• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Attractive Anime Girl Contest (and Stereotype Battle)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
How about limiting the number of characters in a tournament. I like big tournaments, but 128 seems to much for one tournament.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
I hadn't thought about that but using the polls would help make it go faster. The problem is you might get people simply clicking it randomly and not posting why they chose their vote. I believe that was one of the reasons for the current format was to ensure "intelligent" votes.

That's a good point. Plus, there is the possibility that people would make multiple accounts and vote several times. Of course, I don't know why someone would do that for such a simple thing, but the possibility is there regardless.

That's exactly what happened when this was done on one of the fansub forums I used to visit. There was massive vote spamming with multiple accounts. They eventually canned it and when they did another "Tournament" later, they did it similar to what our Tournaments have been like. Each user had to post their vote and their reasons (though "reasons" work better when voting for a type of character like tsundere than for looks).

Now, this might not be as much of a problem here since this Contest/Tournament won't be displayed on the front page, but the possibility certainly exists. Some people have way too much time on there hands and way too much interest in internet popularity contests.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
darksideoftheanime wrote:
I think a better idea would be to ask What makes a character attractive? instead of Who is the most attractive? And maybe you can open it up all genders.
Like Tony K and everyone has been mentioning, this is a contest of sorts, but it was not my intention to make it as competitive as people seem to make it out to be. It's more like a thread to find out "What makes a character attractive?" just like darkside mentioned. After enough character nominations and ratings of other people's choices have been given, it will be like investigating this question through discussion.

Another primary intention I had in mind was to simply show nice pictures of girls for other people to look at. It could give some anime series' new exposure to people who haven't seen the show before. A forum poll might be okay but we still need to come up with the nominations first, and I think that has to be done via posts anyway. I'd rather the whole thread be done the slow way, via posts. As the thread starter I would be responsible for tallying all the nominations and star ratings, but that stage doesn't have to start until quite a ways into the future.

About opening the contest up to guys (or animals/monsters)...that thought hadn't entered my mind because I made this thread to try to "fix" the thread that was recently locked...and that one was about girls so I just copied. Sure, I don't mind opening up the contest to guys at all if people want that. And just to clarify, no one is obligated to rate other people's chosen characters...so for example if you are a guy and don't want to rate the other guys, then that's fine.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
How about everyone start out by listing the anime girl that you find most attractive? Primarily based on physical appearance rather than personality, as much as possible.

Well that does matter to me a bit. I know you don't need a good personality to look attractive, but I won't think highly of a character without one.

Porcupine wrote:
What makes a character attractive?" just like darkside mentioned. After enough character nominations and ratings of other people's choices have been given, it will be like investigating this question through discussion.

I guess I'll things started then (if the mods don't lock this). Here's my nomination for this tournament.

Toru Honda form Friuts Basket.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/iloveharu2/Fruits_Basket_by_Eternal_S.jpg
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I know it can be hard to completely separate looks from personality. That's why I only said "as much as possible". Try to concentrate on looks, but if personality influences your decision a little bit that's okay.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT]

dormcat wrote:
frentymon wrote:
Then mine goes to Alpha, from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

That's a fan art, and not the best one. Rolling Eyes

Oh, then seeing as how the only pictures I have of Alpha are fanart (manga aside), I'll switch my nomination to Suzumiya Akane of Kiminozo, who is in my avatar.

Last edited by frentymon on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Stellarleen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay I'll play. I nominate the lovely Kaname Chidori of Full Metal Panic!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/Stellarleen/kaname1.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/Stellarleen/kaname2.jpg

Edit: Added an explanation as to why I chose Miss Kaname.

I'm a girl so maybe my POV is a little different but, I believe Kaname is the ideal female character. She is undeniably gorgeous (long hair, ideal body, and adorable smile). She is strong (physically and mentally), independant, intelligent and outgoing. To me, her all around attractiveness stands out amoung all the women and girls in anime. So, yay Kaname Anime hyper.

Last edited by Stellarleen on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Then mine goes to Alpha, from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

That's a fan art, and not the best one. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
darksideoftheanime wrote:
How about limiting the number of characters in a tournament. I like big tournaments, but 128 seems to much for one tournament.

If we do a tournament with that many use polls. If it's under a certain amount posts. How does that sound? i also stick by the idea of a poll to determine what kind of tournament people want.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is a no-brainer for me. My nomination goes to Tao Jun from Shaman King.

Aww.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ok, people are participating, so here's my nomination: Lou Roux from Godannar.
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Right....could we possible have a less offensive tournament. Maybe something a bit more worthwhile. I tried to do something similar at another forum but since nobody over there cared (don't blame them) it didn't pull through but I still like my idea.

I'd like you all to choose your ideal female role model from any anime. A woman or girl who you'd show to your children and hope they're inspired. Someone who you think is the archetype for female characters of the genre.

I've deliberately left the definition for such a role model blank, she can be whatever you think is the most desirable characteristic for an inspirational woman. For example she could be strong physically, determined to her mission, dedicated to her own beliefs, cunning for an anime character, kinder than Princess Dianna, a rebel against her opressors...whatever you think is most appropriate, there's no rules on what to think you find most admirable for the perfect role model!

Some of us don't care who you fantasize, but I think actually sifting through all the hundreds of sexist anime out there to find a female character who is actually worth finding out would be more fulfilling.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Right....could we possible have a less offensive tournament. Maybe something a bit more worthwhile.

Um, pretty sure no-one intended this to be offensive, rather thought of it as just a bit of fun.

Amasa wrote:
...kinder than Princess Dianna...

Amasa wrote:
Some of us don't care who you fantasize, but I think actually sifting through all the hundreds of sexist anime out there to find a female character who is actually worth finding out would be more fulfilling.

Well, I don't think your idea is a terrible one. The first one'd probably attract more interest, although personally I'm struggling a bit to think of nominations for either tbh. A quick glance around my room just left me with the thought that I'd be shot for nominating her for either tournament Razz .
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Amasa wrote:
...kinder than Princess Dianna...

Haha sorry, I was kinda joking in the other thread which didn't translate over here. That's really embarrassing, haha.
Anyway, yeah ignore my crappy use of language. I don't really find it offensive, just a bit stupid. I'm sure we could do something more intelligent or at least inspiring. I'd genuinely be interested to find out who everyone thinks is the most ideal for the tournament and it could also work as a nice recommendation thread just for me Very Happy .
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:15 am Reply with quote
Alrighty heres mine: Miyu from Vampire Princess Miyu...Despite her cold exterior she has a good heart...she is also a protector of the human race...

http://www.geocities.com/area51/zone/1244/miyured.gif

http://www.aicasia.com/products/vpm/image/miyu_miyu.jpg

http://www.animint.com/galerie/albums/userpics/10001/normal_div_miyuviolet.jpg

Last edited by omar235 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8