• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Really great review!

I was honestly impressed with how much they fit into this special and how the animation quality didn't dip at all throughout its run. Slightly bummed about the 8-month wait for the rest, but it is what it is. I've seen the end, at least; I can wait.

I keep hearing people say that the animation quality was top notch, and I won't dispute that there was a lot of gorgeous animation. However, I'd personally rate the visuals as 8.75 out of 10, which is still pretty damn good. When compared to most animated series in this day and age, the animation in this special is like night and day, but by AoT's standards, I noticed some dips in quality, like spoiler[the scene with Hange, Erwin, and the other deceased Scouts]. I imagine the Blu Ray release will fix moments like that, but I think this "episode" could have benefited from more time in production. Then again, I'd be terrified to hear how many hours of work already went into this special (and during such a short window of time).

What the hell about the scene had "dips in quality"? All of the characters looked on-model and there was not any other type of weird visual inconsistency. Sometimes, I get the genuine impression that you people just watch the episode in slow-motion just to pick out minor flaws instead of actually judging it accordingly.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
There were some compositing issues between the characters and the CG. It was most noticeable to me when the characters were hanging around on Eren's bones. It wasn't enough for me to say it was "bad" or anything but it was noticeable while watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Really great review!

I was honestly impressed with how much they fit into this special and how the animation quality didn't dip at all throughout its run. Slightly bummed about the 8-month wait for the rest, but it is what it is. I've seen the end, at least; I can wait.

I keep hearing people say that the animation quality was top notch, and I won't dispute that there was a lot of gorgeous animation. However, I'd personally rate the visuals as 8.75 out of 10, which is still pretty damn good. When compared to most animated series in this day and age, the animation in this special is like night and day, but by AoT's standards, I noticed some dips in quality, like spoiler[the scene with Hange, Erwin, and the other deceased Scouts]. I imagine the Blu Ray release will fix moments like that, but I think this "episode" could have benefited from more time in production. Then again, I'd be terrified to hear how many hours of work already went into this special (and during such a short window of time).

I didn't say it was top notch, just that it didn't dip at all(There's nothing wrong with the scene you mention as far as I'm concerned). Regardless, the animation in this special was much better than much of S4 Part 2, where a lot of the action-light episodes looked rather poor.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
For some reason adult Eren reminds me to Char Aznable in Counterattack than Lelouch. Both Char and Eren became one of the biggest monster in Mankind ando while the latter has the Rumbling, Char nearly destroys Earth and some áreas with Axis. The Big difference I see is that Isayama is not afraid of showing his villain fragile while Char remains awfully cool until his death where he starts talking about Lalah.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

P.S.: By the way, during the rumbling scene at the beginning, there's a married couple that's trapped in a room, and the wife tells the husband that "judgment day has come" for them. Are those Eren's grandparents? If so, that's a cool little anime only addition. It looks like they were detained after Zeke's betrayal, and then the Marleyans simply left them there once they saw the rumbling coming.

Yep, it was.
proper1420

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps just those words that the old horseman spoke, when the seals were being broken at the close of a different story: “Come and see.”

I'll probably feel stupid when I hear the answer, but what is this a reference to?

Presumably the Book of Revelation from the Bible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_seals

If so it's a mangled reference; it's the six-winged many-eyed beasts (or living beings) that say, "Come and see," when the first four seals (of the four horsemen) are broken, and this occurs in the first third of Revelation. Maybe the reference is to one of the Come and See movies.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Great episode. I think I would have preferred that they just wait till the second half was done and just release it all at once though.

It was odd that Ramzi et al were in a mountainous forest while the city was under assault by the rumbling, and then in a city. Did they manage to out run the titans all the way to another city or is there just a disconnect here?

invalidname wrote:
Picking up again after a year away makes it so difficult to keep up with all the details. To wit, whatever became of Historia and her pregnancy? I noticed one pregnant character in a quick whip-around sequence, but lost track of whether that was Historia or just another rando victim.

Guess that will be in part 2. Don't know how relevant it is, but I doubt they'd leave it out. It seemed like this was someone else though, especially considering how brief it was.
Impermanence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Very happy this is over. Glad to move on to a time in anime where people aren't revering a mass murderer.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Impermanence wrote:
Very happy this is over. Glad to move on to a time in anime where people aren't revering a mass murderer.

Oh you sweet summer child, that'll never happen

Anime (and really fiction in general) has a long history of morally questionable or villainous characters with lots of blood on their hands and historically many of said characters have been extremely popular
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Incredible review James. Bravo. It might be one of, if not the best, piece written on ANN. And there is a lot of great work on the site. Your review made me rethink and reconsider a lot about AOT and it is those insights that bring me back to your writing time and time again.

My last word on AOT is just to say that I called it: That overall, anime-only AOT fans seem fine with the ending and it isn't the world ending cataclysm others seemed deeply, deeply, (way too deeply) invested in seeing. James was spot on in calling out the fundamental misunderstanding people had with the series. Hopefully this will shift the discourse somewhat and leave room for people to actually discuss the ending (the good and the bad).

To all of those people who were drooling for a hate-storm: sorry you wasted your time! Better luck next franchise! Maybe you can complain about Rick and Morty next? Or Demon Slayer?

EDIT: Case and point...the comment directly below this one. Woof.

Last edited by Connor Dino on Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
A few pebbles on the road were shifted in this adaptation of Vol 34 but none of it matters and some of the mini revisions (Isayama requested to help with storyboards in this special) are for the worse. Armin, a wet blanket since day one, comes off as even more unhinged despite his infamous line that sweeps away a genocide being removed. Min 51, the first cabin vision, is where this slips into being a Neil Breen film. Fateful Findings - The Animation.
Vol 23-34 are forever ruined through this conclusion despite some of the best bits of the manga being after the time skip. spoiler[Beren walking into the tree to start the 3rd cycle] is what I will hate the most about the finale. Ymir loving her rapist, mutilator and enslavor of their children (added in the printed Vol 34 and missing in the magazine version of Chap 139) comes thereafter. Third is the doubling down on fascism being the right answer proving Polygon´s infamous article on AoT right. Sigh. A 2021 Polygon article addressing the ending with a link to the original 2019 piece that threw down the gauntlet so I don´t need to link both:https://www.polygon.com/22392043/attack-on-titan-ending-analysis-manga-final-chapter-139
I hate to admit it, as I too clowned on them in 2019, but they 100% were right. Not the legacy a war comic for middle and high school boys should leave behind but here we are.
spoiler[A 99% genocide of all life on earth would have saved the day you all! Lol. Eren saying that the calculated 80% destruction would level the playing field of tech is anime original but that would destroy the ecosystem and kill all life on Earth so I don´t know.] Vol 34 might be 1% less idiotic than the special after weighing all the adjustments and expansions of scenes. The author is most likely some sort of libertarian who simply holds toxic views on imperial Japan and fails to understand what the Alan Moore comics he loves are trying to say but we may never know.

I would be angry about everything with Historia during S4 but her character was never coherent to begin with. Long live Farmer-kun! I would love to blame it all on chapters 138 and 139 but the rot started before that. Going all in on holocaust imagery, Paths and the Rumbling were simply too much and the story was driven into a corner by the time the final regular episode concluded. Watching S4 Part 2 and beyond with an eye on where it all goes off the rails due to knowing the exact ending was quite the journey. Can´t blame MAPPA though. They did a better job than WIT, both here and on Vinland Saga. 2/10 ending, a 3/10 TV special (movie-level animation can´t polish a poisoned script) and an 8/10 show. For the record: GoT´s ending makes more sense but it has 2 bad seasons. AoT has half a bad special. Is AoT the defining anime of its decade? Sure. What was the best anime that ran during AoT´s reign? Probably the Mushishi continuations. Or Vinland Saga.

The new chapter, Bad Boy, which releases next spring is a prequel about Levi´s childhood so it´s unlikely that the ending will be shifted for a 3rd time. Levi and his "found family" are the only characters that participated in Vol 34 and got a coherent ending. No more retcons Isayama, pls!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rowri8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:21 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A few pebbles on the road were shifted in this adaptation of Vol 34 but none of it matters and some of the mini revisions (Isayama requested to help with storyboards in this special) are for the worse. Armin, a wet blanket since day one, comes off as even more unhinged despite his infamous line that sweeps away a genocide being removed. Min 51, the first cabin vision, is where this slips into being a Neil Breen film. Fateful Findings - The Animation.
Vol 23-34 are forever ruined through this conclusion despite some of the best bits of the manga being after the time skip. spoiler[Beren walking into the tree to start the 3rd cycle] is what I will hate the most about the finale. Ymir loving her rapist, mutilator and enslavor of their children (added in the printed Vol 34 and missing in the magazine version of Chap 139) comes thereafter. Third is the doubling down on fascism being the right answer proving Polygon´s infamous article on AoT right. Sigh. A 2021 Polygon article addressing the ending with a link to the original 2019 piece that threw down the gauntlet so I don´t need to link both:https://www.polygon.com/22392043/attack-on-titan-ending-analysis-manga-final-chapter-139
I hate to admit it, as I too clowned on them in 2019, but they 100% were right. Not the legacy a war comic for middle and high school boys should leave behind but here we are.
spoiler[A 99% genocide of all life on earth would have saved the day you all! Lol. Eren saying that the calculated 80% destruction would level the playing field of tech is anime original but that would destroy the ecosystem and kill all life on Earth so I don´t know.] Vol 34 might be 1% less idiotic than the special after weighing all the adjustments and expansions of scenes. The author is most likely some sort of libertarian who simply holds toxic views on imperial Japan and fails to understand what the Alan Moore comics he loves are trying to say but we may never know.

I would be angry about everything with Historia during S4 but her character was never coherent to begin with. Long live Farmer-kun! I would love to blame it all on chapters 138 and 139 but the rot started before that. Going all in on holocaust imagery, Paths and the Rumbling were simply too much and the story was driven into a corner by the time the final regular episode concluded. Watching S4 Part 2 and beyond with an eye on where it all goes off the rails due to knowing the exact ending was quite the journey. Can´t blame MAPPA though. They did a better job than WIT, both here and on Vinland Saga. 2/10 ending, a 3/10 TV special (movie-level animation can´t polish a poisoned script) and an 8/10 show. For the record: GoT´s ending makes more sense but it has 2 bad seasons. AoT has half a bad special. Is AoT the defining anime of its decade? Sure. What was the best anime that ran during AoT´s reign? Probably the Mushishi continuations. Or Vinland Saga.

The new chapter, Bad Boy, which releases next spring is a prequel about Levi´s childhood so it´s unlikely that the ending will be shifted for a 3rd time. Levi and his "found family" are the only characters that participated in Vol 34 and got a coherent ending. No more retcons Isayama, pls!

I don't know I like it lol, I haven't went deep into it with all the politics you mentioned ( I don't understand what a polygon is lol), especially about my country's history of imperial Japan, I never saw it that way, it was a dark way to tell the story for a dark manga, that's about it lol. It was a nice, some kind-of code geass type of ending. I think Westerners tend to overthink anime sometimes, which is fine, but I just don't see the ending in a political way
Gnarth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
This is truly the end of an era. Undoubtedly one of my favourite anime of all time finally comes to its close, and what a journey it was. Spectacular action, shocking plot twists, complex narrative, thought-provoking themes that accompanied me for years and had me incredibly excited for this finale, having somehow managed to completely avoid spoilers. That is, except for how divisive it was and how many readers straight up hated it (and not just the endlessly obnoxious haters), which honestly made me even more curious to see it.

And I gotta say, I think it's great. It's bold, interesting and doesn't pander to either of the extreme "factions" among the audience, not the Eren stans who wanted him to win or at least survive, and not those who wanted him to be a Marvel supervillain because of his unforgivable actions. Instead, it simply shows him as a human, acknowledging his worth as a person and friend and his eventual downfall into a genocidal murderer.

The conversation between Eren and Armin is surely one of the most controversial parts of this ending, but I thought it was brilliant and thematically consistent: Eren has never matured beyond that child who screamed and vowed revenge. He swore to annihilate his enemies that he thought were the Titans, mindless monsters, and when he found out his real enemies were humans, he couldn't give up his freedom, he couldn't give up his revenge so he gave up his humanity and morality instead. He suppressed his emotions and became a shell of himself in order to accomplish his childish dream of "destroying the enemy". In that moment he finally drops the facade and yes, he's pathetic, but he's also the perfect representation of the foolishness and absurdity of war. Because wars are childish: theroetically, we could avoid them almost every time if only we were willing to talk, compromise and understand; but we all have a child deep down that would break everything rather than change or listen. Yes, this is a simplification of a very interesting concept but it works really well here. This is why Eren and Ymir are shown as their child selves in the paths.
As Kenny said, everyone is a slave to something: Eren is a slave to freedom. There's really no better way to put it than this beautiful, meaningful oxymoron.

God, there is so much to talk about here but I don't want to write a titanic post, so I'll just cut it here. But I absolutely have to mention how this review is probably the best I've ever read on ANN (alongside the latest Evangelion one). Hats off to James here: I've always found your AoT reviews interesting even when we disagreed, but you really outdone yourself for the specials. Big respect for not getting influenced and openly refuting all the "AoT is fascist" nonsense.
DCR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Impermanence wrote:

Dragon Ball says hello.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
DCR wrote:
Impermanence wrote:

Dragon Ball says hello.

Please you are gonna make Vegeta and Frieza blush
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5