• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you hate certain anime just because its popular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rakushun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering, naruto fan 09812, which anime do you think are unfairly biased because of their popularity? There are plenty of popular anime that get plenty of love, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and Evangelion.

When looking for my next anime, I sometimes listen to recommendations from friends, on the forums, or at the store. I sometimes watch what's available on the TV or what's on sale. Sometimes I just follow my nose. I'm more likely to hear about a show if it's popular, but popularity does not directly influence my choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't really hate something because of it's popularity, but I dislike shows that it's so long it doesn't look like it's going to end pretty soon. There are plenty of shows I could name that are popular but I really like like example Yu Yu Hakusho, HunterXHunter, Suzumiya Haruhi (of course), Rurouni Kenshin, Hajime no Ippo, Haibane Renmei, EVA, ok, enough of listing Razz. My limit to a show might be 120 eps. if it goes longer than that, I will lose interest. The longest show I probably finished watching is Dragon Ball to GT. Second would be Naruto which I gave up watching until Sasuke left them and Naruto tried to take him back, I watch every other episodes but I don't follow the series anymore, anyway, I might start following the Shipuuden but if that goes over a hundred eps. and if by chance it's trying to be longer than DragonBall, then I'd probably ignore it. I've seen Inu Yasha up to eps. 70+ but gave up because it suddenly bored me, I mean each eps. is about the shard if not... it's a filler Razz, I would also put Rurouni Kenshin, but I stopped watching it after Shiro Amakusa's arc and I think that was a great idea because the show might have plunge into the deepest unknown if I continued further. Popularity of an anime doesn't really bother me but the people who becomes retard about it. Like for example Suzumiya Haruhi, I know how popular Haruhi is, but unlike other fandom, Suzumiya Haruhi fandom isn't quite retarded compared to others like Naruto, DBZ, Inu Yasha, etc. etc.. The retardation I'm talking about series like DBZ, Naruto, Inu Yasha, is that the audience starts to think really really childish and annoying. As for Suzumiya Haruhi, they don't really act childish but sometimes, there are screws in their head that will come off without them knowing it, and before they realized, it was too late Razz I got goosebumps when I saw this GUY (at least he has some guts) trying to cosplay her... Anyway, have anyone here seen the massive Hare Hare Yukai dance with the police? That was quite funny Laughing , What can you say about their fandom??? Suzumiya Haruhi is a thought provoking show but don't you lose control of your body and let your thought be provoked for doing something retarded. Anime hyper
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Not liking something because a lot of other people lik eit is stupid. You can try to be a loner or try to cut yourself off so you won't end up in the state of mind that some people you may hate are. But if you don't try something because a lot of other people love it, you're probably losing out on something. Even worse is if you love something before it got poplular, then when it did you "stopped liking it", you're even more foolish than an 11 yr. old white girl who's dream idol is Paris Hilton. Why would you just halt the progress of your pleasure because others gain pleasure in it too?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes, there was a thread just like this one, and I think I have to say about the subject the same as I said in the other one, so I'll just leave it up to you to read what I wrote in it.

KyuuA4 wrote:

Naruto. Won't even try it. I've heard things about Naruto along the lines of "retardation" and "emo". Twisted Evil

Yes, I know what this may look like I'm doing here by quoting this specific one, but trust me, it's not what it seems to be.

I only quoted this specific one because it was the only one you listed that had to do with what other people think, even if it doesn't have anything to do with it's fandom. You really should try it for you're self. Now as I've already said, I'm not trying to be a crazed Naruto fan trying to force you into watching and liking a series you don't like, I'm just saying that it's true with pretty much anything. Watch it yourself before you make a final judgment on it. Who knows? You may end up liking it.

I mean, for example, you heard of it being called retarded, but probably only because it's both targeted for the pre-teen/teenage audiences, so it's pretty easy to understand and not this big complex thing that makes you think, either that or that there's too much brainless comic releif in it. Yet, you said you love Bleach and Inuyasha, and those two series are no less "retarded" in that sense as Naruto is, so really it comes down to personal preference.

You also heard of it being called emo, but that is really just a load of bullcrap. I mean, the usage of that word is utter imature bullcrap in the first place, and quite frankly it would make me personally less considerate of their opinions if I heard them use that word. But Naruto, yes, has it's fair share of "emo"Rolling Eyes characters and "emo"Rolling Eyes moments, but only because it has to in order to get it's point across, which is to fight as hard as you possibly can to overcome those things. If anything it's more of an inspirational series than an "emo" Rolling Eyes one.

I'll I'm really trying to say is just simply, try it for yourslef before you make your opinion of it. You can like or dislike it however you please afterwards. It's the same for pretty much anything, and I'd probably still say it if it were about any other series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
My first question is have you ever done this Narutofan? Are you so perfect that you've never dismissed an anime for some reason without giving it a shot? This seems like nothing more then an attempt to bolster more attention and support for shows like Naruto and Bleach, coincidentally shows the poster enjoys. Imagine that? Rolling Eyes I find most people who bring up a topic like this are simply angry because someone dared to bash their favorite Shonen Jump show. Not to mention most threads like this last a few pages before being locked before an impending flame war starts between the North and South at ANN.

Bitter sarcasm aside to answer the question no I don't HATE "insert title" because it's popular. However, if all I can freaking hear is "I love this show because it's so kawaaiiii" I am going to stay the bloody hell away from it until that stops. Once the hype dies down I will give the shows a chance. I simply don't like having every bloody idiot I see go on and on about the current popular show that's just simply the best ever. I like to watch my shows without that so I can judge them fairly on the merits of the show itself and not it's popularity. I did this with Full Metal Alchemist. Once Naruto and Bleach took off FMA was under the radar a fair amount and I could watch it in piece. While I wouldn't hold it in the high godly like regards most people do it was an enjoyable show that was pretty well done. I would've changed a fair amount of aspects of the show but overall it was well worth watching. Anything else that's very popular will get the same waiting period before I sit down to seriously watch the show.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
About fandom -- it's quite easy to tune it out. Just ignore it - by not talking to anyone about it. Until after y'finish watching it. That's also a great way to avoid spoilers for you Spoiler-Sensitive Types.

Speaking of spoilers, I require those to even get me started on an anime. Basically to answer the question: "Why should I even bother watching this series?" Common answers like "Just watch it", "It's good", or "Everyone else likes it" do not matter squat.

Elric wrote:
You really should try it for you're self. Now as I've already said, I'm not trying to be a crazed Naruto fan trying to force you into watching and liking a series you don't like, I'm just saying that it's true with pretty much anything. Watch it yourself before you make a final judgment on it. Who knows? You may end up liking it.

Alright. I'll give a reason on Naruto other than fandom impressions. I find the characters repulsive visually. I've at least seen still images.

Yes, I've even gone ahead and started watching an anime just by seeing an image. If it weren't for CC, I never would have started Code Geass. Laughing Twisted Evil I suppose the First Impressions phenomenon works in this fashion as well.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Alright. I'll give a reason on Naruto other than fandom impressions. I find the characters repulsive visually. I've at least seen still images.

Yes, I've even gone ahead and started watching an anime just by seeing an image. If it weren't for CC, I never would have started Code Geass. Laughing Twisted Evil I suppose the First Impressions phenomenon works in this fashion as well.

Okay, I guess that's fair enough to say. I've even had my fair share of times in which I've gotten into a series just simply because it looked good. Although I don't think I've ever disliked anything just simply because I didn't like the way it looked. But hey, to each his own, right? Wink
Schnickledooger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
GAWD, YES! I *HATE* FRUIT BASKETS WITH A VENGEANCE! Every time I go over to Tokyopop, the polls are always FB this and FB that! Tohru is the lamest, wimpiest girl in all of anime that I have seen. Sorry, I just don't get why people think its that popular. I actually read the manga up to what they had it (been a while back) and watch the show. Its Ok, but I really, there are better shows that out there.

Like Death Note Twisted Evil
pixiebell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I don't hate any anime just because it is popular. Now, I am not a Naruto fan. I watched about 20 episodes and then just lost interest. I really enjoyed Inu Yasha when it started, but now that I am past episode 100 I am starting to loose interest just a bit and I agree with the people that say it feels like mostly filler. However, Inu Yasha is one anime I am determined to finish if for no other reason then to see this "awful" ending everyone keeps talking about.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I have seen a bad trend of people hate a certain anime just because its popular. Matter of fact I heard people says point blank they hates certain anime because they are tired of hearing about its. Which is a sucky reason to hate a certain anime. But they are nothing compare to the people who bandwagon with the people who hates its. I ain forcing you like certain anime but at least give a good reason. Ok.

I certainly do NOT hate Anime for being popular at all. I have no qualms about popularity--the only way I could dislike a title is if it truly offends me.

-Jon T.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I've never hated any show simply because of fandom. I dropped Naruto after 50-60 episodes, because the fights were getting long, the characters started to lose my interest, and Naruto pulls off the great Deus ex Machina whenever he's about to be defeated. I've liked other shows that were popular, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, and Code Geass. Basically, if the show goes at a fair pace and can keep me interested, then I'll watch it. If a series goes at a slow pace, I probably won't enjoy it. Longer titles tend to be slower-paced, and the more popular shows(Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc) just happen to be very, very long series.

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
About fandom -- it's quite easy to tune it out. Just ignore it - by not talking to anyone about it. Until after y'finish watching it. That's also a great way to avoid spoilers for you Spoiler-Sensitive Types.

I agree wholeheartedly... seriously, for the most part, one has to use the internet to immerse themselves in the fandom. It's not that hard to avoid websites dedicated to/board threads about uber-popular shows if you don't want to get a sour taste in your mouth over them.

I find it's not rmega-popularity that can kill a show for me... it's if someone I see on a daily basis develops a raging, annoying obssession with it. I had a friend like this in high school- when she liked a show, she liked ONLY that show. But she didn't like the whole show... she liked 1 1/2-3 episodes. Which meant we had to watch those episodes. Every day. Over and over. Naturally, I eventually developed a serious dislike of these shows, simply for the overkill. i was really kinda sad, becuase a couple of these shows I really enjoyed to start with. (I'm still hoping for the distaste of Excel Saga to wear off.)

KyuuA4 wrote:

I do this all the time- let's see, I bought Shana for artwork's sake, along with Utawarerumono, World of Narue, Ruin Explorers... I bought Kodocha and Haruhi for the goodies with vol. 1, I bought Magic Users Club/Maho Tsuki Tai for the free promo poster. I bought Trigun becuase the Todd McFarlane Vash figure was cool, and i didn't want to buy a figure for a show I hadn't seen.

Lucky for me, all but three of these shows have proven to be some of my favorites. (Magic Users Club and Trigun sit in the 'pretty good category'- although I liked Trigun a lot more when I frst bought it. and I haven't seen the Haruhi DVD yet of course, so the jury's out on that one.)

I've come to the conclusion that if something can stimulate you to buy it based on a simple drawing, then you're likely to love it for the pleasure of just seeing said art.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
JOINERIC wrote:
Its typically the older more mature anime fans that tend to have a bias against really popular anime.

For some of us older anime fans, it's not so much that we have a bias towards popular anime, it's that the anime titles I like to watch are stuff that will never break out of the niche.

I don't care for popular shounen action shows, but I don't care for unpopular shounen action shows either.

There's "popular" anime I like, like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but that's the sort of anime that's popular within the fandom niche but will never be a breakout hit on the scale of Naruto or Inu Yasha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
I will confess that popularity will have something to do with why I will watch a series but that's because I still consider myself a relative newcomer to anime (even though I've been watching it since 1998). I'm still learning about new and wonderful shows and since new and wonderful shows will always be coming out (hopefully), I'll keep watching them.

But popularity doesn't have every thing to do with my choices. It also has to do with: Will I like the genre? Do I like the way the characters look? I flat out do not watch horror, I've watched some...Hellsing (the original), Vampire Hunter D (which still gives me nightmares think about certain scenes...giant chicken that I am) and I'm watching Blood + on Cartoon Network. BUT, I will never watch Elfin Lied and I know that several people on here, who's opinion that I respect, think that it's a great series...gory as hell but great.

But, do I hate a series because it's popular...no, it's because either 1) I tried it and didn't like it or 2) the genre just isn't my style.

Edit: fixed stupid mistake Psycho pointed out. Embarassed

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
i have friend who hate Dragon Ball because it's long(many eps) even though he never watched it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3