• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bleach Anime to Enter Shinigami Daikō Shōshitsu Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
LoL this arc...it's only just now gotten interesting at least.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
It was so bad that Bleach tanked in the WSJ rankings, hit rock bottom in the magazine, and was replaced by Toriko in the Top Three. Kubo had to bring certain popular characters back to save the entire series.

Two of those things didn't happen.

spoiler[And "bring back certain popular characters?" Did you think they were never coming back? When could they be brought back and it wouldn't be considered fanpandering to you?

I'll give you Hitsugaya. He really shouldn't be there.]

Do you really think that, if Bleach hadn't hit the bottom spot in the magazine, Kubo would have written Deathberry 2 that soon? He would've dragged the arc until he ran out of plot twists to pull out of his ass, which could have been over a year.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
ArekkusuDaimao wrote:
well after 5 to 10 episodes into this arc the anime will catch on to the manga and they gonna start doing filler again.

That's my main concern as well.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
The story hit rock bottom because of the last arc. It left a sour note when nothing was solved and the people with answers didn't tell Ichigo anything and he didn't care.

So for a while, we were all really pissed off. It didn't help that this arc didn't really have direction until spoiler[Tsukishima made his move]. That's when I got interested.

Still, it is unclear how these characters might play into, if at all, the overt plot.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
About time Bleach take a 2 year vacation.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm left wondering if Tite Kubo even knows where he is going with this series. I have confidence that Eiichirio Oda has a solid vision of where he wants to take One Piece, but Kubo?

The plot of Bleach, IMO, is meandering around. And then there are the questions like why did Ichigo's father spoiler[choose to become human]? What is the Soul King and why did Aizen hate him so passionately. Is there some greater purpose behind all the things that've happened to Ichigo, things that might explain why he's so freakishly powerful (him being a Vizard is not a sufficient explaination).

Instead, I have the impression that Kubo has no real goal for the series, but is merely milking it for as long as possible until everyone loses interest in it and it peters out: not with a bang, but with a whimper. In contrast, I think Odo *does* have a final destination and had one from the very beginning. He may have added more to the story, but its framework is one he envisioned from the start. As a result, the story progression in One Piece seems much more natural and continuous to me than that of Bleach. Even Naruto's storyline seems to have a real destination that it is heading for. Where is Bleach going?

Anyhow, I've said more than enough. I like(d) Bleach, and I hope that Kubo shows he *does* know where he is going with his series. While I understand the financial benefits of milking every last drop out of a cash cow, it is not a way to ensure the telling of a great story -- one that people will follow with awe and respect.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that this latest arc is getting such a ribbing here; I think the best Bleach has been in a while. Rather than chapter after chapter of people just hitting each other with silly swords, it's back to it's urban fantasy roots, and is actually reasonably well plotted, with all the twists foreshadowed. In fact, it's kinda disappointing for me it's returning to the norm.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
What is the Soul King and why did Aizen hate him so passionately. Is there some greater purpose behind all the things that've happened to Ichigo, things that might explain why he's so freakishly powerful

He's already said, more or less, this is the final arc. I'm sure this arc leads into all of this.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote
This is easily the worst arc of Bleach that exists. It just keeps dragging along, and has lasted just long enough for Kubo to rip another page out of YYH spoiler[the predecessor being evil? Come on guy. When it turns out that Ichigo is half hollow, or else half royalty, the cycle of near plagiarism will be complete]

It's getting better at this point, but none of the enemies currently presented are interesting in any way. Aizen was an interesting enemy, and then he just kind of....wasn't around any more. It's exactly like Yu Yu Hakusho post spoiler[Toguro]. YYH picked back up for it's final arc. Hopefully that will happen here.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
What is the Soul King and why did Aizen hate him so passionately. Is there some greater purpose behind all the things that've happened to Ichigo, things that might explain why he's so freakishly powerful

He's already said, more or less, this is the final arc. I'm sure this arc leads into all of this.

He did? I hadn't heard that. Well, that's reassuring, insofar as it means that he has a conclusion in mind for the series.

I *like* Bleach (minus the fillers), so I want to see it have a meaningful and appropriate ending.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
Any canon is better than anime-original filter for Shonen Jump shows...

Filler isn't always worse, but for Shonen Jump shows, well, good like finding something as entertaining as the real story.

The current filler is just soooo ridiculous, and obvious fan pandering.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

I agree. They would have more content to work with and they wouldn't have to waste money on those useless fillers. Wow, no really, why won't they just do that? Seems like a perfect time to do it aswell.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
egoist wrote:

I agree. They would have more content to work with and they wouldn't have to waste money on those useless fillers. Wow, no really, why won't they just do that? Seems like a perfect time to do it aswell.

A two-year hiatus would be a death sentence for the entire franchise. Manga sells anime. Anime sells manga. Kill one and the other dies.

Basically, filler is just life support to keep the show in the public eye until they can get back to making new episodes.

This might be different for a Gundam show, where your audience is much more likely to be willing to wait a year or two for a second season, but Shonen Jump shows are different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2