physical form, and I primarily buy DVDs and download/stream second. You can't put a video file on your shelves, nor can you give someone a link to a YouTube or Veoh stream or an anime episode on iTunes for Christmas or their birthday. The only time I download anime is whenever I come across an old show that's no longer in print or is unlicensed but also an old show that nobody wants to license.

How I watch: For DVDs and TV airings I use a 15" LCD TV, since they don't have any screen glare like CRTs do, and everything just looks better on a flat-panel TV. (Not to mention they save space.) With video streams and downloads, I watch those on my desktop PC.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4