• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Teases Next Gaming System After Switch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:48 am Reply with quote
I hope they continue with the hybrid approach.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote
That infographic of theirs is... impressively meaningless. "Integrated hardware-software," which seems to just mean "is a computer" since it applies to the Switch, DS, and Wii, which are all quite different. (And I guess they're trying to sweep the Wii U under the rug.) Release date could be anywhere from this year to 2099.

And what's with that strange pile of geometry in the background? A big bar for Nintendo accounts (did they not have those before the Switch?) with a triangle popping out for "value-added services" which I guess is NSO or something, all in a big circle to represent their "expanding IP." Seems like just an obtuse way of saying "we're gonna keep making stuff and selling it to people." I guess it at least fits with the general theme of telling us they'll make a new console eventually, which everyone already knew. Maybe it's all just to provoke word-of-mouth promotion via speculation...

...well, in that case: they probably don't plan on radically changing anything this time, since the Switch was such a huge success. Probably gonna be more of an update to that idea. Maybe fixing joycon drift, if we're in the good timeline. Or at least being less of a flop than the Wii U.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote
Nintendo have a long history of producing new consoles before their older generation has fully got its legs. Especially the game cube and wii U got pushed off quickly. It feels like the 3ds only lasted to long because they stopped doing mobile hardware entirely.

I remember how almost all 3rd party support for nintendo wii U disapered as soon as nintendo indicated they had no confidence in the hardware and where getting the successor ready asap. ironically in that time nintendo supported the existing games like splatoon and mario maker very well with updates.

But my simple point is, nintendo consoles dont last, especially when they skip backward compatibility. Which is often with their hardware gimmicks. They are hardware pushers, and they make it their policy to sell their hardware at a profit unlike sony and microsoft.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:27 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I hope they continue with the hybrid approach.

I think it's going to be a direct continuation, kind of like the Game Boy Advance or 3DS were to their previous consoles, sure the WiiU was a successor to the original Wii but the gamepad concept was a great depature from the original concept and it didn't feel like an evolution. I also can't imagine Nintendo abandoning the Switch branding, perhaps the new console will be called Switch 2, just hope they don't make the same mistakes they did with the WiiU
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote
For starters, it would be neat if they gave us over 100Gb of Internal Hard Drive space without forcing us to fork out more cash just to get an external micro SD just to store a decent amount of games on the next generation’s machine….
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they will get stuck in the chip shortage nonsense. There has to be a better way.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure they'll stick with the hybrid model, but I'd love it if they would also put out a home console version too. The Lite is great to save some money and for those who don't care about playing docked, so a cheaper version for those who don't care about playing portably would be a nice option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2