• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gift of Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1. I haven't found a love partner that interests me.
2. My friends don't care for owning anime/manga.
3. My parents despise spending money on entertainment.
4. Toilet paper is the worst gift you can give someone.

What if they didn't have any toilet paper and they were on the loo and...

Nah, I'd give them a whole pack of toilet paper plus a book or something, that's the way to do it.
Ohki-Truesdale

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember I once gave a Yu-Gi-Oh manga to my little brother for Christmas last year. he seemed really pleased to get it. And the christmas before that I got him a Pokemon magazine. My brother and I don't always get anime for birthdays or Christmas, although I'm hoping that my brother will get a Naruto DVD for his 11th birthday.
BigSmokin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
You open the box and unicorns and fairy's dance and sing around you

lol that made me laugh.
AegisX

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Just a few weeks ago I bought the Anime Legends Release of Wolf's Rain for one of my friends as a Birthday gift. Of course I'm exempt from buying her the second part of the series as her mother is going to take care of that(yay for being cheap!). This is really the only time I've ever bought anime for some one though so I haven't exactly made a habit of it.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The only times I get manga is when I ask my sister to buy it for me, or when I buy it myself. Oh, well....
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Most of my RL male friends are anime fans to one degree or another, so invariably, they get anime-related stuff for b'days & Christmas. I don't give DVDs or manga though, as my taste in anime/manga is very wide, whereas my mates tend only to like action based stuff, so I tend to give models, action figures, T-shirts & other related merchandising. Christmas just gone I gave a couple of Evangelion figures, several Gundam kits & a FFVII: Advent Children baseball cap.

As for receiving anime as gifts, I only get what I want if I ask for it, as my friends & family don't really know what kind of anime I'll enjoy. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop The only time I got an anime-related gift that was totally unexpected, but much appreciated was when my US buddy gave me a signed piece of Sonoda's original artwork (of Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Gunsmith Cats fame) several years ago. Anime hyper
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have much in the way of friends outside of this site nor do I have a girlfriend, so not many opportunities for gift giving. Although I got my sister three Burst Angel PVC figures last Christmas. (She's suprisingly into shounen action series and really liked Burst Angel.)

psycho 101 wrote:
While this benefits me, as I will get to watch or read anything I buy for her, I feel somehow as I'm being cheap. I feel I should do something more then the daily norm.
This may sound cheesy, but have you thought about suprising her with something in addition to the DVDs or manga like a self-written poem or flowers? Writing your own poem describing why she's special to you would be a very personal gift, albeit a cheap one, and I'm reasonably sure most women like flowers. (This is assuming you don't do things like this all the time already.)

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also: Easter gifts? Goodness gracious sakes alive.
You've never heard of Easter gifts before? Maybe it's a regional thing, it's fairly common in my neck of Georgia.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
There are hundreds of ways to present simple and seemingly cheap anime DVDs. If you're going to settle for giving anime DVDs as presents, at least think of a better method than having it store-wrapped and simply handing it over to her. Really, the meaning of the gift is 90% how you set up the mood at the moment of giving. Of course, I'd be totally wrong if your girlfriend was a true materialist who'd prefer diamond rings over cheesy events.

/Watched one too many melodramas.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I don't really have much in the way of friends outside of this site nor do I have a girlfriend, so not many opportunities for gift giving. Although I got my sister three Burst Angel PVC figures last Christmas. (She's suprisingly into shounen action series and really liked Burst Angel.)

psycho 101 wrote:
While this benefits me, as I will get to watch or read anything I buy for her, I feel somehow as I'm being cheap. I feel I should do something more then the daily norm.
This may sound cheesy, but have you thought about suprising her with something in addition to the DVDs or manga like a self-written poem or flowers? Writing your own poem describing why she's special to you would be a very personal gift, albeit a cheap one, and I'm reasonably sure most women like flowers. (This is assuming you don't do things like this all the time already.)

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also: Easter gifts? Goodness gracious sakes alive.
You've never heard of Easter gifts before? Maybe it's a regional thing, it's fairly common in my neck of Georgia.

Not to be rude but are you Christian Richard J.? I ask because I think Easter gifts are a more prodominent Christian idea. I know plenty of people do celebrate Easter and give gifts but I've found over the year the percentage of Christian to Non-Christians that do this is like 3-1. That might explain why some don't. Geographical location could also explain some as you're around the Bible Belt area. My family just does little sweets and baked goods, or something small and simple.

As for the poetry and flowers, I have NEVER done flowers of holidays. I randomly get whatever lady I'm with flowers. Every so often regardless of date I simply do it as a surprise. That way they never know when I will. As for poetry, that is something I do. I actually have 4 journals full of poetry and 2 poems published in various poetry books. One even made it onto a "poetry on tape" sort of deal. Thanks for the ideas though.

Azathrael, trust me I don't simply buy a gift, regardless of what or for who, without wrapping it or making a nice bag with tissue paper for it. I may not wrap for a damn but I do try.

Well, the gifts I got worked like a charm. So everything went great. Which begs another question for you guys; have you ever given anime or manga as a gift and it went bad? Did they ever NOT like the gift and idea?

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed May 16, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Not to be rude but are you Christian Richard J.? I ask because I think Easter gifts are a more prodominent Christian idea. I know plenty of people do celebrate Easter and give gifts but I've found over the year the percentage of Christian to Non-Christians that do this is like 3-1. That might explain why some don't Geographical location could also explain some as you're around the Bible Belt area. My family just does little sweets and baked goods, or something small and simple.
Why would asking for a confirmation of my religion be rude? Confused

Yes, I'm Christian. I've mentioned that from time to time here, though some of my views are a tad atypical, so often I don't sound anything like the stereotype of a religious person. My family tends to go a little overboard with gifts so baskets laden with DVDs as well as copious amounts of chocolate aren't unusual for me. I guess growing up with that and lots of secular Easter celebrations in my hometown kind of makes it hard for me to easily picture people not taking advantage of the holiday regardless of relgion.

I mean, even if you're not a Christian, it's an excuse to give gifts, eat sweets, and generally to celebrate being alive. It's a federal holiday so you might as well enjoy it right?

psycho 101 wrote:
As for the poetry and flowers, I have NEVER done flowers of holidays. I randomly get whatever lady I'm with flowers. Every so often regardless of date I simply do it as a surprise. That way they never know when I will. As for poetry, that is something I do. I actually have 4 journals full of poetry and 2 poems published in various poetry books. One even made it onto a "poetry on tape" sort of deal. Thanks for the ideas though.
Well, since you've got the "thoughtful romantic" side of things down, you might want to go for the "shiny expensive" angle. Wink

Nice work getting a poem recognized.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why would asking for a confirmation of my religion be rude? Confused

Some people are uptight or uneasy mentioning their religion so I felt it better to ask.

Quote:
I mean, even if you're not a Christian, it's an excuse to give gifts, eat sweets, and generally to celebrate being alive. It's a federal holiday so you might as well enjoy it right?

That's pretty much how I look at it. You may not celebrate it, or even like the holiday, but you might as well enjoy it the day off at least. As for the expensive shiny idea, I already blow enough money on other expensive gifts for her lol. Ever heard of the catalog Franklin Mint? Nothing is cheap in there heh.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
I get all of my own Anime/Manga/Stupidity myself so I'd rather christmas and birthday presents be thought-out gifts from others (something with more sentiment than immediate commercial value or whatever), or money. Preferably the first as I'm starting to really like other things with sentiment behind them and junk. Just a thing!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Some people are uptight or uneasy mentioning their religion so I felt it better to ask.
Okay, guess I can see how that might be the case with some people. Oddly, most of the people I've run into tend to be pretty openly religious or at least willing to hold a rational conversation on the subject. My hometown has a surprising mix of religions. (I must be lucky.)

psycho 101 wrote:
As for the expensive shiny idea, I already blow enough money on other expensive gifts for her lol. Ever heard of the catalog Franklin Mint? Nothing is cheap in there heh.
Shocked Franklin Mint products? Man I hope you have a really nice job or at least a sizable inheritance to fall back on. Wink

Steventheeunuch: Okay, I've been wondering for a while and now it's just gotten to me. What's up with your avatar? All I see is a red X. Does it just not show up because I'm using Internet Explorer or what?

Also, I can get behind the sentimental gifts too. Gifts that have some thought behind them and mean something personal are great.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I gave my brother a volume of Inuyasha for Christmas, as he is quite taken with it. Sometimes I'll give away the manga I no longer want, as well. A few of my friens like anime and/or manga, and I would consider getting them some if I knew what they did and did not own.

But in your case, you seem to know exactly what she wants. I would say go for it, she will like your present. Alternatively, get her something related to those series. It is your choice, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2