• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira Casting Calls for Yamagata, Tetsuo, Ky Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
this is was and never will be accurate to the source media, lets face it people hollywood has the kind of ego where they always know what's best for american viewers and that most american viewers are too damn stupid to accept a non white lead character. as for this whole shit stick of a movie I'm just going to ignore it and watch the original movie that way I'm not stressing over this pile of wasted effort and ethnic discrimination shit storm
Jackstick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Jackstick wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
Lastly, why are they keeping Tetsuo and Yamagata's names but changed Kaneda's name into Ky?

I think Ky = Kai (Kaisuke), not Kaneda.

They probably changed the spelling to "Ky" because stupid people (aka most people) will pronounce "Kai" like "Kay"

I remember her name being Kei, pronouced like Kay isn't it? Google and the ANN encyclopaedia say Kei. Or are we thinking of different characters?

This guy: http://www.anime-planet.com/characters/kaisuke-akira
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
But the casting call has Ky marked as a female.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
They'll probably hire a Korean.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Hmmmm. Interesting. Wonder if I'll get a chance to see some location shooting.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Geez, they said "any ethnicity;" it's not like The Last Airbender where the casting call specifically called for white. Hold your horses until a casting decision is ACTUALLY MADE.

inb4 BAWWWW BUT [GIANT GENERALIZATION ABOUT THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY HERE]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Geez, they said "any ethnicity;" it's not like The Last Airbender where the casting call specifically called for white. Hold your horses until a casting decision is ACTUALLY MADE.

Yep. Ironically enough, the only ethnicity mentioned here is "Japanese-American."
Murder She wrote:
[ TETSUO ]
Male; any ethnicity, 20-25 years old; strung out, intense, street rat. (LEAD)
[ KY ]
Female; 20-30 years old; any ethnicity; tough, sexy, strong willed, street savvy. (LEAD)
[ YAMAGATA ]
Male, 20 to 30 years old, Japanese-American. (LEAD)

The story is set in Neo-Manhattan (not Neo-Tokyo - that ship hath sailed long ago). FWIW, here's Manhattan's current ethnic breakdown:
Quote:
Demographics from the 2010 census

According to the 2010 Census, 48.0% of the population was non-Hispanic White, 12.9% non-Hispanic Black or African American, 0.1% non-Hispanic American Indian and Alaska Native, 11.2% non-Hispanic Asian, 0.3% from some other race (non-Hispanic) and 1.9% of two or more races (non-Hispanic). 25.4% of Manhattan's population was of 
Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin (they may be of any race).

Manhattan has the second highest percentage of non-Hispanic Whites (48%) of New York City's boroughs, after Staten Island (where non-Hispanic Whites make 64.0% of the residents).

Assuming the ethnic breakdown doesn't change much by 2030 when the manga story goes (that's a big assumption since the manga had the city explode back in 1992), to be true to the setting, about half of the cast should be white, about 1 in 10 should be black, 1 in 10 should be Asian, and 1 in 4 should be Hispanic. (Except for Staten Island, Manhattan is the whitest of the NYC boroughs.)

We don't know for sure what names the characters will have, but most likely the original character names won't be kept, except maybe for Akira himself (who's just the dude in a jar). It'd be silly to have a bunch of New Yorkers all have Japanese names.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

But Avatar was fake anime made by white people.. this is actual anime made by Japanese people Razz
saya713

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
minakichan wrote:

But Avatar was fake anime made by white people.. this is actual anime made by Japanese people Razz

it was actually made by a Japanese man if i remember correctly.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
this is was and never will be accurate to the source media,

While you are correct in spirit, in reality, that isn't the case. It is possible to be as close as accurate to the IP as possible, and given allowances, it could work.

Example? The Phoenix Wright movie could actually be a faithful adaptation to the games!
NamaeX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Jackstick wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
Jackstick wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
Lastly, why are they keeping Tetsuo and Yamagata's names but changed Kaneda's name into Ky?

I think Ky = Kai (Kaisuke), not Kaneda.

They probably changed the spelling to "Ky" because stupid people (aka most people) will pronounce "Kai" like "Kay"

I remember her name being Kei, pronouced like Kay isn't it? Google and the ANN encyclopaedia say Kei. Or are we thinking of different characters?

This guy: http://www.anime-planet.com/characters/kaisuke-akira

[ KY ]
Female; 20-30 years old; any ethnicity; tough, sexy, strong willed, street savvy. (LEAD)

This girl: http://akira.wikia.com/wiki/Kei
isoge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood trying to create Akira live action movie? I smell disaster from a mile away with all the script changes, cut-outs, omitted scenes and remakes... Oh god how I hate Hollywood.....
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Why the hell are they putting the any ethnicity tag on Tetsuo but put down the Japanese tag for Yamagata?

When they do that, it's because the name of the character is more of a placeholder, and is likely going to be changed further into development. The script has it as Tetsuo, which makes sense, but they'll change it if they need to based on the ethnicity of the actor. It could stay the same, but they're open to change.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
It could stay the same, but they're open to change.

*snicker* He thinks Hollywood is "open to change."

Wallets maybe, but not change.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
saya713 wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:
minakichan wrote:

it was actually made by a Japanese man if i remember correctly.

Avatar was made by two white Californians.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2