• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! Games Remove 2 Songs by Pusu Following Attempted Murder of Teena

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
No body has any business dating an 18-19 year old in their 30s.

18 and 19 yo are legal adults (as of recently, in Japan as well). Nobody has any business telling what consenting adults should or shouldn't do.

Glordit wrote:
18 and 19 are still teenagers but are classified as adults. No one knows any of the details anyway. They could have been consenting for all we know. Attempted murder is also a serious crime but let's just ignore that and focus on the age difference.

My thoughts exactly. And here I thought that somebody almost getting killed was the real issue. Domestic violence is the most frequent crime in Portugal where I'm from, and there's been an increase in murder within a DV context. That stuff, to me, matters more than if one element of the couple was 23 and the other was 47, which, in the ever dumbifying discourse on the Internet, would already be classified as paedophilia. Way to be paternalistic towards young adults, people.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Either way, semantics about what a “pedo” is or isn’t, this is a messed-up situation. I don’t care whether the girl is “legal” or not. Just because she may or may not be 18 or 19 or whatnot, it’s weird as hell for a man in his 30s to be dating someone that young. Just because it’s “legal” doesn’t mean it’s at least incredibly questionable.

Also, we don’t know how he met this now hopefully ex-girlfriend. We don’t know how long they’ve been dating; he could’ve met her when she wasn’t a legal adult yet! She could’ve liked the music he was making and they met that way…we just don’t know. All we can really do is either speculate or keep fighting amongst one another how morally or legally “right” it is for a 30-something year-old to be with someone almost half their age.

In no way am I minimizing the attempted murder aspect either; that’s a disturbing thing to do no matter how old the person was that almost lost their life. It’s just that that fact combined that the girl could have been underage or 18/19 is a terrible combination. Pusu definitely had the upper hand in this relationship due to his age and occupation.

I really really hope this girl is safe and she’s able to get the proper care and treatment that she needs.
Lily70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:
Betty Sue Dubroski wrote:
Why are people focusing on the age technicality argument and not the murder suicide attempt. Shocked That's the biggest thing to me and I'm glad she was able to get out of there.

I feel the same way. It's surprising how many opinions are formed without all the information.

Even if you may not have all the information, if you have a person being accused and most likely will be convicted of a murder suicide attempt, 99% of the time opinions will most likely be negative
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Mami-kouga wrote:

18 and 19 yo are legal adults (as of recently, in Japan as well). Nobody has any business telling what consenting adults should or shouldn't do. .

Nobody in their 30s has any business dating an 18-19 year old, in case I didn't make myself clear the first time. It's not about legality, it's a sizable maturity gap.

And even putting that aside this guy just sucks ass anyway
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
Mami-kouga wrote:

18 and 19 yo are legal adults (as of recently, in Japan as well). Nobody has any business telling what consenting adults should or shouldn't do. .

Nobody in their 30s has any business dating an 18-19 year old, in case I didn't make myself clear the first time. It's not about legality, it's a sizable maturity gap.

And even putting that aside this guy just sucks ass anyway

Yes, the guy sucks ass, and deserves more than just the slap in the wrist that's typical of japanese society. Like, a real prison sentence. But in case I wasn't clear enough myself, once you are of age of majority, you make your own relationship and sexuality decisions, and yes, for me this is a matter of morality. People own their own lives. Nobody else.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Quote:
18 and 19 yo are legal adults (as of recently, in Japan as well). Nobody has any business telling what consenting adults should or shouldn't do.

Yes people who are of age can do anything they want to that is legal. However others, especially friends and family are within their rights to withhold their approval and cooperation. A person of 18 dating someone nearly twice their age may be perfectly legal (depending on jurisdiction) but it is rarely a good idea. Anyone who knows either of them is well within their own rights to express their disapproval and attempt to talk them out of it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Yes people who are of age can do anything they want to that is legal. However others, especially friends and family are within their rights to withhold their approval and cooperation. A person of 18 dating someone nearly twice their age may be perfectly legal (depending on jurisdiction) but it is rarely a good idea. Anyone who knows either of them is well within their own rights to express their disapproval and attempt to talk them out of it.

Yes, in the same way as I'd advice a friend of mine against dating someone I found sketchy for whatever reason, and yes, age disparity doesn't inspire much trust in me. The thing is, I could be wrong about said hypothetical person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2