• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Anime Declares Winner of Pokémon World Coronation Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:17 pm Reply with quote
So isn't Ash supposed to wake up from a coma now (this is a joke)?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
You know this show is an institution when sports blogs posted about it.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
I have to say his current team probably has the more characterization and camaraderie than any other generation. They all have personality and get a chance to shine.

His current team were barely ever on screen together because of the show's format, they have basically no camaraderie. Same with characterization, where Ash taking a backseat to Go for most of the show meant that we barely got anything from his Pokemon. Like seriously try to tell me anything about his Dragonite or Dracovish.

Dragonite definitely didn't get much other than being a gentle hugger and the Iris battle, but Dracovish has a lot of character and is close with Sirfetch'd. The Drasna mini arc, the Cynthia battle and the episode last week showed this.

That's three episodes out of 135, and you're being incredibly generous by saying that any of those episodes said anything about Dracovish beyond it being able to battle. Trying to say that's in any way comparable to stuff like Hawlucha taking Noibat under its wing from previous seasons is a joke.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:58 pm Reply with quote
MY BOY FINALLY DID IT

All the hype in the world and he brings it home! I haven't watched past the first few episodes of Sun and Moon but I'm still ecstatic. Every Pokemon viewer who had to watch Ash get shredded by Tobias can finally rejoice for our boy.

Thank you, Pokemon! Congrats, Ash Ketchum and Pikachu!
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
#sukkar wrote:
Seriously, mad props for keeping the spoilers well hidden, even the official twitter account didn't do that.

The thumbnail on this article spoils the winner though

yeah, that's a weird choice. Ash is showing 1 pokemon left, Leon is showing zero .. i wonder who won?!?!?! But we don't want to spoil it
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

This is what happens when questionable writing for over 2 decades renders you as a habitual also ran.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:09 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

This is what happens when questionable writing for over 2 decades renders you as a habitual also ran.

I always thought it was good to teach children that even if they try their best, they might not win the top spot, but with time, would improve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I feel like every time a Pokemon gen ends there's always rumors and claims the anime is going to end or Ash will be phased out this time for sure but then it never happens. Maybe at best it will take a hiatus for them to hire more staff for the next season but I'm doubtful this will be the end of the Pokemon anime just when they have a new gen for the games coming out and I don't see them getting rid of Ash unless Rica Matsumoto retires or wants to do something else. But Ash is too much of an iconic part of the show to get rid of and we've seen in past Pokemon seasons where Ash has taken on more of a mentor role to a newbie trainer.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:21 am Reply with quote
Satoshi needs to be retired as the main character.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:38 am Reply with quote
25 years of build up but it finally happened.

I am kind of curious what they'll do for a Scarlet/Violet anime. They haven't announced or even indicated they're doing one, have they? And Journeys has had a lot of production issues, not that it prevented them from going all out for the final bout.
GolfDude

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
to be fair, the official pokemon US twitter account spoiled this yesterday when they are still 6 months behind the japanese airing of the episode on netflix.. kind of rediculous how far behind the netflix airings are.. i mean do they seriously expect to run all that filler for another 6 months just to get to the league event with the new show starting up next month?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:53 am Reply with quote
It does feel like Journeys is the end point for Ash his journey. So many old characters popping back up and now he has succeeded in his goal with an included old pokemon flashback scene (a rather emotional one). Maybe we will actually get a completely new mc, or maybe it is the end of the pokemon anime in general.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I always thought it was good to teach children that even if they try their best, they might not win the top spot, but with time, would improve.

Except with how long Ash was getting Ted Dibiase Jr’ed it was anyone guess if he would ever truly win the big one. Not to mention when the game’s let you challenge and become Pokémon Champion that’s some mixed messaging you’re sending.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Such an amazing episode!! This is the first time I’m actually convinced they may either end the show or switch protagonists.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:28 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
It does feel like Journeys is the end point for Ash his journey. So many old characters popping back up and now he has succeeded in his goal with an included old pokemon flashback scene (a rather emotional one). Maybe we will actually get a completely new mc, or maybe it is the end of the pokemon anime in general.

My guess is the latter. The Pokémon anime has run for so long, and I think the leaked episode 135 may indeed be the series finale for the anime altogether. I also speculate it could be replaced with a spinoff focused on Pikachu aimed at young kids. I hope I'm wrong about that though, because... how would a spinoff anime focused on Pikachu work? Would it be in the vein of those featurettes that were shown before the Pokémon movies prior to Sun & Moon?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3