• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: DR Movie Animates Death Note Parody in Upcoming The Simpsons Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
Bongo Comics had a Simpsons Death Note parody years ago but the writer and Nina Matsumoto the Canadian artist who drew it was not informed about this one at all. The Simpsons tv staff apparently looked down on those comics despite the creator Matt Groening founding Bongo.

Mike Reiss a long time writer on the show said in an old interview that they weren't allowed to parody Anime due to higher ups not knowing anything about it. Their Miyazaki tribute was planned well before that 6th millionth retirement announcement after The Wind Rises. They wanted Ghibli to animate a couch gag but were turned down. Miyazaki also seemingly never saw their tribute.

Mike said in another interview that Japan does not care for the show which is true and not true at the same time. Disney + has made it more widely available despite the OG dub being canceled.

I find it funny that they can't get a single actual Japanese studio to work on their show. This is just moving from one South Korean outsourcing studio to another.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
Bongo Comics had a Simpsons Death Note parody years ago but the writer and Nina Matsumoto the Canadian artist who drew it was not informed about this one at all. The Simpsons tv staff apparently looked down on those comics despite the creator Matt Groening founding Bongo.

It's pretty sad how the show staff doesn't care about the comic, considereing that Groening got his start drawing comics like Life in Hell. There're plenty of great and funny stories in the comics, lots of talented artists and writers have worked on it. This isn't the first time the show has done a story that has already been done in the comics though.

Drac wrote:
Mike Reiss a long time writer on the show said in an old interview that they weren't allowed to parody Anime due to higher ups not knowing anything about it. Their Miyazaki tribute was planned well before that 6th millionth retirement announcement after The Wind Rises. They wanted Ghibli to animate a couch gag but were turned down. Miyazaki also seemingly never saw their tribute.
Mike said in another interview that Japan does not care for the show which is true and not true at the same time. Disney + has made it more widely available despite the OG dub being canceled.

Well, The Simpsons isn't that popular in Japan as other western cartoons, perhaps its humor doesn't translate well there, though in other parts of the world like Latin America the show is incredibly popular. However I've seen some clips of the Japanese dub and there's a Japanese website that collects information about the show in that country. It doesn't surprise me that the Fox higher-ups didn't know anything anime or that they rejected those proposals, despite its popularity the show's writers claimed Fox always gave them a small budget and strict deadlines since the beginning
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
I haven't watched The Simpsons in over a decade. This has me so interested that I'll watch it. This is awesome.

I stopped watching a couple decades ago but I have watched most of the Treehouse of Horror episodes. I don't really consider them part of the series. They're more like seasonal specials.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
First time I've been interested in watching a new Simpsons' episode in well over a decade.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:02 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
Speaking about this special, all the characters look pretty cool in this anime style, but I think it'll be pretty weird hearing the show cast voicing anime-styled characters, don't know if the The Simpsons voice cast has done anime before, the only one I can remember is the late Phil Hartman (Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz) who voiced Jiji in Kiki's Delivery Service English dub.

Nancy Cartwright (Bart), has was the purple haired page in Little Nemo - Adventures in Slumberland, and when you take into account that Santa's Little Helper & Snowball II are voiced by the ever prolific Frank Welker who's voice a bunch of anime characters, especially animals / beasts (notably Totoro) as well as of course lots of Transfomers there's two at least.

And a couple of the supporting actors like Chris Edgerly have popped up in other Transformers and anime projects before.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping for references to other anime, but they kept it basic.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I felt the old comic version was better. The Treehouse of Horror version felt too short and basic. Would have also liked to have seen more Simpsons characters in anime human form.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Drac wrote:

It's pretty sad how the show staff doesn't care about the comic, considereing that Groening got his start drawing comics like Life in Hell. There're plenty of great and funny stories in the comics, lots of talented artists and writers have worked on it. This isn't the first time the show has done a story that has already been done in the comics though.

Drac wrote:

Well, The Simpsons isn't that popular in Japan as other western cartoons, perhaps its humor doesn't translate well there, though in other parts of the world like Latin America the show is incredibly popular. However I've seen some clips of the Japanese dub and there's a Japanese website that collects information about the show in that country. It doesn't surprise me that the Fox higher-ups didn't know anything anime or that they rejected those proposals, despite its popularity the show's writers claimed Fox always gave them a small budget and strict deadlines since the beginning

Apparently Simpsons had a cult following in Japan,to the point they actually listened to the fans' complaints when they recast everyone with celebrities for the movie(because doing that crap always go over well...)and redubbed it with the original cast back for home video releases. But since having just a cult following is not enough for a juggernaut like Simpsons,they gave up on the dub around somewhere after the movie came out and the show is released there in sub-only format since then(not helped that Homer's VA there died years ago.)
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Honestly, should've just made a 23 minute episode parody. This was an okay proof of concept though. Anime Lisa looks adorable and marketable.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
This was a funny one. The various shot and culture references were one thing, but the spoiler[toilet lion] had me cackling.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was one of the better newer Simpsons episodes but not the best anime parody ever. I appreciated the commitment to the art style but I would have liked to have more of the rest of the cast included. I was expecting Millhouse to be L instead.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
This was the best Halloween episode they've done in at least ten years. Naturally Death Note got all the attention, but all three segments were terrific. Definitely worth checking out even for people who don't usually watch The Simpsons anymore.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
This was the best Halloween episode they've done in at least ten years. Naturally Death Note got all the attention, but all three segments were terrific. Definitely worth checking out even for people who don't usually watch The Simpsons anymore.

Yeah, I probably haven't watched a new episode in something like 15 years, but the whole thing was great. The Death Note segment played things straighter than I would have expected, right down to the DRAMATIC WRITING SCENE. (Toilet lion got me too. Laughing ) Honestly I think my favorite part was the final segment, which was a fantastic bit of self-aware humor. "The show stopped being good after season 47!"
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
About two decades sooner could have helped making it trend

Before trending was even actually able to be a thing? Before Death Note itself actually existed? Lol
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:32 am Reply with quote
Felt weird watching the Simpsons after over a decade. Had to get used to it as I watched, but I like the segment that led up to DN, which was also book themed. But obviously I was only watching for DN. It was pretty good and they made Lisa do what Light with the whole dramatic writing and throwing the arm out. Good stuff.

Quote:
Lisa Simpson took on the role as Light with her brother Bart as the shinigami Ryuk.

You made a mistake. Bart was spoiler[LLLLLLLLLLLL].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3