• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prosecutor Alludes to Manga in UK Student's Murder Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Um, the Bible example is totally asinine.

Yes, it is. That was sort of the whole point of the Bible-related remarks. Irony by comparison.

Didn't get it? Well, you just sit right there and think about it, and we'll wait for you to catch up. Don't worry about us, we're patient.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Yeah, I wouln't throw The Sun in as a source, it's barely passes "toilet paper" grade, nevermind Newspaper.

As crap as the sources used are, from perusing Google News it appears better UK sources are now taking up the manga aspect of the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Um, the Bible example is totally asinine.

Yes, it is. That was sort of the whole point of the Bible-related remarks. Irony by comparison.

Didn't get it? Well, you just sit right there and think about it, and we'll wait for you to catch up. Don't worry about us, we're patient.

- abunai

Thanks, that's so considerate of you.

These threads always descend into "They can pry my Tokyopop from my cold, dead hands".
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Knowing more details would likely just make the whole thing just that much more depressing in general.

Yes, you are correct. This case has been very complicated and disturbing. As mrsatan (whoa, there's some irony considering what they were reporting today) mentioned, this has been a big news story here in the Seattle area for nearly a year now. This is the first time any specific details about the crime scene have been released by the prosecutor's office as far as I remember. Not that I have been actively following the case, but it's hard to ignore.

The manga connection as well as the satanic ritual part were mentioned on the news report I heard on the radio this morning while driving in to work. I wondered if it would end up on ANN and sure enough here it is, but at least on the radio news story the manga (or as they said, "Japanese comics") thing was just mentioned in passing and they weren't actively drawing any conclusions.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
As usual, they are just grasping at straws...

True, with any case of murder I would think that it would be hard to prove guilt without some sort of evidence. In this case it seems like they have a rather solid case against the roommate as it is, I don't see why they needed to throw in, "Oh, and he reads gory manga." Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedTail

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
I don't think "manga is being blamed". the prosecutor puts it forward as evidence of intent.

Say I kill my roommate by poison. If the police search my apartment and find dozens of books where someone poisons their victims, it'll be introduced as evidence of forethought.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

Legal definition is "malice aforethought" and is a condition that must be met when trying to convict someone of more serious murder charges (in the US, first degree/premeditated murder). The books are a good starting point in proving that the accused planned the murder out ahead of time. The prosecutor is totally in bounds bringing this up.

We all love anime and manga. Why else would we be reading this site? But let's not put blinders on every time our passion gets tied to something gruesome like this. The book may have been a source of inspiration, but it didn't kill that girl.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
As usual, they are just grasping at straws...

True, with any case of murder I would think that it would be hard to prove guilt without some sort of evidence. In this case it seems like they have a rather solid case against the roommate as it is, I don't see why they needed to throw in, "Oh, and he reads gory manga." Confused

Well, I'm not a lawyer but it seems logical to me to throw in anything you can. It's not going to hurt so every little thing you can add to make him seem guilty it's probably a good idea. It's just a good idea even if you have a strong case already.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Yeah, I wouln't throw The Sun in as a source, it's barely passes "toilet paper" grade, nevermind Newspaper.

As crap as the sources used are, from perusing Google News it appears better UK sources are now taking up the manga aspect of the case.
As true as Conan-san's description of The Sun is, (one doesn't "read" The Sun, as most Sun "readers" can't), these days the Telegraph isn't much better, and I have been following this story as the family lives not far away from mine, so it's in the local news as well as the national. This is the first time I've heard that assertion about any manga involved. It's looking like the prosecution clutching at every straw to make the charges stick. I hope that one gets the push off, by the jury, it deserves, It's back to the badger set for me if it doesn't. Rolling Eyes
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
The Italian prosecutor might be trying to go for life imprisonment and is using premeditation as a reason. In other words, the accused were mimicking the manga to commit the crime. That would mean possibility of parole after 26 years in prison. Basically, the prosecutor is trying to throw the book at them. (pun intended)

Hopefully, the prosecutor can make it stick.

You guys need to not be so defensive whenever a crime is linked to manga and see the bigger picture.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
It does seem, from what little info we have, that it atleast COULD be part of the case. That alone is enough reason to introduce it.

I mean sure, I don't think playing a game will make teenagers kill people. But if you play grand theft auto one day, change your computer password to "killpedestrians" and then run down 10 people the next day with your car, odds are, the game MAY have influenced you.
KannaLilly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Gah! It reminds me of the 'manga murders' in Belgium! Shocked
Okay, people try to blame murder on anime all the time, ever since that creepy lolicon fanatic made the meaning of 'Otaku' turn sour.
But instead of manga influencing these thoughts and behaviors, isn't it more likely that the thoughts and behaviors influenced the books they read?
And also, I don't really think it's acceptable to say that it's the manga's fault if it's the CONDITIONS of the murder. The fact that she comited murder has little to do with the manga. The conditions, however, might.
Again, Belgium manga murders. (okay, so it was murder. only ONE) Someone left two notes that said 'Watashi wa KIRA dess'. that isn't even the right spelling! The guy was obviously metally unsable, but he left notes, so it MUST be Death Note's fault.

It's not that the prosocuters are saying so, it's just what the general public interprits.
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Hrmm.. kinda odd to see this case popping up again, here of all places. I saw a "Dateline 48 Hours Mystery" on this case but I can't recall them mentioning anything about manga during that story. Honestly though it seems impossible for a murder case involving people under 30 to be investigated without trying to allude to horror movies, heavy metal/rap music, video games, etc. With the size of my horror movie collection, I'm surprised I haven't been investigated for anything yet Razz
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Well thats interesting....

I didn't even know there was a Shin Maiou Dante xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
Here's some update after TEN long years: While 風我明 was clearly a coined pen name, the cover of Shin Maō Dante did not have official romanization or furigana of his name (I couldn't locate any copyright page, legal or scanlation), so it was natural for many sources back then romanizing the given name 明 as "Akira," the most common way (and the most widely known, thanks to the groundbreaking movie) to spell this kanji. There had been different sources saying Sollecito's password for his computer was either "akirafuga" or "akira fudo."

However, in the second -- and final to this day -- of Fūga's work Blood Boy in 1997, it turned out the kanji 明 was spelled as "Aki" right on the cover. There had been discussions over that more famous manga/anime movie that got "involved" by the press like The Sun, but I can't locate the original article either; Escenic Content Engine (.ece) pages common for British news websites don't get archived as easily as HTML.

If I were trying to link the case with manga/anime, I'd rather point to the far more famous movie (which was no less violent) rather than a manga that never got an overseas release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2