• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Dies After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KairuRoukan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Really, really sad news to hear. Kids will be kids, and they're bound to do some dangerous stuff without realizing it. It's a shame it had to end like this, though. My condolences go out to the boy's family.

Last edited by KairuRoukan on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Surely a sad story.

Though, yeah, I can only imagine a possible s---storm following this.

First I gotta wonder.. They make sand boxes that deep? Well.. I guess head first, like water, even a small amount is potentially lethal.

Of course, I beg the question.. Who was watching the kids? Plus.. Geez. Remember to teach kids that breathing is good. I'm sure I did some stupid stunts like holding my breath on a dare or putting my head in a pillow unsafely or something. I do remember being scared crapless about plastic bags over my head. I was taught well about that danger. I also remember the story about kids drowsing in even small amounts of water in the bathtub.

I grew up watching cartoons too. I watched cartoons just as violent if not more. Some of those old Tom and Jerry ones that somehow were still on the air. Taking kitchen knives and slicing up his tail. Sure it was cartoony, but it was messed up. Never too a butcher knife to a cat. Never played around with rat poison.

Though I guess the key is reality vs fantasy and making sure your kid knows the difference. Whether it's telling a ten year old about Bugs Bunny or Naruto or your 14 year old who should know better not to imitate Jackass, it's part of parenting.

Though dumb accidents are sometimes unforeseeable. Sometimes you just have to realize that.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
That poor family. My prayers are with them...What a terrible price to pay for horseplay.

I think people need to stop getting so hyper over "ZOMG anime's gonna get banned/scapegoated". That's not even important right now as those people I'm sure are more focussed on getting through the day. IF some action should be taken against Viz/Cartoon Network/whatever, then it'll happen and they'll deal with it how they see fit at that time.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It is a sad story.

Perhaps some anime is not fit for the American culture. For reason those things always happen in U.S., not UK, Japan, China or Canada.

The Media and parents should both hold responsibilities. The Media do have some inference on kids. Of course, Parents should watch their kids too.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Christ, don't kids play with toys anymore...? Do they really need to re-enact things themselves?

That's what I was thinking. Whatever happened to doing this kind of thing to your GI Joe or little plastic army men?

It's a tragic loss, but I can't really put the blame on the industry and I really hope these people don't try to do the same. It could have been any show, book, comic, anime, game or whatever; the problem doesn't lie with what he saw. This could have been avoided, but not by adding a disclaimer or removing Naruto from the air, he would have just found some other source to act on. I'll wait and see, maybe the family won't be the type to try to throw the blame at the industry.

Either way, my condolences for their loss.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh god... here come the Anime Hate. How long till Fox News is blasting Anime as the "yellow eyed evil from the land of the rising sun" or something equally or less tasteful?

Stupid parents don't teach their kids and then the rest of the world is to blame. Heck, even good parents who teach their kids well sometimes have kids who aren't so bright. Really, who knows who is at fault - except that Naruto, and by extension, anime as a whole absolutely isn't.

It's a shame this had to happen and I feel sorry for the family, kids, school, and anime as culture in the US.
yukinosama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
My condolences to the family and friends. It truly is sad, but (and this had already by said) where was the supervision? And as for the whole anime being banned or whatever, children are just as likely to imitate something from a live action movie so there's no way that would happen unless they want to just ban all television and film.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of the Power Rangers furore that developed when kids started to imitate the moves. But I do not remember anyone dying because of it, though there were plenty of broken bones.

My condolences go out to the family. And please, do not abuse them. Kids will be kids, and this kid made a very stupid mistake that cost him his life. The family will already feel responsible. "If only we had watched him. If only we had not let him watch television. If only we had taught him better".

They do not need anyone else blaming them, when they are trying to come to terms with this tragedy. To blame them only hours after the kid has died is cruel.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Everyone seems to be blaming the parents, yet I've always believed that parents can't be held accountable for everything their child does... Kids rebel, it's a fact of life. If they want to do something enough they'll ignore their parents' warnings and do it anyway.

Kinda off on a tangeant, but... Is it really warm enough in Seattle, WA, to be playing outside in a sandbox? 0_o It's March... I'm still freezing over here in Iowa.
AnimeLover86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
i do feel sorry for the family and the kids that buried him (talk about needing therapy ... "yea i killed my friend while imitating a cartoon i saw on tv because my parents failed to teach me the difference between fact and fiction") needless to say i stick with my first comment that i posted on the previous forum (before we learned of his death), parents need to talk to their kids or at least keep a closer eye on them when they are burying each other in the 1 foot deep sandbox. i also don't think the parents have the right to file a lawsuit of any kind against VIZ because VIZ are not responsible for the parents' failure to monitor what their children watch or that they failed to talk to their kids or that no one was watching them bury this poor kid in the sand.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Why do I suddenly hear "Blame Canada!"?

Anyway, while it's sad that a child died, and I have nothing but sympathy for his friends and family, I also can't help but think that this is just nature's way of weeding out the idiots. By the time you're ten, you should know better than to ask your friends to bury you headfirst in sand, and your friends should know better than to do it. They weren't little kids; they were old enough to know fact from fiction and be left alone while they were playing.

As for the video in the news report, whatever. It's like the infamous Fox News takes on Anonymous clip; pointless fearmongering. If parents aren't raising their children not to be so dumb as to bury themselves in sand, regardless of where the kid got the idea, they have only themselves to blame for any injury that may ensue. The YouTube video? Did they notice that the people were playing with action figures and not immitating the stunts themselves? Honestly. These days the media exists only to spread fear and ignorance, take things out of context, and shift blame away from the parties that are truly responsible.

I don't want this to turn into a debate, though. Regardless of the cause, a family has lost a child they loved very much, and they have my deepest sympathy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

Yes, we know the child died, everyone has read the friggin article and knows that.

I mean, I'm not going to cry myself a whole river because of a little kid that I didn't know. I don't even cry that badly when a relative dies (and I don't know that person). I've also lost friends and family, so I can sympathize ONLY with the feeling of losing a loved one.

And yes, I'm going to be concerned about the status of anime, because you would not imagine how many times I've seen a series, or had my little cousins around, and my godparents used to tell me not to let them watch it because it was demonic and would influence them to do evil things. But really....Is that it...?

My general issue is that no matter how we try to make things better, it's always getting tons worse. I remember when the internet was becoming a hellhole because parents blamed the internet for not protecting their children from child predators. Considering that an inanimate object cannot completely educate a human child, I say, wtf.

Or when kids play in the pool alone and end up drowning themselves. >.>;

I said there should have been supervision from the start, and only because there were younger kids around. What if the 10 year old and another kid went off somewhere, leaving the other kids behind?

Trust me, I could care less how many times people have said that it's the parent's fault. It's happening way too frequently, and it feels like an epidemic. It's not like they will come across this forum and hear us anyway. Give it a few days or so, we'll forget and move on to the next thread.

Yeah, seriously. I hate vague news reports. >_>;

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
cool3865

im sorry, but parents these days feel they dont need to teach their kids the difference from fantasy/cartoon to real life. more than likely the parents will put the blame on the anime industry to cover up their bad parenting so they dont look bad either infront of all their friends.

sorry again but they dont get any sympothy from me
Arcwave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
What a terrible tragedy... I feel bad for the parents; this day will haunt them the rest of their lives.

RIP little fella.
refia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for the kid, I really do, but even children can have common sense enough not to bury their head in sand. Even I knew as a child not to bury my head in anything or else I'd die. I think the parents could've seen what the kids were watching and saw that it could influence their actions. If they did, maybe they could've changed a channel and a kid would have never died. It's their own fault. i feel sorry for them yes, but it was their own stupidity for not watching their son.

Last edited by refia on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9