• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggesting themes in new audit system...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Could any moderator bring the Letter from the Encyclopedist thread to the Encyclopedia section of the forum? Many questions and answers there about the audit system that don't need to be repeated.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I just got "Angst" as a theme. For some reason that doesn't sound like a theme to me. I am not sure what I should put for it, so I am just going to leave it blank until I hear what you guys think.

And if I am right is there anyway to get rid of it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I just got "Angst" as a theme. For some reason that doesn't sound like a theme to me. I am not sure what I should put for it, so I am just going to leave it blank until I hear what you guys think.

And if I am right is there anyway to get rid of it?

I agree, I thought "angst" was a silly theme too.
There are getting to be more though it seems. While yes, it may describe the anime, it is hard to say yes to some as well, isn't it?
"Animals as advisors"? Who in the world would search for that? "giant weapons"? "ping pong" and "table tennis" are two different themes, "economics", "duels", "step-brother sister", there are so many bizzare and 1 show themes, it's ridiculous.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
there are so many bizzare and 1 show themes, it's ridiculous.

Agreed, and it seems to be getting worse.

If the theme system is going to stick around, it needs to be reworked. I think it was a nice idea to give the users so much freedom, but it just isn't working out. With an almost total lack of rules or restrictions, people are submitting silly/incorrect/irrelevant themes in huge numbers.

Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion about what, exactly, a theme is. Recently, I saw "otaku" as a theme. Now, if this were Genshiken or Cosplay Complex, then that would be fine. But this was a theme for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Of course, it could be considered an "otaku anime" for many reasons, but no matter how you think about it, there's no way "otaku" would be a theme for this anime. I've also seen themes like "sports" for anime that featured sports in only one or two episodes. Anime that really have nothing at all to do with sports, or the only presence of sports is the occasional look at what goes on in the characters' school clubs.

I think the theme system needs much more restriction, and perhaps a better explanation of what is a theme and what is not (although I don't see how anyone could misunderstand the current explanation). The encyclopedia is getting very quickly junked up with themes that should not have ever been submitted.

Funniest theme I've seen so far? It's got to be Burning Manly Passion. Rolling Eyes
Kaijin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
What irritates me the most is the absurd amount of "Sports" as a theme, when the genre "tournament" includes it in it's description: (martial arts, sports, games, competition). What the themes should be are what kind of sports that is heavily emphaised in the anime. Take Over Drive for example. Someone put "Sports" as a theme. Wrong. "tournament" is listed as a genre already. Another person put Cycling. Correct. This show is all about cycling. Why can't people get that?
I've seen other forums that are seeing all these ridiculous themes and saying they no longer trust ANN as a legitimate source of information which is sad for those who do submit correct info. I mean "Incest" as a theme inspoiler[ true tears? For those who've seen the most recent episode know that is a load of BS] and whoever submitted it has not removed it. Just speculation within the show should not have been a legitimate reason to submit that theme until proven irrefutable.
Quote:
Burning Manly Passion.

Really? LOL... Confused
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
Sorry Kaijin, but your interpretation is incorrect. Sports is part of the description of tournament as an example, in order to give a quick idea of what "tournament" means. But not all tournament anime are about sports, so it makes sense to submit sports as a separate theme. And it also makes sense to submit "cycling". It might look like a duplicate, but they are not the same. I might be interested in watching a cycling anime, or I might be interested in watching any sports anime; both situations are possible and distinct.

And if you wonder why there are so many "sports" themes, it's because the old genres included "sports" and that was directly converted as themes in the new system.

But yes, it looks like I'm going to have to do something about the themes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaijin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Sorry Kaijin, but your interpretation is incorrect. Sports is part of the description of tournament as an example, in order to give a quick idea of what "tournament" means. But not all tournament anime are about sports, so it makes sense to submit sports as a separate theme. And it also makes sense to submit "cycling". It might look like a duplicate, but they are not the same. I might be interested in watching a cycling anime, or I might be interested in watching any sports anime; both situations are possible and distinct.

And if you wonder why there are so many "sports" themes, it's because the old genres included "sports" and that was directly converted as themes in the new system.

Well then I stand corrected. Embarassed
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
But are themes purely visual and setting based? Do they contain nothing with regards to the plot or feel of the show?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
The way they are being used here, yes.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
I don't know about the other users but I would really prefer to only audit titles from my "seen all" list. When rating we are dealing with opinions, but when auditing we're handling official data. I feel much more confident offering assistance over a subject I know than a subject that I didn't even bother to conclude.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
If you don't feel comfortable doing the audit, you can always choose the "I don't know" option.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
If you don't feel comfortable doing the audit, you can always choose the "I don't know" option.

Good point.

Dan42 wrote:
One recommendation I could give is to break up themes to their smallest components. Rather than "online gaming" you could submit "online" and "gaming" because people might search for both of these components separately.

This bit seems to imply that themes work as tags. If so, it kinda makes sense to permit so much freedom when providing new themes. I like the tag system used by last.fm which is entirely built by the users. You can notice that there are a lot of misleading tags, but since only the popular ones are displayed on the artist's main page, the problem seems extremely minimized.

Dan42 wrote:
There's no set limit on how long an audit can last. It runs until a decision is reached with a simple majority of 12 votes (e.g. 12 vs 0, 13 vs 1, 14 vs 1 vs 1, ...)

How do we know a verdict has been reached? It feels really discouraging to audit something when your actions may be completely meaningless.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
I don't know about the other users but I would really prefer to only audit titles from my "seen all" list. When rating we are dealing with opinions, but when auditing we're handling official data. I feel much more confident offering assistance over a subject I know than a subject that I didn't even bother to conclude.

I agree with this completely. It would be nice if there was an option to only audit titles in our "seen all."

Dessa wrote:

The problem with this is that each audit only comes up once. If we choose "I don't know," then that has to be our answer forever. We won't get another chance. However, when we finish the series in question, we would likely be able to give a real answer.

Since the new season recently started in Japan, I have close to a dozen new titles in my "seen some," and I've been avoiding doing audits because I know that those new series, that I've of course only seen 1 or 2 episodes of each at this point, will come up and I won't be able to give any kind of answer other than "I don't know." I just can't confidently judge what genres a series is based on a handful of episodes. I would prefer it if I could "turn off" my "seen some" audits and only do my "seen all" audits for now. It would be nice if there was such an option.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
How do we know a verdict has been reached? It feels really discouraging to audit something when your actions may be completely meaningless.

There's currently no way to know how reliable a particular info is, but I intend to add that; show the source, if there are any error reports, if it was audited, the result of the audit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
The problem with this is that each audit only comes up once. If we choose "I don't know," then that has to be our answer forever. We won't get another chance. However, when we finish the series in question, we would likely be able to give a real answer.

Since the new season recently started in Japan, I have close to a dozen new titles in my "seen some," and I've been avoiding doing audits because I know that those new series, that I've of course only seen 1 or 2 episodes of each at this point, will come up and I won't be able to give any kind of answer other than "I don't know." I just can't confidently judge what genres a series is based on a handful of episodes. I would prefer it if I could "turn off" my "seen some" audits and only do my "seen all" audits for now. It would be nice if there was such an option.

The way it currently works is that first you get audits for anime in your "seen all" list, and only if there are none you get audits for anime in your "seen some" list, and only if there are none you get audits for anime in your "will not finish" list.

And it's not exactly true that answers are frozen in stone. You can change your answer at any time, as long as the audit is still open. BUT... once you have made a choice, the audit only stays 24 hours in your list of recent audits; otherwise the list would become too large and the page too slow to load. If there's an audit you want to vote on later, you'd have to keep a note of the url somewhere. I'll see what I can do about facilitating that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4