• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Game Awards 2022 Reveals Nominees

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:10 am Reply with quote
The fact that XIV never gets a music nomination is a crime.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:15 am Reply with quote
Didn't God of War just come out? Far be it from me to actively put stock in the game awards as anything but an advertisement and commercial stage, especially after last year, but nominating a game before people even got to play it seems pretty blatant on what these are actually about.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:44 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Didn't God of War just come out? Far be it from me to actively put stock in the game awards as anything but an advertisement and commercial stage, especially after last year, but nominating a game before people even got to play it seems pretty blatant on what these are actually about.
Ain't the first time though - Dragon Age: Inquisition literally came out at the same time as GoW: Ragnarok and won Best Game Awards. There were also Fallout 4 which came in November, Red Dead Redemption 2 which came in late October - and several games like AssCreeds, COD games, and Battlefield which came in less than a month before the actual nominations.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Anything that comes out before the cutoff date is eligible, regardless of how close it is. That said, recency bias is a thing.

Just missing the date kind of worked out for Cyberpunk, ironically. People assumed it was GOTY material, came out a total mess, and then had a year of work put into it that managed to claw its way into a best RPG nomination.

Looking at the list, I could see this year being sort of a reverse of 2018. Red Dead Redemption 2 won multiple awards, so people were a bit surprised that God of War came away with GOTY. I think it's very possible that Ragnarok wins multiple awards, but Elden Ring comes out with the GOTY.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Anything that comes out before the cutoff date is eligible, regardless of how close it is. That said, recency bias is a thing.
Well while recency bias is a thing for nominations, it totally not comes to voting, because outside of the same Dragon Age: Inquisition at first TGA, every single winner of the Best Game Award came out a few months before the actual show, in spring - outside of TLOU2, and it wasn't even that far away with early summer.
Vickey Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:09 am Reply with quote
I'm just surprised Xenoblade got a nomination for GOTY. Didn't think it was mainstream Americas cup of tea. I'd still pick Elden Ring though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I've at least seen some theorizing that Xenoblade would get a nomination in part because there weren't as many stand-out games that would be the more typical types to get a nomination. It isn't a knock on Xenoblade, which is a good game, but like you said, it isn't one of the more traditional picks, and might not have made it in more stacked years.

The weirdest nomination to me is Sifu for Best Fighting Game. It's not really a fighting game in any usual sense, and sticks out among the other nominees. I don't know if that is because they wanted to broaden the definition of the category, or just didn't think anything else should have been nominated just to fill a spot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2