• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon USA Lays Off Sales, Marketing Staffers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to a recent press release, Geneon had 39 employees; by the end of this week Geneon will have laid off more than 20% of its staff.

Im shocked they have so few employees. Not to be insensitive to those losing their jobs, but 20% of their staff is only like 8 people. I had kinda picture "massive layoffs".
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not shocked at all that they had only 39 employees. To me that's what I would have expected. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had less than that. Why does Geneon USA need a lot of employees? What do they do, really? I'm not an expert in the industry but it seems to me that they mostly delegate work to others. For example, the DVD mastering/production is outsourced to companies such as 342Media or SpeeDVD, the dubbing is outsourced to companies like Bang Zoom Entertainment or Ocean Studios, etc. The actual printing of the discs is handled by some other facilities, etc. I don't know if they do the actual subtitle translations themselves or if that is technically handled by the dubbing studios as well. With 39 employees I suppose that's plenty of people to have the script translators be included within that.

It seems to me that a licensing company is mainly responsible for bureaucracy, business negotiations, and marketing. If that's the case then a handful of employees seems sufficient. On the other hand, if you tell me that 39 people includes Geneon + Bang Zoom Entertainment + 342Media, then I'd agree that it is surprising.

I had also figured that the amount of people being layed off would amount to only 5 people or so. That's part of the reason I was insensitive to that whole issue to begin with. I didn't see why some people made an issue out of that, I would have thought that the proper thing to do was to simply discuss the impact of these recent developments on the anime industry in general, not to offer condolences to 5 people whom I don't know, that now have to find work elsewhere.
RayV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well ADV was dubbing FMP for Funi.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
So ADV is finally going to take over Geneon. Bitch! *sigh* Well... that sucks. RIP Geneon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I had also figured that the amount of people being layed off would amount to only 5 people or so. That's part of the reason I was insensitive to that whole issue to begin with. I didn't see why some people made an issue out of that, I would have thought that the proper thing to do was to simply discuss the impact of these recent developments on the anime industry in general, not to offer condolences to 5 people whom I don't know, that now have to find work elsewhere.

It's 5 people from just the sales team alone. All told, according to the article, more than 20% of its staff will be laid off, more than twice the percentage that Funimation reportedly laid off about two months ago.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Are anime companies (at least in the US) really that small? Man...39 employees...and now even less. Crazy.

But...I really hate when people get laid off like this, just so someone somewhere can make a few extra bucks. That's the beauty of our economy. Smile
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
It's 5 people from just the sales team alone. All told, according to the article, more than 20% of its staff will be laid off, more than twice the percentage that Funimation reportedly laid off about two months ago.

I'll point out that 20% still only raises the total by another 2-3 people. I've little sympathy for the marketing team who routinely failed to sufficiently promote various titles and who I feel needed to be replaced. My condolences do however go out to the 2-3 non-marketing people who will suffer from this.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

I'll point out that 20% still only raises the total by another 2-3 people. I've little sympathy for the marketing team who routinely failed to sufficiently promote various titles and who I feel needed to be replaced. My condolences do however go out to the 2-3 non-marketing people who will suffer from this.

im in agreement, sucks to lose your job but they didn't seem to do their job effectively. nothing significantly changed in terms of pricing or promotion and they just rely on the regulars to buy the new release each week a new title is out. geneon felt the same and let adv handle all of this from what i can see.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

I'll point out that 20% still only raises the total by another 2-3 people.

It would actually be 8 or more people, since 7 people is under 20% and the article says "more than 20%."

Quote:
I've little sympathy for the marketing team who routinely failed to sufficiently promote various titles and who I feel needed to be replaced. My condolences do however go out to the 2-3 non-marketing people who will suffer from this.

This assumes that it is the fault of the staffers, when insufficient promotion could be caused by a lack of budget (nothing like working like dogs to perform routine tasks under a decimated budget and then getting blamed for "underperforming") or support from above. It may not be the lower rank-and-file's fault, but they still take the fall for it. That's a bummer no matter what.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:

I'm sure all those people who lost their jobs were waiting with clenched teeth and baited breath to find out if forums poster "Oronae" had any sympathy for them or not.
Defiant8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I do not think that it is a takeover, merger or that Geneon is going under. It does seem as Geneon has outsourced everything else, and this is just a continuation of that trend. There are alot of company that exist that just outsource everything.
duo05001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
This seems like a formality at this point, considering the recent news about Dentsu and John Ledford's relationship with them.

Though I didn't expect things to move so quickly. Yikes.

It's only a short matter of time before there isn't a Geneon anymore, from the look of it.

Just think of how AT&T and Cingular started off.
At first, and up to this point they are presented as AT&T and the new cingular. They are still keeping the name for a short period of time I think only untile next year, then all the stores and logos and phones you see that say Cingular on them will dissaper it will become just AT&T. They only keep the name cingular to make the transition smoother and not to lose people who are faithful to cingular (myself) soon you will not see cingular I think 2008 they are going to stop using cingular all together. Any that relates to this because its the same proscess will most likely occur, soon you wont see Geneon appear anymore it will just be ADV.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
So, does anybody know how many marketing/sales people Bandai Entertainment USA had back in the dark ages four or five years ago, when Geneon did their distribution? I'm wondering how that compares to the emerging structure at Geneon, since obviously Bandai didn't implode dramatically then.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
RayV wrote:
Well ADV was dubbing FMP for Funi.

That is Funimation actually being smart and keeping the casting and most work dealt with a property that is also licensed by ADV consistent.

As for this whole lay-off bit, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that they were offered regional positions with ADV, that seems to be what happens when this type of absorption of roles takes place.

Of course, it may also be that ADV saw a flaw and decided to start out fresh with Geneon's titles and didn't take any of the layoffs in. Only two groups know and I don't expect either of them to state much.
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
duo05001 wrote:

Just think of how AT&T and Cingular started off.
At first, and up to this point they are presented as AT&T and the new cingular. They are still keeping the name for a short period of time I think only untile next year, then all the stores and logos and phones you see that say Cingular on them will dissaper it will become just AT&T. They only keep the name cingular to make the transition smoother and not to lose people who are faithful to cingular (myself) soon you will not see cingular I think 2008 they are going to stop using cingular all together. Any that relates to this because its the same proscess will most likely occur, soon you wont see Geneon appear anymore it will just be ADV.

heh yeah. though in that situation they are choosing the name with more recognition. Cingular was the one that bought out ATT
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3