• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Magic Knight Rayearth Manga Gets New Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
This is huge for me. Rayearth was incredibly formulative to me growing up. I do wonder what form it'll take though. The anime went off and did its own thing in the second half while the manga did its own thing for the second half as well.

I don't think either side is perfect at all but I also wouldn't really want that to change at all since both sides offer some really good ideas in the long run, especially for Hikaru in the anime's case (even if it results in First Half Hikaru and Second Half Hikaru being wildly different characters for better or worse); its just the execution's all over the place.

The way it reads makes me think reboot/remake but it also reads like it could be a continuation as well.

If its a remake/reboot though, I wouldn't mind them incorporating stuff from both sides of the original + some of the newer stuff they've done for Rayearth (like giving Lantis his own Mashin) The second half of the manga is incredibly straight forward and honestly kind of bland in general but it works for what it is. For the most part. spoiler[Absolutely despise the Mokona twist personally. That was a really bizarre ass pull.] The original anime on the other hand outright collapses under its own weight because of the combination of adapting a 3/4 volume series into a full year so that entire first arc is dragged out incredibly long in the process. Even the original anime stuff ends up dragging out because of the episode count.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, this remake is a test run to see if a remake of the Iczer-One anime is viable. Laughing

Dang, these past couple days we're getting old shows revival announcements. Talk about timing!
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Never seen or read Fushigi Yugi...

GO. WATCH. NOW. Smile

Fushigi Yûgi is epic, and what isekai should have remained instead of the MMC as self-insert in a power fantary pap.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Rayearth was one of those important manga for me that I read growing up and I read it in high school right after getting into Cardcaptor Sakura and learning about CLAMP manga. Rayearth was perfect for me at the time because it felt like Sailor Moon but with a deeper theme to it and that twist ending to the first arc still has a major impact on me and the kinds of fantasy stories I like. I pretty much expected a reboot would happen eventually because it's CLAMP but I wasn't expecting it this suddenly. With the recent news Pierrot is doing a new magical girl anime, I have my suspicions about what studio could be adapting this.
lucio542

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Omg, i wacthed it 11 years ago and still like it to this day.
Didn't know that it was this famous to get a new anime after all these years.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:26 pm Reply with quote
On a list of things I never expected to see, a Magic Knight Rayearth remake is pretty high up there.

Hope this turns out well.
Amritzer wrote:
Now I wonder what will they bring back next?

Digimon Tamers?
Escaflowne?
Yu Yu Hakusho?

I saw on X that there could be Jigoku Sensei Nube remake.

We did get the live-action Yu Yu Hakusho at least.

I wouldn't want them to bring back Escaflowne and then CG the Guymelef's. It just wouldn't look right.
redvelvetdoll wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Fushigi Yugi???

Please god no. Could never replicate the magic of the Pierrot anime for me. I'd rather they pick an unadapted Watase manga instead

I'd rather they adapt Genbu spinoff than remake the original.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Wait what? No f*ckin way! Magic Knight Rayearth is one of my favourites from CLAMP, I remember watching this when I was 13 and enjoyed it. Isekai shows weren't even a norm when this anime first aired.
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:40 pm Reply with quote
As a Rayearth latecomer (read and watched it just a couple years ago, quickly becoming my favorite CLAMP work), I think the anime's more than fine as-is, but can see where it'd be nice to give it the Crystal treatment.

Really though, if studios are gonna revisit older titles, I'd rather see more Bastard's- giving the proper series treatment to stories that only ever got an OVA (looking at you, Battle Angel Alita and Gunsmith Cats).
asura_wings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:57 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Obviously, this remake is a test run to see if a remake of the Iczer-One anime is viable. Laughing

Dang, these past couple days we're getting old shows revival announcements. Talk about timing!

It is also possibly, a test run of a remake of Tokyo Babylon in another studio.
Anne F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I literally screamed when my friend showed me the announcement. Rayearth was the very first manga I read back in middle school and is one of my all-time favorite series. Rayearth and Ranma 1/2 are so special to me and I'm beyond ecstatic that both are getting new anime adaptations. I was really hoping both would eventually and the fact that they actually are is a dream come true.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:36 am Reply with quote
redvelvetdoll wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Fushigi Yugi???

Please god no. Could never replicate the magic of the Pierrot anime for me. I'd rather they pick an unadapted Watase manga instead

FY Genbu Kaiden when?

I am really happy for this remake especially if it means more shoujo isekai will be adapted, which would include FY Genbu Kaiden.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:50 am Reply with quote
With how many live action remakes there's been I feel like we're due a new anime of Hana Yori Dango as far as shojo reboots go.
Rowri8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:08 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
No doubt about it, we are now living in the classic 80s revival era.

Almost anything that was remotely a hit back in this decade will probably see more new projects be it remakes sequels or revivals.

The anime was a mid-90s anime, the manga was an early 90s anime.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:11 am Reply with quote
Wow, that is awesome! Just saw the trailer.

darkchibi07 wrote:

If only Laughing
It'll never happen but I'd love to see it, would be there day one lol.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:28 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: I was the one who added all the characters, and 99% pictures for Iczer titles on MAL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5