• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Model Names Child After One Piece Character

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Shouldn't that be "given name" and not surname? I'm pretty sure surname is the last/family name. And Ace went with "Portgas" because it's his mom's family name.

I'm pretty sure that all of the One Piece names are written in Western order.

Monkey D. Luffy
Monkey D. Garp
spoiler[Monkey D. Dragon]

Really? It's pretty obvious that it's the Japanese format (though with middle initial, which I don't think Japan has)
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I am more interested in what names are officially banned though.

i, too, am curious about this.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Said is a very common name in some parts of the world but it would be strange name that stands out on most non-Middle Eastern class rosters.

heh, i work with a fellow named Said. his name would probably stand out more if i didn't also work with a guy named Mustafa.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although Japan does have a list of banned names,

No, it doesn't. It's just that the registrar can refuse a name that could make the life of the child too difficult, based on his personal judgment. Which is what happened in the famous case of Akuma-chan.

What does exist though, is the list of Kanji allowed for use in personal names.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Ace sounds like an American name and even then it'd be odd unless it was like 1920... even then it'd probably just be a nickname and not a legal name. It seems stupid and silly to me, but a model is doing it so I guess that's par for the course.

maaya wrote:
Quote:

No, it doesn't. It's just that the registrar can refuse a name.

How is that functionally different than a banned name?

Megiddo wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I'm pretty sure that all of the One Piece names are written in Western order.

Monkey D. Luffy
Monkey D. Garp
Really? It's pretty obvious that it's the Japanese format (though with middle initial, which I don't think Japan has)

So his English name is Luffy Monkey D. or D. Luffy Monkey?

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Luffy D. Monkey would be the order for first/middle initial/last
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
maaya wrote:
Quote:

No, it doesn't. It's just that the registrar can refuse a name.

I think the difference is between a publicly available list, which parents can weasel around by thinking of a name the creators of the list overlooked, and the judgement of the registrar, who can react to anything weird the parents can think of. Or, in another light, between being able to know with some certainty whether a name will be acceptable, or having the acceptability of the name being influenced by ones personal relationship with the registrar.

In short, the difference between a government of laws and a government of men.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

One registrar can refuse a name which another one would consider to be perfectly fine. And since there is still a higher authority, the parents can more easily take legal actions against said decision (which they did for Akuma-chan as well, but the court had the same opinion).

Actually, I think Akuma is the only well known case of a name ever being refused even though it included only authorized name kanji.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure these banned names are largely to keep parents from naming their kids something vulgar and/or offensive. And really, you can't really tell how a name will affect a child until it happens. How you raise a child is way more important than what you name them. Frank Zappa's kids have grown up to be perfectly comfortable people, and that's because he's an attentive and caring father. There was this guy at my high school whose first name is...the last name of this certain guy who ran Germany in World War II (I wonder if his parents wanted him to constantly provoke Godwin's Law as often as possible), and everyone treats him as they would anyone else.

If anything, little kids LOVE weird names because they stand out. I can see why there'd be more apprehension in a conformist culture like Japan though.

Here's a case where everyone seemed to take offense to a kids' name...except the kids themselves. (And the parents who named them): http://funnybusiness.typepad.com/funnybusiness/2008/12/shoprite-refuses-to-make-birthday-cake-for-adolf-hitlerwal-mart-takes-the-job.html
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If anything, little kids LOVE weird names because they stand out. I can see why there'd be more apprehension in a conformist culture like Japan though.

I can think of a bunch of people that hate their weird name or odd spelling of a normal name that their parent gave them. Some people just don't follow their parent's way of thinking.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Better than being named Moon Unit, or Dwezel. Rolling Eyes
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Ace is the character's first/given name, not surname/family name. ^^'

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty normal English name, but from what I read in this thread it isn't... *confused*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's funny that Japan even has rules on what regular names a child can have. Laughing

That's not really surprising.

Iceland has restrictions on names, but that's because of the way the Icelandic language's grammar works.
sayswho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
man I was thinking of naming my future son 'ace' too. it just sounds so cool and strong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2