• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GW Bush Campaign Ad Includes... Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:41 am Reply with quote
Doubt the President would be sued. But I'd laugh my arse off if he did though. I can believe him using anime in his ad. And it seems it has gotten peoples attention. This is a good example what goes on in America. People pirate each others stuff and they dont care as long as they profit or benefit off it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:56 am Reply with quote
BERSERK EVA wrote:
This is a good example what goes on in America.

And...everywhere else in the world.

BERSERK EVA wrote:
People pirate each others stuff and they don't care as long as they profit or benefit off it.

See also: Hong Kong anime bootlegs. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otakuworldwide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:26 am Reply with quote
um, Hi lol i dont know if this will get threw or not anyways, first and formost, forgive my spelling it is super late at night and i just came back from watchin Spider-man 2, (hope universal thankz me for the plug in) anyways, yeah i check out that ad and yes, it is stupid that Bush used wolf wood in that ad, and from what i think, there is a whole hep of truble coming to bushies way, if that ad is in the air, which i do not know if it is, or if it gets to the hands of genoen or whatever they are called know, anyways, bush does not know how to please people i bet for who ever is an anime fan out there, and was going to vote for him this coming nov. is problraly not. lol im not voting for him. to me it just seems that bush doesnt know what is up, lol i dont even now what is up, it is late, anyways everyone should see the ad, and Moores new movie to see how stupid the pres is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:47 am Reply with quote
I hate to tell you all this, but despite it's current growth in terms of pop culture, anime is still very niche. Geneon isn't going to be suing Bush anytime soon and it's not going to turn into a whole heap of trouble.

Fact of the matter is most people (me included) probably just don't care.
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
I can't tell if I should be laughing or wincing in pain. Ah no...it's pain...definitely pain.

Anyone else notice that the eyes look like Yugi's alternate personality? Yugioh + Trigun = Yakuza. Why didn't I see the connection before?
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:19 am Reply with quote
What we should be asking now is if this is a real ad or did someone hack their website and alter the original ad? As my wife pointed out, it would be a lot more convincing/powerful to use a real picture rather than a poor composite of anime characters. Here's a vote that despite how disturbing the thought of that ad is, it's probably a fake, despite coming from their main page.
xxmiyuxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:51 am Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
I hate to tell you all this, but despite it's current growth in terms of pop culture, anime is still very niche. Geneon isn't going to be suing Bush anytime soon and it's not going to turn into a whole heap of trouble.

Fact of the matter is most people (me included) probably just don't care.

Ain't nothin gonna come out of this. Except for a bad taste left in my mouth from Bush. Not that I'm in to politics either. I will most likely forget about it in 5 minutes and when voting time comes, i will probably forget about that as well....i am very forgetful. I live my life blissfully ignorant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Mattousai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
wow... that was just amazing Shocked

the best part is that the RNC thinks that they are making ads that look legitimate.
Writer1520
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:34 am Reply with quote
Why oh why did Bush soil the name that is Wolfwood. This crime should not go unpunished. I remember some one saying that anime is not a major thing in pop culture yet. I feel though it has a large enough following though to hurt Bush the votes get as close as they did last time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Poppycock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quote
How dare Bush make Anime look bad!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tamakun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Anyone else notice that the eyes look like Yugi's alternate personality? Yugioh + Trigun = Yakuza. Why didn't I see the connection before?

Yeah, I went and looked at it a bit... yep, those are Yugi's eyes on Wolfwood's body. O.O

Dubya has some enemies in the anime community now...
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:31 am Reply with quote
I love how this election has boiled down to a battle of nit-picking each other's equally vauge comments. Oh wait, that's every election. Taking a stance on actual issues loses votes, canidates have to invent issues, my bad.

Anyway, I am sick of the overuse of the word "terrorist". A criminal is a criminal. I'm suprised that Iraq was not mentioned. Oh well, I guess no one wants to hear about how taking out Iraq is actually strenghtening Al Queda and various other muslim fundementalist groups.

Anyway the Wolfwod picture looks like someone's 12 year old kid draw it by looking at that promotional picture. In conclusion, Bush is useing fan art to bash John Kerry.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jlew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quote
I don't see anything wrong with them using it. Alot of people use anime characters without permission on their websites and in their advertisements. Some of you will just take any chance you can get to attack Bush...and that's even funnier than the ad. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Otakuworldwide, I'm an anime fan and I will proudly be voting to re-elect him. Cool
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
This is the other sides experiments with "fan art"

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=11589_Welcome_to_Bizarro_World
Writer1520
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:32 pm Reply with quote
jlew wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with them using it. Alot of people use anime characters without permission on their websites and in their advertisements. Some of you will just take any chance you can get to attack Bush...and that's even funnier than the ad. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Otakuworldwide, I'm an anime fan and I will proudly be voting to re-elect him. Cool

Yeah but bush is a retard, so anytime i can make it more painfully clear is a good thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7