• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gainax controversial stance on the industry and fansubs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gasteropod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Is that really so? Some of the fansubs I've watched included not only clarifications of cultural details, but translations of even minor background text, fitted into the animation itself. I find it hard to imagine a for-profit company putting that kind of love into their work unless they could get an exorbitant price for the result.

Yeah exactly, it was like that on the fansub of Paranoia Agent I streamed, there's no way the official DVD will have all those ace subs in it. (I haven't bought it so far because the UK version is censored, and the US one is out of print).

Also, the aforementioned Australian release of Stand Alone Complex, whilst being superior to the UK release, it has ugly stretched yellow subtitles which I found difficult to read, especially when they turned itallic. Uhhh.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
The way I read the statement was that he was saying the industry is doing just fine, and fansubs are an integral part of promoting the medium. That is why I will continue not buying DVDs and watching all my anime streaming and fansubbed! Thanks Hiroyuki Yamaga for your approval. It just feels nice to know that I'm contributing to the industry even though I still haven't spent a penny on it.

Also I think I'm a bigger fan than most of the rest who say they felt guilty and bought DVDs or collect shelves upon shelves of merchandise for status or too look better than me. I love the medium as much as the next guy, but my financial situation does and will not ever allow me for such an excess, maybe one day I'll buy some box sets for my kids to enjoy but its just not a reality now. Besides I hate dubs and hate waiting for the domestic releases.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Uhm.. dumb question.. Why don't the anime companies (creators, distrubutors, whatever) just hire the fansubbers? I mean, they're doing the work for free now, so getting paid even a little would be quite welcome I imagine. And the companies would profit too because they get quality translations in mere weeks instead of ages.

Because, to be quite frank, they suck.

There was a link posted a while back to a "documentary" on YouTube (actually a poorly-edited and overlong rant, but still an illuminating watch) that was by a fan disgusted with the degradation of the fansub scene since the mid 90's. And he brought up numerous problems with the kinds of work these people do- cluttering the screen with liner notes, strict and confined translations of idioms and sayings that are awkward in English, alienating the casual viewer with things that English just doesn't parse, just skipping over things that are beyond their skills as a translator, and so forth.

There's also the question of whether or not a fansub group could conduct itself in an professional manner. Remember, these people are essentially hobbyists- they work on what they want, when they want, and move to something else when they get bored. If contracted to do a series they would have to stick with it until it's done, and I think that a lot would lose interest before that happens.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
This statement kind of repulses me. I feel like downloading all of Gurren Laggan now and not buy the DVDs now just to spite him. When someone watches anime on TV, they don't actually have a copy of the product on their computer, ready to be burned onto a DVD either for personal use or to sell as bootlegs, or for mass distribution for free....

Kimiko_O wrote:
Is that really so? Some of the fansubs I've watched included not only clarifications of cultural details, but translations of even minor background text, fitted into the animation itself.

Clarifications? As in, a box appearing over on the top of the screen every 30 seconds: "baka = idiot", "nakama= close friend or comrade." Really helpful.... Not to mention the background translations seamlessly disguise themselves to make them hard to read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gasteropod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
just skipping over things that are beyond their skills as a translator, and so forth.

Well what do you expect them to do? They're doing it for free and for the benefit of people who want to watch the show with subs, it's quite the selfless act I think and I can't believe people are complaining about them. And the other supposed bad things about their subs are present in official releases too.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...honestly, I'd much rather get translator notes like that in a pamphlet in a box or in the DVD itself as an extra (like what ADV has done on some of their shows). Those translator notes can be helpful, but they're annoying when you can't turn them off and there's a million of them on the screen.

Plus, there's some fan translators that do a great job, but others...well, sometimes it almost feels like they've flunked English and don't know how to write at all. Like the scanlations for Chrono Crusade--I'm glad I own the actual licensed manga, there's times in the scanlations that it sounds like they just threw the text up on babblefish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
gasteropod wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
just skipping over things that are beyond their skills as a translator, and so forth.

Well what do you expect them to do? They're doing it for free and for the benefit of people who want to watch the show with subs, it's quite the selfless act I think and I can't believe people are complaining about them. And the other supposed bad things about their subs are present in official releases too.

I doubt that it's really as noble as you think- the primary motivation behind most of it seems to be status within the fandom- but table that point. What I was saying was, a professional translator can't run into something that confounds him and say "I don't know that, just skip it." That may mollify people if you're a hobbyist with limited resource, but if you plan to sell it as an official translation it won't fly.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Clarifications? As in, a box appearing over on the top of the screen every 30 seconds: "baka = idiot", "nakama= close friend or comrade." Really helpful.... Not to mention the background translations seamlessly disguise themselves to make them hard to read.

yeah i find it just pathetic that the One Piece subbers keep saying "nakama". i'm sorry but it just looks stupid, and i bet even the mangaka would be insulted by it.
sledge-daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
i don't think i've ever run into more that a handfull of subber commentary that really distracted me from the show and you all act like they never describe jokes and cultural references that someone from the states would'nt understand otherwise. and most give you the ability to change the sub track.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Is that really so? Some of the fansubs I've watched included not only clarifications of cultural details, but translations of even minor background text, fitted into the animation itself. I find it hard to imagine a for-profit company putting that kind of love into their work unless they could get an exorbitant price for the result.

A lot of companies have inserts with supplmentary material for their bigger works in one form or another. It certainly beats those awful fansubs were every little detail is translated on screen and completely crowds the picture. Even the fansubheads poke fun at that.

Legal DVDs generally have better quality picture, audio, and are on crisp discs with two languages, several subtitle options, and chapters divided where they need to be.

This whole "controversal statement" nonesense is being used by the cheap dicks on 4chan as a justification for their spitting in the face of the people working in the industry, many of whom may not share Yamaga's views. In fact, this thread was started to stir things up here, because they look down on us for actually putting money into our hobby.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Uhm.. dumb question.. Why don't the anime companies (creators, distrubutors, whatever) just hire the fansubbers? I mean, they're doing the work for free now, so getting paid even a little would be quite welcome I imagine. And the companies would profit too because they get quality translations in mere weeks instead of ages.

I would recommend watching the Industry/Fan Sub discussion that ANN streams. It is long, but good. Four fansubbers and three industry folk. Portions go over what you just asked. But I'll do a quick summary on two points:

-According to the industry, they are just as quick at translation. What takes ages is hashing out all of the legal aspects with Japan and, to perhaps a lesser extent, the dub script and recording. But the actual translation speed is not a problem. The reason fansubbers are quicker is not because they are faster translators.... but because they are doing it illegally.

-Dattebayo implied (without being at liberty to give details) that they have been hired from time to time to do subs. However, their case would be pretty rare and the general reaction from the industry side of the forum didn't seem to take the idea of hiring fansubbers too seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

The missing factor is age. Too much of the fandom (in American anyway) is too young and immature to handle fansubs. Hell, in just under a decade I've gone from "YARGH! WHERE BE ME FREE TV?!?!" to a much more moderate stance. Now, at 22, I've guilted myself into buying everything that I've downloaded that is worth a second watch. I agree that fansubs are a useful to consumers, they just recently saved me the money I would have spent on Texhnolyze, which I've decided is not for me. But on the whole I've bought about half of what I've downloaded. (My remaining sins are Trigun, FLCL, GITS, GITS: SAC, and TTGL, but that'll come off as soon as they release the dubbed DVDs)

I don't really guilt myself into it, I just watch to see which ones get licensed then I pre-order them. I'm just tired of all the teens, and adults too, that whine about not having money. I just watch to see if an anime I have seen gets licensed, and when it does, I delete it and pre order the DVDs. I am a teen, and I know I might be a little more lucky than some when it comes to money, but, you can't use that as an excuse forever.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
gasteropod wrote:
it was like that on the fansub of Paranoia Agent I streamed, there's no way the official DVD will have all those ace subs in it. (I haven't bought it so far because the UK version is censored, and the US one is out of print).

The UK release of Paranoia Agent isn't censored - though you're not the first person I've heard claim it is.
The episode that the BBFC had trouble with spoiler[(the one with the suicide club - anything with children and suicide is a red light as far as the BBFC is concerned)] is exactly the same length as all the other episodes and shows no signs of editing. All that happened was that the BBFC slapped an 18 certificate on that volume rather than the 12 or 15 that the other volumes got.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is that really so? Some of the fansubs I've watched included not only clarifications of cultural details, but translations of even minor background text, fitted into the animation itself.

A lot of people (myself included) find that that is usually to the detriment of a fansub. If the meaning of 'taiyaki' is explained to me one more time, I think I'll explode and spray red bean paste everywhere.

I have downloaded one fansub that I thought did a good job handling this sort of issue, and that was for 'Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror', which was distributed with some .pdfs containing relevant cultural notes...

Not to mention when fansubbers attempt to preserve the cultural element by not translating words like 'baka' or 'hentai'. It's pretty annnoying when the subs are talking English for ten minutes, then suddenly throw me a loop by switching to Japanese just because the fansubbers knew it to be a word that any watcher should know.
Call me weird, but I like my English subs to be in English, and it grates on my nerves when a Japanese word is crowbarred into English grammar constructs. Confused

All the same, I don't think Yamaga's statement will have any impact upon the buying habits of people who already are buying what they like, but it's a sure thing that it'll be used as an argument in favour of pure downloaders. Confused
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
The way I read the statement was that he was saying the industry is doing just fine, and fansubs are an integral part of promoting the medium. That is why I will continue not buying DVDs and watching all my anime streaming and fansubbed! Thanks Hiroyuki Yamaga for your approval. It just feels nice to know that I'm contributing to the industry even though I still haven't spent a penny on it.

Also I think I'm a bigger fan than most of the rest who say they felt guilty and bought DVDs or collect shelves upon shelves of merchandise for status or too look better than me. I love the medium as much as the next guy, but my financial situation does and will not ever allow me for such an excess, maybe one day I'll buy some box sets for my kids to enjoy but its just not a reality now. Besides I hate dubs and hate waiting for the domestic releases.

Wow. That's unreal. These companies make most of their money from the sales of DVDs and related items. If they can't sell the stuff because everyone streams it somewhere, guess what - less anime gets made, and companies making it go out of business. If you can't afford to at least buy an occasional DVD, then you can't afford to watch it. I mean, the computer and connection required to download it somewhere isn't cheap either. How's that getting paid for?

I even have issues with the way shows are marketed and sold, but I understand some of the reasons for it, and I still manage to buy legit US issue DVDs - in fact I've found ways to buy them sometimes for as little as a quarter each, cheap enough I started reselling them at flea markets for $5 or so a shot. For real, legit, sealed new DVDs. Now if I can manage that on a shoestring budget, there's no excuse for anyone else to not be able to buy legit items for their region.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5