• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good Dubs???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
why only watch dubbs????

Because reading your tv when you are trying to enjoy a show is a pain. Also, listening to people speak in a language I don't comprehend does little for me. A good dub will only rephrase the dialougue slightly. So as far as I see it, it accomplishes almost the exact same thing as subs only with less effort from the watcher.
aniki21

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Some of my worst dubs include:
Kare Kano
Really? I quite liked that one; after going back to the Japanese track I thought the English actors had a much better grasp of the characters than in the original. Liam O'Brien was especially well-suited to Asaba's sleazy tendancies.
Just my opinion, though.
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Though I haven't seen the Japanese version.
Vampie Hunter D: Blood Lust rocked.

When Meiyer Link speaks... Oh DUDE !
"Charlotte..." thats my favorite. Just very eerry but passionate yunno.

& And the Markus Brothers are awesome.
< CLAP-CLAP-CLAP > "Whats your name stranger?"

& D! "She doesnt know Meiyer like I do." (or to that effect)All monotone and badd*ss.

BUT...The Hand's voice ! The BEST ! (but i did hear the Japanese original of the HAND. Also Great !) "See. You're not such a bad guy...You just dress bad!"

ha!
later Arrow -13

ps.
on an aside though. I know Ninja Scroll in Japanese totally rules over the American dubbs! The US Jubei was like too GI.Joe Duke for me.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote
aniki21 wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
Kare Kano

Really? I quite liked that one; after going back to the Japanese track I thought the English actors had a much better grasp of the characters than in the original. Liam O'Brien was especially well-suited to Asaba's sleazy tendancies.
Just my opinion, though.

The acting and scripting was actually pretty good, however, I just personally don't like any of the dub voices. It takes away the sentiment that I get from the Japanese voices (especially Arima, he sounds WAY too old.)

On top of that, since I regard it as one of my favorite series, I tend to be more critical of the dubbing, but that doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't recommend it to others.

For instance, I said Rurouni Kenshin was one of the worst. But seeing as how it's my #1 series, I have higher standards. However, I still think it's decent for those who might prefer dubs over subs.

In the case of Kare Kano, I feel the same way. It's not that bad of a dub, and I would probably recommend anyone out there to go and buy it and watch the dub (if they don't like reading subs, of course.) But since I like it a whole lot, I would never let any of my friends borrow it unless they promised to watch it in Japanese, which more than likely wouldn't happen because I think they're too lazy to read the subs or really care about the actual voice quality.

Anyway, I have some pretty high standards, and Kare Kano does not fit them. But if you like it, you like it. Wink
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
the few shows I always watch dubbed when I have the option are Kare Kano, Nadesico...

and "the second part" in Chronicles of the Heroic Knight...sorry I just love their messed up accents
RX-78-2 Gundamu

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I have the chance I watch it subbed. In comparison, the subbed voices actually match up with there faces. It sounds better too. Im still having nightmares from the dubbed voice of Ryu from the original gundam....
Depression

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I think cowboy bebop is one of the few good dubs.

Yet I prefer to watch amine with subs because you can get more of a feel for it in the original Japanese. And less it lost in translation or rephrasing of the words because something could have important meaning to the story line. Yet when rephrased that meaning could be lost.

Quote:
it accomplishes almost the exact same thing as subs only with less effort from the watcher.

To J-Syxx watch them in subs may be more work but it is worth it maybe you should try it more often.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
before this turns into a sub vs. dub debate...

reasons for dubbed

subbed vs. dubbed
superdeformed

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quote
aniki21 wrote:
I'm not overly impressed with the Bebop dub... am i the only one? It's not bad, but I've heard better.

For instance, I thought the English voice track on RahXephon was outstanding, though. I'm quite a fan of Laura Bailey in Blue Gender as well, and even Eric Vale gets much better towards the end. I quite enjoyed the Abenobashi dub too.

I was horrified at SaiKano's dub, though. How can they all mispronounce Akemi?

I agree with you 100%.

Cowboy Bebop in japanese has this cool "beatnik/people fallowing their own paths/layed back" vibe that went along with the sound track and visuals. Where as the dub made it come off as some sort of "everyone is cool" cop show. Granted it's not the worse dub I've ever seen. But I hate how when people always bringing it up as a better in english than japanese in every dub vs. sub thing when the japanese vocal cast was just awesome. I guess this is a case where "ok" beats "really good".

El Hazard I thought was a good dub like 7 years ago when I first saw it and was still kind of new to anime. I just watched a few episodes of it a few weeks ago and I was shocked to find that it was down-right bad in most spots.

Most good dubs I have seen have never really added to an anime it merely got close to the original japanese soundtrack (now mind you i have heard bad japanese voice acting). But I there are a few that made a show funnier for reasons the original creators did not want to be funny (ex. Golden Boy or The Ultimate Teacher). But they are some dubs that were sooooo bad that they made some otherwise boring/bad anime funny when they were not to begin with.

Ah well. I'm a sub snob, so me liking anime is about as likly as Ann Frank liking Hitler.

As long as both formats are put out for people to watch what they perfer then all is well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
before this turns into a sub vs. dub debate...

reasons for dubbed

subbed vs. dubbed

Looking over the threads, I still stand behind the comments I've made. I've also looked over other comments made by posters, and while I'm not in complete agreement with Sword of Wheldon, he does raise several points that I'm more inclined to agree with. I can't agree with the laziness factor, but I do think that if it's within your ability to do so, you should watch/read etc. anything in it's original language to get as much out of it as you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote
You have to realize that watching the show subbed is watching a language you don't understand. That means you won't pick up on bad acting since you don't understand it.

As for good dubs.

I love the Bebop dub - they do a very good job of matching the characters to their original voices.

The Trigun dub does a good job from a VA standpoint, though I HATE how they edit out Millie using Sempai, since it's an integral part of the development those two ladies have.

The RahXephon dub does a wonderful job IMO - I like it almost as much as the original.

The Berserk dub is great, and on a side not I LOVE the outtakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
aniki21 wrote:
I'm not overly impressed with the Bebop dub... am i the only one? It's not bad, but I've heard better.

I agree with you 100%.

Cowboy Bebop in japanese has this cool "beatnik/people fallowing their own paths/layed back" vibe that went along with the sound track and visuals. Where as the dub made it come off as some sort of "everyone is cool" cop show. Granted it's not the worse dub I've ever seen. But I hate how when people always bringing it up as a better in english than japanese in every dub vs. sub thing when the japanese vocal cast was just awesome. I guess this is a case where "ok" beats "really good".

I regard Bebop as one of the best dubs I've heard. Not to say I prefer it English over Japanese. I really like the voice actors in each langauge (Hayashibara-sama being one of my favorites.)

The dub did exactly what you said in giving that "everyone is cool" feel, which is why I like it so much. The dub voices also did a good job (in my opinion) imitating that laid back and non-chalant feel from the original Japanese. That cool or laid back aura, whatever you want to call it, is easily brought out by the music anyway. So to me, the voices don't really matter (I like em' both Wink.)

The only problem I have is with people boasting the Bebop dub and saying Wendee Lee outperformed Megumi Hayashibara, which I simply feel is not the case. Both languages are equally well-done, and I feel they both deserve a round of applause.

I do really like this show in Japanese as well as English, but seeing as how I watch most anime subbed, I feel it's good to give my eyes a break from reading sometimes and just listen instead. Razz
monkeyDluffy4

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Ski wrote:
The Berserk dub is great, and on a side not I LOVE the outtakes.

"She wants you to stuff her like a Thanksgiving Turkey" Laughing

I liked the Cowboy Bebop dub because it seemed lighter and more carefree than the Japanese version. Some people would (and do) disagree, but my taste has always rested in being able to laugh at something. I do enjoy awesome animation and high emotions, but being able to laugh with the characters makes it (to me) that much more enjoyable.

I like the Tenchi Muyo! dub a lot too. True, Tenchi's voice was...odd, but I like it that way. I think your preference is based on what you saw first, and what you hold in your memory about a show. Since I saw Tenchi in English first, it's hard to hear it another way.

Also, the Bakuretsu/Sorceror Hunters dub is awesome for the sheer awful-ness of the acting. Hearing "This is bad" in Gateau's monotone voice made me laugh so much that I had to rewind and watch two minutes over, since I missed so much. Very Happy Sometimes, a bad dub is a good thing for all the wrong reasons.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:37 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

The only problem I have is with people boasting the Bebop dub and saying Wendee Lee outperformed Megumi Hayashibara, which I simply feel is not the case. Both languages are equally well-done, and I feel they both deserve a round of applause.

I do really like this show in Japanese as well as English, but seeing as how I watch most anime subbed, I feel it's good to give my eyes a break from reading sometimes and just listen instead. Razz

Faye's character never did much to me Hayashibara's voice got on my nervs at times, but I still think she's better in japanese than english. Razz

As for eyes getting sore from subtitles, mine really don't. Subtitles help me focus on a show a little more and most subtitles I just skip over since I understand basic phrases.

And for the dub-love who says you cannot judge a voice actors preformance without knowing the language. That's just BS. Emotion is not expressed with the words themself but the emotion added into them. There's style and rythem to spoken language, when someone acts poorly that rythem is off.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:47 am Reply with quote
The Pro Golgo 13 wrote:
Though I haven't seen the Japanese version.
Vampie Hunter D: Blood Lust rocked.

When Meiyer Link speaks... Oh DUDE !
"Charlotte..." thats my favorite. Just very eerry but passionate yunno.

& And the Markus Brothers are awesome.
< CLAP-CLAP-CLAP > "Whats your name stranger?"

& D! "She doesnt know Meiyer like I do." (or to that effect)All monotone and badd*ss.

BUT...The Hand's voice ! The BEST ! (but i did hear the Japanese original of the HAND. Also Great !) "See. You're not such a bad guy...You just dress bad!"

ha!
later Arrow -13

ps.
on an aside though. I know Ninja Scroll in Japanese totally rules over the American dubbs! The US Jubei was like too GI.Joe Duke for me.

Actually the English version was done before the Japanese version. English is the original language of the movie. I hear that the Japanese version is really hard to find anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4