• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hunter x Hunter Slated for 45+ Episodes, Chihayafuru for 25

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't be time for a teaser? *me wants*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru gets a run longer than 11-13 episodes Razz
I'm the only person who cares... aren't i?
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
The problem with Viz and the lack of HxH OVA's in because not enough people bought the DVD's of the TV show for whatever reason.

For whatever reason? How about complete lack of marketing? There really isn't any way to watch the original online legally. Meanwhile, just about everything Viz has released besides HxH can be watched on Hulu or Netflix.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
The problem with Viz and the lack of HxH OVA's in because not enough people bought the DVD's of the TV show for whatever reason.

For whatever reason? How about complete lack of marketing?

There's also the issues on the last two sets which got them a bit of heat with people who like the show.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind an original ending, the manga got pretty bad down the road.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
I only ever read the manga so it would be nice to see a new version, preferably legal streaming somewhere like crunchy.
Rysis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
I Hope this new version will go to Chimera Ant Arc, since that arc is nearly ending currently. Atleast second season, if it just stops where the last anime ended thats just fail, since it would be pretty pointless to remake it then.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

As a big fan of Cardcaptor Sakura and Gunslinger Girl, I'm always looking forward to director Morio Asaka's latest work. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm a sports anime junkie. I'm hoping to learn a lot about Karuta (since everything I've seen is just basically the ref calling out some vague description and one person slapping a card away).
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering the bits of the original HxH anime and OVAs I've seen around the internet and at friend's houses, I fail to see how it could be considered "good" or "amazing". It was horribly censored, especially when compared to how Pierrot did Yu Yu Hakusho. And also taking into account that there was material left out of the anime that was in the manga in YYH, and they still had little-to-no filler in there.

I fully welcome this new anime from MADHOUSE, and hope that it does the series justice. If they cut the filler, cut the time killing, and don't include all the thought bubbles and introspection in the latest arcs, they could easily get through a majority of the manga, if not all the way through, in 45-50 episodes.

I look forward to it and hope that FUNimation gets it. Because as far as distribution of genres goes, Viz has a LOT more shounen on their plate as an overall portion of their anime "meal" than FUNimation does. And Viz's VAs just fail so hard, which is a big part of why I wanted no part of the anime, even though I would have liked to support the show, however badly it was adapted.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

I do.

Also I do hope HxH goes the Gecko Ending route like Soul Eater/FMA. Especially since they know in advance the manga is never going to end...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
And Viz's VAs just fail so hard, which is a big part of why I wanted no part of the anime, even though I would have liked to support the show, however badly it was adapted.

You do realize Viz doesn't have any VAs, right? They're one of the DVD companies that hands out the dubbing process to specific dubbing companies, only FUNimation and Sentai handle their own dubbing. So you can't really assume a future Viz dub is going to suck.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
teh *darkness, I don't think you know of much at all what you're talking about. There are a maximum of 2 filler episodes in the entire HxH series (I can only think of the boat challenge after the Trick Tower portion of the Hunter Exam). While there were select scenes which were edited, HxH still retained its grittiness. For instance, spoiler[Gon still loses his arm in the fight against Genthru].

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you simply watched the first couple of episodes and then assumed it would continue that way for the entire way. HxH's TV series anime adaptation (and later on with the OVAs) is one of the most faithful in terms of shounen adaptations.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you simply watched the first couple of episodes and then assumed it would continue that way for the entire way. HxH's TV series anime adaptation (and later on with the OVAs) is one of the most faithful in terms of shounen adaptations.

Because, god forbid someone judge weather or not to watch a show based on it's first few episodes.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
There is a difference between judging whether or not to watch a show and that of vocally lambasting 92 episodes based only on what was seen in couple of them. I hope you can see that difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2