• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Films' U.S. Premieres at Newport Beach Fest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reliak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the first movie (haven't seen the second), in spite of all the changes. And the Ryuk CGI was kick*ss. Hope this means they'll get a US DVD release...
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The joke's on the Newport Beach Film Festival. Our school already premiered the first film Laughing.

But yeah it's great that they're "officially" premiering the films in America. I've told my non-otaku friends about the first film and they thought it sounded awesome.
tinlunlau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
well, i bought the live-action Death Note movie dvd boxset already. (content-wise, i'd recommend getting the region 3 hong kong edition since everything is subtitled in english. package-wise, the japanese and korean editions are good but lack english subs)

i wouldn't say it's the best movies ever but at least, they've made a shot-for-shot exact scene here and there. it's more apparent in the sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I loved the special effects they did with the movie, but I was pretty much bored to death because the movie followed everything a little too exactly. If you are a die-hard hardcore fan, the movie is great. If you have not read the manga or seen the anime, the movie is great. But if you have read the managa or seen the anime, you may be dissapointed that they didn't do something different with it.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I have to say I loved the special effects they did with the movie, but I was pretty much bored to death because the movie followed everything a little too exactly... But if you have read the managa or seen the anime, you may be dissapointed that they didn't do something different with it.

Uh... you're kidding, right?
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Wooohooooo! Very Happy

Not only do I get to see Paprika again, but now there's Death Note as well. Am ever so excited. *bounces with giddy anticipation*

Cloe -- Congrats on your featured film! I do hope I get to meet you at the festival. Smile
subaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Wow, the movies have come to our shores? Is VIZ Media doing the distribution, and will the movies be subbed/dubbed? I've been told that while the movies don't exactly have the best CGI, they're really exciting if the first one is quite corny with the "childhood friend" angle. I know nothing of the second movie.

Also, will someone explain this?

>>English cast:
>>Shigeki Hosokawa as Raye Iwamatsu

I'm fortunate enough to have seen both movies. CGI wasn't that good.... the acting for the CGI characters were very stiff...... Didn't like the casting for Light..... L was excellent. And yes, the race for the character Raye in the movie has been changed to Japanese from American..... reason.... maybe its because its hard to find an American actor who can speak in fluent japanese...... just a guess.....
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
yay I've only seen part of the first movie, so now I'll actually get to finish it Razz

and I wouldn't mind seeing Paprika again either...maybe I can leave work early
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Also, will someone explain this?

>>English cast:
>>Shigeki Hosokawa as Raye Iwamatsu

The submitted had made a mistake, and I've fixed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I would SO buy these if released on DVD; in fact, that's what I'm waiting for! If they aren't released on DVD in the US, I'll be sadly disappointed.......THEY'RE GREAT~! I love the movie(s) ending! <3

Actually, I'd SO go see them in theaters if they aired where I lived but (hahahahaha) that would NEVER happen. It would probably be banned where Iive (some still think Pokemon is evil Very Happy, hahaha). It's hard enough trying to explain some of my OTHER anime movies much less this~ Very Happy

I love the "Death Note" movies~! (especially the 2nd one~!)

I'm kinda growing a soft-spot for live-action Japanese movies....

What I DON'T want to see is a sad US remake of the movies. Not saying all the Japanese to US movies were bad but......this is 'Death Note' and seeing it Americanized would be highly disturbing.
SpectreHD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Watched both, some parts of the movies follow exactly what happened in the anime which actually becomes quite boring considering some parts of the anime takes more than 1ep to cover. But then there are still massive changes to story line. But it had to change or we'd have a movie way longer than LoTR Trilogy.

They could have chosen an actor who is better looking yet able to make an eveil face. All in all, I say the movie was not bad.

PS, Rem did die in the 2nd movie...
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote
tinlunlau wrote:
well, i bought the live-action Death Note movie dvd boxset already. (content-wise, i'd recommend getting the region 3 hong kong edition since everything is subtitled in english. package-wise, the japanese and korean editions are good but lack english subs)

Not true. I bought the Korean edition last week, and it DEFINATELY has English subs, just not for the disc 3 extra features. The packaging is absolutely gorgeous, and it's CHEAP. Don't let Amazon fool you. The retail price is $35.00, NOT $70!!

Turkishproverb wrote:
I just want them to bring over the japanese movies. from the clips I've seen, they're great. Awsome CGI, good acting, well written.

Unfortunately, they lied to you about the good acting bit. Light and Misa are both pretty weak. It's L, Watari, and Yagami Sochiro that really shine in this movie.

Now, to address the ending spoiler-free. It is almost identical to the manga ending, except that they resolve it in the first story arc, not the second one (some character changes are obviously necessary). That, and Yotsuba doesn't exist in the second movie. I liked the movie ending better, but I also really liked the manga's ending, so take from it what you will.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
I didn't want the shitty movies to get brought over here. They are complete crap compared to the manga and anime. They don't follow the manga AT ALL. And if a shinigami kills someone to save someone's life, they DIE. But not in the movies! Rem shows up and is just like "Yeah, Misa, I'll save you.' Oh and by the way, Rem is a GIRL. Something the makers of the movie didn't understand. Usually to make a movie based on something, you have to read it first.

Sorry for the double post. I missed this one.

Super Ska Master, you *did* read the manga, right? They shortened the tale, but the same story was there. And, well, the whole relationship between Rem and Misa was EXACTLY the same as the manga. So, I ask again, you did read the manga, right?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Don't ask me how, but I saw a copy of the first Death Note movie. It was pretty terrible. Well, relatively. It wasn't really bad, but it felt pretty run of the mill. It just didn't seem to live up to the book. Pretty much your typical Hollywood movie adaptation, except here's it's from Japan. I didn't care for the changes. I guess I'm spoiled by other more faithful manga adaptations.

Also, how the can we say the acting was all that good if we don't understand the language? I personally tend to find Japanese acting is a bit more cartoonish than what you see in US dramas. That didn't seem to help.

Me? I'll wait for the anime.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Super Ska Master wrote:
I didn't want the shitty movies to get brought over here. They are complete crap compared to the manga and anime. They don't follow the manga AT ALL. And if a shinigami kills someone to save someone's life, they DIE. But not in the movies! Rem shows up and is just like "Yeah, Misa, I'll save you.' Oh and by the way, Rem is a GIRL. Something the makers of the movie didn't understand. Usually to make a movie based on something, you have to read it first.

Sorry for the double post. I missed this one.

Super Ska Master, you *did* read the manga, right? They shortened the tale, but the same story was there. And, well, the whole relationship between Rem and Misa was EXACTLY the same as the manga. So, I ask again, you did read the manga, right?

the movies follow pretty much the core of the manga but made lots of alterations to fit in the time restraints for a 2 hour movie and the whole manga is compressed into these 2 movies. Rem being female is debatable since to my understanding, shinigamis are genderless but the VA in the anime is female and rem shows feminine characteristics but the movie has it as a male voice. Needless to say i think the manga/anime was much more cleverly written and presented than the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3