• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Manga Continues Under Kentarou Miura's Assistants, Kouji Mori's Supervision

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atelier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:14 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
My biggest concern is the art. I don't see how anyone can mirror that godly level of quality Miura's work had. That said, i'm glad we're at least getting closure.

I mean, it's Miura's team, that has been working and training under him for years and assisted on his manga. I'm positive it's going to be pretty close.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:36 am Reply with quote
I dunno about you guys, but I'm actually not worried about the art. The late Miura-sensei raised one hell of a team in Studio Gaga. I'm actually thinking the changes will be felt more in the dialogues, action scenes, humor and stuff.

Honestly, I had a feeling that this would happen. But I'm still surprised it actually came true.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:49 am Reply with quote
It was a given that YA would do something and Mori discusses the production of certain scenes and illustrated outlines in the open letter but producing Vol 42 and beyond is ballsy. Mori´s body of work and reputation will now forever be overshadowed by Berserk but he was basically Miura´s bother. I don´t mind any of this but I wish that they either renumbered or changed the name of the manga. Like Berserk Legacy or whatever.

Mori won´t add anything he doesn´t know or details he doesn´t fully remember so a future adaptation of the final arcs might turn out to be a more "rounded" plot as the people doing that will be less personally attached and be willing to add meat to the bones. The quality of it all would depend on the money and talent at hand of course.

(This bodes well for HxH being finished in some form. Even if Sailor Moon herself will need to take up the writing pen.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:02 am Reply with quote
Good to hear that this continue on.
Serinox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:18 am Reply with quote
For me, Berserk died with Miura. I'll probably give this upcoming stuff a shot too, but it will be something different.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:17 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
If that was truly the case given the thirst for blood I've seen online from a number of Berserk fans they would probably be dissatisfied with an ending that didn't culminate in the death of a certain individual.
People really do just hate my boy spoiler[Isidro] that much, huh? Laughing

This is news I will need time to process. I do want to know how it all ends (though I already kind of have a feeling), but I'm also on the tail end of making peace with that lack of closure.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:25 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Mori won´t add anything he doesn´t know or details he doesn´t fully remember so a future adaptation of the final arcs might turn out to be a more "rounded" plot as the people doing that will be less personally attached and be willing to add meat to the bones. The quality of it all would depend on the money and talent at hand of course.

This right here is my biggest concern. I have no doubts that they'll be able to replicate the art, but trying to replicate the storytelling by sticking uncompromisingly to an outline of the originally intended main plot is a risky venture. I wish them the best of luck, but only time will tell how well they're able to pull it off.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
Big shoes to fill and I can't bring myself to just be happy about this but good luck!

These are such big shoes to fill that I would have to imagine that this decision was not made lightly, where every aspect of all involved will be so closely compared to Miura's work - Not an enviable position. So I'd like to think the fact that this is moving forward is truly for the best and not some kind of cashgrab. Wishing the team the best of luck and hope it works well for the fans.

Studio Gaga is comprised of the assistants who helped Miura with his artwork. A few years back they illustrated a manga entirely on their own that was written by Miura, called Duranki.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:25 am Reply with quote
Miura-sensei would be very proud in hearing this news. Kouji-sensei is a great friend, indeed.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm hopeful since it's a team that has both experience on Berserk and at least some knowledge of where it was headed. Since part of the announcement was that there would be 6 more chapters to finish the current arc, I imagine that means that at least that much was pretty well planned out by Miura already.

I'm not worried about the artwork since it will be coming from people with plenty of experience working on Berserk. What happens with the following, presumably final, arc will depend a lot on how much any of them knew about it. Like others said, if it was only a general idea, we may see an arc that is mostly functional in that it gets to the conclusion, but doesn't spend much time on smaller details since they might not be confident that it was Miura's intent.

Overall, I'm in favor of this since it would be too bad for both the readers and Miura to have it end unintentionally.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'm very very glad they're continuing it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
I don't follow the manga nor do I intend to right now, a general point is that continuing a story on after a creator dies may or may not adhere to the essence of that established story. In the case of "Berserk" here, I will say that Mori's supervision and Miura's assistants will do the continuation justice.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
I’m concerned but hopeful. Continuing a story after the author passed is always an uphill battle. Best of luck to everyone involved.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:56 am Reply with quote
I guess it's nice to finally know one way or another how they're going to proceed with the manga.

This is probably the most ideal scenario for continuing it, having someone who was so close to Miura, talked plot points with him, and actually knew the direction of the story to the end handling writing it to said ending, along with the team Miura basically trained to help draw the manga taking it over for him full-time. If there was ever a chance to bring the story to a proper conclusion and have it look about right, this would be it.

Now, obviously there's probably going to be some growing pains and it might not feel exactly the same, but I'm sure they are working hard to do the manga justice and honor Miura.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
It's nice to know that Miura left the outlines of how Berserk will end to his assistant. I know no doubt that fans will be happy to get a finished story now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3